Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

So yeah, it's December.

Current events include a shooting in Michigan and a TV doctor running for the Senate in a state he doesn't live in.

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Handsome Ralph posted:

This guy's thread has been a pretty solid source, but also, get a load of this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1466076071514812418

Holy poo poo, I absolutely cannot wait to move back to Canada now.

I would like to say that this was surprising.

I also didn't think that the court would just "skip to the end" on this.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Well...

So much for the party of law and order?

Also, not surprised at this at all. They didn't want to take basic responsibility regarding their child's mental health or the care and storage of their weapons, why would they face a trial?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Fair and balanced?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I’m wondering, I know odds are overwhelmingly that it was a tech or hardware issue.

Any chance it was done intentional by a third party? Perhaps even a test for something larger (granted you don’t disclose an exploit in a test first).

Bad actor is unlikely.

Usually, when things like this happen (cloudflare outage, AWS outage, etc) it just provides a view on how little most places are willing to spend on infrastructure. These outages were from a single accessibility zone going down, AWS was designed to withstand that as long as you paid to use multiple accessibility zones.

From what I saw/read, the consensus is that someone pushed an update that broke the management console access and some APIs.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

I really wonder how long amazon can keep the "you can't sue us for aws outages because we explicitly refuse to guarantee any uptime" poo poo up

I think it will happen forever. AWS tells you to use multiple zones to avoid the issues that have occured. Also, even without any guarantees, they have better uptime than most.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thank you for this.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Thwomp posted:

I won’t argue it isn’t culture war poo poo but these cultists are looking for treatments (just not the vaccine) and have been turning to horse dewormer.

I mean, it’s hard to be logical about people whose actions are driven emotionally or by illogical foundations but still. I guess it’ll depend on if the Pfizer treatment pill is politicized or not.

We all know that what determines if the Pfizer treatment will be "accepted" is based on what Fox and OAN tells them

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

FrozenVent posted:

Wonder how much you’d need to advertise on Fox News to be the “good one” of vaccines.

This is actually a good question.

I'm sure a marketing company knows how much ad space is needed and the associated costs, but I wonder how much it would cost to inject the ads into the actual broadcasts. I know local stations (and every morning show by the looks of it) are notorious for doing this.

Even if the cost was a billion dollars, wouldn't that be a net positive?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Honestly, I’d be lying to you if I said I knew the difference offhand. I just always remember the polls being damaged or flipping usually being a plot point/trope only in post apocalyptic fiction or sci-if thrillers.

The infamous "magnetic pole shift" is the prepper wet dream. They believe that when the magnetic poles "flip" (north will be south, south will be magnetic north) that great catastrophe will occur. They also belief that stockpiling food, water, medicine, and guns/ammo will save them from this "extinction level event."

A polar shift can make things annoying. It will likely have an effect on weather and the ozone layer. It won't be the final nail in out coffin though. Here is a good article explaining what is happening now, what has happened in the past, and what will likely happen in the future:

https://www.livescience.com/18426-earth-magnetic-poles-flip.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Looks like the military vaccine numbers are fully in.

The Marines just announced that they have kicked out 103 people for refusing the vaccine.

Also, the Army just relieved 2 battalion commanders over vaccine rejection.

Looks like less than 4000 people have refused the vaccine.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/16/marines-army-kicked-out-covid-vaccine-525101