Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Actually it's a Euler diagram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't want some dolly bird telling me what to do, only men who look like they suddenly become experts in Rugby Union and BMW engine maintenance after their fifth pint of mild.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could do that automatically with procedurally generated input strings too though, so I can't really care that much that my works of zero effort art are being turned into tulip bulbs for crypto idiots.

Except this one. This is my fungicide tolkien

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's why I'm still mad we got called the "whore of the mill owners" in 1819, and also why the milliners had a good point - A Piece (Or Hat Trick) For The Guardian

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Brown apologized for calling the racist a racist, the media all gathered round and said that we need to hear the racist's important views, and it turned out they were racist and then Alan Johnson shat his pants in public to appease something entirely made up by the Sun and couldn't even do that right.

Clegg claimed that there was going to be a great repeal as a clean break from that, however in exchange for a 5p tax on plastic bags we just got austerity. There were no good options, other than the slim chance of a better voting system, but lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Just had a flashback to when the papers crucified Emily Thornbury for implying that some white van flagshagger was a racist, and then gave him an interview to explain in detail his racist views and why he wouldn't vote for Labour.
She also just posted a picture of a house with some England flags, on her account where she posts pictures of things from around England, like English village shops and Churches of England.

The sneering elitism was entirely in the minds of the audience, who made up the idea that she must think that anyone with a few England flags is some knuckle-dragging EDL fanatic.

and then...

keep punching joe posted:

gave him an interview to explain in detail his racist views and why he wouldn't vote for Labour.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"I wrote an entire reasonable essay discussing my ideas and the woke students just called me a nonce and left."
"What was the essay about, Rod?"
"noncing"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

I think one potential solution would be to make a fake training version of the internet
*Blade Runner music as the screen fades and it is revealed that we're all on the fake internet*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are other BBS type forums, but they mostly died or went across to Facebook groups.

There are also Facebook groups that are private and heavily moderated, but you usually don't get effortposts or long threads, so they become collections of memes and comments to memes and ephemeral injokes unless they're for a specific hobby or craft where you're posting stuff you made or asking specific questions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was just thinking that the only positive thing about the divine right of kings was that they were expected to prove it and if some bear or wolf got them while they were out hunting that was basically the divine removing that right.

Then they got all lazy with big curly wigs and lapdogs and fancy suits and yet still claimed to be divine and got their head cut off and that was that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What is particularly deviant about welsh rugby?
They sing about their hens laying fish on things before they play.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Put a bangin VONC on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

That seems loving insane based on the very limited data available so far.
Some health experts are loving insane.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But which complete oval office would they be chanting to hang (for the wrong reasons)?

Given all the far worse things they could have been chanting I did enjoy "Hang Mike Pence" a little.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Attempts to parody the government keep getting overtaken by the real government in more absurd ways than the parody can attempt

https://twitter.com/BBCLauraKT/status/1468510304086765571

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is why I'm glad mixed civil partnerships passed. It's the only way to stop him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

He had dozens of dicks grafted onto his body like in that Iain M Banks novel.
That's called cabinet collective responsibility.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you prop up a shipping crate with a stick and write "what if the child consents" on it you can meet Toby Young and Rod Liddle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A cuddly toy.

Boris Johnson also had sex with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Boarding up all your windows and eating nothing but corned beef sounds like one way to die choking on the output of your entrails.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not even seeing family that I like who are a short bus ride (or long walk) away. I might go for a walk with them on the bank holidays after the weekend or something, that'd be nice, but it's not worth sitting for hours indoors breathing all over each other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UK Christmas dinner plans 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope this doesn't mean that people will start associating the British Monarchy with child abuse and human trafficking. :ohdear:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When did "the welfare state" stop meaning cradle to grave care that delivers a positive social and economic benefit in the kind of paternalist Bismarckian manner and start meaning the bad lazy proles, and was it before or after "benefits" stopped meaning pensions and unemployment insurance and social assistance and started meaning bad thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting how they phrase the big question as "The government should spend more money on welfare benefits for the poor, even if it leads to higher taxes".

Interesting on three counts, firstly because you can modulate almost any question with "even if it leads to higher taxes", support for reunification in Ireland goes down quite a bit if you tack on "even if it leads to higher taxes", I bet the supposed high levels of support for the monarchy in Britain would drop if you phrased it "do you support keeping a monarch as head of state, even if it leads to higher taxes" and so on.

Second because those higher taxes are presented absent any macroeconomic effects, I bet "would you like a 5% hike in corporation tax?" would play differently among small business owners to "would you like a 5% hike in corporation tax if it meant an 80% chance of a 10% increase in revenue?" but taxes just go into the tax hole. (See also 'tax and spend' becoming a pejorative rather than an assumed function of state.)

And third is "for the poor", as if that's a fixed group that sits there being all Dickensian and starving (or Oliverian and eating chips and widescreen televisions) rather than something that most people are only ever a bad fall or a car accident away from joining.

Andoman posted:

It literally beggers belief - I also liked the line about not taking retrospective action, so they take action against crimes before they happen??
That's what stop and search laws were supposed to be about (but not what they're actually about).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When they run south of the border.

Or more likely when George Galloway sets up the Social Nationalist Party with his ballbag as a logo and a bunch of people vote for them by mistake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

the fact that FPTP is a red team blue team game
This is the main problem. If we shitcan Labour for being poo poo, where does the alternative left party rise from the ashes? It's more likely under FPTP that we get a binary division between a lock 'em up National Conservative party and an FBPE Liberal free markets party, or a party representing the interests of BTL landlords and landowners against a party representing the interests of the service and finance sector.

What the unions can do with money they free up from supporting Labour will be interesting as to where this goes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see that Monbiot has decided to heap unequivocal praise upon Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud in this round of If You Don't Support My Guy You Love The Other Guy, the game for 1-5 disingenuous dickheads.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even the biggest orthodox ML tank commander I know was basically in the "Assad is like Saddam, probably not a great guy but what are you going to do, regime change him? Support the turbo-Islamists? The Western backed insurgents? That all worked well lol" which sure there's bits you can strongly disagree with in that but equivocating it to the handful of "Assad is the Lion of Syria and the only true light of Ba'ath Arab Liberation" weirdoes is really stupid and can only come from spending too much time online and not actually talking to people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends on the musical.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely believe Labour would have won in 2019 if it hadn't completely shat the bed on its Brexit strategy.
Fortunately the shadow brexit minister left the party and was never heard from again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

does anyone have a link to that anti-mask protest vid that someone dubbed over with "we're a bunch of cunts" please

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

She was talking up her amazing idea of unregulated "micro-nannies" that parents would all turn to one or two hours at a time to solve both the childcare crisis and poverty..
You could use a public-private key pair to upload the location of your children to a system with absolutely no DBS checks and then the system generates a nonce.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's always a weird feeling when two very different things I'm following cross over, in this case the ongoing failure of environmental responsibility by the British government and the complete corruption in Romanian incinerator operators.

Like being some film noir detective who just received the newspaper cuttings from my man in Bucharest, only it's the depressing cynical hardboiled genre where everyone stays corrupt forever and I just sigh and drink and the screen fades to sounds of Boris Johnson taking a farty poo poo into a river.

I might start burning all my recycling in my back yard because at least it's marginally better than sticking it into the lungs of some poor bastards who already have the worst air quality in Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting how some of the original fascists post 1918 epidemic were (on paper at least) public health fanatics, even if their obsession with social cleanliness went in a really bad direction, whereas these pricks just want to wipe their filthy taint all over the grocery aisle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We needed Matt Housecock MP to dramatically arrive and suggest making the llama immunocompromised to get the sample.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smash my mind into pieces, IPCC report.

Tesseraction posted:

It's true that journalists are often trying to lead you into a mistake
The journalist Boris Johnson led the politician Boris Johnson into the mistake of being Boris Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When did we stop calling them tidal waves anyway?