Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

NHRL going now, basically non stop fights now as they have 5 boxes, although 1 of them is only for the elimination matches and they are mostly ignoring them...

Interestingly though, Jamison Go's Silent Spring is running a shuffle / walker setup to be 5lb. Maybe some potential for a 500lb Sawblaze in the future?

They have a "finals" live stream schedule for 6PM EST, which will probably go to like midnight....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgyKEvpO6uU

You don't get this quality of fights from Battlebots.

Please tell me the giant, inflatable penguin is a bot in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I've come to enjoy NHRL so much more than Battlebots. The commentary can be awful but the spirit of the events is just fantastic.

Esoter1c
Jul 18, 2007
Do you know me?
I don't think I've seen anyone do this yet, so I've put our results into a Google Sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12K6qBzCbkdF1-wGOQmVQ3MxARZjrrTCnGfsCm17rx9c/edit

I think last year we did 1 point for the correct round 32 guess, 2 per correct right 16 guess, etc. I've also awarded 1 point for correct play in guesses.

Hopefully it works, enjoy!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

NHRL going now, basically non stop fights now as they have 5 boxes, although 1 of them is only for the elimination matches and they are mostly ignoring them...

Interestingly though, Jamison Go's Silent Spring is running a shuffle / walker setup to be 5lb. Maybe some potential for a 500lb Sawblaze in the future?

They have a "finals" live stream schedule for 6PM EST, which will probably go to like midnight....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgyKEvpO6uU

You don't get this quality of fights from Battlebots.

oh hey the guy from Mammoth is taking a stint at the commentary table.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Please tell me the giant, inflatable penguin is a bot in combat.

It was actually just a big joke from Joe Fabiani of Smeeee. Because of this old fight he had there a 1-2 years ago (there's a bunch of fights of Smeee, but the 1st one is the 1). It was actually just a big inflatable penguin and half of Joe's new bot broke before the match started but they ran the match anyway (possibly at his request).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-espOsLeY

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2022

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
The Rotator/Shrederator fight is up on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpJLXumfPfo Known outcome but shrederator damages the arena in a way I don't know if we have seen before.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Can they please retire Shrederator now

E: here's Jake Ewert with some behind the scenes footage of the sneaky preparations for their Ribbot fight. "Wedgelets? Oh sure technically the bot still has the exact wedgelets we showed in the photo we sent to production so they knew what we were entering into the fight, wink wink "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigIA-PwvEE

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 27, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can they please retire Shrederator now

E: here's Jake Ewert with some behind the scenes footage of the sneaky preparations for their Ribbot fight. "Wedgelets? Oh sure technically the bot still has the exact wedgelets we showed in the photo we sent to production so they knew what we were entering into the fight, wink wink "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tigIA-PwvEE

lol that's pretty evil

PITT
Sep 21, 2004
MISTER
I like to hate on shrederator as much as everyone but I feel like some of these guys who keep coming back year after year loss after loss with a smile and a handshake are probably a big part of why the show keeps going and why their hobby community seems as close as it is.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

PITT posted:

I like to hate on shrederator as much as everyone but I feel like some of these guys who keep coming back year after year loss after loss with a smile and a handshake are probably a big part of why the show keeps going and why their hobby community seems as close as it is.

They acted nice at the end of that last one, but i've seen the old dude get pretty salty at losses. Like, noticably more than most teams. I'm not saying he's always a bad sport, but there's better examples of good sportsmanship out there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I would give the Unrelenting Optimism and Sportsmanship in the Face of Crushing Defeat award to Gary Gin.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The Icewave vs Whiplash match was also uploaded at the same time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

El Fideo posted:

The Icewave vs Whiplash match was also uploaded at the same time.

https://youtu.be/zcsmn96O5F4

Posted for convenience

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

They acted nice at the end of that last one, but i've seen the old dude get pretty salty at losses. Like, noticably more than most teams. I'm not saying he's always a bad sport, but there's better examples of good sportsmanship out there.

the son has thrown a ton of nonsense on the battlebots reddit, to the point where it was kinda embarrassing. but everyones stupid on the internet and i can't just assume the worst because of it. also phrizbee is a classic and i'm glad the team is still around.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't like the rah rah American patriotism, I think it's weird and cringy

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ante posted:

I don't like the rah rah American patriotism, I think it's weird and cringy

its fine. its no more 'rah rah' than what you'd find at like a usmnt soccer game or whatever

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm not an American fyi so that whole cultural phenomenon is foreign to me

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe Jake Ewert here and say that Battlebots was probably edited for drama and Ribbot was given ample chance.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

ante posted:

I am an American and it's cringeworthy as gently caress. Difference being that at a pro sports game it's the organizers getting the military to do jet flyovers and poo poo, and here it's one dude desperately trying to make that happen.

He's the dork who helpfully reminds the teacher that we haven't been assigned any homework.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ante posted:

i don't know what country you're from but i've lived in england and the netherlands and the amount of patriotism there is what's put on display for any international sporting event. soccer, olympics, whatever. i've never seen someone get as serious about dutch speedskating as when i was at a bar in leiden

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Eh, I've always assumed that their flag motif happened after they realised the bot they'd built was shaped like Captain America's shield and was always more of a gimmick than a stance

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Nah, dude's a chud, fuckem.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

This is the least shocking reveal.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
You really, really don't want to dive into the political stance of a group of people that's almost entirely very rich white people. I just like watching robots fight and don't want to lose any of my love for the sport.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I can imagine Donald Hudson becoming the leader of a battlebots fan-based sex cult. He just needs to let his hair grow out and start wearing robes

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Makes sense. Pretty sure the Vasquez family is behind a string of audacious art heists. Jason is doing Defender now because he thought they should expand to jewels.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

lol goddamn

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Carlo Bertocchini was repeatedly sued for inappropriate disposal of sharps and other biological waste

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Eh, I've always assumed that their flag motif happened after they realised the bot they'd built was shaped like Captain America's shield and was always more of a gimmick than a stance

It was originally called Phrizbee in the original Battlebots, but then they took the same bot over to England for Robot Wars. Since that season they had a big "Britain vs. the World" gimmick tournament, they decided to go all out on the American imagery and call it The Revolutionist. And I guess they just kept the America motif ever since and gave it an even wackier name for the reboot in 2015.

If you think the American theme is over the top now, look at the outfits the team used to wear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgfiTMb-rU

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 28, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fish Of Doom posted:

If you think the American theme is over the top now, look at the outfits the team used to wear.

Holy poo poo they went the full Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

It makes way more sense in that context than it does now though. Also: Revolutionist is a million times better as a name. :colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A little bit of a behind the scenes video of the Whyachi clan... Also a vertical spinner attachment for Hydra...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjCTM8kfQjk

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Their channel continues to have really good battle damage and engineering alike. Anybody asking for this in the main show should check into the Skorpios channel.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

oh jay posted:

I'm not very excited. The battle of two bots much better at receiving than dealing damage.

Get excited for the fight!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well minotaur/endgame was fantastic.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
newest ep haha holy gently caress minotaur is the hype killer

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Also new ep spoilers I truly love Minotaur's team. Also that 2 wheel gyro drive around the arena is pretty bad rear end.

Also gently caress sake Hydra didn't get counted out for the 2:50 he was unable to do more turn in a circle in the center of the arena...

Also for the haters from the previous page, Tantrum and Rotator was probably the most back & forth fight possible...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow, Riptide quickly dismantled Uppercut. That was some amazing driving. You can see in the replays they were landing their shots right where they wanted, just barely off the weapon.

Seemed like Rotator made a mistake by engaging Tantrum while it was crabwalking. Although they did get a few good shots in while it was vulnerable. Always hard to say what the right play is in those situations, but I'd usually say leave the other robot alone when they're about to get counted out.

lol @ Jackpot's minibot trying to right it

Jake Ewert nailed it in his pre-fight interview. Black Dragon made a big mistake with those forks. They never got under Hydra and the forks wound up keeping their weapon away from Hydra.

Good to see Witch Doctor pound a quality opponent. They were catching a ton of poo poo online for having it too easy in the first round.

Pretty much what you'd expect from Sawblaze-P1.

I can see why they didn't want to show this loving trainwreck of a fight between Whiplash and Cobalt. Sucks for Whiplash, but you can definitely look at that as a double KO anyway.

Rules question: I thought a weapon HAD to fail safely to an off position? Is that just not enforced by anything?

OH MY GOD, was Minotaur-End Game the best fight ever? What a display of driving skill.

Pumped for Minotaur-Witch Doctor next week. WD just took apart a worse version of Minotaur, so they might match up better than you'd think.

Blip-Hydra should be interesting. I think Hydra might have the edge just because no one beats it on the ground game.

Something else to look for next week: The battle box is majorly hosed up. It was very noticeable this episode that the low-ground bots kept getting hung up. That might be bad news for bots like Hydra and Sawblaze.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also new ep spoilers
Also gently caress sake Hydra didn't get counted out for the 2:50 he was unable to do more turn in a circle in the center of the arena...

They were capable of it though. They weren't moving around well, but staying in the center and rotating seemed to be part of the strategy. They were taking the easy win since Black Dragon just kept feeding itself into the flipper. But every once in a while they would actually pursue and move forward; it wasn't crabwalking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Rules question: I thought a weapon HAD to fail safely to an off position? Is that just not enforced by anything?

They do but if cobalt is controlling it's weapon with a contactor instead of a speed controller it may have fused together from the power running through it. Gigabyte/Invader had this issue in season 2 or 3 and shut down filming for nearly an hour while the batteries died.