Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

I'm young enough still that my ideal bike (in my head) is a sport-tourerized literbike.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What impact does the rider make on dadbike? I mean, is every bike this guy gets on a dadbike?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah they introduced it like 5 years ago I think? Maybe longer than that.

For those outside California, black/yellow plates were coveted because it meant the vehicle had always been registered in California and therefore likely didn't have rust/corrosion issues. CalTrans/DOT introduced the option to "buy" a yellow/black plate and everyone was mad.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Less exciting but practical, dad through and through.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Oh boy here comes Slavvy to tell you that torque figures are all bullshit for weenies and you can totally just do it all by feel, and yeah I do have 20 years of experience as a professional mechanic but I don't see how that's relevant

ilu man

The last track day I went to I didn't bring my tools because I was told there would be plenty! There weren't, and I had to adjust my chain. I tightened the rear axle by feel, and nothing went wrong. :unsmith:

Yesterday, I wanted to recheck my chain because after I cleaned it I noticed the rear seemed slightly out of alignment (disc rubbing). Before I loosened the axle, I thought I'd just check it with my torque wrench. I didn't count, but at least 360˚ of rotation before it clicked :smith:

Slavvy posted:

I guess what gets me is the person who made the app in the first place. You have a dr650, you also know how to make an app. Surely, surely if you're that clever it's easier to just learn the DR's foibles by heart than coding an entire app. Or am I severely overestimating apps?

How easy it is to program something really depends on the breadth and maturity of the environment. I don't know about nowadays, but ~15 years ago on macOS you could "develop" a web browser with just a few lines of code. Obviously it was a poo poo browser, but still. I don't know what that DR650 app is, but it's probably fairly trivial to make. I'll caveat that all by saying I am not a software developer.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That has to be worse than a Miata in every meaningful way.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cardo makes a few “duo” kits that include two head sets. They can only connect to one other comm, which is fine if you only ever intend to talk to a passenger. This one is $171.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Which road did you take into Tahoe?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dadbike overload

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0kgfgmFZhk

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

There is an R1200C in my neighborhood and it is hideous and I saw an R18 the other day which is also hideous so I guess I am saying the only good looking BMW is the S1000RR but the prior wingless generation and wings are definitely dad bike so :rip: this thread

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrxee_fazo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

I think my perfect bike would be one of these with the 765. And cruise control. Maybe they'll put the higher power 660 from the new Daytona in it sometime.

The Daytona 660 is ostensibly a sports bike, which are intended to be ridden at full throttle at the top of the rev range. The Daytona 660 makes more peak power, but while comfort cruising down the freeway, the engine tune in the Tiger is going to be more enjoyable. I have not looked a dyno chart to confirm this, but I suspect it is true!! But yeah I think they should sell more bikes with the 765 engine, at least in the US market, where the 660 license tier doesn't exist.

I find the Tiger Sport 660 way more appealing than I care to admit. However, once you add in stuff like the color matched luggage and fog lights (crucial dad bike kit), it's almost as expensive as a GSX-S1000GT+ (and more than a Street Triple with soft luggage).