Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It was in the CSPAM thread and was pretty obviously a piss-take, I assume of the goon who low-carbed himself into kidney failure.

Just because it's a piss take doesn't mean it's not a thing.
My friend sent me this just after I read that Wang Commander tweet. It's like there is a culture of people who are mainlining Covid vaccines.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1470161631430778886?t=QwKzDyTZh5oNNirKLpx95Q&s=08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Borrovan posted:

She did write a detective novel about (cw transphobia) a transvestite who disguised himself as a woman to lure his female victims to their death, which is even less subtle than your idea tbh

This is just how accessory works, it's not specific to rape, & yeah it makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that if you e.g. (cw the obvious) forcibly penetrate someone with an object that's a less serious offence than if you used a penis, because of the inherent magic in penises or something (JK?)

So my knowledge of the law comes from Irish law but it makes a little more sense here.

(CW law around sexual offences.)

The offence of Rape is set out in Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981.

This not only defines Rape as being specifically between a Man and a Woman (this is the language used in the act.) But also that it has to consist of the act of P into the V.

To get around the fact there is violence that takes other forms, there is a more expansive offence under Secrion 4 of the Criminal Law (Rape) (Ammendment) Act 1990 that covers offences such as P into the Mouth, the A or the insertion of objects into the V.

Sentence wise it's identical to a Section 2 charge and is informally known by practitioners as Section 4 Rape. As far as I can see, it is wide enough to cover a multitude of potential offences and pretty much works.

I know there has been lots of talk about creating a new Consolidated Sexual Offences Act to replace the existing piecemeal laws, but anytime these things come up they get abandoned due to the amount of work involved and a fear of getting something wrong.

In other news, expect Boris to go back to trying to bring back his proposed law to make it so nobody can be prosecuted for anything that happened during the Troubles "for the sake of giving closure to the victims."

UK Supreme Court rules PSNI decision not to investigate Hooded Men case was unlawful https://jrnl.ie/5630585

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1471060452671209474?t=G43VN6iMFfAVyPbvYedFng&s=19

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 15, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Camrath posted:

Anecdotally, I live literally a mile from the border of North Shropshire constituency so all my local social media feeds are centered around Market Drayton, which is in it. And people are getting righteously sick of the amount of campaigning from the Lib Dems in particular.

Frankly I’ll be amazed if the Tories lose. But hey, at least I got to spend a fun afternoon a few weeks ago bullying multiple candidates (refuk, libdem and Labour- labour’s guy in particular looks like he was stamped out of a press at a Young Labour facility, as did all his entourage.)

Looks like you made the right decision in cancelling your Christmas trip to France*.

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1471433063485878273?t=mzmAAs9gsa7a4WyxV8QhCQ&s=19

I have been in a similar dilemma. I booked flights to and from Scotland to bring my daughter over after Christmas. It would be her first time back in Ireland since the Pandemic began and it would let her meet her new sister in person.

But between Omicron and all the new restrictions being slowly brought in I think I'm going to have to take the decision to cancel the trip and try and reschedule it for next year. I don't want to have to do it, but the constant changing of rules means I don't want either of us to be stuck in quarantine or getting sick.
My decision has also been focused because I have started a new job, but I don't get any time off until the new year when my full alotments of holidays will appear. (Currently only have 0.5 days off because I started this week.)

So I understand the stress you went through.

* = That was you earlier in the thread talking about going to France as part of a Christmas visit to your family? Or do I have you mixed up with another poster.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Food: the paneer turned out very crumbly and almost without flavour (slight hint of cottage cheese) so i need to work on my technique for a more solid product but happy to make something edible.

Tastes nice in a bun with salt & black pepper. :-)

Literally just consumed and already going back to contemplating your (cheese) orb.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

We tried that for a couple of days. Me going to bed at 8pm and getting up at 3am to take over until my other half got up at 9am.

Tricky thing is, I'm the only one that can drive and my other half has insomnia and can't ever get to sleep earlier than she needs to.

So when it came to the next day I was often a bit too exhausted to drive to do things like pick up the groceries or take them to visit family members or hospital appointments, etc.

It also wouldn't work for when I go back to work in a few weeks so we've recently swapped to each taking turns to get up for a feed through the night.

I go to bed at 11pm while she feeds 12 to 1. I'm up at 3 to 4 to give him another feed, then she's up at 6 to 7 for the next one, then we're both up 9 to 10 before she has a nap to top up sleep.

It's been a mixed bag but I think that's mostly because his daily routine has been messed about with us having to travel to things for him (like registering birth) meaning we've had to introduce semi random formula bottle feeds. Plus he has a lot of reflux so that keeps him up.

Anyway, sorry for baby chat but it just twigged that the government (and my crappy company) think that 2 weeks is just enough time to get this stuff sorted.

As another new(ish) parent I deeply empathise. (Our baby will be six months next week.)

The sleep stuff is so rough, particularly at the start. We both tried sleeping with a "I take this feed, you take the next feed" routine and that sort of worked. It seems like you have a system that works for you.

A couple of rough bullet points if you care for them. (And for any new or soon to be new parent.)

• We had been told to feed our baba every two hours all as part of the process of her getting her weight up. We did it through a mix of breast feeding with some bottle feeding and she did really well in putting on weight. We were then told by the doctors/nurses that they were shocked that we actually stuck to the every two hour schedule. They tell new parents to do it every two hours and figure they won't stick to it but that they'll get most of the way there. So don't panic if you don't hit every target, it's more aspirational.
  • It get's so much easier when you are told to do it every three hours. I know it doesn't sound like much but it means going from three feeds overnight to two. And eventually they tell you to not wake them and let them tell you when to feed. Which again makes a huge difference. Our little angel baby started sleeping through the night after about two and a half months. Hopefully it happens to you soon.
  • Speaking of timed feeds, get an App. My wife uses an App to record when she feeds and for how long. This is crucial since you are going to be so sleep deprived you won't remember feeds after a while.
  • When it comes to electronic reminders, do the same for when you give them medicine. Make a note (I WhatsApp the time to my wife) of when you give them Calpol/Gripe Water/ whatever medicine. It sounds silly but you will want to know when that six hour window is up so you can give them another dose, because you will be so tired you will otherwise forget.
  • When it comes to medicines, you can get special soothers that you can hook up plastic syringes to so they can suck their 2.5/5 mil doses instead of trying to just squirt it into their mouths like they are pets. These soothers are a godsend. Get one, and get a bunch of small plastic syringes from your pharmacy. Just hand-wash them and change the syringe every couple of weeks when they get stuck and won't plunge.
  • To help with sleep I strongly recommend getting a White Noise machine. Get used to putting them near where the baby sleeps and putting them on. They really help block noises and can make sure your baby gets longer uninterrupted sleeps.
  • Barry was talking about baby farts. The main character of 1990's themed FPS, Lo-Wang, was wrong. Baby farts are not weak.
    They are so smelly and loud and hilarious. They can also be huge discomfort for the baby. Talk to a doctor or pharmacists, they will probably recommend Gripe Water. (Just make sure it doesn't have alcohol in it. That was what all the old ones were like.) It really helps, I recommend the dosing syringe.
  • The other big thing I found that helped with babies with tummy troubles is gently rubbing them on the bum on the outside of their nappy. Give them occasional (gentle) smacks on the bum on the outside of the nappy. I know that this makes me sound really dodgy, but it helps sooth the baby and can make them fart which will help the baby.
  • When it comes to winding the baby don't do hard back slaps. They hurt the baby and are bad for the spine. Better to rub their back up and down to force the air out and they'll burp. This is also hilarious.
  • Sleep. Be really careful over how tired you are. There were times that I felt fine to do stuff and then almost fell asleep in the car while driving. Be careful and be prepared to pull over and rest if you think you are too tired.

There are tons of more points if anyone finds this stuff useful.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

It's capitalism, baby(ies).

Nah, really it's a hosed situation.

I think it's a mix of capitalism but also the Patriarchy.

A lot of ideas about how looking after babies is purely a woman's job and how hard can it? Surely all you need is two weeks to recover from giving birth? And post partum depression isn't a real thing.
Even moving past the most gross sexist things, there is a lot of assumptions in our society that the mother and not the father should just KNOW what to do when it comes to parenting.
Like ideas that the media we have been consuming all our lives teach us this. ("Girls play with dolls. So that is training for raising babies." Etc...)

This gave me a sort of idea that some video game company should make a Dark Souls/Bloodbourne type game which is all about raising a baby. (Boss fights are complicated rituals of checking temperature, holding the baby in the right posisition, burping, changing nappies and swaddling them before carefully placing them in cots. All to get a big screen that says "Wee One Asleep!")
By hyping how difficult it all is, you'd pull in masochist gamers who pride themselves on defeating challenges while also raising a generation of young people to gain vital nurturing/parenting instincts.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OzyMandrill posted:

babies: People far stupider than you have been successfully rearing babies without killing them/each other for millenia. Don't sweat it ;)

Not to be a huge downer, but while true this advice is also less effective than you might think. By and large as a species we have been breeding and growing the next generation successfully constantly.
On the flip side infant/child death (not to mention miscarriages and stillbirths) are something that does happen a lot. And it remains one of the last big taboos in society. People basically completely shut down when this topic ever comes up in conversation.

And I get it. As a parent your brain basically gets re-wired to be constantly worried about your babies health. It's such a big, huge thing that you don't want to confront it so you stay away from the topic. While at the same time, being hugely scared about all the small issues with your baby.
But if you have lost a child (l have) then it's super anxiety you always deal with.

An example? Most parents will find themselves staring at their sleeping baby just to make sure they are still breathing. This is completely normal.
I do this. I also will sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and try to see if my baby is still breathing. Which in a dark room with no lights, is quite difficult. This is due to padt trauma. But you get used to it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Number go up

Population go down.

That's not my department

Says Boris Van Braun.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In relation to Mr. Roberts case, the way it was presented was a comment that he got 14 years for protesting. As if he was solely charged with a charge related to protesting and given that as a sentence.
He wasn't, he was charged with a number of offences the most serious of which was Rioting, endangering life using fire and causing criminal damage using fire*

Now you can argue that all this arose during the course of a protest. But what started as a protest turned into a riot based on what happened next.

The law (and I suspect the average person if asked) has a clear idea of the line about what is protesting and what is rioting.

*= Which the law regards as more serious than normal criminal damage because it can get out of hand far more easily than smashing stuff with baseball bats.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dabir posted:

I think we still have something like that upstairs here. You put a coin in its hand and pull the lever and it lifts it up and tips it into its mouth. That sound like the one? I haven't seen it in years but I remember it seeming properly ancient even 20+ years ago.

E: I also have, amongst my many Agatha Christies, a copy of And Then There Were None from 1973, then published under its rather more infamous original title. Yes, 18 printings, well into the 1970s, and they were still happily running with the hard R on the front, back *and* on the first page inside the cover (and of course throughout). Bought it in a charity shop when I was about 12, didn't think anything of the name. I was pretty sheltered from actual racism back then so I might not even have known it was a bad word at the time. Should probably look into getting a more recent copy one of these days.

Wow. All this time I thought the problematic name for that story was "Ten Little Indians."
Didn't realize there was a more hardcore version out there. Not to mention the original cover that I found on it's Wikipedia page and yikes.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, not sure how keen id be on my lawyer knowing i was hosed and just trying to drop in cheeky song lyrics into my defence.

Also they mention 200 grand of damage was done, not even necessarily by him, his much does incarcerating someone for a decade plus cost?

The monetary damage done during crimes is mostly used as a vague outline as to how many thing were broke as opposed to trying some judicial arithmetic.

The Criminal justice system breaks down entirely if you try and view it in some Private Company Cost/Benefit analysis.
Like a murder case from investigation to trial and conviction (even a straightforward one) will cost in or around £500,000 to £1,000,000. And at the end you don't get any money back. (Nor do you get to bring the dead person back to life.)
If you were a completely soulless accountant type you could say "stop investigating and prosecuting murders. They cost too much money without any returns." And you'd be right.
You'd just then have to factor in how much money would it cost if society went full "The Purge" after this.

Really the only arm of Justice that is profitable are fine based crimes like speeding, driving without insurance, not having TV licences, not picking up dog poo etc...

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 18, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

happyhippy posted:

https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_laws.php

Seems to be 'an even more naughty boy'.
Can't prove he was speeding, so those laws don't count.
And the lesser charge is 'be in charge while drunk/drugs' which is just a fine and 10 points max.
This charge gives him upto a year in jail.

But he's Tory, so gently caress all apart from a warning.

This is something that came up this week when I saw Katy Price getting a two year driving disqualification for flipping her car while on drink and drugs and driving while disqualified.

It boggles the mind as in Ireland all driving while intoxicated driving offences carry mandatory disqualification periods (that are doubled if you are convicted again while disqualified. So Ms. Price, as I understand it, would have been looking at minimum six years disqualification for what she did and possibly more.)

Now mandatory driving disqualifications sound great if you are a law and order type, they do result in 99% of all driving cases being contested as most clients will admit that they did it, but they can't afford to loose their licence and so they have to contest the case. So it would likely increase the court backlog if you brought it in.

One judge I appeared in front of was known for giving truly ridiculous punishments. If he took a dislike to your client he would ask how old they were and them tailor the driving bad so it wouldn't end until they were 100.
Often these cases were immediately appealed and lowered on appeal, but more than once I would find a client with a 30 or 40 year driving ban and know instantly who imposed it and what could be done to fix it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

who backstabs the backstabbers

The bus drivers?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

My family have managed to extend the usual Christmas squabbling by having a pre-fight about whether Christmas should go ahead.

The person most vociferously against gathering is pretending this has nothing to do with the fact that half the family group are vegans and thus they risk accidentally eating a vegetable from the buffet.

My sister-in-law is Vegan so for one Christmas dinner we did a full Vegan dinner.
It was nice and interesting and you don't end the day too full to do anything.

But by God, I'll never do it again. It just doesn't have any of the highs of Ham cooked in Coca Cola or turkey stuff with sausage meat or any of the really good stuff.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My family just have chicken, ham, beef and lamb (and pigs in blankets) on the table for Christmas dinner - no need to chose, just grab what you want (the unused bits all get eaten eventually).

Never got what the big deal about turkey was, it's basically just chicken but chewier. I had goose once when my brother had a fit of middle-class pretension and bought one home and it was quite nice but well-cooked chicken is still better IMO.

Actually I wonder if turkey and goose are the big Christmas meats just because they're much bigger birds and it's easier to cook one big one than two or three chickens?

Did you know that Goose was considered to be a type of fish (in particular a Barnacle) in some parts of Ireland, to allow them to be eaten during Lent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnacle_goose

As for your question, possible. Trying to cook two or three chickens well for a dinner would require multiple ovens which weren't a thing until recently. (and even then, that's mostly two ovens at most.)

A full Turkey is a tough meal to cook correctly. (Though if it's done well you have days worth of eating from it. Certainly the idea of turkey sandwiches on St. Stephen's day is making my mouth water.) I prefer to cook just a crown of turkey on Christmas. Last year I did that and the Ham for me, the wife and mother-in-law and had a Nut Loaf for the Vegan Sister-in-law. By the time we had finished dinner, I found out my dad had only just finished cooking his full Turkey.

So my preference would be to go for a smaller (but still substantial) Turkey Crown to cook. Only upgrade to full Turkey if you have a bunch of people to feed. And you want left overs to make a Turkey Satay with.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the quiet batpeople that are the worst, ugh

This post makes Cassandra Cain said.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

You can see the start of a positive result in the third one as well. It’s faint, but it’s there.

Ah yes flashbacks to when my wife was taking home pregnancy tests. At times it was like staring at Norse runestones trying to figure out what they say.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The part that I found amazing in all that is that the Court Services just let him dial into his case over Zoom without knowing where he is.

Like over here, all video link situations are being done in specific locations that they know in advance (from Prisons, Garda Stations, Court buildings.)

But this could literally have flown to Bermuda, says he has Covid and has to attend his trial by Zoom and nobody seems to have verified where he is.
Like if he is convicted over this and he's not in the country, they are going to have a hard time imposing a sentence. And this fellow doesn't strike me as having enough of an inherent respect for the legal system to just turn up if he gets potted.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's incredible to imagine the absolute neck of someone telling a jusge, lawyer and assembled court that you know the law better than them. Absolutely stunning reality denial going on there.

You'd be surprised.
One case I was involved in had a witness arguing with a senior counsel about what the legal distinction between burglary and aggravated burglary.

The witness insisted that agg burglary was just if they caught you with a screw driver when you were trying to burglaries a place.
The SC tried to explain that aggravated burglary was when you armed yourself with a weapon during the course of a burglary, but the witness disputed all of this.

The witness was a prisoner serving a sentence foe aggravated burglary.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Just got 'recommended' one with the description

In 💩, with full and reliable documentation,  examines the anti-life character of the 'progressive' era.

Darksied Is....interested in this book.

Bobstar posted:

Crossposting from the Simpsons meme thread

I never knew there was a Simpsons meme thread on SA. I think I'm going to end up losing a lot of my time to this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Again not to defend the man, isn't there also a bit of a difference if this happened in April of 2021 as opposed to Christmas time 2020? Like one time was markedly worse for the public.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

You want to see expensive second hand games, just look at what Mega CD games go for on the retro Market.
Snatcher on Mega CD (so the PAL version) goes for £400+.

In other news I loved this tweet by Outside Xtra's Ellen.

https://twitter.com/icklenellierose/status/1474091513705545734?t=WqRrB9IxHuC7W97Z1oO12g&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Hey remember when thr Daily Mail lost that court case to Meghan earlier this year and the judge ordered that they had to print said fact on their front page?

Well technically they complied with that today!

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1474861830971473925?t=sH0SKVZsWq0Ts79o_gUPPA&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Payndz posted:

Weird legal question that a goon may be able to answer: could someone be done for contempt of court *after* the verdict has been delivered, and technically the result of the trial can no longer be influenced? (Not something I'm planning to do myself, it's for a story I'm writing.)

Basically, if the foreman said "Not guilty... [waits for stunned/relieved reactions to die down] but [EVIDENCE] proves that the real killer is sitting right there! [points at someone in front row of the gallery]", what (if any) punishment could the judge hit them with?

There seems to be multiple questions here.

First question about contempt of court. Funnily contempt is one where either a person admits it and asks to be allowed Purge their contempt. (IE apologise and pay a hefty sum of money to a nominated charity. You see this happen when a newspaper reports on something that happened in a court room that it wasn't supposed to. Like for example if a newspaper printed the name of a witness in trial who was supposed to go unnamed because they were a minor.)
Or the person contests the contempt charge and a trial is held. But the trial doesn't happen until the trial where the alleged contempt occurred has concluded, since it would just delay the main trial.
And in that case the contempt trial would happen long after the risk of contempt is over or if the contempt had an effect.
For example if a witness refused to testify in a murder trial, they could be brought up on contempt charges. So even if a person was convicted of murder, the non-attending witness could still be tried for contempt and the fact that a murderer could have gone free would be an aggravating factor in sentencing.

You second question, the foremen/forewoman of a jury has little actual weight in a trial. In fact the jury technically are both very important and not important at all. They try the facts put before them but only with regards to what charges are before them. They can pronounce the accused guilty or not guilty, but that's it. The court doesn't want to know (and in fact most times the court actively doesn't want to know) what a jury is thinking.
Hearing that a jury decided to "do their own investigations because the police didn't do a good enough job" or "the jury asked tons of questions on subjects that the judge ruled inadmissible " have been fertile grounds for appeals of convictions.
A jury finding someone not guilty but someone else guilty would be this really weird phantom zone. Technically the jury have gone outside their remit. But once someone is acquited, it's very rare for the State to appeal. Often they take the L and go onto the next case.
Could they be charged with contempt? The question is who to charge them with it? Contempt of court cases are always heard by the presiding judge. But the judge has a duty to keep a control of their jury. A contempt case would also be an admission of a failure by the judge on their own role in the trial.

So really it's so strange and outlandish that likely nothing would happen. A jury deciding that a person not before the court killed someone might get lots of traction in the newspapers and might prompt a new investigation by the police, but it won't result in any legal repercussions.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Payndz posted:

Yes, fortunately. I've already written some lighthearted 'amateur detective with a gimmick' stories with the same main character, and the premise for this one is that he gets called for jury duty in a murder trial, which looks like an absolute slam-dunk conviction... until he spots something in the evidence that the police considered so trivial they ignored it, but with his esoteric knowledge he realises the whole case falls apart. The actual killer gave evidence that with the defendant innocent means they're the only other possible suspect. So he then has to convince the other jurors, and do his dramatic reveal after delivering the not guilty verdict.

It's not Rumpole, but I'd like to be at least vaguely realistic in the judge's reaction (I'm tempted to have the police open a new investigation against the real killer, but have my detective still get a week in pokey for contempt because the judge is a dick.)

I've done jury service in the past, but a lot of my memories of it have faded because of how boring the entire process is.

If you look at a jury summons there are reasons given for why you shouldn't serve on a jury. (For instance if you are a lawyer or work in some offices like the Pathogists office and I think the Social Welfare Office. Because you might know the accused was on welfare and that would prejudice you?)

Anyway it is an offence to serve on a jury when you know you aren't supposed to. So if you wanted a way for your main character to get locked up for doing the right thing, that would be an avenue to do so.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Borrovan posted:

This one doesn't work anymore :(

It still works where I'm from. It came up when I was called for Jury service about four-five years ago.

I mean, if I got put on a jury I would be like "there are members of the prison service in this court. That means this person has been refused bail." So already I am up on knowing things I'm not supposed to know in court.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Angepain posted:

I've been reliably informed that seeing someone with two phones means they are a criminal and must be reported to the police. Dialing 999 on Jaeluni as we speak.

Nah two phones is perfectly normal.

Three phones? That's means they are totally a drug dealer.

So my wife got three phones (her personal one, one for work and then another one that she uses for her training and counselling that she wants to do full time.)

Naturally I put all three numbers into my phones contact as separate entries and put the third phone down as "(wife's name) drug dealer phone."
And for the picture, I took a photo of a heron that lives around our home.

Podcast talk: The latest Podcasting is Praxis episode dropped. Big shout out to the crew for dropping a reference to Microprose's Covert Action in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jugvHKZzS-Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking about Colds and Covids, I was sure I saw an article that talked about this idea that the common cold would take up the spaces that Covid tries to infect and provides a temporary immunity(?) to Covid while you have it.
But I went searching and I couldn't find anything about it on Google and frankly I don't want to be spreading false medical advice during a pandemic.

But anecdotally I have seen a lot of people on social media talking about having negative Antigen tests but cold like symptoms. And the news are doing stories about the difference and similarities in symptoms between Covid and the cold.