Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

People like you that have no appreciation for control bots are the reason so much of the field is 4wd vertical spinners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ror posted:

I'm glad Deep Six is back, I always felt like it never got enough chances to gently caress stuff up compared to it's sheer destructive potential.

Its potential got new spinning weapon restrictions implemented and finally forced them to replace the floor. So in a way it was one of the more influential robots. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

How legal is it to have a second bot, within weight, that's filled with shrapnel that exists to die and try to jam up the other bot. I know snares are out, at least

It would be against the arena fouling rules at the very least. I would definitely consider it intentional entanglement as well. So I'd say not very.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Good news on blacksmith, it's not a hammer anymore. Now it can do damage and if it's as durable as it used to be it might actually be a terror.

https://battlebots.com/robot/blacksmith-2021/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

BattleBots also used to have pretty strict rules regarding copyright for the robots they accepted. So you'll sometimes see them that compete under different names and paint jobs at live fights. Whiplash originally got entered as Splatter, for example.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So do you just start giving remotes to the audience? I don't think you can fit 250 people around box.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rotator has never won it's first fight in the season, it's obviously won fights before.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea what Defender was supposed to do

It's a clamp lifter like complete control. The blue bar underneath goes down and lifts the entire robot though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

False, the deck owns and has demonstrably benefited control bots and hosed over spinners. A good change.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tombstones been bolting teeth on to the bar for as long as it's existed. Before laser cutting got so cheap it was pretty common and it's generally worked out. Except for that one time with Nightmare.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.botsfc.com/home/battlebots-2021-post-fight-report-1-shatter-vs-subzero-breaking-the-ice-on-a-new-season

Botsfc write-up on the fight, some damage pictures, and changes to shatter for the season.

Also has some explanation on what was wrong with subzeros flipper.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If they're going to change anything, split the shelf in half and put one in each corner. As it is it creates a blind spot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Wow what a hit.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The snake sock puppets biting each other in the background during the pre fight interview for mvp of the episode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

That's what I was thinking. It doesn't make sense that Duck would be that much slower and less agile than Witch Doctor because of weight concerns.

Duck had speed controller issues. Brushless is a bitch to get get working right.

https://m.facebook.com/BlackandBlueRobotics/posts/317385423735059?notif_id=1642785134976197&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Something was very wrong with Duck that fight but the forks didn't have anything to do with it. Brushless drive is a bitch, hopefully he gets it dialed in enough to give a good fight next time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

Duck was bowing in the middle at points during the fight, it was very clearly made of three sections. That doesn't bode well for its overall durability. That sort of flexing isn't necessarily bad, but I can't imagine that it is good for the internals, even if the robot is designed to take shock impacts like that. The new design has a lot of question marks still.

Mad Catter was (maybe still is?) built that way. Let's see how that's worked out for them:

https://youtu.be/3ttuUiX4Nn0

Oh.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They do. Chris rose mentioned it at one point, probably in that interview he did a few weeks ago.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

To quote one of the refs: "there's no tapping out in BattleBots".

You're either dead or you're fighting.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

I finally got a chance to catch up on the latest ep.

Was Tombstone v Mammoth the first double KO in Battlebots? Has this ever happened before in any other league? It seems like it would have by now.

Probably the most famous one from way back when on comedy central:

https://youtu.be/cC_8X1f9Vwk

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Betas builder doesn't like playing the low ground game and it shows. Betas wedge is terrible, which is no good for a control bot.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Fight spoiler chat:

holy poo poo, uppercut hates flamethrowers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvy9mCillVs

hammerbots dont do damage

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

drat. Lockjaw vs Hypershock was not one of the fights I was expecting to last long but both of them gave the fight of their careers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You have to remember there are relatively few people who actually build these things, even in the smaller classes, and they generally hate weird gimmicky stuff that gets in the way of robots hitting each other with spinny things. that includes teammates. It's hard enough to get people to agree if arena hazards should exist.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'm so hyped to see this threads reaction to ghost raptor vs cobalt. :allears:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ror posted:

I think it's the only one that could just drive up, maybe a flipper could launch themselves onto it.

I loved how cavalier the Blip team was with self-flipping. I was nervous the whole time expecting some classic break-your-own-bot schadenfreude, but that lil guy is sturdy.

One of the team members on Reddit said they were doing that because the switch on their controller broke so they got stuck in full power mode.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It might do well with a lighter weapon so it can more effectively make use of its gimmick.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Not sure, been a few years since they gave them that option... Although Lockjaw is a team that will get in the tournament at 1-2, and I think there is some chance they survive against a flipper bot...

Perhaps the most odd thing on the season, is there are at least 2 bots on the 2021 page that entered the even just for Bounty Hunters season 2, but thus far there has been no word on it being a thing... (Perfect Phoenix, mom wouldn't let the kid miss school for Battlebots... & Big Dill for reasons unknown)

Big Dill is a repurposed warhawk frame so they may not have had the parts to do a full tournament run. The builder is on the Jager team so he's doing something.

It's not surprising some showed up just for the bounty hunter tournament. Easier to get a weekend off than two weeks straight.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Witch doctor isn't a horizontal though?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What about a large, mobile hazard? It could punish robots that go into a certain zone and could also unstick the competitors. It could be a large robot controlled by the house. A house bot if you will

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Norwalk has a house bot for exactly that purpose (and a mobile camera) and everyone seems to like it. It's when you get things like Matilda's butt spinner kicking the poo poo out of people that people start to disagree.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My Second Re-Reg posted:

ngl I think a lot of people are sleeping on Blip

Blips opponents have a combined zero wins this season so I'd argue they haven't really been tested yet.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hypershock did no damage and lost on control. p1 deserved that win. :colbert:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

i think they'd have been fine if they just made sure that the ears that they put on the hypershock that would've let them drive inverted were actually structurally sound. one ear got bent almost as soon as they went upside down and caused them to run on their disc, and then the second one also eventually went. i hate to poo poo on a bot like that, but its like they didn't drive it upside down at all - it didn't seem like it took any force at all to cause the ears to bend

they're only 3/16 ti, which it turns out isn't enough to handle the force from crashing into the wall. It's also comically thin for anything on a heavy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TomR posted:

I really wish they showed the whole Uppercut vs Huge fight.

The two highlighted fights are supposed to be on YouTube Sunday.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

its weight savings and big wheels, as fragile as they ever look, are not necessarily that fragile. that said, i'd like to see them go the copperhead route with their wheels being a solid core - obviously depending on how much weight that requires to be transferred to the wheel itself. copperhead is so compact and solid, but also tombstone clearly spends basically no weight on any of the non-frame armor. weight efficiency has to be an insane task

Tombstones wheels aren't being damaged. It's either the motor, gearbox, or speed controller failing. They seem to stay on just fine but one side just keeps dying.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This is the least shocking reveal.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well minotaur/endgame was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Rules question: I thought a weapon HAD to fail safely to an off position? Is that just not enforced by anything?

They do but if cobalt is controlling it's weapon with a contactor instead of a speed controller it may have fused together from the power running through it. Gigabyte/Invader had this issue in season 2 or 3 and shut down filming for nearly an hour while the batteries died.