Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I hear you guys like to hear sprouts experience this game. I got into it about 3 months ago, nearly 4 now, and have been taking my sweet time soaking in all content. Get to a cap, do every blue check mark, repeat. I feel genuinely embarrassed that I was enduring BFA and Shadowlands 3 years ago when I could've been deep into this game instead. I cleared 4.0 at the start of April and have been taking it easy, enjoying the new PVP a lot and just hitting those blues again, yet to start 4.x.

So my gut check moments in a big SPOILERS stream of consciousness from start of game to 4.x: The end of ARR and knowing the game had me in its clutches forever, uhh pretty much 100% of Heavensward what a good expac, my eyes getting kinda moist at the end of Sam 50-60 class quest especially since I was laughing and enjoying most of it but then MASTER NOOOOOOOO, had a chuckle that Stormblood kinda teased you going to Ala Mhigo and then went to where we really wanted to go but the trip back was actually pretty good, pouring one out for my man Gosetsu at the end of Doma Castle and then cleaning the puddle up after beating Shinryuu, the Xaela are the cool kids club and I'm glad I rolled one and the wait until the Steppes was worth it, unironically liking Zenos and especially liking Fordola, and GOD drat I love the Empire aesthetic and personalities, this is peak FF fanboy stuff. Nero's the best character, Omega chain rules, Nero and Cid's excellent adventure rules, Gaeus was pretty respectable, etc. Hildibrand is the best quest lines in any MMO ever made.

Everybody says "get to Shadowbringer it's fantastic" and I believe them but I'm loving the hell out all the content and will get there in due time. Oh also the least spoiled spoilers of all: I wish I could've won the first housing lotto, I can afford a small but lol I can't think about it too much or I'll get sad, if it happens it happens like playing a lotto ticket once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleared the Omega raid tier and why do I pity this poor machine so much, also Alpha is a brave and strong boy. Nero still best character.

Ivalice raid bosses are lit, did the 2nd raid. Pushing MSQ and 4.Hildy now. I'm omnicrafter 75 help I can't stop.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's a lot of logic to FLs and they're surprisingly close to WoW BGs but a lot of it is built up as muscle memory by playing repeatedly.

Learning observation is incredibly important to avoid being overrun or pinched, etc. But you're also at the mercy of RNG, since your team may be full of a critical mass more of dummies, pvp sprouts or the worst: sulks on death. There's also a big element to focusing down targets of opportunity to build battle high across your side and ruin the enemy's momentum. I've seen many losing FLs recover on the strength of picking smart fights.

I've definitely gone from total confusion and a feeling of uselessness to regular top 5-10 damage with meaningful damage done and K/D ratio as far as my solo contribution.

Above all else: Sprint is the best defensive cooldown.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Filthy Haiku posted:

I blew through all the way to gold, but I honestly can't imagine taking it all the way to crystal; the low HP is reallllllll bad. A coordinated team can kill you with a stun and an imp.

My favorite part of playing MCH in FL is seeing a lower than average HP class with my LB up. Just straight up "time for a break, kiddo" jackass play. 41k with Battle High 4 or 5 or getting a mortar tic is cruelty itself.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Finally finished Omega(great), Ivalice(great) and Hilidbrand 4.0(incredible), as well as all optional dungeons and a bunch of crafting and pvp and /egg holiday and Maiden's Drip. I guess there is more MSQ??? Time to start 4.1!

THE MAN

THE MYTH

THE LEGEND

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Trying new classes on pvp! I feel like I understand what to do with BRD but my damage is always low overall. Assists are very high, kills are decent, have no problem slapping out of position people, whenever melee dive I greet them with a slap and a silence. Am I being too cautious with my focused shooting for consistent output or is "no big gently caress off damage LB but loads of passive aura support" just going to lead to a feeling of lowish damage?

Conversely SCH reminds me of my spirit animal from WoW PvP, Afflock, and even if it's in FL getting the big damage number makes my soul warm. I could probably use pointers here though it's very, very intuitive.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the advice fantasy friends I will work on more consistent pressure and be the best murderer I can be.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks, this is really great stuff. Went with BRD over SCH for some after work pvp FL and being much more aggressive is pushing my damage up while getting across to me that yeah, bards are really vicious yet surprisingly safe pokers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Seconding BRD good chat. Actually picked Ranked on CC and the never ending consistent damage is real nice. My problem was definitely lack of aggression earlier, BRD can disengage so casually.

Did have some truly depressing FLs to end the night though. Being a support gunner and the bulk of your team suiciding into pinches and then sulking and avoiding fights is a special kind of hell.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I had the most fun as a raid officer in WoW browsing parses specifically so I could offer advice and coaching to anyone low, or just gift them enchantments they were missing. :shobon: Seeing people improve made my week the next lockout. I also like when I see people new to a type of MMO gameplay and can give them the basics on tanking or something.

Pushed to 4.2 and lmao this game, surprise here's another super cool optional set of raid fights. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleared 4.2 and The Burn, stream of thoughts:

Four Lords ruled, they played me like a drat fiddle, I shouted NOOOOO when Broroban sacrificed himself.

Real good build up and pay off for Asahi calling you savior of the savages and my character looking at him like he just slapped me with his glove. I'm a tiny au ra gal and we see eye to eye, I wonder how this plays out with lalafell or roe with this little fucker going full aggro.

Me, an idiot: A played straight amnesia plot? Come on now. I am far too sophisticated for this old trope.

Me, an idiot, eyes wet much later: As the thread said this game really makes you feel bad for homicidal psychopaths.

When the crystal coffins opened I said OH gently caress out loud, story good at pulling you in, the ride is wonderful. You know a story has you when you get shocked or plead with your monitor due to the events happening on-screen.

Fighting Tsukiyomi hype levels: 150%
Suffering Phase Begins: 200%
Post-Suffering Meaner/Faster Mechanics: 250%
SPIRIT OF GOSETSU RUSHES SPIRIT OF ZENOS: 1000% HYPE

He's the best character and I can't wait to bump into him later in some 5.0 or 6.0 post patch aaaaaaaaa

loving Hien showing up with his atomic dead pan jokes that make me laugh every time. "All of them?" "It would seem you have prevailed." BRO IM TRYING NOT TO WEEP AND YOU WALK UP AND HIT ME WITH THAT OVER TWO PLOT CRITICAL CORPSES LMAO, I love this brash young lord.

I loved my character looking at Asahi like Hank Hill about to kick Dale's rear end. I really loved him getting his, too!

And heeeeey super hype at the twists for Zenos' body and Ascians doing anything interesting! Speaking of shouted "Blue Alisaie what the gently caress" when dude volunteered to go to Garlemald. Story is real good at shaking things up since the days of ARR!

Video game good. Just a few more post patch storylines to go and apparently they get better and never stop getting better? Licking my lips and wiggling my fingers at the succulent feast before me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hydaelyn's Tits I'm in hysterics! :laffo:

They think of everything, I love it. I always wonder how the camera moves for others when it pans to the side and down slightly for my 4'9" rear end.

With the roe it looks like he's trying to tell his mom he will be staying up until 11 tonight. :smug:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 12, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Look, as a lalafell I don't like it when people bring up my height.

It's not like you'll be bringing much else upwards.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Scholar is a lot of fun if you have support brain without a lot of "insanely good" or "critical reflexes" or "very aware", as just being very diligent about using your stuff around your party(heal anybody, spread it) and DoTs on crowds(poke in, DoT, spread, immediately dip out) doesn't require an ounce of big 1v1 thought and tips the scales. +10% damage on your guys, -10% damage on theirs, constant health/mp drain. You can have a lot of impact while learning meta actions(i.e. when to fall back, when to be aware you're about to be overrun or pinched, etc), you get to cheat and take top damage in most FL maps if you're consistent on DoTing on cooldown, and you do have a boatload of impact even if it's unseen.

4k shield + -10% damage done by enemy + defensive measures percentages + a well placed LB can save a lot of people from the dreaded 100-to-0 burst. Definitely a better feeling of slumming and farming in FL than CC though but either way you don't need amazing gamer skills. You can often just heal yourself, position well and spread and the LB is a very generous circle that casts spells outside the initial AoE graphic.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I notice nobody contests Dancer being at the bottom, that class trained me like Pavlov's Dog to avoid it. All the downsides of Bard, twice the work, half the impact. And a LB that trains everyone to focus you to 0 immediately for low impact CC.. oof. I guess the fantasy and theme is cool but that's it.

What's the game plan for pvp Ast?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A Moose posted:

Just hang out giving incremental advantages to your team. Macrocosmos does damage in an AoE, puts a buff on your nearby teammates that stores damage they take, and then you pop it again for a heal based on the stored damage. Use your cards on cooldown. Using double cast correctly is the hardest part. If someone is getting focused, your heal + double cast is a big heal + shield, Gravity is a small AoE heavy, but the doublecast is a snare. if you have to use doublecast on Malefic, it at least refunds part of the cooldown, but you don't do very much damage.

LB reduces damage your enemies deal, increases damage your teammates deal, also the spell effect is huge and flashy and can distract people.

The longer you live, the more your team wins, because you're just constantly throwing out heals, making LBs come up faster, buffing your teammates. You're not usually a high priority target like WHM so you don't get focused a lot.

Many thanks, friend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

FL is good for when I want to pvp but also don't want to feel super responsible for playing like a pro gamer. Also learning button flow/class rhythm.

"Just use the casual CC queue" hahaha what's it like to be normal, you bastard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

".. verily, and the duck wouldst invoke that greatest of powers, beyond even the ken of Bahamut and destruction wrought by Dalamud. For he is a thaumaturge without equal and by his will he doth call upon zettaflare in his time of need."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ctrl + U, check estate tabs and click on it, tells you ward and lot. Very important so I can minimize my time spent doing a resentful walk of shame to get my bid back.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PvP already feels great and is probably more popular than it has ever been. Everybody has a really cool imbalanced club to swing, which much like the Marvel vs Capcom school of design magically balances out(mostly.) MCH already has head shot and classes like MNK and NIN that can press a dopamine release button and delete their foe. If people are dropping pvp because they can't get their little wins they likely aren't learning simple macro, 1/8 into a death ball and complain about their team.

The only bad imbalance I've felt is that maybe Ninja shouldn't be a better ranged than every physical ranged class. At least give Dancer 20 yards.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Do the points for holding the data-extraction obelisks in FL accrue at a consistent rate? My thinking is that there should be a decent extra chunk at the very end to make it valuable to take/keep for the whole time.

Also goddamn how does anyone learn NIN PvP when half the abilities are hidden until you hit Three Mudras? I can take a look at them in the Wolves’ Den, but if I forget something during a CC I end up just randomly tossing ninjutsus out because it’s hard to look them up while waiting on a respawn timer.

Pretty sure it's consistent, yeah. Fighting over a nearly empty obelisk is seen as a bit of a loss.

For Mudras you muscle memory it over time and remember which button changes slightly based on your needs at the moment. There's six buttons at most with simplistic needs and even doubling that with Mudra barely gives you a full bar. Half of them map over to the same function as well(i.e. you'd Melee somebody you want to focus, Mug for harass/focus, you'd Fuma somebody you want to range poke, you'd shadow buff to make yourself better.)

Harass at Range Button becomes The Big Harass At Range, Mug becomes Second Harass at Range, Mudra itself and Shadow buff become SAVE MY rear end, your melee becomes gently caress You In Particular. If there's a use for Doton outside of prolonged brawling on the crystal in CC.. eh. And I default to putting up Hoton if I Mudra but have to fall back or get outranged. Alternating between Fuma and Mug for ranged harass keeps your Mudra clean and Hoton is always a good neutral to clean it up too, to get rid of bad habits like trying to Big Shuriken or Raijin twice in a row.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Almost every player ward is full but I saw a small in Kugane and tossed my bid in as lucky number 117. lol.

Time to start watching apartments I guess or bite the bullet on a FC room, better never leave my FC.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's also rare a game gets their balance done so well in the first place.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I just got an apartment so I can scratch the "learning to decorate" itch and leave housing up to a once every two weeks blind chance thing. I was #117 on a small and the winner was #143 of.. dunno, didn't really want to do the walk of shame for a second longer than I had to. The housing system and furniture set up seems really good and I'm a casualty of Wildstar housing shutting down so this'll be fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Was playing CC awhile last night and thought about the poster a few pages back wondering what to do about a losing streak.

Although it's important to be aware of your own contribution and always be polishing your own gameplay sometimes it really is just rng and you can't control the other four players. It got to the point where if I saw a specific insanely bad player on a team(saw him five times, friend and foe) I knew that team was guaranteed to lose. The same idiot paladin suiciding into the enemy as fast as possible, trying to hold the crystal 1v5 and never once using his LB or any utilities, just hardcore dedicated/botting his way through as the blue dps too stupid to at least be a jackass as War/Drk/Gnb.

Just gotta keep at it. Or take a break and hope your next play session lines up with better odds.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I greatly appreciate Cid being a boring straight man so that motherfuckin' Nero can shine.

Speaking of newbies I finally had several stars align:

Rous + PvP for fun ran every class to 60 because the Garo titles double dared my brain worms.

Omnicraft 80 because who needs gil when houses aren't real.

Fixed my connection dropping issue by replacing my router, removing the part of my soul that dies of guilt when I drop mid dungeon in a multiplayer coop game. Also the part of my daily frustration that makes me more interested in offline activities.

Got Ninja to 72 from 60 because IT'S LIT

Time to resume Shadowbringer MSQ! I just did the twin intro lines and was about to go rescue the Prophet of Light, excited to see Minfilla the most boring character have some sort of purpose and direction! King Baby-Fat and the dialogue associated was hilarious, good job Blue Alisaie! Also loved the characterization of the hedonistic rich commune city and how good FF14 is about not having every bad guy group be full of pure mustache twirling jerks.

HW and Stormblood were super good for me and everybody keeps saying Shadowbringer is when it gets really good??? Mmm mmm *rubs hands, licks lips*

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nin 70 going up there with Sam 60 for good class questing. :allears: /puckerup

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

New World suffered a truly embarrassing series of bugs, rushed and bad design(it's a hardcore pvp mmo! .. no, wait, we need casual pve, bang it out in a few months!) and almost total lack of dev follow up, as well as flat out incompetent mistakes when they did try to fix things. I think Riot can dodge that much and nail gameplay.

But we're pretty far past the point where anyone is impressed by the MMO loop of "kill x monsters, click y interactables, fight monsters with aoe circles." We want more, even if it's just some polish or competency on all the window dressing. It's why FF14 is doing well and WoW finally started killing itself, though WoW also set its thumb on the scale with regards to the grinding.

Will Riot have a good setting people get engaged in? Prrrrobably, it'll be a cozy place to have at least a month or two of adventure in. Will they deliver anything lasting that people get attached to? Coin flip. Arcane was one good spot in a history of ignoring, butchering or fumbling League lore. Arcane was also an episodic TV format with a clearly defined season vs MMO plotlines that can be set up over years while also wanting to be self contained content patches.

Personally I also think a Riot MMO won't fail but will be a lot less engaging if it follows too many LoL design cues, namely the slavish devotion to releasing nearly identical Generically Noble Attractive Human With Vague Background And A Dash because they sell better. The League setting interests me because there's a weird and horrible nation of grimdark magicpunk assholes running around, psychotic furballs, slightly offbeat but traditional fantasy monsters and other stuff like pirate cartels and steampunk cities. League running away from that helps keep me from touching the MOBA, almost every new hero release reinforcing that. If the MMO follows suit.. well, if nothing else, No Yordles = No Buy from this nerd.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 26, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ninjas are really cool.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love them. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My RP Canon: I'm a dumb lizard from fantasy mongolia I like adventure and friendship and comedy

Some People's RP Canon: I think this society of xenophobic isolationists is on to something here. How can I use this to aggressively police others?

Actually RPing an old-fashioned elezen traditionalist who gets flustered by everything new and modern that young people like is comedy gold if you go to the venues and give other people something to bounce off of and ham up being a fuddy duddy(and gradually warm up.) This dude just hates fun and literally roleplays Kahn from King of the Hi... no, that could be funny too. Is this guy some HOA narc irl? :v:

how does he feel about mounts that aren't grounded in lore/MSQ acquisition

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yesterday at level 83 RDM is when I realized I should use AoE Spell + Scatter/Impact instead of exclusively using AoE Spells to raise the mana type I wanted and only using Scatter/Impact when Acceleration was up.

Tooltips should be read often, I suppose.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The adds in that fight are already low on HP and barely cast any of their abilities once.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Free houses in the Goblet? I wish. Participant 34 won, I was 61, I dunno what the cap was because my eyes glaze over and I just take my gil back and teleport out as fast as I can because I hate Housing Day.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm mad apartments cap at 100 items placed, I'll knife fight you for a house.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Gang Lizard Gang

Lizard Gang Lizard Gang

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

How to use gshade, by A Lazy Idiot:

Activate any number of Adaptive Sharpening, Clarity 1, Clarity 2, Curves, Extended Levels, DepthHaze, FastSharpening.

Curves and Extended Levels do a lot of work for lighting effects and EL can often be a bit much and make things look too dark but you get the idea using at least 1 lets you start playing with cool shadows/lighting, DepthHaze blurs distant background FoV, the rest are just buttons I click by default to make textures look nicer. Obviously there is more to this you can experiment with but I assume most people trying gshade just want to press button, get better character model clarity! You can use as many or as few things with Sharpening in the name as you want.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

No put him back, he has to protect the forest!!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doman Steel Tabard of Fending

I like "street-level" looking gear a lot, especially since as a big RP nerd my amateur moron shouldn't be rocking FF protag armor and gear that glows and all, at least not yet.

And since I looked into my screenies folder for that, more glam shots:

Eastern Musketeer!

Alternate Reality Garlean!

That point where you enjoy playing a class in pvp and leveling rous but it's level 50 and your glam options are limited!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for glam love and tips, I made the Bard pic around the time CC had come out and the thread helped me feel out how good Bard is.

Bruceski posted:

Jealous...
Well done!

I did Lara Croft a while back.

Nice, nice, and thank you!