Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I wonder if anyone knows a good bookbinding service. The book I want bound is rather old -- early 16th century. It is completely unbound at the moment -- only loose pages. I'd like a binding that fits the book's era. Vellum, if at all possible. Price... well, I'm, willing to spend a bit but price is certainly not no object.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dustin.h posted:

I wonder if anyone knows a good bookbinding service. The book I want bound is rather old -- early 16th century. It is completely unbound at the moment -- only loose pages. I'd like a binding that fits the book's era. Vellum, if at all possible. Price... well, I'm, willing to spend a bit but price is certainly not no object.

I really don't mean to be a jack-rear end here, but I suggest you Google for bookbinders in whatever the nearest city/town with one or more universities and/or big libraries/archives/museums is. I don't think there's like a massive national/international book-binding company for that sort of work.

e: Or ask the library (one with old books in its collection). They often don't employ their own binders these days, so they'll probably know a company. I think I should've suggested that first but hey I'm stupid.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 17, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, you'd be looking for someone local. If you're in St. Louis, I recommend Paperbirds, but you probably aren't in St. Louis.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Sorry, I kind of forgot this thread. I've got some very good responses from Ask/Tell and have more or less decided who I'm going to go with (James Reid-Cunningham, who's not very far away in Cambridge, MA).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Another TBB success story. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Another TBB success story. :toot:
Hooray!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Or ask the library (one with old books in its collection). They often don't employ their own binders these days, so they'll probably know a company. I think I should've suggested that first but hey I'm stupid.
I thought of this, but all the libraries I know of don't really stock antiquarian titles (at least not post-incunabulum ones), and those books that they do that have that become damaged, they just discard and get new. None of the prestigious three private colleges really responded to my question. Two not at all, one only to say they didn't rebind books but had a book bindery class and the professor might (or might not) want to use it as an example.

Someone in Ask/Tell sent me a very nice list of from the The Society of Bookbinders that do antiquarian work in the USA and UK and I sent off queries to most of them. Reid-Cunningham came recommended for not only being vaguely local but especially good.

Ortho fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 20, 2021