Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I live in Colorado Springs, and yeah the whole place is a tinder box waiting to go up. We literally have not had any measurable snowfall since last winter. We already had a small brush fire on one of the front range peaks a week ago. Now I'm worried about all the morons who are going to be shooting off fireworks tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Has the whole country been unusually hot and dry this December? I live in an area that's always very dry and hot, but this winter it seems like it's been even hotter and dryer than normal. If this holds true for other areas as well then yeah the fireworks tomorrow could be big trouble

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Parts of the country (Tahoe, parts of the PNW, and Idaho) have had a December that's been at or above average for precipitation, but temperatures have been out of whack (Seattle set a decade record for cold this week), and obviously, one wet month doesn't undo massive droughts or indicate the climate isn't hosed

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

azflyboy posted:

Parts of the country (Tahoe, parts of the PNW, and Idaho) have had a December that's been at or above average for precipitation, but temperatures have been out of whack (Seattle set a decade record for cold this week), and obviously, one wet month doesn't undo massive droughts or indicate the climate isn't hosed

Accumulating snow usually shuts the Seattle metro down until it melts, and this poo poo is lingering(it usually melts within a day or two). We also just had a record heat wave as well.

All of those grass fields/hay fields catching fire in Colorado feels like the kind of thing nobody would expect because at this time of year all that stuff is usually covered in some snow; but that wind is probably the big contributor.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's a La Niña season with the PNW and Great Basin is getting hammered with snow just on the other side of the Rockies, and it's the first significant winter precip we've had in many parts of the west since 2016/2017. Don't be jealous though, we'll be right back to megadroughting and burning to the ground over the next several years once this dries out.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Edit: found.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 31, 2021

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1475945165726654470?s=20

The woman who said Bernie Sanders made her skin crawl is an abuser enabler, not surprised.

Fun follow-up on this: Rocah had the magnificently unmitigated gall to tweet this the day after she refused to charge noted sex pest Andrew Cuomo:

https://twitter.com/Mimirocah1/status/1476355558676611074

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
idk how familiar you are with westchester specifically, but that is almost certainly the most unlikely place in the entire US for a rich dude to get prosecuted

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That truck driver in Colorado who got a 110 year sentence for killing 4 people in a crash because of improperly maintained brakes has had his sentence partially commuted by Governor Polis to become eligible for parole in 2026.

He also pardoned 1,300 people who were convicted of possessing less than 2 ounces of marijuana.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/30/us/colorado-truck-driver-sentence-rogel-aguilera-mederos.html

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk how familiar you are with westchester specifically, but that is almost certainly the most unlikely place in the entire US for a rich dude to get prosecuted

Great, doesn't mean it's not worth calling out.

e:

??

I'm not disagreeing with you lol

Cool, glad to hear it, it sounded to me like you were suggesting that it wasn't worth commenting on.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 31, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
??

I'm not disagreeing with you lol

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-national-divorce-states-b1984460.html

:psyduck:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Must be her first reasonable proposal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fame Douglas posted:

Must be her first reasonable proposal.

You do realise just like last time this is just so they can own slaves.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wish our media wasn't so thoroughly house broken by that it could be honest like this article is.

quote:

Ms Greene, whose home state of Georgia once unsuccessfully tried to secede from the US so wealthy Georgians could continue to own Black people as slaves, made the incendiary suggestion on Wednesday

quote:

“All possible in a National Divorce scenario,” Ms Greene wrote, using a term which has been employed by some on the political right who have advocated for fighting a second American civil war to prevent Democrats from ever holding high office in the US again.

That is what not playing their bullshit rhetoric games looks like instead of debating if both sides really means both sides when outright violent white supremacists are on one side screaming their support.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

How utterly ridiculous. The democrats don't need to lose another Civil War to never hold office again, they're doing a bang up job self destructing on their own by not canceling student debt, ignoring omicron, continuing the auctions of fossil fuel permits, and doing nothing meaningful to fix the pre-covid healthcare crisis they is the US for-profit medical industry.

Consider the motivations behind someone presenting you such an inflammatory piece of media!

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
It's not exactly a niche concept at this point. Everyone who pays any attention is aware that large swathes of the country actively hate each other and think of the other group as being ungovernable at the mildest. It's not even a terrible idea if you don't put much thought into it; a live and let live scenario where we just casually did a Diocletian would serve to make people not have to constantly water down everything they want for a group of people who won't ever vote for it anyway.

I mean, obviously it wouldn't work in practice because red and blue states are a polite fiction, and every single one of them is enclaves upon enclaves of different people with different ideas, and Israel (and India and every other place that has ever done something like this) shows that in practice this sort of division just results in ... uh. Bad.

But Marjorie Taylor Greene is an idiot who is very popular with other idiots, and this is a very good representation of the current feeling of the nation. A rare instance of someone actually doing a representative democracy.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The reason the national divorce scenario is stupid is because whatever fever dream MTG is selling to the rubes, that's not how it would play out. The reality of American political life is that the divide isn't between monolithic "red" vs. "blue" states, it's between elements of the oligarchy vying for dominance by playing off of rural / urban electorates - and the reason that it's playing out the way we're seeing it is because of constitutional anachronisms that give rural populations outsized power.

Like if the U.S. were to balkanize, all that would happen is that you'd see a few regional powers crop up, and power realigning around the urban centers in those regions - probably something like a realignment around Florida in the SE, VA in the mid-atlantic, NY in the Northeast, IL/Chicago in the Great Lakes, Texas in the South/Southwest, and California out in the West. I guess WA in the Pacific Northwest/Mountain states. It's not like Montana is capable of functioning on its own bereft of support from the federal government (having lived there a lot of years, it amazes me that the state functions at all). GA doesn't become some independent political entity there - it probably gets gobbled up by Florida. And all the rural populations in those regional entities become even more dependent on urban economic centers than they are now. All those rich old capitalists would drop the yokels so hard to maintain their standards of living and wealth that it would take your breath away.

None of these jerkoffs paid much attention in history, obviously, but it's not like poor whites in the antebellum South were living in some kind of loving paradise.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 31, 2021

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You do realise just like last time this is just so they can own slaves.
We can rest assured that President Biden of the Remaining States of America would call King Trump and express his concern and might even consider economic sanctions.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does Marjorie realize she lives in a blue state now?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Has the whole country been unusually hot and dry this December? I live in an area that's always very dry and hot, but this winter it seems like it's been even hotter and dryer than normal. If this holds true for other areas as well then yeah the fireworks tomorrow could be big trouble

Texas had one of the hottest christmases on record, right after the big freeze of last winter. I visited family in Dallas, it was 82 when the normal is low 50s. My hometown in Texas hit 90 this week whereas last year the first snow was in October. I live in New Orleans and it's already 75 at 9am. Climate change sucks.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

idiots fantasizing about civil war aren't fantasizing about not coming out on top of a civil war

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bird in a Blender posted:

Do you really think Georgia is a blue state?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

idiots fantasizing about civil war aren't fantasizing about not coming out on top of a civil war

This is a very serious topic. While I personally doubt a civil war in America will take place (worst case scenario it’ll be a “cold” civil war) people have absolutely no idea how much war has changed since the Cold War and what a conflict of this nature would actually look like.

Everyone’s got this image in their minds that they’ll have this glorious revolution or civil war where they’ll have their gun and shoot some weak liberals or blow up some fascists.

That’s not what’s gonna happen. There’s detailed records about everyone and their politics ripe for the taking. They’ll find you, round you up and put you in camps if they don’t outright kill you or drive you out of your home.

All of your modern western comforts will disappear instantly. No more internet, video games, electricity etc. Common conveniences you take for granted will cease to exist and become valuable bartering tools. You’ll be hungry and freezing or sweating. Whatever patchwork of services like healthcare there are will be greatly degraded. There will be obscene shortages of essential goods. America has never fought a war like this. Even the rationing of WW2 was a picnic compared to having the supply and industry of your home soil disrupted by warfare.

I don’t even want to imagine how hosed up a serious war like this could be now that militaries have the power to shoot down satellites, cut undersea communication cables and use AI to lead to lighting fast command and control. All the traditional things you know about war are gonna go out the window. You won’t just be able to take cover at a trench or strong point and shoot at your enemy with a gun. Far more likely some machine somewhere is gonna turn you into a pink mist before you even knew what hit you.

America is less self sufficient than it’s ever been. It’s not like WW2 where they could produce all their raw materials locally. Outside countries will start taking sides.

Anyway all of this is a moot point. There’s never gonna be a war or revolution. The faction that wins this ideological fight is the one who has control over the state security apparatus which can identify anyone or anything that could start an insurrection and pre-arrest all the ring leaders before they can even muster an army. It’s not the 1800s anymore. Even in the Cold War, programs like COINTELPRO destroyed any kind of left wing group that posed even the the remotest threat to the government.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas had one of the hottest christmases on record, right after the big freeze of last winter. I visited family in Dallas, it was 82 when the normal is low 50s. My hometown in Texas hit 90 this week whereas last year the first snow was in October. I live in New Orleans and it's already 75 at 9am. Climate change sucks.

Keep hearing about the 'twenty year drought' some areas of the country are dealing with and my immediate mental response is 'When you measure in decades it's not a drought it's the new normal.' Even more fun is when areas do get rain it's so much rain so fast that it just destroys everything with flooding then runs off and doesn't actually fix the drought.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

camoseven posted:

Do you really think Georgia is a blue state?

It’s more like purple, but since it voted for two Dem senators, and Biden, I still find it funny that she thinks the states should split since she’d end up on the wrong side right now.

Honesty, the state would probably be lean blue if the republicans stopped loving over black voters.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

bird food bathtub posted:

Keep hearing about the 'twenty year drought' some areas of the country are dealing with and my immediate mental response is 'When you measure in decades it's not a drought it's the new normal.' Even more fun is when areas do get rain it's so much rain so fast that it just destroys everything with flooding then runs off and doesn't actually fix the drought.

Listen it's just a "five year fire tornado" that burned all your poo poo down. You probably won't have your house burn down again for another couple of years!

Anyone I talked to in TX was quick to point out that it was a once in a century snow storm and freeze that almost resulted in the complete destabilization of the power grid and a post apocalyptic Texas for weeks to months. I don't believe anyone on this poo poo anymore. It's a once in a lifetime event until it happens every few years. Being within a few minutes of grid failure, and knowing that even without that people froze to death or experienced property damage during multiple days without power, I'm just out of there. I'm going to feel very stupid if the hundred year storm repeats itself in a year or two, with no infrastructure improvements to mitigate it.

Climate change in terms of average temperature change is gradual but the extreme weather seems to emerge very quickly and become the new normal. As soon as we see some novel type of disaster I don't think we can be too shocked if it becomes straight up seasonal to that region within a few years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kraftwerk posted:

This is a very serious topic. While I personally doubt a civil war in America will take place (worst case scenario it’ll be a “cold” civil war) people have absolutely no idea how much war has changed since the Cold War and what a conflict of this nature would actually look like.

Everyone’s got this image in their minds that they’ll have this glorious revolution or civil war where they’ll have their gun and shoot some weak liberals or blow up some fascists.

That’s not what’s gonna happen. There’s detailed records about everyone and their politics ripe for the taking. They’ll find you, round you up and put you in camps if they don’t outright kill you or drive you out of your home.

All of your modern western comforts will disappear instantly. No more internet, video games, electricity etc. Common conveniences you take for granted will cease to exist and become valuable bartering tools. You’ll be hungry and freezing or sweating. Whatever patchwork of services like healthcare there are will be greatly degraded. There will be obscene shortages of essential goods. America has never fought a war like this. Even the rationing of WW2 was a picnic compared to having the supply and industry of your home soil disrupted by warfare.

I don’t even want to imagine how hosed up a serious war like this could be now that militaries have the power to shoot down satellites, cut undersea communication cables and use AI to lead to lighting fast command and control. All the traditional things you know about war are gonna go out the window. You won’t just be able to take cover at a trench or strong point and shoot at your enemy with a gun. Far more likely some machine somewhere is gonna turn you into a pink mist before you even knew what hit you.

America is less self sufficient than it’s ever been. It’s not like WW2 where they could produce all their raw materials locally. Outside countries will start taking sides.

Anyway all of this is a moot point. There’s never gonna be a war or revolution. The faction that wins this ideological fight is the one who has control over the state security apparatus which can identify anyone or anything that could start an insurrection and pre-arrest all the ring leaders before they can even muster an army. It’s not the 1800s anymore. Even in the Cold War, programs like COINTELPRO destroyed any kind of left wing group that posed even the the remotest threat to the government.

People really need to get that a US civil war would be more Syria and less Gettysburg. What happens in "blue" California when 1 in 100 State of Jefferson assholes decides to gently caress with the water supply to the central valley, what happens in "red" Texas when Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and El Paso all side with the blues and get blockaded?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

How utterly ridiculous. The democrats don't need to lose another Civil War to never hold office again, they're doing a bang up job self destructing on their own by not canceling student debt, ignoring omicron, continuing the auctions of fossil fuel permits, and doing nothing meaningful to fix the pre-covid healthcare crisis they is the US for-profit medical industry.

Consider the motivations behind someone presenting you such an inflammatory piece of media!

What exactly is inflammatory about it? Should it be more like CNN?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

they also have done and continue to do nothing about the republicans making antidemocratic laws and installing themselves as the arbiters of who wins elections or which elected office has the power to do stuff. The whole idea of norms and rules was circumvented by a dog playing basketball.

running on a status quo that was both horrifying and no longer exists except the part about wealthy and corporations gaining more power.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lib and let die posted:

I suspect the only one of those that's a serious net vote-loser in the short to medium term is healthcare. They should be canceling a chunk of student debt and slashing fossil fuel permits because it's the right thing to do, not for votes.

Cranappleberry posted:

they also have done and continue to do nothing about the republicans making antidemocratic laws and installing themselves as the arbiters of who wins elections or which elected office has the power to do stuff. The whole idea of norms and rules was circumvented by a dog playing basketball.

running on a status quo that was both horrifying and no longer exists except the part about wealthy and corporations gaining more power.

not passing voter rights etc stuff, on the other hand, is obviously a serious electoral problem

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I suspect the only one of those that's a serious net vote-loser in the short to medium term is healthcare. They should be canceling a chunk of student debt and slashing fossil fuel permits because it's the right thing to do, not for votes.

That they won't even do it for votes is its own kind of damning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lib and let die posted:

That they won't even do it for votes is its own kind of damning.

The only things that Democrats genuinely believe in are all the worst possible things that even the donors know are shams.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Here's something lighter and more humorous, to round out the end of the year.

Americans seeking to renounce their citizenship are stuck with it for now
As many as 30,000 citizens living abroad have been unable to secure a ‘loss of nationality’ interview during the pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/31/americans-seeking-renounce-citizenship-stuck

quote:

In recent years, Michael has come to regard the United States, the nation of which he has been a citizen all his life, as an abusive parent.

“I can acknowledge my past association with that person while at the same time wanting to keep future association to a minimum,” he said.

Michael – the name is false as he requested anonymity to avoid being inundated with hate mail – found his disaffection with his native country reach crunch point in 2020. The chaotic end of the Donald Trump era combined with the inequities exposed by the Covid pandemic made him despair of being an American.

“Coronavirus made me realize that in the US, if you’re not a member of the moneyed elite you’re left to fend for yourself with virtually no help from the federal government,” he said. “The farcical presidential campaign made me realize that I don’t want to be a member of a society in which my vote is made irrelevant by gerrymandering or the electoral college.”

And so Michael decided to renounce his US citizenship. Having moved to Finland 10 years ago, he would break the ties that officially bound him to a country whose values he no longer recognised.

That’s when Michael’s troubles really began. He discovered that along with thousands of other US citizens living abroad, he was caught in a Kafkaesque trap.

For almost two years, since the pandemic struck in March 2020, most US consular missions around the world have suspended their expatriation services for those wishing to give up US citizenship. The US embassy in London, the largest of its sort in western Europe, announces on its website that it is “currently unable to accept appointments for loss of nationality applications” and is unable to say when services will resume.

The US state department says giving up citizenship requires a face-to-face interview with a government official, and that it is too risky given coronavirus.

Delays have led to a growing mountain of disgruntled citizens. By some calculations, there may be as many as 30,000 people among the 9 million US citizens living abroad who would like to begin the renunciation process but can’t.

Joshua Grant is one of them. He was born and raised in Selma, Alabama, until he moved to Germany when he was 21 to learn the language.

He has been there ever since. He lives in Lower Saxony and married a German citizen last year. Grant, 30, feels ready to acquire German citizenship, but under German law he must let go of his US passport. Easier said than done.

He submitted a pile of paperwork to the US embassy in July 2020. Nothing has happened. He has written emails to the embassy staff, with no reply.

He contacted the office of US senator from Alabama Richard Shelby. They passed him on to the state department, which in turn passed him back to the bureau of consular affairs, which mentioned the pandemic.

“It’s very taxing. My whole life in Germany is on hold,” he said. “It’s funny: people in Germany tend to see the US as a liberal country where the rule of law was established, but I can’t even find anyone in the US government to talk to.”

Nine US citizens abroad who have found themselves unable to give up their nationality are now suing the state department in a federal court in Washington. The suit, brought on the plaintiffs’ behalf by the French-based group Association of Accidental Americans, likens the situation to feudal times.

“The US appears intent on preventing its citizens from exercising their natural and fundamental right to voluntarily renounce their citizenship,” it says.

Some people want to give up US citizenship because the government has been making the burden of being an American more onerous for those abroad. In 2010 the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) was passed, requiring foreign banks and other financial institutions to report on any clients they suspect of being American to the IRS.

The US is also one of only two countries (the other is Eritrea) that tax people on their citizenship rather than where they live. That forces Americans abroad to declare their global income to the IRS, with possible tax implications.

The impact of these burdens is reflected in the number of people who renounce each year. Between 2000 and 2010 it remained relatively steady at less than 1,000 people, but after FATCA came in, the numbers rose sharply to a peak last year of almost 7,000.

Some of the would-be renouncers are “accidental Americans”, having acquired citizenship because they were born in the US though they have lived elsewhere all their lives.

That label could be applied to the UK prime minister Boris Johnson, who was born in New York but has not lived in the US since he was five. Johnson renounced his citizenship in 2017, having said he was outraged a few years earlier by having to pay the US tax authorities for gains on the sale of his London home.

Marie Sock, the first woman to stand as a presidential candidate in the Gambia, was forced to pull out of the race recently after she failed to get any response to her request to renounce her US nationality from the US embassy.

She explained in a video posted on Facebook that under Gambia election law, presidential candidates must be sole Gambian nationals.

James – also not his real name – was born in Texas but has not lived in the US since he was four. He now lives in Singapore.

He became disillusioned when he learned that because his son was born outside the US he would not be eligible for US citizenship, and yet because of James’s citizenship he would treated as if he were a US taxpayer. That struck him as a modern form of taxation without representation.

“The double standards really annoy me,” he said.

For the past year he has been trying to get through to an official who will help him renounce his citizenship, without success.

“I never asked for US citizenship, and now I’m not even allowed to give it up.”

I empathize a bit with the last guy, but to the rest of 'em :laffo:

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

Here's something lighter and more humorous, to round out the end of the year.

Americans seeking to renounce their citizenship are stuck with it for now
As many as 30,000 citizens living abroad have been unable to secure a ‘loss of nationality’ interview during the pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/dec/31/americans-seeking-renounce-citizenship-stuck

I empathize a bit with the last guy, but to the rest of 'em :laffo:

Its really funny when people have negative life outcomes because of a pandemic, simply freaking hilarious

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/AthulKAcharya/status/1475949751954599938?s=20

How many policies and terrible actions from the Trump admin is Biden going to actively defend? This has incredibly dangerous implications and continues to erode what the first amendment was for.

I’m completely confuse why Biden would bother with this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Terminal autist posted:

Its really funny when people have negative life outcomes because of a pandemic, simply freaking hilarious

I think the foibles of a "gently caress Amerikkka!" guy being unable to gently caress America is worth a chuckle :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just a note that 2021 has sucked terribly and 2022 will still suck - my prediction is that in January we're going to see serious spikes in Covid-19 deaths as hospitals once again are over-capacity. Local major hospital in my area that handles nearly a million in population is at 110% capacity for regular beds and has been at above 95% for ICU beds the last few months, and another hospital is experiencing lines-out-the-door for the ER.

Company I work for is severely under-staffed, and we've been getting more and more people getting taken out due to Covid positive testing, not to mention people just straight up leaving or quitting. Our Secretary of State (IL) just announced that they're shutting down for two weeks in January due to Covid as well. The CDC guidelines for quarantine are going to make things worse. I am so tired. Tired of people not following masking rules, not getting vaccinated, getting yelled at, being under so much pressure. I keep telling myself "Oh, I'll just look for a new job" but then I realize it's still going to face the same issues of everywhere else.

Felt like the service industry has been hung out to dry to serve the corporate overlords and the customers with zero thought to the workers themselves. Because we've been short-staffed, I've worked so many hours to cover for others, and I'm coming home later and later, missing my kid. I see him maybe a half hour in the morning and if it's a good day and I get home in time, 2 hours after work. On a bad day, I only see him on the baby monitor or from any texts from my wife that she sends.

This loving country, built on pure evil and designed to squeeze every bit of blood out of a rock for an extra bit of pennies.

If Biden doesn't turn poo poo around (and I bet he won't), the Republicans come back and this time it's for good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

https://twitter.com/AthulKAcharya/status/1475949751954599938?s=20

How many policies and terrible actions from the Trump admin is Biden going to actively defend? This has incredibly dangerous implications and continues to erode what the first amendment was for.

I’m completely confuse why Biden would bother with this.

Twitter guy is misrepresenting the post. This is not related to anything Trump did with the protestors in front of the White House.

This is about expanding the Bivins decision - which is about whether individuals have the right to sue individuals working for the government for material loses incurred during the line of duty when no federal law exists enabling them to for that activity - to non-material damages for foreign nationals.

The specifics of the case are about whether a foreign national who was arrested during a drug smuggling operation can sue an individual working for the federal government for excessive force when he didn't receive any medical injuries or loss of income related to the force by arguing that the excessive force silenced his free speech rights because he had crossed the border into the U.S. while smuggling the drugs and was arrested there.

The Solicitor General's argument (and the court that agreed with them) was:

- Bivens only covers material damages. Extending it to allow individual federal employees to be sued while doing their job for damages that can't be calculated was never part of the Bivens decision and has never been used that way before. In Bivens, the court explicitly said it only applied to 4th amendment issues.

- That allowing this would give the courts power to run executive branch agencies and present separation of powers issues by allowing a judge to set specific federal policy without congress passing a law or the executive implementing it.

- The first amendment, fourth amendment, and various other laws already outline limitations on the federal government and congress can add new ones if they want. Allowing the court to write new laws when one does not exist would create inconsistency in how people are treated and violate Article 3 and Article 1 of the Constitution.

The main point of the case is whether the courts can write new regulations and expand laws over individual federal employee behavior when those laws don't currently exist under the Bivens decision into areas other than the 4th amendment.

It's essentially a separation of powers issue to resolve the question of: Are Congress and the Executive the more appropriate bodies to determine individual regulations for federal employees or are the courts?

Abner Assington posted:

2021 throwing one last bit of spite at humanity by taking Betty White from us. RIP.

drat, she was just about to turn 100 in 2 weeks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
2021 throwing one last bit of spite at humanity by taking Betty White from us. RIP.