Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chronojam posted:

Aren't there situations where team members appear in different jerseys during competition such as Blip and Tantrum? That seemingly is against the rules.

I guess it's OK for teams to help each other out however as long as they're only officially listed on just one form.

I only glimpsed through the rules but I'm not sure if there is anything restricting members of a team from helping out with another. Seems like it's pretty common among the robot builders to help each other out. I imagine it would be impossible to enforce anyway though due to the Blip / Tantrum, Team Whiplash / Defender, and The Whyachi clan. And the Whyachi's don't just bring 2-3 bots every year, they build parts that a majority of the field use. The Tombstone / Skorpios interview I posted not too long ago, Ray Billings even mentioned that he is running gearboxes from Whyachi.

Well new pages so, Going to also repost that Saturday is the next NHRL event and there will be 2 livestreams going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The interview where the Skorpios team went to Wisconsin to hang out with the Wyachi clan:

They mentioned that they knew how to fight a certain bot, because they knew the dimensions. Because they were the ones that machined their chassis.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

In the rules at least there isn't anything that would prevent this. But also Battlebots specifically is a competition where they actually approve which robots are allowed to compete. They are not going to deny a team like End Game or Tombstone from going to a future event by effectively forfeiting a match. But one of the smaller teams? Who knows.

And I guess even more direct. The "selection committee" even picks which robots get to move forward in the competition itself. Entertainment factor is one of the criteria for getting in the final 32.

The show doesn’t pay enough to have your bot turned to mulch every match

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That moment where the Ghost Raptor guy helped solve a huge problem in Glitch so that Glitch could then beat him is something I'm sure the Battlebots people don't want to ban.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The show doesn’t pay enough to have your bot turned to mulch every match

poo poo, it doesn't pay enough for GOAT Bite Force to keep participating. Battlebots is a huge net negative on the income statement for most of the teams.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Has anyone ITT been to a NHRL event live? I'm seriously considering making the trek from Maine to their event in December. It seems like a good time: 12+ hours of robot combat, demo boxes for kids to pilot bots, flexible seating to watch bouts, pit tours, and food truck all for :10bux: per person. Anyone have any firsthand experience with their events?

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

Has anyone ITT been to a NHRL event live? I'm seriously considering making the trek from Maine to their event in December. It seems like a good time: 12+ hours of robot combat, demo boxes for kids to pilot bots, flexible seating to watch bouts, pit tours, and food truck all for :10bux: per person. Anyone have any firsthand experience with their events?

I've heard good things, and the December event is the finals, so it'll be the best of the best turning up to fight. If I were going planning to go to watch (instead of compete) that's the one I'd go with.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Never had the chance to go, but watch their events all the time and seems to be a pretty well run event. December is also their yearly final, only the bots that make a deep run in the qualifiers during the year will be there. Which I'm pretty sure Team Minotaur qualified their bots for the final and will probably be there. I think Jamison Go has already qualified a couple bots for the final as well.

Also if you have any question. Here are links to both of their streams that will be up all day today! They got 87 3lb bots, 20 - 12lb, & 8 30lb bots registered for today. Jamison Go and Evan Arias (Pain Train from Battlebots, but I think he applied with a 250lb version of his 3lb bot that wins all the time at NHRL) are the only 2 names I recognize as also being part of Battlebots though, most teams likely sitting out NHRL to prepare for Battlebots.

All 3lb stream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bty0a8xakCI

And the mix 3, 12, & 30lb stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXstJoqMM-c

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty cool look inside the OG Nut winner, Vlad the Impaler. With an imposter that bought it off Ebay :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvrBd1QlA0s

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That's chewy! He's made a bunch of robots and ran a small parts store for a while. He's the one responsible for the giant rick and Morty butter passing robot a few years back as well as a member of Wrecks' team.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I've been quarantined for a week and watching some of the backlog of episodes on Discovery+. I didn't realize that Chomp circa 2018 had automated systems! That's cool as hell. Even though this and the walker version of Chomp later on didn't work that great, I like a team trying to innovate. Same with Blip's flywheel flipper, for example. Zoe Stephenson is such a good ambassador for the sport too. In one of these matches, she pulled down a kid from the audience to operate the arena's hammers for her side.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Railing Kill posted:

I've been quarantined for a week and watching some of the backlog of episodes on Discovery+. I didn't realize that Chomp circa 2018 had automated systems! That's cool as hell. Even though this and the walker version of Chomp later on didn't work that great, I like a team trying to innovate. Same with Blip's flywheel flipper, for example. Zoe Stephenson is such a good ambassador for the sport too. In one of these matches, she pulled down a kid from the audience to operate the arena's hammers for her side.

Chomp kinda sucks, but is the only bot to beat Bite Force somehow

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Chomp is a really awesome bot that sucks in practice. Seems all their social media has been silent since early 2021, so seems like it's probably not likely they are going to return this season. Between having a kid and Battlebots moving to Las Vegas instead of being in the same city as their shop probably made it too difficult :( .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Chomp rules. Hopefully some day they'll be back with even more appendages and AI control.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Chomp kinda sucks, but is the only bot to beat Bite Force somehow
Normal chomp is D tier, Awakened Chomp is S tier.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Chomp rules. Hopefully some day they'll be back with even more appendages and AI control.

The next version of Chomp is actually just the Battlebox.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I'm not sure how realistic it is, but a separate, fully automated division would be pretty cool. The challenge would be as much in programming as in the physical construction of the bots.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That's like sumobots

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

ante posted:

That's like sumobots

I just googled Sumobots. 1) Yes, and 2) this rules.

Speaking of innovating in Battlebots, I continued watching the season I'm currently in (2018), and Huge brought a mini bot named Surrender to a fight against Chomp. It just had a white flag wiggling around on a spring to try to fool Chomp's sensors. It didn't appear to work, and Chomp comically turned toward it and roasted it in the first five seconds. Huge won anyway, because this was clearly not Chomp's year.

Huge has been unstoppable in this season. That's weird to me because I know them as a B or C-tier bot in the present. I like the design insofar as I like teams trying innovative designs, but it seems like their weapon in 2018 is more dangerous than I've ever seen it since. Or maybe they just got some lucky matchups in 2018. I dunno.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I just watched a few Subobots compilations of Youtube. I could spend all day watching these little guys freak out. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gSioAMv3g

Battlebots going for it this year

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lol: at the folding chairs

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Railing Kill posted:

I just googled Sumobots. 1) Yes, and 2) this rules.

Speaking of innovating in Battlebots, I continued watching the season I'm currently in (2018), and Huge brought a mini bot named Surrender to a fight against Chomp. It just had a white flag wiggling around on a spring to try to fool Chomp's sensors. It didn't appear to work, and Chomp comically turned toward it and roasted it in the first five seconds. Huge won anyway, because this was clearly not Chomp's year.

Huge has been unstoppable in this season. That's weird to me because I know them as a B or C-tier bot in the present. I like the design insofar as I like teams trying innovative designs, but it seems like their weapon in 2018 is more dangerous than I've ever seen it since. Or maybe they just got some lucky matchups in 2018. I dunno.

Nobody knew how to kill Huge when it first debuted. It had a powerful weapon that no one wanted to get near, and a body that was very hard to get at. Three things were discovered that made Huge a lot less scary though, along with a fourth development in bot design.

1. Huge's wheels are plastic, which means spinners chew them up.
2. Huge's body is not armored, so if you can hit it it won't last long.
3. Huge's spinner has a long spin up time, so once you stop the spinner you can keep it locked down easily.
4.Bots got tougher so Huge couldn't one shot one kill most bots, meaning most bots can take advantage of weakness 3.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: at the folding chairs

Friendship with rake ended. Chair is my new best friend.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sweet geek swag posted:

Nobody knew how to kill Huge when it first debuted. It had a powerful weapon that no one wanted to get near, and a body that was very hard to get at. Three things were discovered that made Huge a lot less scary though, along with a fourth development in bot design.

1. Huge's wheels are plastic, which means spinners chew them up.
2. Huge's body is not armored, so if you can hit it it won't last long.
3. Huge's spinner has a long spin up time, so once you stop the spinner you can keep it locked down easily.
4.Bots got tougher so Huge couldn't one shot one kill most bots, meaning most bots can take advantage of weakness 3.

huge never really one shot one killed anything. it just wasn't touchable and took advantage of basically marking out 5-0 damage or ripping at wheels and whatever while the other robot flailed around. if anything its weapon has historically been pretty weak comparatively.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

huge never really one shot one killed anything. it just wasn't touchable and took advantage of basically marking out 5-0 damage or ripping at wheels and whatever while the other robot flailed around. if anything its weapon has historically been pretty weak comparatively.

Yeah it's got a "na na you can't touch me" gimmick

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Borsche69 posted:

People thought it could though. It came in just at the tail end of the big horizontal spinner era when vertical spinners were beginning to establish dominance. So people thought it might be a vertical Tombstone. It wasn't, but people did not want to test that weapon for a while. Even by that point the building in bots had begun to improve, so there were plenty of bots that could easily go in and gently caress up Huge from inside, but people hadn't realized that the meta had changed yet, so they didn't want to risk it. It's not a coincidence that 2018 was the last season Tombstone looked like a top tier bot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't they change the rule to lower max tip speed in a way that nerfed bar spinners like Tombstone and Huge?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't they change the rule to lower max tip speed in a way that nerfed bar spinners like Tombstone and Huge?

That more designed for Deep Six I thought, but it definitely might have affected them.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Reducing the tip speed was because of Hellachopper. Reducing the weapon mass was because of Deep Six. Tombstone for sure spun faster during the ABC run compared to Discovery along with a handful of other bots (Minotaur, Icewave, Nightmare, etc).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0fgYlaack

No commentary sounds like

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Holy crap :laffo:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Of course Martin Mason is going to show up for the folding chair match. :lol:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

No commentary sounds like
This just feels wrong.

Dill getting stabbed into the floor is brilliant though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There were quite a few good matches there. Only felt like a couple ended up with getting stuck or being unable to move. I feel bad for Orby blade, it looks so neat but has had a really bad time on battlebots.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bertha the Toaster posted:

This just feels wrong.

Dill getting stabbed into the floor is brilliant though.

i do really like the crowd noise stuff though

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was bad not having Faruq intros, but the straight box audio fights are kind of nice!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, the crowd and box noise was nice, I'd love it if they could have that with the usual commentary to fill in the dead air too.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Overhaul managing to lose a wheel against a robot armed with a chair is the most Overhaul thing. :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't want a show that was entirely just fights with the guy's commentary, but boy is this refreshingly brisk and action-packed.

Like you throw in Chris and Kenny and a pit interview or two and you could do 10 fights in an hourlong episode ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah, the crowd and box noise was nice, I'd love it if they could have that with the usual commentary to fill in the dead air too.

Would be really slick if they had this as the alternate audio program for streaming.