Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A child should not be charged as an adult. Period. They are a child, and there is a reason we created a dual tree system. Either they are a child until arbitrary age, or they aren't; you don't get to have it both ways. It doesn't matter how mature or clever they are, they are kids, and should not be charged as adults.

Charging children as adults is akin to throwing them in the garbage; you've assured that their lives are over with no rehab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There is a local business owner in SE PA who has purchased multiple billboards blaming Biden for: empty wallets; high gas prices (in a state with the highest gas tax in the nation, IIRC); empty shelves; and 'Making the Taliban Great Again'.

The last has that poorly shopped pic of Biden's face on a foreign fighter with an RPG.

All of this is slightly amusing, because the way they fall apart at critical thought. It would be amusing, if the consequences of his ilk aren't still killing people. Last week, an old friend lost her husband after 30 days in the ICU. He's dead because he was stupid and wouldn't listen to reason and we have people making a pandemic political. 3 kids left without their Dad. A wife left alone to cope. All that heartbreak spreading like an infection. And it's happening tens of thousands of times a day. It's maddening.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Odd Q - does anyone know how I can go about getting a copy of a map from my time in Iraq? I remember the page designator, but can't get google to help me. Probably because I a mentally deficient, but still good looking.

The season opener of Always Sunny was executed to perfection, and was a fun version of the 2020 Timeline. McNabb>Stallone.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

3-6 years is more than enough to rehab a child if you actually care to, and have the resources.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Crumbley arraignment being aired right now.

Why is that person wearing BDUs? In the butt mortar pic.

Not BDUs- Multicam/Osprey/Scorpion.

I love camo poo poo- my wife got me a woobie smoking jacket in multicam.

"Sorry it's that camo- it was the only one available before Christmas! Is that a real camo? You don't own anything in it."
"Yeah, it's real. Called Multicam. I don't own anything but some pouches in it."
"Why?"
"Not a fan. And people are gonna be real mad when everyone shows up to the party dressed the same.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

Still trying to figure out what the justification is for Russian invasion of Ukraine.

They want it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dick Ripple posted:

I am aware that the Pearl Harbor attack did not occur in a vacuum, however her point was that it directly catapulted the US into the war and thus leading to over 400,000 further American dead because of it. And if we do not do something about the current status quo that is American Politics and how corrupted they are by the MIC and certain Media outlets, it could catapult the US into something worse.

Yeah, except her point is stupid because she is a major player in everything she says is a threat.
She is the threat she is "afraid" of.
She is directly responsible for the very thing she is lambasting.

She didn't make a point, she made a hype reel for idiots.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Tornado rips the house roof off
Texan shoots an elephant gunt at it
Broke into the wrong god drat rec room didn't you you bastard!

This is a good reference.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm sorry for ever participating in this madness

I feel the same way, but I can find some limited cold comfort in the fact that because of me, people went home. Because of me, a small group of unknown numbers went home alive, and as whole as I could manage.

I was never mean for the sake of mean.

I never viewed force as my first option.

I never hurt or killed people that didn't push my decision tree left.

It doesn't absolve me of gently caress all, and it doesn't change the horror and moral injuries war gives away like ribbons at the county fair, but at least any blood on my hands came from being a god damned professional, and any lasting pain is because I took the hit. That's what a professional does.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

When the choice is "live and die in poverty the same way about 1/3 of my high school graduating class has already" or get the GI Bill, well, not really much of a choice. Anyone who wants to criticize me and others like me can pony up the ~$60k tuition that was the only thing that has allowed me to stay employed somewhere outside of meth labs or the local Dollar General in the shithole Pennsultucky area I grew up in. The few people from home that I grew up with that I still want talk to, and are still alive/out of jail, say on the regular things have not gotten better.

My choices were pretty much military or heroin- I get that. The only people from my group of friends in my youth who escaped the Dundalk Doldrums were people who enlisted. My buddy John? He did it mostly smart- picked a job with civilian ties, clearance, and contractor positions. Did 3 or 4 years stationed in England, tooled around Europe on his free time. Got out with some hearing damage, and a high 5 figure contracting job he parlayed (along with that GI Bill) to a 6 figure position.

Meanwhile, I did the mostly dumb route. I tried to use the Infantry as a method of suicide, failed repeatedly, and got to be an assistant ride operator on Uncle Sam' Mesopotamian Misadventure, collected a bit of grenade glitter, TBI, and the inability to sleep without drugs. Individual experience may vary.

The Machine requires poverty and children. How else do you expect us to grind for Halliburton to clear another 40 billion next year- the rich people enlisting?

The funniest bit to me was having several Vietnam Vets, most with real time in the poo poo, tell me not to do it. I'm going to paraphrase one- "You are a stupid loving kid right now, and you want to fight. But you are smart enough that you will be propping up this bar at 30, instead of 60 like us. It hasn't changed. I can't talk you out, but I hope I can talk some sense." (Spoiler Alert- didn't take)

I'm not terribly conspiracy minded, but in the last few weeks I've a heard 2 or 3 versions of the government (in one version, pushed by DoD) purposely keeping people down, denying healthcare and education to ensure we always have cannon fodder. It fits. Same reason why the DoD doesn't want 'professional' soldiers- they want institutionalized soldiers.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Untagged posted:

But hey, at least those golden [poo poo] tits were pretty funny to look at sometimes.

I don't know who owns them this year; 98 rock used to have an annual competition to see who had to claim it- Essex or Dundalk. Don't know if they still do.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The machine requires children, but its the middle class that are the backbone of recruiting. 20 plus years of post-9/11 pro-war/military propaganda has produced an absolutely incredible amount of people who are true believers in America and the military.

I never realized how efficient the Bush Propaganda was until the fall of AFG. Seeing people not only old enough, but smart enough and involved enough, claiming the Taliban were responsible for 9/11.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Any changes to Retirees, Widows, or CRSC im the new NDAA?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Time made me person of the Year twice. Their standards are pretty loving low.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Pro Reply.

https://twitter.com/Serious_Luke/status/1470492988916867078?t=szhPkD3KckAoUf9f_tTUaw&s=19

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Keanu Reeves did Colbert last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_Tw7wPNSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkl0BKGO8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZM5Fb-9dto

Just Keanu being wholesome for 15 minutes, in case anyone needs to brighten their day.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a gently caress about a Matrix sequel? 20 years too late after a fairly mediocre trilogy, for a movie that the previews make look terrible.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The first Matrix was a pretty predictable plotted, mediocrely written, but tried to make up for it with SFX. It didn't work on me. The choice to tinge everything a sickly green didn't translate well off movie screens at the time. The whole thing was overhyped to Hell because of SFX, and rewatching it a few years ago, it mentally went into the same category as Armageddon- dumb brain candy that doesn't hold up to any critical application.

The 2 sequels were worse.

I think the 1st movie is a beautiful allegory for transitioning, but without that context it's a garbage summer movie.

I'll have 2 Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, and a baked potato.

E- because I word gooder.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

stealie72 posted:

Stringing along car chat:

Unless I'm super bad at converting from Rupees, a nice Tata Punch mini-SUV will run you $7-8k USD: https://cars.tatamotors.com/suv/punch

Assuming some more stringent safety standards in the US, even if they double the price, it will be in the 15k range.

I look at the small cars/trucks available in other countries and get depressed that a 25k mazda 3 is considered on the small and cheap side in the US.

Sounds too much like the SMART car to me.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I saw an Ice Cream truck on Twitter rolling around playing the Instrumental of Immortal Technique's 'Dance With the Devil'.

Which is not a tune I associate with delicious frozen treats

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

Good Omens did it first and funnier

Yeah, but that encourages Neil Gaiman to write more garbage.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

sure, the damage from a fat man on a large bike looks low, but just wait until it goes off :v:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Every pump I've stopped at for the last 3 months has had those stickers. I spend my time there scraping it off.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can I plant that Hobbitland tree in PA, and will it kill Chinese Sumac/Tree of Heaven and/or Bamboo?

Because gently caress both of those things. It's fun to pretend I'm a D&D Barbarian, but both are giant pains in my rear end that don't die.

I found some forum when I was looking at bamboo control. Paraphrased-

'there is a stand of bamboo at my new house. What can I do to keep it controlled?'

'Congrats. It's the bamboo's hone now. Chop it down seasonally, and wait for the next wave of bullshit.'

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It's just a fast missile. Who cares?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Maybe I'm a dipshit, but I can't seem to give a gently caress that it's just a faster missile. To me it seems like some more Chicken Little poo poo to get people riled about something obvious and miss them drone striking Lithuania. These wonder weapon headlines happen as often as a Victoria's Secret sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Current event: I've stopped watching "Don't look up" after 55 minutes, because I was hoping it at least had a happy end and then got spoiled, and now I feel like I'm the stereotypical triggered snowflake, and it's triggering me unironically

I'm also a seventh-generation cracker and I still love all of y'all

I really enjoyed it, but kept joking- "When does the doc stop and the satire start?"