Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Re: Anti-Semitim and the left. I think it was Richard Littlejohn (or possibly Rod Liddle) in the mid 2000s that did a documentary about how Anti-Semitic Britain is and decided that it was because of the left. And Muslims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Missed this one.
Yeah, I know it's only a ward but still:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1466729259033104389?s=20

That reminds me, there was a by-election for my ward on Tuesday. I didn't end u voting because I'm ill. The only candidate to visit was the Lib Dem one, who is running on the same platform as the Labour candidate. He said that it was an incredibly tight race between him and the Labour candidate so every vote counted, lets have a look at the results:

quote:

Gavin John Horton, Welsh Labour – 641 votes ELECTED

John Edmunds Miller, Welsh Liberal Democrats – 258 votes

Muhammad Tariq, Conservative and Unionist Party - 93

Oh yes, very close.

And streaming & music companies ripping off the artists again.

quote:

Despite her album having been streamed 750,000 times, The Anchoress has not made a single penny from it.

On paper, 2020-21 was singer Catherine Davies' most successful year, yet she ended it failing to break even.

She described the situation as "pretty bleak" and said action was needed to stop musicians leaving the industry.

At present, Spotify is believed to pay between £0.002 and £0.0038 per stream, while Apple Music pays about £0.0059 and YouTube around £0.00052.

Davies believes streaming services are a "double-edged sword", directing people who do not want to pay £10 for a CD or £25 for vinyl towards an artist's music.

She added: "It's a route to fans. I have 111,000 on Spotify and a top 40 record this year, but it doesn't trickle down.

"It needs to be better remunerated. None are doing it to become millionaires, but it would be nice to pay the mortgage."

About 90% of musicians earn less than £1,000 a month, but Davies said many were using services such as Bandcamp where the artist sells the music directly, or make more money from merchandise such as T-shirts and limited edition vinyl.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sebzilla posted:

As with most Labour successes in the last year or two (Wales, Preston) I believe this comes from the local party basically doing their own thing and ignoring the direction of travel from Southside.

In 2017 they got their first councillor, now they have as many as the Tories.

There's a good article about in on Labourlist

https://labourlist.org/2021/06/how-to-beat-the-tories-in-their-heartlands-the-story-of-east-worthing/

^^^ That's a really cool way to go about things.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

On that note, Coronation Street had a trans character starting in 1998:

https://twitter.com/RussellHayward/status/1453861254913740802?s=20

Now I didn't actually watch Coronation Street but from what I've read others saying it seems to have been handled quite well?

This is what I don't get, trans women have been using women's toilets for decades now surely. If it was a big thing for trans women to assault cis women in the toilets then it would have come up before now, so why has the light been shone on it now?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gambrinus posted:

I've been on here, Gwl@d (Welsh rugby site for deviants), and onetouchfootball for over 20 years now.

They are all far better than Twitter.

Although if I was in charge I would like to see an end to contextless linking to Twitter posts.

Why would you do that to yourself?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bored in work today I was browsing books on Amazon and gently caress me there is a huge industry in people writing books about how "the left" has lost its way and how "wokeism" is destroying the western world. I read the blurbs and reviews and it seems most of them were written after the author spent a handful of days on twitter. Saw noting in the other direction.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

Is that the same industry that's furiously buying up wheelbarrows full of each other's books to throw in a landfill so they get to be on the NYT bestseller list?

Maybe, there were a mix of British and U.S. books. Books like The Madness of Crowds and some American book complaining about how PC culture was uprooting the western world through its roots in post modern neo Marixism.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

"The woke left can't tell the difference between their online echo chambers and reality," I write, citing exclusively tweets about the 69 genders from accounts with a dozen tweets, 6 followers (all with Pepe/maga avs) and "hard left, pro-Corbyn anti-Semites, pronouns fe/fi/fo/fum" in their bio.

I think it's something like that and watching debate bros go at it. When I think of being PC I just want good wheelchair access for everyone.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has anyone used the British version of Taco Bell? They're opening one in Newport and I'm wondering about people's opinion of it. We used to have a fairly nice Mexican restaurant in Newport but the owner died quite suddenly and it shut down.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's pretty decent. Not authentic by any means but you get a whole lot of food for your money from them.

Thanks, I'll give them a try. I haven't eaten a lot of Mexican food but what I have eaten has been great.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've walked past the one in Liverpool a couple of times and it always seemed dark and empty in there.

It is next door to the cat cafe though so

Yeah, fair enough cat meat is really great.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The shelter I got my cat from in Canning Town is only a couple of doors down from the ominously-named "Bargain Meat Centre".

A name that is both intriguing and terrifying.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There's a video of this guys routine in he thread so I thought I'd give it a look and I have no idea what anti-woke comedy is. He makes a joke about a vegan talking about being vegan a lot which, O.K. I guess. That environmentalists are middle class people who take daddy's ranger rover to protests which is a very old one. He also made a joke about plastic straws not being single use if you drink with them and they kill a turtle. He also did a bit about state schools being shitter than posh schools. Mostly it seemed like jokes people have been telling for years but updated for 2019. The more people use it the more I don't understand what "woke" means.

Also had my booster jab yesterday. Was a very long queue which is good I guess, at least people are getting their booster.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah I tracked down a routine by a guy from the Comedy Unleashed thing, didn't watch it all but opened with basically "I'm opposed to mandatory vaxx but I am at least vaxxed" and then did a bit about the Pfizer vaccine being the better German one but being very picky about being kept in the fridge etc. Not exactly the best comedy I've ever seen but nothing so outrageous that it couldn't have come from Michael McIntyre tbh.

I think the most anti woke thing he said was the he agreed with Donald Trump. The level of bravery that puts him in the same camp as only hundreds of millions of others, so brave.

His straw gag reminded me of a Christmas party a rugby club I belonged to put on. A friend of mine had gone up to get a drink for him and his girlfriend. As he was coming back he took a sip of her drink through a straw, the comedian they had on saw this and started in on how only women drink through straws and was my friend some sort of gay (though he used the F word.) Went on for about five minutes as well, prancing round the stage. About as funny as arse cancer but there you are, will this "Unsafe Space" show have such amazing comedy?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Was an hour and 45 queue at the Cardiff bay MVC yesterday. In the rain obviously

Mine wasn't as long, still spent about 25 mins in the rain, about the same inside then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

There is a new "hilarious jape" old men are doing. They go up to masked supermarket staff unmasked and go, "can you tell me where object is? *cough* *cough*" in their faces then walk away chuckling. Happening to mini about 3 times a shift and the place is rammed with unmasked absolute fuckwads who don't want to do home delivery when there are slots still available.

Jesus, that's terrible, do they get thrown out?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

The queue at the front of the building was pretty big when you arrived, but as you walked round the corner of the building the full horror of hundreds and hundreds of people snaking round the car park revealed itself

Mine wasn't as bad as that, but as I said at least people are getting their booster.

learnincurve posted:

Supermarket policy (in most places) is not to challenge unmasked or aggressive customers but to inform a manager, but no one does because of the hassle.

This is why I don't think I could work in those places anymore. You can't just cough in people's face and expect them not to react.

Jedit posted:

You may or may not know that one of Nazi cartoonist Stonetoss's gateway jokes was a vegan not being sure he could win the World Insufferability Championship because his opponent was a cyclist. Now he isn't wrong about that - in fact it's a good cartoon for his purposes because it does it very well - but wherever I see it I feel like the comedian is testing the water to lead up to "... and those blacks, hey?"

I'd never thought of it that way. Mostly it makes me think about how old the joke it, probably been round since the 80s if not before. Like a comedy Ready Player One.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Butternubs posted:

I got 2 mins into the first youtube video I found and we're already deep within TERF ISLAND territory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9lZCiGdo4&t=119s

Sadly par for the course amoung far too many people here.

95 - apparently the year the Internet was entirely privatised.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 23, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm only working Christmas day this year, going to get wasted over boxing day -> new year!

I was looking at the COVID infection rate and can you imagine if Corbyn was still leader of the Labour party, the press would be blaming him and calling for him to resign.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I worked with a guy who ate a clove of raw garlic every morning because it was "good for the heart." Didn't do much for his popularity.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Got to pick the Xmas Eve movie so am going with Batman Returns. Nothing says festive cheer like an evil penguin man / dominatrix fetish flick

I always loved the

Josh : Not a lot of reflective surfaces down in the sewer, huh?
The Penguin : Still... could be worse. My nose could be gushing blood.
Josh : Your nose could be... what do you mean by tha...
*Penguin bites Josh's nose*

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Merry Christmas all you goons, I'm off to work in half an hour. Hope you all had an excellent day.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I reckon Owly's got the right of it. I think it's more that it's the kind of idle thing that occupies the brain, maybe it makes some folks feel safer to run through some scenarios or whatever (Hell I do it with zombie attacks so...) more than like, US militia style jonesing for the chance to shoot people. Like I expect in an actual fight my response would be "Yeah fine here's my money" because it's honestly not worth me OR someone else getting hurt but, as was said, not everyone's in the same situation.

Back when I was young I'd gone out shopping with my mum. My dad was alone in the house and fell asleep in a chair, he woke up and went to the kitchen to get a drink to find someone standing inside after climbing in through an open window. He threw a punch at my dad and received a bit of a beating in return. This caused my dad to be arrested until the police sorted out what had happened and he was released. My mum was angry because the guy could have grabbed a knife as there were a few on the work top, my dad's response was just to shrug and say he'd have smacked him anyway. I know that avoiding conflict is the best way but sometimes these people break into houses of someone that actually really likes conflict.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How bad have England been in the cricket. Thanks Brexit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its all the fault of political correctness wokery actually.

Oh yeah, England can't score runs because it offends the gays.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

And if England do beat the West Indies or India they're just called colonizers.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Had a call from my brother saying he tested positive on an LFT so he's booked a PCR test. I was at his house Christmas day for dinner so I've taken a LFT and it has come back negative. Have ordered more and will do another test when one arrives.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If there's a centre convenient for you to get to, just go ahead and book the PCR test as a close contact of someone who's tested positive.

Most annoying thing about that is there was a test centre literally 5 seconds walk from my house, now I don't know where it is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The brother I had Christmas dinner with has had a positive PCR test and is now feeling like poo poo. His missus and kids are off getting tests. I've taken two LFT and both are negative but I'm booking myself, the missus and my mother (she's not making it easy) in for one as well. One drawback is we have no transport, opinions on best way to get to test centres?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

You're not meant to use public transport, so I think there's an option for home test kits.

I was thinking home kit for my mam and the missus has said she wouldn't mind walking down to one but I'm not sure if it's better to get home kits for us as well so we limit contact. Just want to make sure I do the test right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

For a moment "Tony Blair, the Duchess of Cornwall" didn't register as part of a list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Happy New Year everyone. I hope 2022 is a better year for you all.