Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still blown away by that guy who streams geoguessr on super hard mode and somehow recognises a tree as being a bit ukranian looking and gets within 1km of the target

If it's the guy I'm thinking of he also does an occasional series where he tries to cross a country in a completely straight line, completely disregarding any land borders in his way.

Anyway sorry, back to Israel Palestine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

bessantj posted:

This is what I don't get, trans women have been using women's toilets for decades now surely. If it was a big thing for trans women to assault cis women in the toilets then it would have come up before now, so why has the light been shone on it now?

Because it's based in hate, not facts.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It's yet more "unity is when nobody is telling me I'm wrong" from a Twitter blue-tick.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
If they called an election tomorrow I'd vote NIP probably. I'm having real problems squaring the fact that FPTP is a red team blue team game, and I don't want to enable the tories, but the only parties with principles I can get on board with are minor parties. Whether I like it or not I'm relatively privileged, so it feels like a safe move for me to tell myself it's OK to vote my beliefs when I'm not currently in hardship. (Unless you want to count the experience of being trans on terf island, but even then). But what do you do when the only parties that have a stated cause of dismantling the privileges you benefit from have little to no chance of getting in?

If it feels like there's a groundswell of "vote labour anyway even though they're poo poo now" I guess I'll go along with and then agitate for more leftward policy, if they'll even let me join again at this point. I burnt some bridges with the terfs running my CLP. IDK. Bleak, but I can't imagine what it's like to be in the same idealogical position and also getting hosed harder by the economic state of things.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jedit posted:

Carrie Symonds cheated on her partner to be Boris's mistress when Boris was still married to his now ex-wife, who I think may have been pregnant at the time - I know Boris has done that at least once, but the timeline of his infidelities is impossible to track. Either way she's a repellent person who knew exactly what she was crawling into bed with. She chose this.

E: no, it was the other wife. Marina Wheeler just got discarded.

We don't know her motivations and we don't know what went on behind closed doors. Yes, she made a horrible decision but Boris is the one with the pattern of behaviour and we don't need to get to him through her

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
That'd get you an elbow in the ribs at just about anything except Mamma Mia

But it's poo poo advice anyway. Theatre performers got nothing throughout the lockdown despite shows being mandated closed. You might agree or disagree if they should've got relief money. But they're opening now, in the pandemic, because financially they have to if they're going to continue. This means people whose livelihood depends on taking exceptionally good care of their breathing are performing in a room of 1000, 2000 people all breathing the same air, pointed their way. A lot of them are begging audiences to stay masked throughout.

Absolutely poo poo for the government to be saying "oh yeah, take your masks off and join in", and I'm betting they talked to nobody in the theatre business

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Tarnop posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended those GeoWizard straight line walks videos. They've been a welcome distraction over the course of a rough few days

Mission Across Wales 3 drops in a few days!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I got a letter from the government the other day. Opened it, read it, it said they are trialling a couple of anti covid drugs that stop you getting seriously ill as long as you catch yourself within 24 hours of getting ill. So they're sending me a PCR test, which is nice. I mean it's terrifying to be immunocompromised in a country that... well. *gestures to all of this* I'm voluntarily locking myself down anyway but it was a nice surprise to feel like there was another bit of contingency.

Thought I'd mention it in case there are any other at-risk goons in the thread, you might be getting similar.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Merry Christmas from Covidious Albion

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Merry Christmas UKMT :) Chosen family,. Cats, Goose.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
There's an app you can get where you give it a time you want to not look at your phone for and you plant a tree in your little forest. If you succeed the tree grows and you keep it, if you cave it dies. You can play it collaboratively with a friend so you can help each other to wean off the cycle of checking phones all the time

. I did it for a while, really helped me stop doing that loop of oh my notification light is going, ooh well better check Twitter and getting pulled into rage bait.

Not trying to say it's a cure for suicidal ideation or anything but hey whatever tools you have, right?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't know. I feel like it's one of the many ways that counselling and mental health care in the UK gets it really wrong and has no real experience of the working class. I had a counsellor tell me I was 'just' suffering from working class guilt and I should take a year off to try and be a writer if that's what I wanted. And I just looked at her in disbelief thinking that I cannot afford to do that. Who the gently caress can afford to do that.

That is a bit poo poo and I'm sorry you had to face that. I hope it didn't derail things.

One sad thing about therapy is that you have to find one who's a good fit for you and you can get a long way into therapy before someone comes out with something that makes it obvious they're not. And just getting access to therapy is such a loving slog, ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with MH issues and the people funding it can be sticking their oars in as well, like "we SENT you to a place, what do you mean you want someone else" when it's just not on you at all, it's just how it goes. You end up having to almost audition people up front because starting over with a new therapist... just sucks, especially if it means diving into trauma for the new one cos it turns out the last one was a transphobe or a classist idiot or whatever it is and the relationship broke down.

It should all be free and much easier to access and chop and change and find the right person that can help you and it's a crime that it only ends up being like that for people with the gift of infinite money patience and time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The new labour new danger billboards were right but for all the wrong reasons