Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

Dig up, stupid

He can keep digging his hole. It's more entertaining that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Reminder that the BBC covered up Jimmy Savile's pederasty.

Curious.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

The fact that they let Dershowitz on to attack an accuser in a sex trafficking case. Its amazing he hasn't lost his tenure yet.

I remember a particularly dickish tenured professor saying, rather smugly, to a class I was in, verbatim, "you could walk into this classroom, witness me killing a man, and while I'd likely go to jail, I still wouldn't lose my tenure."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember a particularly dickish tenured professor saying, rather smugly, to a class I was in, verbatim, "you could walk into this classroom, witness me killing a man, and while I'd likely go to jail, I still wouldn't lose my tenure."

That's such a dumb flex I never understand it when academics do it. I'm up for tenure this year but its like... whatever. I wont get fired but if I dont keep doing research and doing my job there as well as teaching well Im going to get pushed into administrative hell at work.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU17OOQGmPc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That Works posted:

That's such a dumb flex I never understand it when academics do it. I'm up for tenure this year but its like... whatever. I wont get fired but if I dont keep doing research and doing my job there as well as teaching well Im going to get pushed into administrative hell at work.

"It is not a mountain that I stand upon, but this little hill is MINE." :colbert:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I had a lit professor who abused tenure to wear jorts and knee-high white socks with sandals and I can never forgive him

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Eason the Fifth posted:

I had a lit professor who abused tenure to wear jorts and knee-high white socks with sandals and I can never forgive him

Did he wear crocs too or something? Just sounds like he's showing off his inner central european.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A sudden wildfire, fueled by freakishly high winds and dry conditions, may have taken out 500+ homes in Colorado today.

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1476709567820042257

Crusty Minge, dunno if this is anywhere near you, but are you OK?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1476421032231813121

There's always room for some Skinner memes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

A sudden wildfire, fueled by freakishly high winds and dry conditions, may have taken out 500+ homes in Colorado today.

Hoping it's not his gardening.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm fine. I think Louisville is up north by Boulder. I'm like, 20 minutes from New Mexico.

My power did just go out 10 minutes ago. Still out. Spectrum sent me an alert saying internet will be up in 2 hours, but that's dependent on power coming back on.

E: I was out driving around all drat day. Weed concentrate laws change on the 1st so I went out to stock up. Absolutely windy as gently caress out on the front range today. Didn't see any tipping trucks though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The fire is wild. There were three fires burning near Boulder today, one north two south.
I was driving home from work, 40 miles east of the fires and the horizon was obscured by the smoke.

The area affected is kind of south-east/south of Boulder. Downed power line caused the fire and they were getting winds around 115 mph in the area.
Last I checked there were 600 house destroyed, and 30,000 people were being evacuated.
The damage done so far is wild, the potential damage is unfathomable.

Edit:
Stolen from the Denver thread.
https://twitter.com/hylandwx/status/1476715233796403205?s=20

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 31, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This wind has a few more days to push through, too. Snow expected on the mountains down here the next 2 days. I think we've had an inch cumulatively this season here, mountains keep absorbing it all.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This wind has a few more days to push through, too. Snow expected on the mountains down here the next 2 days. I think we've had an inch cumulatively this season here, mountains keep absorbing it all.

Thankfully we are supposed to get a few inches tomorrow. We haven't had any significant moisture since August I think. Like maybe a half inch of rain early in December...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've been pretty down about the lack of snow this season. If it's going to be cold, at least snow. Doesn't have to accumulate, I'm happy with flurries.

Thankfully the mountains are collecting it up, the water plate needs it. Apparently the front range has been after the SLV's water for a while now.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
Because you all posted this, I was able to link up with a friend in the Boulder County School District admin over the last couple hours — gave them NASA’s fire map:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/

And a wind speed aggregator:

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/39.9545/-105.2078

… and their operations department is now using both, laid against their data, to plan response and get set to help their kids.

Thanks goons.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Power just came back on after 3.5 hours off.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/12/30/xcel-outages-mountain-counties-marshall-fire/

Turns out it was on purpose. Which is fine, but don't email me some poo poo about "investigating problem" when the email should say "to conserve natural gas, we're cutting your power."

And it's happening to Xcel customers throughout the state. If you have Xcel in Colorado, charge all of your batteries now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

On the lighter side of things

https://twitter.com/spaghetti/status/1476755226526982145

I am dying over here

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Anyone in the south enjoying 80+ degree days? I don't live here, but holy poo poo it hit 81 in Mobile, AL today. In late December. There were children and Karen's bitching that the hotel pool was closed for the winter.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mobile is far enough south that closing a pool in the winter kinda seems more like a management penny pinching thing, but the gulf is right there and not nearly as full of covid. Covid is no excuse to most southerners though. Also there was a pool chlorine shortage this past summer that I kinda doubt ever caught back up.

Salt water pools are the way to go anyhow.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I'm strangely only remembering 1-2 of those, but I've never seen the 9/11 entrepreneur tweet and immediately started honking as I was reading it.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I disliked them for how finicky the chemistry got with them, but if you got it right it was pretty sweet.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mobile is far enough south that closing a pool in the winter kinda seems more like a management penny pinching thing, but the gulf is right there and not nearly as full of covid. Covid is no excuse to most southerners though. Also there was a pool chlorine shortage this past summer that I kinda doubt ever caught back up.

Agree, almost nobody is wearing a mask anywhere down here. I look like a nutter for walking through the lobby with a kn95 on. But I'm also the rear end in a top hat for still traveling and hitting visits with both families over the last week.

All you can do is what you can do, in terms of keeping familial obligations without disowning them. I'm very ready to get back home to my bunker and waiting a week to cool off before I decide which relationships are worth keeping.

gently caress the holidays. I am not participating next year.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, they're a little on the annoying side chemically, and usually still need a little chlorine anyhow, but man, baby rear end soft skin for hours after.

On the Denver/Boulder area fires, if you want to see local coverage, PlutoTV has a "local" section with a list of CBS regions, Denver is on there and the 10pm news is on, likely going into extended coverage.

E: I blew off the holidays and feel fine about it. Just hanging with Frank and Beans.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 31, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I won't be at all surprised if this ends up having burned down 1000+ houses and a ton of businesses and stuff as well. It's still going but the winds have thankfully calmed down a ton so it won't be getting driven like it was earlier today. I left my place around 12:30 this afternoon in Longmont and the smoke plume was huge.

https://twitter.com/GRDenver/status/1476757009122873351?s=20

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

E: I blew off the holidays and feel fine about it. Just hanging with Frank and Beans.

I will feel fine about doing exactly that next year. I'm done traveling for family. I'm done owing them poo poo. They can come see me at my place, if they care, from here on out.

Right now I'm missing my dog bodi something hard. I am surrounded by loved and loving but complicated humans and I miss my dog. I pick him up from the doggie Hilton back home Sunday.

Sorry for making GBS threads up the CE thread, but I bet a few other lurkers are in similar boats.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This is loving crazy. My last year of college I lived in Lafayette and took the bus down S. Boulder road every day, a bunch of houses I used to pass every day have burned down. The fire is threatening my old neighborhood

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Again. CBS4 Denver is on PlutoTV under the "local" tab. Pluto is free. They are running extended coverage. poo poo is crazy.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

shame on an IGA posted:

there were plenty of reasons he was forums famous before he disappeared and none of them were good

This has been the best "im glad i bought archives forever ago" moment ive had in a long time.
Just loving what WHAT Grover of all glorious SA goons issued him a mod challenge?
I knew of the crazy Syria stuff but not all this.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
When I learned that Mike Burry was shorting Tesla stock earlier this year, I was waiting the entire time to find out what he knew that everyone else didn't.

When I just saw this headline of Tesla recalling what is pretty much a full year's production in vehicles for safety issues, I immediately thought "WHAT DID YOU DO, MIKE?"

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-recalls-over-475000-electric-vehicles-2021-12-30/

Then I found out he had closed his short position in November already, and the whole thing became less amusing in my head.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I assume the gun is for keeping the fire away.

May be a joke, but I ain't giving this the benefit of the doubt.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I assume the gun is for keeping the fire away.

May be a joke, but I ain't giving this the benefit of the doubt.

He’s going to commit suicide and make a stew of himself for eventual clean up crew I think.

Imagine being so stupid you are going to stay behind in the path of a fire to defend your home from looters I guess?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Crab Dad posted:

He’s going to commit suicide and make a stew of himself for eventual clean up crew I think.

Imagine being so stupid you are going to stay behind in the path of a fire to defend your home from looters I guess?

99 times out of 100, survivalists aren't interested in surviving as much as they are interested in shooting people and getting away with it. Hell, even that "american sniper" guy wrote a fanfic about going down to New Orleans after Katrina and shooting people he thought "were up to no good."

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

99 times out of 100, survivalists aren't interested in surviving as much as they are interested in shooting people and getting away with it. Hell, even that "american sniper" guy wrote a fanfic about going down to New Orleans after Katrina and shooting people he thought "were up to no good."

He also wrote about how he shot two robbers at a gas station that there was no police report of or that anyone could find any proof that ever happened.

Kyle and Luttrell, with a side of O’Neill are the biggest contributing factor to why the seals are a joke.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

That's also why covid broke (moreso) the brains of so many survivalists.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiny posted:

Anyone in the south enjoying 80+ degree days? I don't live here, but holy poo poo it hit 81 in Mobile, AL today. In late December. There were children and Karen's bitching that the hotel pool was closed for the winter.

The shithead contingent is cheering it on because they "hate the cold' anyway.

Sentinel posted:

This has been the best "im glad i bought archives forever ago" moment ive had in a long time.
Just loving what WHAT Grover of all glorious SA goons issued him a mod challenge?
I knew of the crazy Syria stuff but not all this.

Oh man if they do a report on grover.
*in extremely npr voice*
One man. One vision. One house. Well, if you could call it that

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OP and other commenters are posting about mag dumping into the fire to slow it down so thankfully at least this guy is definitely making fun of “survivalists.”

This did absolutely happen in New Orleans. During the disaster almost every single homicide was police or white militias on unarmed (black) civilians.

https://www.propublica.org/article/post-katrina-white-vigilantes-shot-african-americans-with-impunity