Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

How are u posted:

I think the foibles of a "gently caress Amerikkka!" guy being unable to gently caress America is worth a chuckle :shrug:

"America, love it or leave it!"

"OK, I'll leave it."

"No."

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1476685515315462144?s=20

I’m sure this is the reason people are being denied care at overwhelmed hospitals and not anything else.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Abner Assington posted:

2021 throwing one last bit of spite at humanity by taking Betty White from us. RIP.

The Sucking Twenties

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only multiple nationality US citizens who have to pay US taxes are rich as all hell. If you're a normal person you owe nothing and have no reason except smug superiority to renounce citizenship.

"French-based AAA" makes me especially lol. I'm a US/FR dual citizen, spent about a third of my life in France, paid and owe 0 dollars to the IRS from my time there.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Twitter guy is misrepresenting the post. This is not related to anything Trump did with the protestors in front of the White House.

This is about expanding the Bivins decision - which is about whether individuals have the right to sue individuals working for the government for material loses incurred during the line of duty when no federal law exists enabling them to for that activity - to non-material damages for foreign nationals.

The specifics of the case are about whether a foreign national who was arrested during a drug smuggling operation can sue an individual working for the federal government for excessive force when he didn't receive any medical injuries or loss of income related to the force by arguing that the excessive force silenced his free speech rights because he had crossed the border into the U.S. while smuggling the drugs and was arrested there.

The Solicitor General's argument (and the court that agreed with them) was:

- Bivens only covers material damages. Extending it to allow individual federal employees to be sued while doing their job for damages that can't be calculated was never part of the Bivens decision and has never been used that way before. In Bivens, the court explicitly said it only applied to 4th amendment issues.

- That allowing this would give the courts power to run executive branch agencies and present separation of powers issues by allowing a judge to set specific federal policy without congress passing a law or the executive implementing it.

- The first amendment, fourth amendment, and various other laws already outline limitations on the federal government and congress can add new ones if they want. Allowing the court to write new laws when one does not exist would create inconsistency in how people are treated and violate Article 3 and Article 1 of the Constitution.

The main point of the case is whether the courts can write new regulations and expand laws over individual federal employee behavior when those laws don't currently exist under the Bivens decision into areas other than the 4th amendment.

It's essentially a separation of powers issue to resolve the question of: Are Congress and the Executive the more appropriate bodies to determine individual regulations for federal employees or are the courts?

drat, she was just about to turn 100 in 2 weeks.

Honestly thank you for this. Mea Culpa. Usually I try to dive deeper into things even if the “feel right” but I had a lapse in judgement here. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Time to give some upsetting and very important news:

Betty White died today :(

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only multiple nationality US citizens who have to pay US taxes are rich as all hell. If you're a normal person you owe nothing and have no reason except smug superiority to renounce citizenship.

"French-based AAA" makes me especially lol. I'm a US/FR dual citizen, spent about a third of my life in France, paid and owe 0 dollars to the IRS from my time there.

If you are actually paying taxes as an ex-pat, then you are doing very well. But, the U.S. is one of the few countries that requires ex-pats to file their taxes unless they renounce their citizenship and a lot of ex-pats bitch about that because "Why do I need to do that? I only ever went back to visit family!" But, if you made no income in the U.S., then it only takes about 10 minutes a year to do it.

If you are actually paying significant taxes as an ex-pat, then you are making well into the mid 6-figures.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Honestly thank you for this. Mea Culpa. Usually I try to dive deeper into things even if the “feel right” but I had a lapse in judgement here. Thanks for keeping me honest.

It's no problem. Law isn't really made for twitter. Also, individual cases aren't as important as the actual precedent at the Supreme Court level. Nobody even remembers that Citizens United was originally about whether a group could air a "documentary" attacking Hillary Clinton 60 days before an election without violating the McCain-Feingold provision that banned independently funded campaign ads within 60 days of an election. That specific case wasn't really very important, but the ruling about the principle ended up being massive because Roberts took it as far as he legally could.

Honestly, I kind of think that in a perfect world it would be a good idea to give courts some ability to step in to levy civil penalties against individual federal employees when situations arise where congress and their employers or the Constitution have not set rules for it, but giving the Supreme Court or a single federal judge the ability to micromanage individual federal employees and policies or decide which individual federal employees and what actions that aren't covered under current law qualify them to get sued into bankruptcy would probably end up worse than the status quo in the real world. I can see the current court allowing tons of "religious liberty" suits against federal employees just following current agency rules at HHS and FDA.

And let's be clear, the executive is fighting this because they don't want to give the courts and individual judges significant control over individual federal employees and agency policies. They aren't doing it because they are worried about individual federal employees losing their livelihood or being confused about agency policy constantly being changed by judges. It is a separation of powers thing about who gets to decide what the policies are and not about what they think the best policies are. Even if the court agreed to do everything exactly how the executive wants, the executive doesn't want to have the principle established that individual federal employees need to report to someone in a different branch of government. They also don't want the court to make rules that further allow the court to get involved in political and bureaucratic issues.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 31, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Virginia Dems are getting in some last second laws before Youngkin and the new legislature are sworn in.

Free state IDs for undocumented immigrants, hospital billing changes, changing the name of "Jefferson Davis Highway," climate change disclosure requirements for real estate, and a 5 cent surcharge on disposable plastic bags.

A few of these were passed earlier, but they are getting them started on implementation in early January to make it harder to slow walk.

D.C. is also banning gas-powered leaf blowers and restaurants from giving out disposable utensils, unless the customer specifically asks for them.

quote:

The actions taken by local and state officials are in part an effort to emerge from an array of challenges seen in 2021: the continuing coronavirus pandemic, percolating racial and ethnic tensions amid changing demographics and heightened worries about climate change after unusually heavy rainstorms flooded local neighborhoods.

“We have worked hard to build a Virginia that works better for everyone who lives here,” Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said in a statement about the new laws in his state, which Republican Glenn Youngkin, the governor-elect, will oversee after he is inaugurated on Jan. 15.

Among them is an increase in Virginia’s minimum wage to $11 per hour from the current $9.50 per hour, an effort to bridge the yawning wealth gap in the some of the nation’s most affluent suburbs. Under a law that boosts in phases what Virginians can earn, the minimum wage is scheduled to rise again, to $12 per hour, in January 2023.

Another new law in Virginia will allow undocumented immigrants to get a state-issued ID if they don’t already have a state “driver privilege card” that, under a 2020 law, allows that population to drive. Undocumented immigrants who don’t drive can use the new “special identification card” to open a bank account or rent a home, a layer of stability that immigrant advocates have sought for years.

Virginia’s General Assembly also passed a law that, as of Saturday, requires portions of Route 1 that are named after Confederate President Jefferson Davis to be called “Emancipation Highway,” part of the reckoning over the state’s Civil War legacy that has included removing Confederate monuments and renaming other roads and highways.

In the realm of climate change, a new state law requires owners of flood-prone properties to disclose that risk to potential buyers. Locally, Fairfax and Arlington counties and the city of Alexandria will implement a 5-cent surcharge on plastic shopping bags that is aimed at curbing pollution in the region’s waterways, roads and open spaces — a step the District, Montgomery County and other area localities have already taken.

Local officials say the surcharge, which does not apply to plastic bags used to carry out meat and produce, is meant to change consumer behavior over time. Any revenue generated will go toward environmental cleanup programs, educational awareness and providing reusable bags to low-income residents who would be most affected by the extra cost.

“It would be great if we didn’t collect a single nickel, as that would mean people in Fairfax County are not using disposable plastic bags at grocery stores, convenience stores and drugstores,” said Aline Althen, spokesperson for that county’s Office of Environmental and Energy Coordination.

quote:

In the District, a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers that was approved in 2018 will take effect Saturday — a delayed implementation that allowed the city and others affected time to switch to more eco-friendly electric leaf blowers or some other alternative.

The ban on gas-powered blowers comes with a potential $500 fine for violators, the culmination of a fight that began in 2016 against the notorious polluters, which can be as loud as heavy traffic and cause health problems for people who breathe their fumes.

An environmental regulation passed by the D.C. Council in 2020 — the Zero Waste Omnibus Amendment Act — has several provisions that take effect Saturday. Most affect the government and trash collection companies, but residents might notice one: Restaurants will be barred by law from simply giving out plasticware with every meal.

Instead, they must only hand out plastic forks and spoons to people who ask for them — an idea meant to keep unwanted plastic from ending up in landfills. The law also requires food-delivery apps to offer an option on their order forms asking D.C. users whether they want forks with their fries.

The Department of Energy and Environment will scroll through those apps in the new year to make sure they’re following the law, said D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3), who first introduced the zero-waste bill in 2019.

quote:

Hospitals in the state must begin relaxing their debt collection policies for low-income patients. They can no longer charge interest or additional fees on an incurred debt and must wait at least 180 days after the initial charge before suing patients who are unable to pay their bill, with a mandate to seek to modify terms of payment beforehand.

I was legitimately not aware of how bad gas-powered leaf blowers were for respiratory health and the environment compared to gas-powered lawnmowers or other yard tools. The article doesn't actually explain why, but I would assume that the gas motor in a leaf blower is not too different from a lawnmower or other tools?

Edit: apparently they are quite different.

quote:

MORE POLLUTING THAN CARS

Gas powered leaf blowers use two-cycle and four-cycle gasoline engines which produce hundreds of times more hazardous pollutants and fine particulates than automobiles. The State of California estimates that small engines such as those in leaf blowers will overtake automobiles to become the number one source of air pollution by 2020.

EXTREME NOISE

Gas powered leaf blowers create high intensity, low frequency noise that impacts nearby homes, schools and parks, disturbs wildlife, and consistently violates Portland’s noise ordinance. Operating a gas leaf blower can cause permanent hearing loss in 2 hours and can impact 90 nearby homes. The low frequency noise of gas blowers travels further than the noise from electric blowers and penetrates through windows more readily. Gas blowers create much more noise impact than electric blowers.

HEALTH RISKS

Gas leaf blowers create high levels of formaldehyde, benzine, fine particulate matter and smog forming chemicals which are known to cause dizziness, headaches, asthma attacks, heart and lung disease, cancer and dementia.

Blowers can create clouds of industrial pollutants, pollens, fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides, dried animal feces, dust and demolition debris such as lead and asbestos – polluting the air we breathe.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS

Re-fueling spills contaminate soil and waterways. Maintenance of gas powered leaf blowers produces toxic waste like fuel filters and contaminated air filters. Blowers erode, compact and dry out soil and harm plants, microorganisms and pollinators.

In addition to smog-forming emissions and toxic fumes, gas powered leaf blowers create CO2 emissions that contribute to the climate crisis.

MOST AT RISK

Operators of the equipment are most at risk, but the exhaust and dust is a danger to the general population – especially children, the elderly, people with chronic asthma and people exercising. Gas blowers are often used in parks and public spaces where many people are exposed to the dangers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/12/31/new-laws-dc-maryland-virginia/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 31, 2021

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
2 stroke engines literally put oil in the gas for lubrication and small 4 stroke engines don't have catalytic converters or sophisticated electronic fuel injection to control emissions so I can definitely see how they would be worse polluters than engines that have been regulated for 50 years at this point

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This isn't true at all, some European countries like Switzerland have lower taxes than the US. You don't have to be "rich as hell" at all to owe US taxes. France has higher taxes, which is why you haven't paid anything.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 1, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So what about the guy who wants German citizenship but can't get it without renouncing his US citizenship first? Is there any sympathy for him or should he also get a hearty lol?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's the neoliberal mindset that America is awesome and amazing and everyone should want to be an American citizen, so if you're renouncing your citizenship, surely there must be some nefarious reason, thinking America kind of sucks listed amongst them.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

America cannot fail it can only be failed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

rscott posted:

It's the neoliberal mindset that America is awesome and amazing and everyone should want to be an American citizen, so if you're renouncing your citizenship, surely there must be some nefarious reason, thinking America kind of sucks listed amongst them.

Lol it's the exact opposite, dumbass americans are extremely convinced that it's uniquely extra very stupid among the history of nations, and every american (except of course themself) is an idiot who doesn't understand.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Also Germany will give you a waiver if renouncing “is difficult” or you have to pay a fine.

The new coalition government is saying they’ll wave it all together.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Anyone else being hit by the omicron post holiday wave in there personal social circles? I'm fine so far and so are my parents, but my sister and her husband (both medical professionals and both triple vaxxed) are both sick right now with covid, and all of the people in my friend circle either A) definitely have covid B) are very sick with something that's probably covid or C) know someone they've recently been in contact with who now has Covid.

Are we just particularly unlucky, or is it like this all over?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

All over.

We are probably going to hit Literally a God drat Million Cases a Day next week.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
My family got hit with something nasty going into the holidays but no positive tests for covid or flu. So there seems to be some bad non covid things going around too.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mellow Seas posted:

All over.

We are probably going to hit Literally a God drat Million Cases a Day next week.

WELP!

Is the new variant a one and done kind of thing, or can you get it over and over again?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyone else being hit by the omicron post holiday wave in there personal social circles? I'm fine so far and so are my parents, but my sister and her husband (both medical professionals and both triple vaxxed) are both sick right now with covid, and all of the people in my friend circle either A) definitely have covid B) are very sick with something that's probably covid or C) know someone they've recently been in contact with who now has Covid.

My wife tested positive a couple days ago, which means I have it too. Luckily her symptoms are super-mild (just fatigue and a little sneezing and light coughing), and if I have it, I'm asymptomatic so far. Thank you, vaccines and boosters.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My very large extended family seems fine so far. We'll see how I'm doing after I fly back to Texas... assuming my flights don't get cancelled, trapping me in Buffalo forever.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

freeasinbeer posted:

Also Germany will give you a waiver if renouncing “is difficult” or you have to pay a fine.

The new coalition government is saying they’ll wave it all together.

Doesn’t the US have some weird tax law where if you’re employed as an immigrant in a foreign country or even become a naturalized citizen of that country you still owe them taxes on your foreign income? Like basically the IRS thinks you owe them tax no matter where in the world you made your money so you have to pay taxes to your host country and the US at the same time.

Makes me wonder why corporations who are “persons” are exempt from this rule.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Kraftwerk posted:

Doesn’t the US have some weird tax law where if you’re employed as an immigrant in a foreign country or even become a naturalized citizen of that country you still owe them taxes on your foreign income? Like basically the IRS thinks you owe them tax no matter where in the world you made your money so you have to pay taxes to your host country and the US at the same time.

IIRC the rule is if you make <$90k then you don't pay anything. Above that, you're subject to federal income tax, yeah.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

My family got hit with something nasty going into the holidays but no positive tests for covid or flu. So there seems to be some bad non covid things going around too.

Same, a particularly nasty upper respiratory infection that came with fever, runny nose, bad chest congestion/cough, fatigue, the whole deal. Multiple negative COVID tests and both the adults are fully vaxxed/boosted (and flu shots all around, including the kiddo).

Almost felt like a slap in the face to get a non-COVID illness at this point, I forgot they existed.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Biggest current issue is you declare all bank or financial accounts with over 10k; no matter what and a lot of banks are closing down Americans accounts or refusing to open them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

freeasinbeer posted:

Biggest current issue is you declare all bank or financial accounts with over 10k; no matter what and a lot of banks are closing down Americans accounts or refusing to open them.

Yep, banks don't want to deal with FATCA, which is why they don't want American customers.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol it's the exact opposite, dumbass americans are extremely convinced that it's uniquely extra very stupid among the history of nations, and every american (except of course themself) is an idiot who doesn't understand.

America is pretty uniquely stupid about a lot of things that directly affect the lives of hundreds of millions of people actually

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

VanillaGorilla posted:

Almost felt like a slap in the face to get a non-COVID illness at this point, I forgot they existed.

My toddler got the sniffles twice, once when she went back to preschool in August and again right before the Christmas break. It was scary each time, but we Covid test pretty regularly and have never tested positive. Well, not yet at least. The youngest can't be vaccinated for another 2 weeks.

We were working on a TV commercial a few weeks ago, with a big celebrity, and a crew member tested positive after a few hours working on set. You could feel the tension, the star never left her trailer, and we were all sent home after sitting around outside for 2 hours. The next few days were tense, the emails from production assuring us we were never exposed, felt like they were working too hard to cover their asses. Fortunately, we isolated anyway and never presented symptoms. That same day, we learned my son and husband were exposed at a piano recital a few days prior. After 18 months of being Covid clear, I just know our luck is about to run out, if we haven't unknowingly had it already. The major studios are delaying their local productions return from hiatus by at least a week, everything is fluid right now. We are up to 25,000+ new cases per day in LA County.

My kids are supposed to go back to school on Monday, but at this point I might just keep them home while this Covid wave crests. Goddamn, we need some good news. Anyone have something good to share? Barr being served papers was kind of nice, though these ghouls never seem to pay any price for their crimes. Will that Maxwell madam spill the beans? Alex Jones and Candace Owens are turning on Trump, will he start going scorched earth on them tonight?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

The rich always find a way out of paying their share. US international banking regulations for citizens hurt regular people more than rich tax dodgers.

There are MANY legitimate reasons for wanting to give up American citizenship if you have a better option. The fact that, as stated above, many foreign banks won't do business with you, not even a standard personal account at your neighborhood bank, is reason enough.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kraftwerk posted:

The US nominally taxes worldwide income on all US citizens and corporations, with an offsetting credit for income tax paid to another country. If you're a US citizen in France, the income tax you pay to France for work you did in France counts to offset what the US wants. You still have to file US taxes and account for it though. And if you are a US citizen living in the Bahamas (no income tax), that won't help you. Multinational corporations aren't exempt from this, they just have accountants filing worldwide taxes anyway so it is less of a burden

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People really need to get that a US civil war would be more Syria and less Gettysburg. What happens in "blue" California when 1 in 100 State of Jefferson assholes decides to gently caress with the water supply to the central valley, what happens in "red" Texas when Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso all side with the blues and get blockaded?

lol like any of this would happen, I’m the main character in this story you see, I’ll be heralded as the hero

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:toot:

Wishing all of you well in the New Year.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Abner Assington posted:

IIRC the rule is if you make <$90k then you don't pay anything. Above that, you're subject to federal income tax, yeah.

The foreign income threshold is a little over $100k and goes up a tiny bit every year. Income above that also isn’t taxed as additive to the overseas taxes you pay. For example, if you’re making $200k in Denmark you’re not paying 30% US tax on top of Denmark’s 50% (just making these numbers up). You just pay the difference in places with lower rates, like Singapore or Monaco or wherever.

Either way the US tax system is a goddamn loving joke. My tax situation isn’t even complicated and it still takes me longer to file the required tax docs for a place I don’t live and don’t owe taxes than it does in my actual place of residence, where it’s basically “Does this look ok? Click this button.”

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
With all the stocks and crypto this year a lot of people are going to learn about taxes

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Wang Commander posted:

With all the stocks and crypto this year a lot of people are going to learn about taxes

Yeah, I look forward to having to spend anther $30 on the "pro" version of tax software, just so I can declare the $100 in capital gains.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Nonsense posted:

I’m sure this is the reason people are being denied care at overwhelmed hospitals and not anything else.

regeneron is one of the ones that does nothing for delta, so i'm strongly guessing that's why

or i guess i could take fox news and the republican governor of texas at face value lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nonsense posted:

It does appear that the relevant office within HHS paused allocation to some states and then shifted back, but it appears to have happened as new data became available- and even the first announcement states that

quote:

The situation varies in different geographic regions and different health care facilities, and there may be circumstances, such as lower frequency of Omicron in a region and limited supply of alternative treatment options, in which the use of existing site supply of these therapeutics is clinically appropriate. We are working to make available the most updated information to health care providers and provide them with appropriate flexibility to provide the best care for their patients. As additional data become available, we will provide updates and further recommendations and consider if additional actions are warranted.

The reason for the pause was to keep the paused treatments available for the states where they would be effective. It is, of course, unlikely that "the administration" played any role in the decisionmaking involved; the head of the relevant office is a senate appointee, but everyone who would've actually made that decision would be federal employees.

Oh, and for added fun, here's the doctor that is the only quoted source for the article. Everything else is paraphrasing a set of HHS announcements, which to its credit, it links. It appears the guy's furious because his urgent care clinic chain has a contract to distribute the treatments in Maryland (and is the only private entity with such a contract). There's a whole essay to write on how urgent care clinics are a horrible parasitic scam in US healthcare, but that's a separate effortpost.

....I may crosspost this to the media analysis thread, it's a really easy article to beat up and as such it makes a good exercise.

Smeef posted:

The foreign income threshold is a little over $100k and goes up a tiny bit every year. Income above that also isn’t taxed as additive to the overseas taxes you pay. For example, if you’re making $200k in Denmark you’re not paying 30% US tax on top of Denmark’s 50% (just making these numbers up). You just pay the difference in places with lower rates, like Singapore or Monaco or wherever.

Either way the US tax system is a goddamn loving joke. My tax situation isn’t even complicated and it still takes me longer to file the required tax docs for a place I don’t live and don’t owe taxes than it does in my actual place of residence, where it’s basically “Does this look ok? Click this button.”

The tax prep industry has repeatedly killed efforts at the equivalent setup by the IRS, an organization that is horiffically underfunded and sabtaged in ways few other federal entites can compare to. Back in the 60s-80ss, the IRS spent a huge sum of money to create the IDRS, a ccomputerized, centralized taxpayer database on one of the very first mainframe computers (literally a later ENIAC model). It used tape reels, COBOL and machine code.

...and it's still the central tax database, because the IRS has never gotten the money to replace it, and now all of their systems are hobbled by being designed around communicating with it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 1, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tnega posted:

Yeah, I look forward to having to spend anther $30 on the "pro" version of tax software, just so I can declare the $100 in capital gains.

Welcome to the Republican party. :smug:

You can declare capital gains with free software. 1099 forms are required to be included on all free versions of tax filing software.

The only threshold they can use to charge you extra is if you are in the top 30% of incomes for taxpayers.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Smeef posted:

None of the following will be at all shocking to anyone with half a brain cell to rub together that follows a thread like this but it's still a great video that I keep around. I mean it'll raise your blood pressure because GOD loving DAMMIT AMERICA, but, well, that's just the state of things these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlFeAPdmIM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

bird food bathtub posted:

None of the following will be at all shocking to anyone with half a brain cell to rub together that follows a thread like this but it's still a great video that I keep around. I mean it'll raise your blood pressure because GOD loving DAMMIT AMERICA, but, well, that's just the state of things these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlFeAPdmIM8

Yeah, that’s the postcard return I was referring to above. The IRS is also in favor of it.