Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I had read that there was a police officer in the school / assigned to the school.

Did they help apprehend the shooter? Just curious if it was like the Parkland, FL school shooting or not where the officer declined to participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't a halfway decent locking gun case like a couple hundred?

Those little ones you use for securing them while you travel.

Stack On cabinets are lockable and quite cheap ($60-250 depending on size) and require at least a prybar, drill or grinder to get into. They are "easy" to break into but you'd have to put in actual effort for a few moments. Hell even a trigger lock (usually supplied with the gun) is not much better than security theater but at least makes it such that someone has to physically break things to get use of the firearm.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Sometimes security theatre is convenient if only to show that there was criminal intent to take the gun without permission.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raerlynn posted:

I became a gun owner this year. My wife's one requirement was that I purchase a locking cabinet to keep them in. I bought it from Home Depot for $150. I spend more on a range membership then I did on this thing. It bolts to the door, and it's enough to keep casual criminals at bay.

Those gun owners are right up there with anti vaxxers in terms of entitlement. The "I want to do what I want when I want and gently caress anyone else" mindset.

It's loving irresponsible and anyone with that take can eat my entire pasty white rear end.

It's more nuanced than that.

In principle I agree that safe storage should be mandatory if you own a gun and everything I own is under lock and key in a location well hidden from the eyes of guests. Where legislating that comes into play / assigning mandatory costs to gun ownership presents a real issue.

That issue being "can we use gun control laws to exclude poorer people from ownership by raising the barrier to entry even further?"

Case in point when I was a quite poor graduate student I wanted to buy a cheap-rear end .22 rifle but lived in a city with really strict gun control laws. The rifle I wanted could have easily been bought at the time for $200.
So, I look into buying it and there is a state-mandated firearms course for basic ownership. That's $100 and can only be done M-F 9 to 5. So, I have to spend $100 and take off work. Also, you have to travel about 15 miles outside of the city to the nearest place doing the classes and its not on any transit line, so throw in another $30 for an Uber / cab there and back plus the lost afternoon of work.

Ok so then I have to take that certificate and then put in a permit application. The city states that the applications take 10-14 days to process. The internet states that the average process time is 4-6 months. So, 6 months later it gets processed and THEN I can make an appointment with the city police to get an interview and background check. This is another $100 fee and must be attended in person, again M-F 9-5 only, so another half day of work off minimum and the nearest appointment is 3 months away.

So now before even being approved to buy a gun (the criteria for approval is up to the police officers discretion) I had waited 9 months, spent $230 and had to take at least 1 day off of work. Now this was only just for a rifle. If I wanted a pistol it's a mandatory shooting test at the police range (booking appointments 6 months in advance) for a $250 fee. So for a pistol I'm looking at almost $500 and a 1 to 1.5 year wait.

So, then lets say the local legislature wants to mandate safe storage and decides that you need at minimum a storage device that costs another $100.

Basically, it adds up quick. If the state wants to mandate training and storage but does not make them available to its poorest members, then it is inherently regressive and disenfranchises poorer owners (which I would argue is the intent anyway).

All that said, many gun owners are just loving dicks about it and irresponsible and should be launched into the sun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Poor people can't afford guns and ammo in the first place; the idea of a universal accessible right to firearms has never been true.

Well if they can afford one you can just add on another arbitrary fee / cost to ensure that they cannot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Raerlynn posted:

I'm not disputing the point that it adds to the cost. I'm saying, "that's the cost of reducing gun violence in America". At some point we as a society have to draw a line and say "this is the minimum we expect you to adhere to if you want to own a weapon, cost be damned". A cheap pistol safe at Harbor Freight is literally the same price as a box of ammo.

We don't have the same hand wringing about how states require carrying an insurance policy and registering a vehicle on an annual basis disproportionately impacts the poor, because we decided as a society that this was a requirement for the good of everyone.

I went through the whole story as an example of incrementalism because its almost never a "here's a minimum no nonsense single policy" when it comes to firearm laws and as soon as one requirement is made / given then you're likely to keep getting more until it does become unaffordable (feature not bug imo).

I do agree that a minimum standard of safety should be adhered to. How that is legislated / mandated / enforced is where it can get complicated. As for any of that reducing gun violence in America... much better places to discuss that than the CE thread so I'll only just state that treating root causes of crime, ie poverty / inequality would do far more than any gun specific prohibitions or regulations imo.

Not tryin to be dismissive, just that gun derails can go on forever and I know the mods are probably not wanting us to chew on it for an entire day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1466519677731934208?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arven posted:

I've been getting phonebanked by planned parenthood and democrats for the last week to try to fundraise off of whats going on right now. I'm just completely baffled why they think I'd give them money when they have explicitly failed and lost the battle. They proved they didn't have the will or means to actually fight for it when it mattered. I felt bad saying that to the volunteers they have calling me because so far they always just apologize and hang up, but goddamn.

Heard this before...

https://twitter.com/detachment_red/status/1466393912784920578?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is just loving asinine. How do you think Mussolini's original fascists got into power? They got elected. What did the Nazis do? They got elected while the communists and social democrats tore each other to pieces. Voting is often the only defense against fascism, because after they win they pull up the ladder and make it impossible to dislodge them.

So I'm reading this as voting is a way to put fascists into power which so far has checked out over the course of my lifetime.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Dems want my vote to protect Roe? Where the gently caress have they been for the last 50 years on protecting Roe? Activists have been screaming about exactly this happening longer than I've been alive. Now I'm supposed to believe they'll do anything? Pick any god drat time you want when they had however many seats you think is the magic amount and let their actions prove what they're worth.

Roe, immigration, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/Jazzmodeus2/status/1466107718964547592?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/jhermann/status/1466799550908321803?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

holding the rest of the party to account for the actions of the minority is, in my view, devastatingly counterproductive.

So what about with the "actions of the minority" become / are the "actions of the entire party"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Does Donald Trump really think he could win after losing the incumbency?

Better question- Could he?

Depends on how many states who went for Biden last time are going to be able to successfully pass laws and or policies that might help minimize voter turnout or target voters in particular ways etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/1466518291862622212?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

The upcoming disasters in 2022 and 2024 will be unavoidable because the establishment Dems refuse to even try protect voter rights and whether or not it shakes them out of complacency is irrelevant because the GOP has secured one party rule for the foreseeable future through voter suppression, gerrymandering, and control of the judiciary.
It's over and it's a shame nobody will at least smack Manchin and his enablers in the face with a shovel.

Barring some senatorial hail Mary to put in the voting rights bill (I'm not optimistic) I feel the same as you on this.

The games largely done and we're trying to figure out who the starting QB should be next year but the teams already been sold and set to be dissolved at the end of the season.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Best Friends posted:

I think a big "end of the American empire" sign post was the Flint water crisis. Pretty much the entire elite were like "yeah we don't promise to even deliver drinking water anymore. That's no longer part of the deal. If you still got some from when that was part of the deal, lucky you."

As for American democracy, they stole an election already in 2000 and the dems were just like, shucks, ah well, better luck for us next time. Everything on the democracy level is downstream of that. The foot soldiers of that stolen election are now in the Senate and supreme court and they're all eager for the next, more blatant go.

Flint is a pretty good point. I was directly affected by Katrina so for me it kind of feels like that because for a few months there I recall a lot of fairly open discussion in the media, especially the right wing kind talking about maybe we shouldn't bother to do anything about this, regarding helping or rebuilding New Orleans.

Definitely made me think that the government really wasn't serving or looking out for the people's interests. Being a little older now of course that's entirely obvious but that was the point where I first really realized that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm solidly downwind of Groton, CT / New London etc so I figure in any real deal nuke scenario I get slammed hard with fallout on the same day. Kinda sucks, if I was closer it's not an issue, further, I might survive it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I would not want to be around for the canned sunshine after-party.

:smith: ah yep

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rural New England aint bad imo. Not long to get to big cities, good rail from there to go from DC to Boston and anywhere inbetween. You can be in some pretty deep woods within 30m - 1h of driving depending on where you are. Lots of flexibility and the chud numbers while higher in the woods are still nothing like FL, OK, TX, LA (everywhere else I've lived).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm kinda curious if there's going to be a 1/6 anniversary gathering in DC. The feds could probably set up a hell of a honeypot if there's anything being planned.

More or less everyone will be back out on the streets by the 2 year reunion so my money's on that one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzt18-WhkvQ

Lot of UFO calls tonight I presume.

Starlink satellite release. I didn't see it but my local social media stuff just blew up with people asking wtf was that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s like Jimmy Carter 2.0, if he was also a sex pest.

What’s the stated purpose of boycotting it anyway? The kind of poo poo the US and aligned proxies pulled on the third world when it came to giving them access to vaccines this year alone pales in comparison to anything China does internationally and the state department decided what China was doing to its minority population wasn’t actually legally genocide since probably that would bring up a whole lot of uncomfortable issues in our history and reservations that are still ongoing and the fact our corporations are still buying Chinese labor from those camps.

Like it’s so nakedly a tantrum and attempt to start a phony Cold War. Ideology actually at least kinda seemed to matter last time around and it was still dumb as hell but this time around China and the US don’t even pretend to be different. loving embarrassing.

Maybe this is the electoral strategy christ lol because being a fake “wartime president” worked so well for trump I guess

We don't have a good reason to justify increasing our defense budget after getting out of Afghanistan. Sooner or later people will probably start grumbling about that, gotta have the next boogeyman in place.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Best Friends posted:

Not really! I got called a "tankie" here for saying China did not want to literally genocide Taiwan. Any push back on anti China narratives at all is out of bounds to the Reasonable Moderate.

Did China ban the cross you are trying to put yourself on or?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/KToropin/status/1465450133341065221?s=20

Not bad!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hah wild I never heard about the bear story before. The others are familiar at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Seems like it’s going to be a rough winter even if Omicron is potentially less deadly.

It was going to be so either way. If Omicron can outcompete Delta though and has less mortality / send less people to the hospitals then that's good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

It appears the first Omicron preprint is out:

https://twitter.com/sigallab/status/1468325162860826634

https://twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1468319835012673549

https://twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1468323193299603458

This more or less is the first to confirm the "immune evasion" aspect of Omicron - the best protection against Omicron is a combination of vaccination and prior actual vaccination. Wild cards remaining: what about T-cell / other immune protection provided by vaccines, what about Moderna/J&J and is this preprint just two Pfizer doses (I'm not fuckin reading it), is this thing more contagious than Delta (or will it flame out like Beta), and do we need a special booster for it. All still unknown!

First takes I've seen on it from other pretty active covid scientists have stated that the loss in vaccine prevention is substantial, but a 3rd dose puts you in the range to help combat that pretty well. Ultimately a more tailored vaccine for the new spike antigen profile will be better, but a booster should at least help, but not be as good as protection vs the alpha variant / other close relatives of alpha.

So, still no tremendous "sky is falling" worry on it at least and it's not a completely novel escape variant (ie the current vaccine would offer almost no protection, the worst case).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1468364409093246978?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Apparently Boebert did a family gun photo like that moron in Ohio or Kentucky or whatever dead rear end state, so get ready to hear about that all day.

The other one was fun because the dipshit was one of the ones crying about Kamala buying an expensive cooking pot.

In the photo he was holding an NFA machine gun estimated over $10k not including all the other guns in the photo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah my bad I know they are in the tens of thousands and that's all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The future is female

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wang Commander posted:

Capitol rioters never should've made it to trial lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

More like 19 years and counting.

:hmmyes:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I wonder how much of this is playing out all around the country. I expect lots and for it to increase in tempo before the midterms and the next presidential.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/georgia-republicans-purge-black-democrats-county-election-boards-rcna8207

quote:

Protesters filled the meeting room of the Spalding County Board of Elections in October, upset that the board had disallowed early voting on Sundays for the Nov. 2 municipal election. A year ago, Sunday voting had been instrumental in boosting turnout of Black voters.

But this was an entirely different five-member board than had overseen the last election. The Democratic majority of three Black women was gone. So was the Black elections supervisor.

Now a faction of three white Republicans controlled the board — thanks to a bill passed by the Republican-led Georgia legislature earlier this year. The Spalding board’s new chairman has endorsed former president Donald Trump’s false stolen-election claims on social media.

The panel in Spalding, a rural patch south of Atlanta, is one of six county boards that Republicans have quietly reorganized in recent months through similar county-specific state legislation. The changes expanded the party’s power over choosing members of local election boards ahead of the crucial midterm Congressional elections in November 2022.

The unusual rash of restructurings follows the state’s passage of Senate Bill 202, which restricted ballot access statewide and allowed the Republican-controlled State Election Board to assume control of county boards it deems underperforming. The board immediately launched a performance review of the Democratic-leaning Fulton County board, which oversees part of Atlanta.

The Georgia restructurings are part of a national Republican effort to expand control over election administration in the wake of Trump’s false voter-fraud claims. Republican-led states such as Florida, Texas and Arizona have enacted new curbs on voter access this year. Backers of Trump’s false stolen-election claims are running campaigns for secretary of state — the top election official — in battleground states. And some Republicans in Wisconsin are seeking to eliminate the state’s bipartisan election commission and threatening its members with prosecution.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've been dreading the day we realize that the continued existence of Japan is one giant loose end

I feel like North Korea will get tied up first before we get around to that one.

Current boogeyman of the times is China, same as it was on 9/10/01. Gotta have a reason to pass big money to your future employers in the MIC and send a little back to some districts here and there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Jews are responsible for biscuits and gravy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What's that? You didn't like Squid Game because it was unrealistic social commentary?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a gently caress about a Matrix sequel? 20 years too late after a fairly mediocre trilogy, for a movie that the previews make look terrible.

Same. Much as I enjoyed at least the 1st film, and Keanu, and years later learning that it was all a trans-allegory and enjoying the 1st film all over again. I just can't seem to care about this one. I'll probably ignore all the hype / criticism on it because everyone makes everything new "a thing" and check it out somewhere down the line tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Have we discussed the fact that some of :smugdon:'s most loyal terriers were being ignored by Mark Meadows on January 6th yet?

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1470566880775528448

The fact that Kilmeade, Ingraham, and Hannity even said "Whoa, that's too much", yet continue to peddle their tinfoil hat bullshit makes me hate FOX even more.

Lmao they were on TV that very night telling everyone it was Antifa and BLM agitators causing issues.