Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You don’t have to be a dad or a mom, and in fact you probably shouldn’t be because you’re a goon and can’t be trusted with that kind of responsibility.

Back in the days when getting caught scrapping would see you get detention and not an expulsion and a story on the nightly news, you'd be meeting me down at the bike racks for a callout of this magnitude

I think fuckin all of my bikes have been dadbikes. The Sherpa was iffy, but the PO put a topcase and a windscreen handcut from plexiglass on it. KLRs are automatically dadbikes, even moreso when you throw a topcase and crash bars and skidplate at them and then rarely take them offroad. Same with the Weestrom, except that had sidecases, and the crash bars actually saved my plastics on numerous occasions because I was bad at walking it around.

And then there's my current dadbike.

I only ever really use the 36l bags for weekend or longer rides but they make the Rex look like a total bargearse. Most of the time it's got the 22s

So yeah it's a big himbo of a UJM. Goes pretty fast, tours ok, commutes well, can hold a bunch of poo poo, and old farts love it because it reminds them of when race bikes looked like this. I've had to tell a few people that "no, it's not that one, this is the one from the 90s they made to look like that one, before everyone got on the retro train".

Also I need to get my leather overpants to a tailor because a seam is splitting down at the ankle, and I actually was thinking about having some suspender hooks added if it's still usable.

gently caress I'm old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If your bike's name or trim level sounds like a gated community it's a dadbike

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pdfs have their upsides, to be sure. If they're fully ocr'ed and searchable and have a table of contents that works on your device's pdf reader app, they're pretty decent to use.

If they're not, imagine trying to scroll through a 3000 page Mazda manual on your phone trying to visually spot the section about suspension, hidden between the 2000 page section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes and the other 1000 pg section on troubleshooting the diagnostic codes, and then go hammer a nail through your foot because that's honestly more fun

Books are always skimmable and you don't have to keep unlocking it when you look away for ten minutes and if you get the page filthy it's not like you use the book in every other aspect of your life too

On the downside, it's a lot tougher to warez a book

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A big mac combo with a drink fits very nicely into the ZRX well without spilling

I can't imagine having a cupholder, how the gently caress do you drink with a fullface?

(lol I tried looking for someone splashing a soda off their visor like a big galoot but instead I found this on the Harley forums

The guy who posted it did say don't drink and ride, but still, lmao)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh ok like five seconds after I posted that I was like, modular, and stoplights

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
DADBIKE- Post your golf swings

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

What's the verdict on the faux-airhawk? I have one of these 3d mesh seat covers for the GS that actually makes a huge difference when it's hot/humid, wouldn't mind having something similar for the other dad bike

The guy I bought my Rex from had something like that on it (universal fit, though). I oughta put it back on, that might help with how water's been pooling around my nuts when it rains

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

Surely all it needs is a topbox and an LED light bar from Amazon.

Paint whatever frame you can find in that shop light stand orangey-yellow and call it a Huge Ruckus

(maybe even a Kerfuffle)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Boss hoss bikes have to be absolutely terrible to ride. They probably tip over when you rev them, the heat would be unbearable and the thing would need a two speed trans with the worlds tallest gearing.

Same for that jet engine bike that jay Leno owns

The only time I've ever seen any being ridden was the one time I ever joined a toy run

(yknow, bring a toy for charity, drive slowly around the city with a shitload of other motorcyclists and bikers)

Can't imagine 10 km/h max with a V8 blaring heat at your nuts was a good time but what do I know.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Incidentally even the heat coming off the Rex's engine, with a conventional exhaust mounting, makes me kinda glad my only pants are leathers. I've ridden in just my jeans a few times and it gets swampy quick.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If they restyled it to look even more like a rideable mechanical sphinx it would solve a lot of my issues with it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I did about 200 miles on the freeway today and drat, the goldwing is just build for soaking up freeway mileage. It’s in the perfect part of the RPM range, the suspension is at its best there, it effortlessly passes traffic in top gear and it’s just all around clearly built for it.

It’s the first bike I’ve owned that has made me love slabbing.

Bonus shot from the little bit of time I spent off the freeway

Last year my elderly indoor cat got outside, and I didn't recognize him at all at first because he's extremely generic looking and "outside" is not the context in which I ever usually see him.

Your Goldwing sitting in that field gives me the exact same feeling as seeing my big old grampa Kitty nosing around my planters.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Old wings and a box of carbs" great now I'm raiding the fridge for my KFC leftovers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a v twin touring machine I think it would be cool

Let me introduce you to a little known brand named *sotto voce* "Harley Davidson"