Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I like Duck! and it losing that one rumble to Bombshell a couple seasons ago was the most bullshit thing I've seen in all the Robot Wars and Battlebots I've watched.

I'm not much of a fan of Tombstone myself either. But some of that is probably how much they just keep hyping it up.

I also mentioned this in the last thread, but one of the guys on the Skorpios team is dwangoAC of TASBot fame, who I have some contact with. Last season we chatted a bit about BB on IRC after I recognized him in the crowd, including that he originally wasn't on location but had to drive down with some extra front plates ahead of some fight since they had run out of good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

"The Internet Investigator" on Youtube posted a video about The Dark Side of Robot Wars, discussing some incidents and dispelling some longstanding myths, including a skewering of Ed Hoppitt's (of Storm 2) old claims about how the producers tried to screw him, specifically, over. Claims that weren't actually looked into by anyone to see if they held any water until just a few years ago. The reason he never returned after season 8 is that he seems to have been straight up banned from RW at that point.

I had read about most of the stuff that's discussed in the video, but there were some more details I didn't know, and one thing I hadn't heard about at all before was that Dead Metal apparently almost decapitated Jeremy Clarkson during the filming of The First Wars.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 14, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Looten Plunder posted:

making Bots out of Lego
Now that brings back memories, I used to do that back in the day after watching Robot Wars. I think I still have pictures of some of them somewhere, will check when I get home from work.

Edit: Found 'em. Pictures of the full lineup of 16 bots I had. Watching AGDQ right now, can post them later.

Edit 2: I'll channel 10 year old Kenny and post about my AWESOME LEGO FIGHTING ROBOTS after I've watched this week's episode.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 13, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PostNouveau posted:

^^^ Tentamoochi or something like that. The builder is one of the judging panel now.
Tentomushi, which unsurprisingly is Japanese for ladybug!

I've liked Duck in seasons past but this season's version seems like a clear downgrade, that lifter is just... so limp and seems to just make the front weaker.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Deep Six vs. Smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaBejT_TpWs

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Don't forget the last Battlebots rumble had Blacksmith gently caress over Duck to get into the tournament.
That was Bombshell (unless I forget some other rumble) in the most absolute bullshit moment since Bombshell had been immobile for more than 30 seconds and only came to life right at the end while Duck had purged the arena.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

El Fideo posted:

I could see the sport eventually moving towards something more like a "stock" format. You get a, b, c, or d chassis, give it e, f, g, or h wheels, armor made from I, j, or k etc., maybe on a point buy system or something. I definitely think that's a long way off, since the focus right now is split between iterations of the meta defined by Bite Force, and innovations attempting to break that meta.

Lone Goat posted:

That sounds incredibly loving boring
If you wanna see what that would kind of look like in heavyweight classes, check out the Robot Wars Battle of the Stars episodes from 2016.

Spoilers: It's not very interesting and spinners still dominate

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

They did spin non-combat events off into its own show for a bit when main RW became combat only: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno_Games

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The bonus Retrograde vs. Defender fight is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tL8a02ibs

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Also, completely random shower thought. Isn't it weird that all three women lead teams are horizontals?
Witch Doctor is a vertical spinner and Andrea's always been considered the captain of that team.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RBA Starblade posted:

House robots in Robot Wars were lame if only because no one ever teamed up to try and intentionally kill one (presumably because in the rules they couldn't)
lol they absolutely did that

The most notable example was the Flipper Frenzy during I believe one of the Robot Wars Extremes, where four of the top tier flippers at the time were entered into a free-for-all. They instead teamed up to flip as many of the house robots as possible.

Really it's just not something you'd see during the main tournament where a win is more important, but in side events where losing doesn't mean you're out of the tournament you can go more wild. There were also many occasions where after pitting the opponent, the winning bot would go on to attack the house robots. Razer famously crushed Matilda at one point because they were planning on rebuilding her anyway so they gave Razer permission to go to town on her.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Couple of gambles in here.

Almost wanted to put Cobalt as the winner but I think End Game would come out on top in that battle.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I was surprised Blip's third fight wasn't against Hydra, really thought we'd get a flipper showdown.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Icewave was specifially noted to have swapped in an older model of the robot, and iirc a season or two ago it was mentioned that Donald Hudson had brought three whole Lock-Jaws.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well my bracket got thorougly busted lol

Really thought Witch Doctor was gonna take it after that Sawblaze fight.

Cobalt should stop sticking things like that to the front of their bot, I think every time they've lost it's been due to those front additions. So, yeah, they have helped them at least once, but with the way their weapon is oriented, if the addition *doesn't* work they just prevent them from hitting the other bot.

Also can I just mention how tired I am of hearing "impress the selection committee" and "strength of schedule", I get that it's a way to make sure the most popular bots get more camera time even if they perform like rear end but I vastly prefer the Robot Wars format where each episode sends one bot to the finals/semi-finals.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PostNouveau posted:

Someone made an application for next season for a robot you see a fair amount of in the NHRL lower weight divisions, but I don't think has ever been attempted at 250 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLCBpzJVusE

It's a "melty brain", which is close a full-body spinner but it has that type of movement like Glitch and Shatter where it can go anywhere without having to rotate. I believe bots that kind of look like this like Gigabyte and Captain Shredderator are "full body" spinners in that they have a rotating shell on the outside of the bot. Hoping these guys get accepted so we get a new bot type next year.
It's been done at heavyweight (specifically, 97 kgs/214 lbs)! Nuts 2 in the third season of the Robot Wars revival was the robot that pioneered the meltybrain system (the show even making it sound like team captain Rory Mangles was the guy who invented it, which I'm not sure if it's really the case, but at the very least he was the first to get it to work), in the process making it the first combat robot that actually made flails work as a weapon. It did ridiculously well, making it to the finals and finishing joint third with Behemoth, in the process also becoming the first robot to actually beat Carbide since the beginning of the previous season, with a perfect shot to their weapon chain. Carbide got their revenge, but had to weld on a shield for their weapon chain specifically for the rematch with Nuts 2, and several hits were landed on it.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 12, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

HellaChopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Borsche69 posted:

was it really a melty? every fight I've ever seen it in just has it spinning dead in place; maybe slightly drifting in a direction. every hit it seemed to get was because someone drove into it
In seasons 8 and 9, Nuts was just a flailbot. The meltybrain was put in for season 10 (they meant to have it for season 9, but it wasn't ready in time). It's not moving fast when spinning at full speed, but it's very clearly controlled movement while spinning, and from what I can find, Nuts 2 was the very first heavyweight meltybrain combat robot. I dug a little more into it and the tech existed and was named before Nuts 2, but Team Nuts built custom speed controller and meltybrain logic boards, and wrote the software for it themselves, which as far as I can tell was the first time it really worked for a heavyweight. Backed up by that it really seems like that, until ZAP debuts, Nuts 2 is to date the only known heavyweight meltybrain.

Found some videos from Team Nuts demonstrating their test rig and a test drive where you can clearly see it's moving a specific direction while spinning. They were posted in this topic where two of the Team Nuts members, including Rory, specified some stuff.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 12, 2022