Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

Ah you're right, but also I absolutely do not think that will happen for any meaningfully large part of the playerbase*. People are going to be hosed up on job and plot speculation for a month easy.

*This is not to throw shade, I'm in plenty of unmeaningfully small parts of the playerbase with some of my wants and concerns. I just also don't think those wants not getting addressed will do more than frazzle a very very small number of people

Yeah, I don't think it would be a major break, though I think it'd probably take up twitter discussion for a day or so, and then they'd move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If the update goes bad, Yoship will just break the emergency glass and release a third benchmark with the butt slider added back in.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

OB_Juan posted:

While people are fishposting - I've never quite gotten that shark mount from fishing. I know you need to use the right bait, but I thought Patience was Definitely the Way. Is there something else I should be doing?

So you want to be an ocean fisher?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/1785958824119259564
Only seeing the tweet on the JP twitter right now (though there's a Lodestone news item for it), but next PLL is May 16 featuring 7.0 job information.
That's 4 AM PDT/7 AM EDT/12 PM GMT.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Well, happy birthday to me,

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hogama posted:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP/status/1785958824119259564
Only seeing the tweet on the JP twitter right now (though there's a Lodestone news item for it), but next PLL is May 16 featuring 7.0 job information.
That's 4 AM PDT/7 AM EDT/12 PM GMT.

Yup. This coincides with the timeline infographic they released during the 14 hour stream.

Yo-Kai Watch - 4/24-6/28
MogTomes 2 - 5/14-6/24
Media Tour; Make It Rain - 5/15-5/31
LFTPL 81 - 5/16
DQX - 6/5-6/20
LFTPL 82 - 6/14
48 Hour Maint - 6/26-6/28
DT EA Start! - 6/28
DT Full Launch - 7/2

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/562d068d08123b648d1fa659242906d71c19064c

also you might want to find another payment method for a bit if you're using a visa card for your sub

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

While people are fishposting - I've never quite gotten that shark mount from fishing. I know you need to use the right bait, but I thought Patience was Definitely the Way. Is there something else I should be doing?
the vast majority of your points will generally come during Spectral windows, ie when the fast music starts playing and the fish come very quickly.

In order to get a ton of points during those, you generally have to know some particular fish you're hunting for. If you have a ton of GP and angler's art stacks you can do crazy combos. Let's say you know a !! bite after 5 seconds has to be the fish you're looking for (I'm just picking a made up example but sometimes timings will be like this during spectrals), if you get the right bite you can Double Hook it, Identical Cast, pop a hi cordial, Prize Catch, use all your AA stacks for more GP, cast, and then Triple Hook the result. In all that you've spent 1650 GP and used all your recovery resources, but you've gotten 11 high-value fish (assuming it's the kind of fish you get 7 of with triple hook) with 7 of them being guaranteed HQ. this will get you drastically more points than just generally catching a bunch of random large fish

Understanding which fish you're looking for and therefore which bait to use can be overwhelming for sure.

e: oh yeah so, the flipside to that is that during the non-spectral times you should pretty much just be trying to accomplish your 3 objectives to get the bonuses to point totals. if you finish those early just hunt spectral fish to trigger a current

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2024

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

OB_Juan posted:

To add on to what Martman said above, I grinded the 3 million points achievement recently and this google doc was my lifeline.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PDVZww9Izu4xo7L8ao6o8Lz3KkbZfW1CDuc-Xs5V0Xs/edit#gid=0

Importantly it lists what you're looking for in each spectral zone, which bait, and the bite times. You can use a macro for bite timing if you're not aware, or you can use GatherBuddy's fishing UI.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mister Olympus posted:

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/562d068d08123b648d1fa659242906d71c19064c

also you might want to find another payment method for a bit if you're using a visa card for your sub

I use a Visa debit card, but I think I should be fine because I think my payments go through Steam, from checking the Mog Station?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
that spreadsheet is the poo poo

i play on controller so i just have it open in a browser window hovering over my xiv client and reference it while ocean fishing

one other tip, you should not in general use GP to finish missions - don't bother with multi-hooks or identical cast most of the time. some missions have hard-to-reach numbers so you'll need to do some double/triple hooking, but try to only do those with fish you'll get 4/7 of.
after a spectral, especially if it was an early spectral, you can be freer with GP. if you've got hi-cordials you just want to make sure that you have it off cooldown a bit after the current area ends, and you want to end having around 200ish GP less than your max. that way you have all your resources for the next area

also if you're not against plugins, GatherBuddy has a lovely display of which fish have bit and when they bit, and it will only show them for the place you're currently fishing in and the bait you're currently using. after you've got enough bites it gives a pretty good indicator of what's biting.

also distant seas is another great ocean fishing plugin, it will let you filter by everything / voyage missions / spectral triggers and can show the bite strength, bite times, and amount you get from a triple hook. it also sorts by points for a triple hook.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

I use a Visa debit card, but I think I should be fine because I think my payments go through Steam, from checking the Mog Station?

My payment goes through tomorrow, I'm leaving on a trip today. Gonna duck into my house real quick and then deal with whatever's going on when I get back.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im glad I bought a years sub like a month ago lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's one thing I don't understand in that spreadsheet. If I look at the first part of the Bloodbrine route, for example, it says to use Triple Hook for literally everything during the Spectral period.

Is the spreadsheet just listing "the only things you should bother to catch," or are (in this example) those 4 fish the only fish catchable during the spectral period?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

There's one thing I don't understand in that spreadsheet. If I look at the first part of the Bloodbrine route, for example, it says to use Triple Hook for literally everything during the Spectral period.

Is the spreadsheet just listing "the only things you should bother to catch," or are (in this example) those 4 fish the only fish catchable during the spectral period?

Bloodbrine spectral has 10 different fish, those 4 are the ones you want to catch for points

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
So that first bloodbrine stop is a bit weird because there's no "great" IC-TH fish, they're all just okay. So what he suggests to do there is use PC, and then TH those fish if you get those bites + times (if I remember correctly it ends up being TH anything 7+), and to not hook anything else to preserve PC.

The second stop on that route is a little bit more typical, the fish highlighted in Red are the really big point fish, so you want to do one of the "combos" he has listed there (either Blind Fish or Identical Fish). Truthfully I personally didn't follow that rule exactly, most of the time I would either DH or TH the initial catch if you can isolate it (and also depending on my AA stacks + if my pot is up), and then IC + PC + TH the fish again.

Real point hunters will tell you to never use IC but I didn't do that either.

EDIT: In general as well, the notes on the right would tell you a reason to catch the fish. As a general rule of thumb, the top red fish is the "best" fish but if you're getting late into the spec you can go for a consolation fish. I personally had a shout macro that would measure spectral times for myself and the rest of the boat, because I used gatherbuddy for cast times so I didn't need a cast time macro.

But as an example, on bloodbrine, on the first stop one of the fish is a crab, so if you wanted to wait to get that specific fish for the crab mission, then go for it. FYI, the first two missions on every route are set, and the last mission is one of !, !!, and !!! missions that are also set per route, and the entire boat gets the same last mission.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 2, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do people deal with the time aspect? That seems like a pain to keep track of.

What's the general "decision tree" when someone is doing this? Like let's say I'm on the second phase of the Bloodbrine route ("Northern Strait of Merlthor"). Given the bait aspect, do I want to choose a desired fish from the list (based upon the missions) and just hope I get it (or do Mooch stuff if necessary)? And the same for the Spectral period, only now I'm executing the relevant combo if I get it?

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I can give you the general strategy I developed while I was grinding the cheevo, but honestly I think some of it is just doing it and getting used to what its like

Outside of spectral:
- Choose the bait for the spectral fish
- Only hook things if they are relevant to a mission or are the spectral fish
- PC if I'm going to cap on GP
- If I have 9 AA stacks, chum if I'm going to cap on GP
- If my missions are done and I'm going to cap on GP, SS something and then only go for the spectral fish

One additional thing you can do in the first zone is to start by using Patience I for AA stacks. I flipped back and forth on this since Patience 1 seems to be about 50% HQ and you can proabbly get 3 catches in the time, so every now and again you get 2-3 AA stacks which is more than the one you would've gotten with PC
(I also personally ignored the "mooch if available" text on spreadsheet outside of spectrals)

Some small hints, if you don't have PC or SS up you can put away your rod and re-cast if you catch an irrelevant fish. If you have PC or SS up, let the fish get away if its not a relevant catch

Inside Spectral:
- Pick the bait for the highest value fish
- Do one of the combos if you catch it
- Hook everything since its faster than letting it get away

Post spectral:
- Choose bait for missions and focus on building up AA/finishing missions

Spectral timing is as follows:
- Spectrals always end at 0:30 left on the clock
- Spectrals will be two minutes unless the previous zone didn't have a spcetral, in which case its 3 minutes
- If the previous zone had a spectral that was cut off by the :30 timer, then any additional time that "would" have been in that spec will be added to the current spec

Once I get to about 0:30 - 1:00 left in the spec, if I still haven't caught the best fish possible, I will take one of the consolation prize fish.

If you get to 1:30 in the zone left and the spec hasn't triggered yet, it won't trigger at all. At this point I will try to TH a mission fish (or PC-TH to build up AA if I need to) to use my pot timer

You also generate GP during the cutscene, if I remember correctly its about 250-350 GP? So I try to go into the cutscene using something that uses some GP (like PC for an AA stack or whatever)

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 2, 2024

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'm a dirty cheater who uses the plugin that automatically adds the time windows for fish as you catch them to easily know what you're (most likely) catching and it's amazing. Lists all the baits and chains and weathers needed and all that to make it not rear end.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

After many hours of slogging through duties, fates etc I finally unlocked the final form of my HW Dragoon weapon .

And I wish I hadn't. It baffles me how this is a step backwards in terms of losing all the special glowy and particle effects from the middle stage.

I just came here to say how heartbroken I am right now. I feel totally, utterly slapped in the face by a clown jester. I want my glow back but I know it ain't happening....

Edit: It's apparent that there are many in this community who don't appreciate me sharing my thoughts and feelings on this matter. Some of your replies are totally uncalled for and does not represent what this community values. If I can see that, then the rest of you should as well.

Correction the weapon I am referring to is "Rhongomiant"

Edit 2: thank you to the community members who pointes out I hadn't yet got to the final stage of the relic.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Triple Hook makes chasing ocean fishing scores so much loving easier.

Back in my day, we only had double hook! Getting above even 15k points required actual skill! 20k points was an extreme rarity.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Martman posted:

After many hours of slogging through duties, fates etc I finally unlocked the final form of my HW Dragoon weapon .

And I wish I hadn't. It baffles me how this is a step backwards in terms of losing all the special glowy and particle effects from the middle stage.

I just came here to say how heartbroken I am right now. I feel totally, utterly slapped in the face by a clown jester. I want my glow back but I know it ain't happening....

Edit: It's apparent that there are many in this community who don't appreciate me sharing my thoughts and feelings on this matter. Some of your replies are totally uncalled for and does not represent what this community values. If I can see that, then the rest of you should as well.

Correction the weapon I am referring to is "Rhongomiant"

Edit 2: thank you to the community members who pointes out I hadn't yet got to the final stage of the relic.

For a second I though I was looking at the ShitpostXIV subreddit...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Haven't been following anything about this. What was the issue with the original benchmark?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mostly lighting but also some dissatisfaction with some character creator changes.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

SirPhoebos posted:

Haven't been following anything about this. What was the issue with the original benchmark?

1. Character creator lighting is very old and poor quality, and this became very obvious when it made a lot of the fancy new benchmark textures look a bit poo poo.

2. Even outside character creator there were some issues with textures for certain races that made them look a bit wrong.

Yoships blog post gives more detail about the issues.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

SirPhoebos posted:

The character creator was using a special lighting system they made just for that part of the game and not the new system making stuff look wonky, some textures weren't rendering in HD, some mouths weren't scaling like they were supposed to, and some of the environments were stuck on weather that made your character look wet and glossy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is actually immensely helpful, just for getting a clear idea of what you actually do.

I guess I should wait until my Fishing is capped. I'm 82 right now. Don't think I have TH yet.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ytlaya posted:

This is actually immensely helpful, just for getting a clear idea of what you actually do.

I guess I should wait until my Fishing is capped. I'm 82 right now. Don't think I have TH yet.

I wouldn't wait, because Ocean Fishing is also an amazing source of XP for Fisher, so you'll get to 90 quickly even if your scores aren't amazing. There are also several achievements for cumulative score, one of which gives a minion and one of which gives the World-Class Troller title, so no run is wasted.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Probably should focus on getting the Yo-Kai first and then probably try either getting all of the weapons if I'm a crazy person or be realistic and focus on the weapons that I want to get.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Getting all the weapons is still perfectly feasible if you have a little tolerance for FATE-grinding. You still have two months!

My strategy has been to buy a few minions at a time, earn their weapons, and buy new minions when I cash in my weapon medals. It helps me keep track of what I have and haven't done without needing to check the achievement log.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Antivehicular posted:

Getting all the weapons is still perfectly feasible if you have a little tolerance for FATE-grinding. You still have two months!

My strategy has been to buy a few minions at a time, earn their weapons, and buy new minions when I cash in my weapon medals. It helps me keep track of what I have and haven't done without needing to check the achievement log.

Wait you can get regulars and legendaries at the same time?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Alxprit posted:

yes, you get regulars as long as you have the watch on and you get legendaries as long as you have the pet out and are in the right zone

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pyro Jack posted:

Probably should focus on getting the Yo-Kai first and then probably try either getting all of the weapons if I'm a crazy person or be realistic and focus on the weapons that I want to get.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, people over-sell the grind. It is a grind, don't get me wrong, but it's not at all outrageous. I did the first 4 weapons in about 3.5 hours of watching a stream, so I'm guessing it'll be about 12-15 hours to get the rest (barring extremely bad luck), which I have nearly two months to do. There's much worse grinds out there.

Alxprit posted:

You can, though it's not much of a help. I had all of the medals for my minions by the time I finished my second weapon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, if you just have the watch on, you'll accumulate more than enough regular medals for all the minions within a few weapon grinds, since the minion medals are guaranteed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Well, I might as well double-task while I still can, then.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mister Olympus posted:

dead game bozja 2 minute homogenization meaningful stats job customization blue mage

Thanks, I hate this post so much!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Ytlaya posted:

How do people deal with the time aspect? That seems like a pain to keep track of.

What's the general "decision tree" when someone is doing this? Like let's say I'm on the second phase of the Bloodbrine route ("Northern Strait of Merlthor"). Given the bait aspect, do I want to choose a desired fish from the list (based upon the missions) and just hope I get it (or do Mooch stuff if necessary)? And the same for the Spectral period, only now I'm executing the relevant combo if I get it?

Chewy got it covered but pick a bait for the thing you want. The baits that aren't the best for spectral mean there's less of a chance you'll get the spectral fish to bite (vs any other fish), but if you're behind on missions going into the 2nd area you might prioritize those and hope RNG works out for you or someone else to get a speccy anyway. You probably won't be too behind though, unless you caught few or none of the type of fish or bite strengths in the first area.

The biggest trick is to simply not catch everything. If you get a bite, and you know it's not something you want (!! when only ! is needed for missions or fish types, an early bite when you need a late bite), just hang out. If you're fast you can cancel and recast but I usually just wait for the line to pull up on its own because it's not that much faster. The animation for losing a fish is 2-5x faster than hooking a fish (it's rng how long hooking takes).

You can also surface slap a fish you don't care about to make the potential bites narrow - this is mostly useful if you're done with missions and either spectral hunting or post-spectral when you're targeting specific fish, otherwise it costs a lot of GP to keep a slap active. Taking one common fish out of the bite roll means other fish bite more and can help you out.

However, in a spectral you want to catch everything unless you have prize catch up. There's no difference in speed between hooking and waiting in a spectral, so the only reason you'd let a bite go is if you were trying to PC a specific fish. Which is an option I sometimes take, but it's one of those high-risk/high-reward tradeoffs - you might never get an appropriate bite, so you're burning time waiting and you'll figure out your tolerance for that over time. Due to all this I don't think Surface Slap is ever worth spending GP on during spectrals.

Also, while the spreadsheet mentions "mooch when available," as Chewy said you probably don't actually want to do that most times before the spectral. More than likely it's going to proc an intuition, which is the short-term buff that some rarer fish need to be caught. While some intuition fish need a different bait than you'd be using, many do not, and having intuition active can mean the intuition fish can now bite. This is good if you haven't caught it before, or if your missions are done and the spectral is over, or if the spectral is over and you still need a !!! for a mission.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

parasyte posted:

The animation for losing a fish is 2-5x faster than hooking a fish (it's rng how long hooking takes).
I don't think this is true. outside of spectrals your hook animation/time is entirely based on whether it's a !/!!/!!! fish (except I think for the very rare Legendaries that are !!! but considered very small)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Oh drat, Dawntrail is when the graphics update is going in isn't it?

Too bad I use a Visa debit card and am probably going to miss DT launch because I highly doubt SE will get their payment processor issues figured out before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How are they so bad at taking people's money