Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Professor Beetus posted:

As someone whose trying to make it to zones 5 and 6 without spoilers due to how I see goons hyping it up, can anyone tell me without spoilers why it's so :holkyfuck: for people? I feel like based on the goon reactions so far I'm going to go into it with the same kinds of unrealistic expectations that Marvel fans have going into the Spider-Man.

Not even a little bit no. It would spoil massive swathes of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I realized that there is in-game "proof" that the Warrior of Light is not a man. If the WoL - silent and stoic as they are known to be - was a man, then it does not make sense for Alphinaud to form a unique "big brother" relationship with Estinien. WoL as a sort of "big sister" figure to the twins just feels like it fits more.

Speaking of Estinien, (not sure why I'm spoiling this, very early non-Endwalker content) I've been leveling up Dragoon and was very surprised to see that Estinien shows up in the ARR Dragoon job quests. I think these might be some of the only quests that directly require the interpretation of "going back in time" to do them - usually you can sort of fit the job quests into any time slot in the story.

Please don’t be weird.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s really not an issue of competence. There is, physically, no solution in the current market conditions. Couple that with their biggest competitor imploding over the summer and sending their refugees here and well

It is what it is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Spudd posted:

I would pay money to opt out of doing the Stormblood raids ever again

The game is worse for your presence.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dark Knight AF set this go round is incredible with one flaw:

It has such good texture work/is so detailed that it doesn’t mix and match with anything but itself. Other pieces stick out like a sore thumb mixed with it for comparative lack of detail.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

all mogstation emotes and outfits should be account-wide, what is squenix doing

/pizza is not a mogstation emote. Not that that changes the overall principle, but yeah.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

How… anime :crossarms:

Yeah Rietty always does annoyingly horny chibis of their OCs in these spreadsheets and I'm like "buddy I'm here for the number crunching".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Honestly? Checks out, I leveled miner from 81 to 90 in a day with only 6 leves. Between that and Ishgard Restoration for faster lower-level levelling getting crafters and gatherers at 90 is easy. Although it's probably slower once you finish all Studium quests since they're a good chunk of EXP.

Also holy moly the MIN/BTN Studium capstone. Hinageshi totally planned everything out to bait him into proposing, I know it.

The fukken gimme that ring snatch lmaooooo

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I don't know jack poo poo about these places but I trust the YoshiP ship to take me wherever it so pleases

How do you not know jack poo poo about Meracydia at this stage

Gelmorra I understand tho

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I hope we don't go to Meracydia just because I don't want another dragon expansion.

Well good news there's this group called the Allagan that got rid of all of those!

You might say they even implemented a Final Solution to your problem!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

Discussing the 87 spoilers above, I really was floored that the universe was apparently just that bleak. Like fuuuuuck, everywhere else in the galaxy/universe just dead except for Etheryis? jfc

also lmao that he sent her out with that question rather than perhaps something more reasonable like "is there other life in the universe?" I think the original inhabitants of Etheryis were just kinda dumbasses tbh.

Despite Emet's talk of Amaurot being a glorious perfect society of enlightened philosophers what they really were was something less flattering:

Literal goddamn children. Emotionally stunted and completely unprepared.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That would be both narratively unsatisfying and very very stupid given what happened last time he was left to walk around and tried to get you attention.

He's much like the primals, you can't just let them sit around because they do damage by their very nature.

Basically what you want would be a bad story both from a textual and meta textual point of view

Moreover, Zenos is metatextually your chance for genuine roleplaying. Do you like the guy and basically agree with him? Say it. Do you not give a poo poo and want to put him down like a rabid dog? Say it.

This is your chance to essentially state your WoLs thesis statement and answer Venat’s question. And Meteion’s.

In short even as someone who was really omega tired of Zenos pre-EW launch I thought he was utilized pretty effectively.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah you have a very bad read in general.

This is generally not a new Cythereal thing.

Once people, or cultures, in a story do a Bad Thing and become categorized as Bad People by Cythereal they will spend the rest of the story wishing nothing but painful death on them and basically refuse to engage with the basic humanity of those people and/or the human motivations behind those Bad Things. So any attempts by the story to humanize or empathize with those people or cultures is gonna go over like a lead balloon. Which is ironically a trait they have in common with several villains in this story but what can ya do!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

Endwalker tells you, directly and in clear words, exactly who the writers think the Warrior of Light is. They do this through the descriptions we get of Azem. How "incorrigible" they are. How often they charge headlong into danger for pretty much any reason they can think of. The joy they take in adventure for adventure's sake. The thrill they feel from danger and risk. And, of course, their ease of making friends, making people care about them, even someone like Emet-Selch, who will roll his eyes and look exasperated but will always come to help if called anyway. Sure, the Warrior of Light is a different person from Azem, but you still remind the people who knew Azem of them, very strongly, and not just because of your shared soul. There's just something about that soul where they're Like This in any incarnation.

If you don't see your character in similar terms, it's easy to see how some of the story beats in Endwalker, particularly around Zenos and his whole arc, might feel really off to you. For me, it worked beautifully, though.

Disagreed in some of the details but not in most of the conclusion.

They deliberately leave extremely open the why of both Azem and the WoLs actions. Yes they clearly seek out new challenges and great danger, but is that a function of loving adventure for adventure's sake or a function of caring about people and their wellbeing demanding some pretty wild poo poo from a super compassionate person in this world? You are given the opportunity to answer that question at the very finale of the game for a reason! There is no singular answer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno because like... I see a lot of that in my WoL but I still don't buy the "you and I are basically the same" poo poo that Zenos loves to throw around. I feel like they stuck the landing as well as they could've with regards to my feelings on the character minus the "don't dangle agency in front of me if you're not going to give me the chance to take it" bit, but I don't think I'm ever going to buy that line of thought.

I'm not enough of a hater to admit him Kool-Aid Man-ing his way into Ultima Thule and being like "hey bro, what's taking so long, it's just despair this should be your specialty" was delightful, though. Unabashedly and without reservation, probably the best Zenos narrative beat they've written.

You don't buy it because the game is completely cool with you not buying it and repeatedly offers alternative thesis options. That's the point of the finale. You can agree with him, you can basically ignore his speech and see dealing with him as a point of duty, or you can frame the WoL as motivated by compassion. Either of the three option's is consistent with the WoLs characterization thus far.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The final trial of EW is probably the easiest of the expansion. Now trial 2, trial 2 destroys pug groups to a comical degree.

ImpAtom posted:

It is not a writing flaw that the game assumes you did not hate the gameplay of the game you put 200+ hours in.

SurprisedPikachu.jpg

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MechaX posted:

the unsundered version of the WoL jumped into an active volcano to save some grapes and I felt that kinda checked out. The sundered version of the WoL for me hours ago did poo poo like throwing sleep bombs to subdue feral books just for the sake of helping a random passerby. And me, the player is up at 3am on a Monday before work playing a video game that I have spent several thousand hours in since 2013. For me personally, I was 1:1 there with my WoL; the first option was the only choice for me.

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Because multiple other characters confirm it was for exactly that reason? Like it is stated onscreen. You even have a dialog option to confirm it.

"If I recall correctly," he began at length, with the air of one about to reveal a grave truth, "the grapes grown on that isle are particularly delicious. Or so Azem said. They must be truly remarkable."

"Indeed." I couldn't bring myself to shatter his faith. I did, however, vow to treat my "friends" to a lecture on priorities.

Blissfully ignorant of my misgivings, the young man smiled to himself again, and bade me farewell. As he wandered away, I swore I heard him murmur something about Azem's "ever refreshing perspective."

The text is blatantly making fun of Elidibus for believing this is the actual reason. You get an opportunity to make a "haha funny callback" dialogue option on your Sundered Self. At no point are we meant to believe that "grapes" is the actual reason, it is a catty way of keeping their motivations ambiguous with a tongue in cheek answer to avoid defining a character that is closely related to the protagonist.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There are characters in a specific zone who bring it up. like in Ellis there are multiple references to the grapes as a sign of how incourragable Azem is. Regardless of the short story people treat it as a valid interpretation of Azem behavior

Yes, they repeat the story given to Elidibus. Why would they not? Calling Azem incorrigible means nothing. Venat is also incorrigible by Ancient standards and she is motivated wholly by compassion.

Being incorrigible by Ancient standards basically means "caring too much about stuff".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not certain this is true; the locking device sealing away Shinryu had a very distinctive "Omega" emblem that is different from the usual Allagan look. It was more Omicron than Allagan. I can't remember anything about them getting something from Azys La, though I do remember Zenos referring to Omega as an Allagan hound (Omega raid spoilers: understandable, since most people think that Omega is Allagan tech, it's not until later that it's revealed that they merely repurposed it).

Magil is correct here. The fight was not a standstill of any kind. Omega won, did their dungbeetle rolly ball thing, but at great cost to its own structural integrity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Whenever Puddingway isn't on screen, the other characters should be asking "where's Puddingway?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Making a called shot here

Almost every relic set has some connections to R-A-H and we're finally actually there so this time......they're all going to be made by the Eorzea guilds. that's right, all those losers are coming in to make the biggest best weapon for you.

Get bonus cutscenes based on how far you've done the questlines

I have a pretty good idea what’s going to go down in the relic quest this go around. Given that the past two relics have been based off of the Eureka model of content, and how popular both Eureka and Bozja have been, we can reasonably guess that we are getting more of that and that relic will be attached once more.

So what region do we know that could plausibly serve as a wide open area with a bunch of fights that also expands on the lore/tucks away dangling plot threads from Endwalker?

87ish spoilers ahead
Locus Amoenus aka Corvos. It’s the Garlean homeland, it’s full of Allagan bullshit for the relic, it was the area absolutely trucked by the Final Days and thus likely still absolutely full of Blasphemies which serves as a narrative justification for the gameplay convention of skirmishes/CEs/etc. It has it all.

The place comes up absolutely constantly in Endwalker. G’raha is even from the place! It’s probably not a coincidence.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 21, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ascian souls are still just aether. Nothing shields them from getting absorbed by a dragon's eye and then consumed. In his case, his aether was exhausted creating Shinryu and destroyed by Estinian post-menagerie.

Which is precisely what was happening to Elidibus, we just expedited the process

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

my political hot take is that garlemald isnt a metaphor for nazi germany but a metaphor for modern day israel. scared?

That should not be a hot take because it matches much much better and I said as much in the other thread :colbert:

The Garleans are a legitimately victimized ethnic group driven from their ancestral homeland of goddamn near a thousand years ago who have internalized a might makes right mentality and believe they can only defend themselves from the same victimization via aggressive imperialism.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I think trash raids need to come back. Ever since Stormblood the raids have been nothing more than glorified Trials.

What you're looking for is Bozja.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

Pandemonium 4 is the new best normal raid. really fun mechanics, good aesthetic, lots to do while still being very intuitive

I think I'm in the outlier group in that I mostly found Pandaemonium kind of dull outside of fight 3.

Solid B- raid. Thoroughly adequate, more interesting for the foundations it sets for future stories than anything it does in itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Reaper is a lot like Stormblood era Samurai where it's just much much slicker than it's direct competition.

Job good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Use your barrier, either Magic Barrier for RDM, manaward for BLM, or Radiant Aegis for Summoner. It's suppose to be turbo skin of your teeth.

…It is????

I went in there with AF gear and a smattering of level 89 dungeon accessories and didn’t seem to take any noteworthy damage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Red Mage is basically the same except it's AoE rotation doesn't suck now.

It's a good time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

Anyone know if it's safe to throw away Endwalker job gear? Like can you just pick it up from the vendor or the Calamity Salvager again

Yeah as long as you're comfortable spiting

TATARU'S HARD WORK YOU MONSTER

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ironslave posted:

Given we live in the world and times we do, I get why you might not want to extend any amount of understanding or even think it's in good taste, but FFXIV does often grapple with histories of colonization and imperialism and--more importantly--the tolls they take upon the occupied. Fordola and her squad have grown up in an occupied Ala Mhigo and been subject to abuse from their supposed countrymen for the knees their parents bent, and from the Garleans for supposedly being lesser while also being raised in an environment assuredly rife with Imperial propaganda. They created the Crania Lupi to try and earn standing, believing Ala Mhigo would never be free and that they could ultimately earn respect for themselves and their country.

The game is not asking you to forgive her, but to understand that this is what imperialism does, that it is one of the way it breaks individuals and whole peoples. Not to excuse her actions, but to understand that she was a victim of the occupation too.

And unfortunately, these actions are understandable. Not right! But understandable.

Ala Mhigan liberation is and was a moonshot and everyone knew that. It took all of Eorzea and most of Othard getting their poo poo together to pull it off and even then might not have succeeded without the imperial governor Actively Not GIving A poo poo to the point of sabotage.

Why WOULD anyone bank on that implausible scenario happening when the price of failure is so very high?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I'll never forgive Lyse for punching my husbando in the face. That's my face to punch.

The Namazu in Kugane???

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

blatman posted:

so here's the thing with raha according to the final fantasy wiki:

from this we can conclude that graha tia's a socially awkward nerd, trying to form his very own harem with you in it

Tell us more about how culture is biologically determined

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

blatman posted:

those posts own actually because I can't tell if they're serious or if they're the same level of shitpost that mine was

I want to know G’raha Tia’s haplogroup

Go full Measurehead on me

Who is the ham sandwich

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

no I'm saying the exact opposite absolute positioning is the devil control your drat camera

Cluttering the battlefield with meaningless waymarks for absolute positioning degenerates is a mark of how far we've fallen :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The absolute flanderization of Emmanellain in Endwalker is the one thing that sucks rear end in an otherwise stellar expansion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eureka had better zone design and Baldesion Arsenal but the moment to moment gameplay in Bozja was a cut above by far.

Eureka was more memorable but Bozja was more fun. Neither quite hit the mark imo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CJ posted:

Was Bozja a victim of Covid cuts? The ending makes it feel like there should be another chapter.

In a way. Bozja's ending seems to imply plans changed somewhere along the way. It seems set up for a final chapter in Dalmasca, but then the notes hastily cut that off and Matsuno parted ways with the FF14 team. I dunno if we'll ever know precisely what happened there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

stev posted:

I just hope it doesn't mean they cancelled plans for a similar zone/mechanic in EW. The endgame needs something like that to keep it going for two years.

Or someone made the decision to cut any planned Garlemald content since that side of the story is supposed to be resolved. Maybe they thought it would take the wind out of EW's sails if the rogue legions are still doing their thing.

Both Bozja and Eureka were wildly successful. I would be very surprised if they didn’t do something similar even if Matsuno and Dalmasca aren’t going to be part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What I'm getting is that people who hated Eureka are absolutely terrified of interacting with another human being because yeah the experience even live was "join a NM train, rake in the xp and profit". It was exactly as brainless as Bozja.

Bozja has better overall gameplay for the moment to moment but the highs were way higher in Eureka.