Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How legal is it to have a second bot, within weight, that's filled with shrapnel that exists to die and try to jam up the other bot. I know snares are out, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want Minotaur to go all the way this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkbAcwYix7I

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Battlebots has a page up on Amazon Prime Video again, but it's prompting for Discovery+ this year. :shrug:

Maybe that will change after the first episode's up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bluh, episode's up on Amazon now, you do need Discovery+ after all, 5 a month. I'll just have to make a note to cancel it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking forward to Minotaur v Blacksmith round 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

i want Pain Train to be good, but good lord, they just spin that eggbeater up and then cannot turn for poo poo

It seems like a lot of newer teams have that issue, I guess they don't have a chance to practice or drive on the material in advance

They were better than last year but same problem still

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That pic makes it look like Shatter's not bothering with the ablative armor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

250 one pound bots vs. anything

Whoever wins, we win

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Great Beer posted:

So do you just start giving remotes to the audience? I don't think you can fit 250 people around box.

Either a team of volunteers or just have them all more or less slaved to the same controller(s)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has Rotator really never won

Lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurntCornMuffin posted:

They've had wins, going 1-2 in season 5's quals.

Oh I misunderstood the guy, was going to say

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should add some slight hills or elevation too. Varied terrain is more interesting and would mix things up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ror posted:

I totally forgot that they tried to stage a few giant robot fights, turns out they're all hilariously bad. I timestamped the "action".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkmufCkqi4&t=597s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ouLX8Q9UM&t=512s

Lmao at fight 2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to see another extra-heavy barely mobile walker or crawler at some point, it's a fun idea even if the extra weight allowance is really just pity points

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Railing Kill posted:

I think of Duck like I think of the stax archetype in Magic the Gathering, which is not good. Like, I get the value of a control build but it can be done without being so dang boring. Even the thing's aesthetic design is boring.

Remember that weird control bot from years ago that had the lid to an entire sandbox attached to it? It would put the ladybug-shaped dome over opponents and I think there was a vert spinner on the inside that would (theoretically) damage the opponent all the while. It had limited success but, like, iterate on that! These control bots without weapons and what a Magic player would call a "win condition" are just not going to win on points. Control isn't worth enough points, and you're not going to score damage or aggression points without a functional weapon. I genuinely wonder if Duck has ever won a match without their opponent burning out or knocking themselves out somehow.

I think anything that blocks or interferes with the other person driving is banned now. They should loosen that hard though. Add chaff and chains, tangle the other person up, box em in, who cares?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip in parts Blade

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing with that fight wasn't the swap for the catcher, it's that it specifically disabled their main weapon and they won by doing nothing. They also started ignoring the ref after that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here's how Ghost Raptor can still win:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DarklyDreaming posted:

Re-entering as four separate robots?

Ghost Compies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol at that being a split decision

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol the Tombstone/Free Shipping fight

Tombstone could probably use some sort of an overhaul

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm telling you, 500 1 pound bots. Name them the Smiths.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That was probably the worst possible strategy for Deep Six to do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

House robots in Robot Wars were lame if only because no one ever teamed up to try and intentionally kill one (presumably because in the rules they couldn't)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao it's what I always wanted to see thank you

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Huge honestly should've been counted out. It couldn't move in a straight line way before it knocked Switchback out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rusty will drop in from the rafters on the winner, taking the nut for itself

Also, how heavy is the nut, how feasibly could you make a robot containing it in some way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771rW5eI6y4

Lol

It's a fun idea though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip that Omniwheel robot, done in by logistics

I want P1 to win now by doing nothing lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm pretty convinced now that Tombstone's general design needs some sort of overhaul or rethought, it just can't really keep up anymore.

Feel like that should've gone to Mad Catter. Black Dragon was a little more aggressive but MC did more damage. Control was even.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 24, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any word about post-season stuff this time around or can I go ahead and cancel my discovery+ sub after next week

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minotaur or bust now let's go

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Borsche69 posted:

sawblaze is the best though. SOB/TDD but it does real straight up damage

I ate at a local park yesterday and a kid in a bench a ways from us agreed, loudly

First time I've ever heard a single person talk about Battlebots in person lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bot of Theseus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

lol if Jake Ewert just spray-painted "Hydra" on Son of Whyachi or something.

Also I think people are jumping to "entirely new bot" in the comments, but what if it's something like one of the teams with two robots just swaps in the second one when the first one gets mega-hosed up in, like, the quarterfinals? Witch Doctor has talked in their social media about having basically two Witch Doctors. I believe Tombstone brings essentially two Tombstones every year too.

We've seen shots of multiple chassis for lots of robots, so I assume it's not just that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That one team technically has two different bots in right? I wonder if that's related

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ante posted:

Someone sneaks a second bot into the same fight

My god that's Rusty's music!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

You know, I was thinking in the past episode that it seemed like flippers weren't aiming for the DQ as much as I thought they should, I guess that rule explains why

That's a weird rule change. I guess it's for safety?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Really surprised how things ended out! I think the problems as ever are just that the refs are really inconsistent and a lot of the rules around sticks/outs/controlled movement/etc. are poorly thought out

Bushido Brown posted:

Separately on the “controversy” I’ll say without spoilers that it wasn’t as controversial as I expected and I assume that it must have read differently live, because I didn’t see anything here that I thought would really change the outcome.

Reddit is saying that the audience went apeshit particularly towards the women

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

sweet geek swag posted:

If you have to dodge the other bot, you shouldn't be looking for a count out. [/spoiler]

Yeah exactly. Minotaur was "crab walking", but also really obviously limping in Witch Doctor's direction - it had to keep retreating from it.

Also I always laugh when they have a guy come out with a crowbar and get to it lol