Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bots missing though include Bronco, which appears to be for sale...

It's only old bits of Bronco for sale. Maybe Inertia Labs show up one day with a new Bronco or other bot, but they've always been a tight-lipped group.

Looking forward to Uppercut blowing up another robot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How do you get into the upper deck? I don't see any ramps

You don't. Being on the shelf starts a KO timer even if you're mobile. You have to get off the shelf or lose. This rule was added to help control and flipper bots since you can't get an out-of-the-arena KO as easily this year. Notice there are slated bits of lexan around the walls preventing bots from getting trapped there like they used to.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

is pepsi ok posted:

I can't see how any multibot could be competitive because they are too small and unarmored to deal with spinners. A 125lbs bot is never going to stand up to Tombstone, End Game, Uppercut, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatqZqh0e58

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Railing Kill posted:

Also: why doesn't it have a third weapon? It seems like they built a spinner and a wedge and then....just ran out of weight?

Ran out of time and weight. The builder has a whole series of vlogs about the build here. I liked the part in one video where he complains that his parts are late coming in from China because of some kind of weird flu or something? It wasn't mentioned in the fight but it's called Triple Crown not just because of the design, but because the builder has won Robot Wars and Robotica and is going for the third.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Son of Whyachi didn't even deliver that level of damage to Ghost Raptor

I'd love to know if Huge got in trouble with production at all for intentionally driving onto the shelf (a move that totally ruled).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Railing Kill posted:

I wonder about that late hit on Jager. It seemed like a cheap shot on a bot that was already counted out.

The drivers can't hear other team being counted out, but more to the point the fight was edited to make the hit look late.

https://old.reddit.com/r/battlebots/comments/t2n1tg/battlebots_bonus_fight_captain_shrederator_vs/

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

I can't get the thought out of my head of Huge breaking Uppercuts self-righting bars and Uppercut getting stuck in a weird position.

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 13, 2022

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Otteration posted:

Huge didn’t look mobile at the end, fwiw.

It wasn't, there's a good recap from the team here: https://hugebattlebots.com/team-huge-battlebots-blog/huge-vs-uppercut-2021-fight-4-top-32

Also a hilarious fight preview at the bottom...

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
You really, really don't want to dive into the political stance of a group of people that's almost entirely very rich white people. I just like watching robots fight and don't want to lose any of my love for the sport.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But because Cobalt was broken and unable to stop it's active weapon, they went to the judges decision where Cobalt won...

So here's the thing - that's not what happened:

quote:

What happened during the fight was this.

Matt pushed Whiplash into the corner, knowing that Whiplash was crabwalking enought to not be counted out. Once Whiplash had been shoved against the side of the shelf, Matt spun Cobalt back around. When Cobalt spun the right side gyroed upwards, and when it dropped we were high center on either some shrapnel or the floor. A moment after Whiplash twitched into the shelf then stopped moving. At that moment no one was sure what was going on other than Whiplash was not moving and neither was Cobalt. They then paused the fight.

Trey went out to see what had actually happened to the robots and see if an unstick was needed. We shut Cobalt’s spinner off before Trey entered. Trey determined that there was probably an unstick needed but insisted on turning off the bots, something that had never happened before in previous unstick or even possible unsticks that had happened previously in the season.

When attempting to shut off Cobalt, Trey could not shut off the weapon as there was some debris blocking the switch. What we had told Trey which was not heeded, was that our weapon and drive switch are linked, so the drive switch could’ve been shut off which would have powered down the whole bot. At no point was our spinner stuck on. Trey decided to simply count the whole thing as a double KO, and did the KO as seen filmed.

The judges then did something I had never seen before this season, and actually entered the box to inspect the bots. The decision was then rendered as a split decision for Cobalt.

At no time did we not have control over Cobalt’s weapon. Forcing a shut off before an unstick had never happened before that season. Despite clear communication on how to shut off Cobalt it was not done. Also Battlebots had control over the fight being highlighted and highlighted it for a reason, which will make itself apparent in time.

Maybe things will be more clear once the fight is released on Sunday?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Borsche69 posted:

was it really a melty? every fight I've ever seen it in just has it spinning dead in place; maybe slightly drifting in a direction. every hit it seemed to get was because someone drove into it

Let's be honest, you've described every melty brain robot ever. I'd love to see a melty drive a simple obstacle course to prove me wrong though!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

PostNouveau posted:

I think that shot was a lot weirder than it first looked. In the slowmo, it hits twice and the first one lifts it up a bit and the second one delivers a blast to a part of Rotator that clearly wasn't ready to take a hit of that magnitude.

They're saying on the reddit that Rotators own blade cut into its underbelly which was changed from titanium to aluminum. The first cut removed the all the screws, then when the blade came back around it cut out what was left.

oh jay posted:

In my head, I'm already prototyping some kind of Tantrum-but-with-lifting-arm bot. Some kind of spinner that can be tucked away while building up speed, and the strategy is to pin, lift, and then attack the underbelly.

This is close!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m9B4y_C-qqiWLVJqlh1NPLOr2D-pdcL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

ante posted:

A good demonstration that two 125lb bots would never compare to one 250lb bot.

Don't make me post this again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatqZqh0e58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wE2UrtwOQg&t=130s