Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

There is very, very little hard data on Omicron yet, which isn't really surprising given how new it is. I've been keeping a close eye out to get even a preliminary idea of what we might be up against this time, and so far, nuffink.
There was an OP by one of the saffa doctors that detected it, but it was mostly railing against the travel bans and anecdotes about how the patients all seemed to be pretty mild cases.
If anyone's seen anything I haven't, please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Rectum?

drat near killed ’em.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Kind of reminds me of the Face on Mars, specifically, the episode of the X-Files where a ghost-like extraterrestrial with that "face" possessed an astronaut and made him sabotage a space shuttle mission. NOTHING scared me more than that episode the first time I saw it, but just :lol: at this screengrab from it:

Also remember how last year we were all convinced that Hope Hicks gave Trump COVID? Turns out it's likely the other way around. And that a lot of other people probably got exposed to it from the Big Wet President.

Trump was a loving vector in and of himself.

I think we all suspected this, but interesting horrifying to see it confirmed

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What is that game?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's there?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hard data on Omicron is still very difficult to come by, but this is concerning:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59621029

quote:

Dr Nick Davies, one of the researchers, said Omicron was spreading "very fast", was "quite concerning" and was likely to be the dominant form of the virus in England by the end of the year.

The report says the number of people infected is currently doubling every 2.4 days in England despite the country having high levels of vaccination. That is faster than the original form of the virus spread when nobody had protection.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hail Nurgle

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was there a record for biggest single spreader? This aussie guy seems to be chasing it if so. More than 200 so far

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/300480342/covid19-in-australia-man-who-skipped-selfisolation-spreads-virus-at-nightclub

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Omicrowned

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Am I understanding that the daily case rate is near as dammit one per cent of the total population?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

The source appears to be https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/search?postcode=SE15%205AD and those numbers appear to be weekly totals. When I clicked the "98", it said that was the total over 7 days, which is the ratio of 991.7 per 100k. "Average" doesn't appear anywhere that I could find.

So it's infecting 1% of the population weekly, not daily.

1/7th as bad then

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So you know how great noise was made about Denmark dropping all restrictions?

Welp.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/denmark-seeks-to-close-public-venues-to-curb-coronavirus/c02d80dc-8ab2-46c6-9f11-27f89a77fbbb

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The 2004 Ford Mondeo is all the car I'll ever need. I lived out of mine for four weeks with a gigantic dog on gravel roads and she never once skipped a beat.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I did a little looking into Omicron this morning and found a few things.

There's this from the Imperial Colleges:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/12/17/no-evidence-that-covid-omicron-variant-less-severe-than-delta-uk-study.html

quote:

'No evidence’ Omicron less severe than Delta, say UK researchers

I looked at the numbers, and the earliest report I could find of Omicron in the UK was 26 November. They reported 10000 cases yesterday, which by my math means doubling on a period of less than two days.

Be safe, everyone.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would not shock me in the slightest if Omicron was downplayed just to get people traveling and shopping before the end of Q4 and once that's no longer required the narrative is going to shift to "whoopsie!" while they count their profits.

Given the stink kicked up by SA over the immediate travel bans, I don't think that was the case. Even for covid, though, this is insanely fast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

But researchers warn that it is still too early to make definitive pronouncements about Omicron’s relative threat, because the outbreak’s epicenter is in one of the most heavily vaccinated parts of the country. Moreover, the majority of the population there has antibodies indicating recovery from a prior infection, which confers its own protection.

From here:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/12/17/world/south-africa-omicron-hospitalizations.amp.html

So far, I haven't seen anything with hard data saying that Omicron is milder. I linked that study yesterday where they say it doesn't seem more virulent than Delta, but that's not the same thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You're all welcome to come build isolated desert cabins with me out here in the valley. Just, you know, at least a 5 acre parcel away.

I'm keen. I will breed an army of white wolves to pull my chariot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

places were Sasquatch would chill if he was real.

Ban this sick filth

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.9news.com.au/national/huge-dust-storm-blankets-queenslands-north-west/fb8e3d6a-611e-45a2-b9a6-f17183740531

Real Fury Road imagery going on here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Loucks posted:

How in the world can my post be interpreted as an argument against washing hands? :psyduck:

Well if you read it then that's what it says, but maybe it's opposite day and words mean different things, if that's the case then don't continue

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Are you dead reckoning

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

You're simultaneously arguing that the CDC shouldn't have made the recommendation to take steps to stop fomite transmission because "that the authorities insisted that everyone should wash their hands specifically to prevent covid infection despite no evidence that it was a meaningful vector" while at the same time saying we need to "examine the actual data". Which is a god-awful approach to emergency response in general and a new viral pandemic in particular.

What i'm saying is complaining about CDC recommendations for hand washing is dumb as hell and you're dumb as hell for defending that bad take. Pushing back against your bad advice is not the same as not taking this pandemic seriously. Get off your cross we need the wood.

i got some wood for you right here buddy

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

hell yeah i'd love to work with some kauri

it's great stuff. hard as hell. of course, it's also protected so i think you can only use stuff that's died naturally, but if you can get it it's amazing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Although today its use is far more restricted, in the past the size and strength of kauri timber made it a popular wood for construction and ship building, particularly for masts of sailing ships because of its parallel grain and the absence of branches for much of its height. Kauri crown and stump wood was much appreciated for its beauty, and was sought after for ornamental wood panelling as well as high-end furniture. Although not as highly prized, the light colour of kauri trunk wood made it also well-suited for more utilitarian furniture construction, as well as for use in the fabrication of cisterns, barrels, bridge construction material, fences, moulds for metal forges, large rollers for the textile industry, railway sleepers and cross bracingfor mines and tunnels.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries Kauri gum (semi-fossilised kauri resin) was a valuable commodity, particularly for varnish, spurring the development of a gum-digger industry.

Today, the kauri is being considered as a long-term carbon sink. This is because estimates of the total carbon content in living above ground biomass and dead biomass of mature kauri forest are the second highest of any forest type recorded anywhere in the world. The estimated total carbon capture is up to nearly 1000 tones per hectare. In this capacity, kauri are bettered only by mature Eucalyptus regnans forest, and are far higher than any tropical or boreal forest type yet recorded.[30] It is also conjectured that the process of carbon capture does not reach equilibrium, which along with no need of direct maintenance, makes kauri forests a potentially attractive alternative to short rotation forestry options such as Pinus radiata.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i think by volume they're the biggest trees in the world. redwoods beat them for height but the trunks are stupid thick

check out tane mahuta here

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/northland/places/waipoua-forest/things-to-do/tane-mahuta-walk/

Measurements:

Trunk girth: 13.77 m
Trunk height: 17.68 m
Total height: 51.2 m
Trunk volume: 244.5 m³

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I love reading about girthy hardwood.

i might have steered you wrong after all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superlative_trees
The General Sherman Tree is the largest in the world at 52,508 cubic feet (1,487 cubic meters).

pretty gip

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

the only way i've ever gotten bamboo under control was to hack it all down, dig it out with a pickaxe and shovel, then put an old paddling pool beneath the surface of the soil.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, I could buy a car for what a new card is worth. And just quietly, I'd take a half-dozen Mondeos over a 3080.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

One took a bunch of some kind of opiate and passed out in his car in like 110° heat

His wife/gf then tried to defraud the insurance company lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

IT BEGINS

https://i.stuff.co.nz/science/300484500/a-dinosaur-embryo-was-found-inside-a-fossilised-egg-from-over-66-million-years-ago

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

a collapsing superpower simultaneously trying to prove to itself how strong it really is while howling about the ever present threats to its continued survival? sounds bad.

Especially when they have bright, flashy toys :/

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Meatballs? I love meatballs!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

I hope every new Madden game starts with an unskippable cutscene tribute to Madden

You can only skip by pressing F

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

:psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's 2022 though

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Final gently caress you or first gently caress you.

Pick your poison.

Let's just call it a double gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also 2022 stay the hell away from Mel Brooks!