Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I see it being sold another way. That the poor are "failing at America," the "land of opportunity." Buzzwords that Boomers eat right up because the last time they were even remotely true was when they were coming up in the world.

The homeless will be the "trial program." There's a reason most choose to stay *out* of shelters, but people (liberal and conservative) who don't care enough to learn why that is just assume they'd be better off "somewhere safe," you know, away from them and their compromised property values. And hey, if we can give them "jobs," in the loosest measure of the term, all the better, right?!?! Expect to have it sold as "bringing back American manufacturing" by people who will say that having a pool of forced labor "incentivized workers" will reduce our dependence on China. It's not like the precedent doesn't already exist for illegal/undocumented workers, it'll just take a bit more finagling because even a homeless person is still a citizen, more often than not.

The trial program is already underway. There’s tons of programs like Amazon’s Mechanical Turk jobs that are already performed by captive workforces. Either captive in the sense that there are no other options or literally captive in the cases of prisons and, disgustingly, refugee camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're more optimistic than I am. I'm starting to think that somewhere between 2020 and 2030 is where future historians will draw the line for "the collapse of American liberal democracy."

my wife and i are making plans to leave. it is not going to get better, and we (the people in this forum and those of similar sensibilities) are going to lose the coming civil war

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Picked up a copy of Bonhoeffer's Letters And Papers From Prison at the thrift store this weekend and he comes straight out of the gate swinging with many words dismayingly relevant to our frequent infighting ITT

Katy Perry, we await your orders

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yes, the cloud is very good, and i do love it

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

At this point as far as I know only New York has a source of truth for vaccinations anyway. Everywhere else is on a pinky swear and easily spoofed paper token system.

dawg I have this in Wisconsin. computers and electricity exist outside of the i-95 corridor

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I sure as gently caress learned my lesson. I’m going to try to get involved in local politics when I move back to California next year but gently caress the blue dogs.

good luck. I tried this where I live and the sickness in the national party is dripping into state level stuff. i've disconnected from electoral politics entirely and just try to do what I can in terms of mutual aid for my immediate community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I bought a can of pringles because I forgot that was under the Kellogg's umbrella. I am scabby the rat