Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've played constantly since release and, at least by my experience, the queues have been much more stable since the patch few days ago.

I went from needing to babysit a queue for 2-3 hours, relogging every time I got kicked for fear of losing my place, to being able to safely go do things in other rooms without worrying about 2002 errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

AWS literally went down this week.

And took a shitload of games with it, it even made the actual news.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm starting to see why Yoshi-P looked so defeated during the live letter he had to announce the release delay

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even the poster who started this argument by calling the devs incompetent has already put their keyboard down and walked away from the argument.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkRRlouklE

:same:

(and then I queue up and I guess go watch netflix or something)

E: oh I guess this isn't the *wrong* thread per se I just meant to post this somewhere else

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 13, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I won't be posting this expac's Those Screenshots until I've taken them with all of my alts.

But I definitely don't think EW would have worked as well as it does if either the first or the second halves were expanded into their own expansions.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 13, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's buckwild

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shadowbringers is still my favorite expac but in my opinion Endwalker's pacing, to its credit, works in its favor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Also the trusts assign themselves spread positions but don't tell you, so Urianger managed to murder me by chasing me with his AoE. Luckily when you do the fight with trusts it gives you a few freebie stacks where the healers are allowed to rez you before the fight resets. Unless you touch the edge, anyway.

Well throwing yourself at the edge is for resetting fights after all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got the feeling SCH is better with oh-poo poo buttons, but SGE's blackest night-like mechanic is very cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The SA Official GOTY 2021 thread went live and there's a strong possibility Endwalker might be able to take the win, after a couple years of FF14 hovering around in the top ten group.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987583&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

You vote (and nominate) games by including them in a ranked list, minimum of top five games, maximum top ten. The no.1 game on your list gets ten points, the no.2 gets nine, and so on. After the voting period is over, Rarity will tally everything up and post the results.

And you can get commemorative 6ers of a pic related to the winning game to decorate your rap sheet at the end of it.

Update:

Rarity posted:

FF14's expansions have always been split for voting purposes, that's not changing now

On the one hand it means the vote is split so the best bet is to vote for EW if you do want to vote. On the other, this means you can vote for FF14 multiple times.

Runa fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 17, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:carol:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is there a hamsa mount and if so, how do you get it

Dodo is close but not quite

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/ladyaeva/status/1471769510911025152

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the one alt I have that Reaps I use the scaevan scythe because it looks the most like a gardening tool, especially when dyed a bright, saturated yellow

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Help my server is now infested by Garlean Empire RPers I need a goddamned meteor spell.

The fabric of our star began to fray

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And it's easily my least favorite part of the game. Shadowbringers and Endwalker have started to legitimately frustrate me with their difficulty. My group finally got the last EW trial down with about ten minutes left on the clock.

I think it's why I've taken such a shine to the crafting beast tribes. No fighting (except for the ixal ones), no battles, just making things and helping people.

I'm glad there's parts of the world and story that genuinely interest you even though large parts of the gameplay do not. I'm sorry Endwalker's story didn't land for you but as this is almost entirely for idiosyncratically subjective reasons there's not much to be done. And, to be fair, any reason a story doesn't land for someone is a valid one for them, even if it sounds buckwild from an outsider's perspective.

(This is just something people on the internet are gonna have to come to terms with.)

I'm also looking forward to crafting for friendly tribes and I can't wait to see whether it's the Arkasodara or the Loporrit that go that route.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My favorite raids are still the Ivalice raids. The Nier raids were already beefy enough to be kind of a slog even before the stat crunch, the Crystal Tower raids are just kind of a free space, and the Sky Pirate raids are an odd toss up. Sometimes you get a boring faceroll like Vark, sometimes you get the moderately interesting Mhach, and sometimes you get thrown into Dun Scaith.

The Ivalice raids hit a sweet spot of challenging without bosses overstaying their welcome with too-large hp pools. Except Yiazmat I guess. Orbonne's still top of the list for me, even in nerfed form.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love the Italics raids and I want to emphasize this as much as possible.

I am deeply disappointed with ADR queue riggers, it's definitely some "leave shopping carts out in the parking lot" energy and while those aren't great moral crimes they're both definitely the marks of a selfish and inconsiderate person.

Also my rankings for worst queue content:

Leveling: Copperbell because it wastes your time so much, and even the most crazy speedrunning tank can only do so much. Lol at some of the extremely leashable mobs at least.

Trials: Steps of Faith, it's no wonder the devs never designed another fight like the Vishap dragon taint power hour.

Numbers: I don't normally do numbers and don't really have an opinion, I don't like many of the ARR 50s and don't want to risk getting them.

Normals: I also don't normally do normals roulette and don't have strong opinions. Not a fan of any of the Alexander raids though I enjoy all the Omega or Eden.

Ally Rou: Void Ark. It's as boring as the CT raids without being as fast, so it doesn't even have that going for it. Also I still don't understand any of the Cu Chulainn mechanics but that hasn't stopped me on over half a decade. I've avoided unlocking Sky Pirates on any of my alts for this reason, and so it's a coin flip between boring (CT) or fun (any Ivalice or Nier raid) on them. My main is not so safe unfortunately.

Guildhests: I don't run these because I don't find them all that engaging. Lmao at pinging SAM90 with a guildhests though.

MSQ Rou: Castrum I guess? I don't normally run this one.

Frontlines: I also don't usually run these.

One might note that there's a lot of content I'm not interested in getting in roulettes so I don't run them, even with the rewards they offer. So I normally just don't run those roulettes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, unrelated,

Greenlandmald Empire

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For my list, Toto-Rak is saved from the pile because there's a chance one or more DPS has AoE attacks and when that happens the tank is given free reign to pull nearly wall-to-wall, turning a 20-minute slog into a 12-14 minute scramble and that's some of the most fun you can have in the ARR leveling range.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Favorite Roulette Results:

Leveling: Before EW, probably Dohn Mheg because there's not a lot of downtime, and what downtime there is can potentially lead to comedy (like someone slipping and falling during the tightrope fight). If you get an inexplicably bad group, worse than a trust, you even get a reverse enrage at the last boss, where Aenc Thon tries to do another fearsome transformation and accidentally inflicts Toad on himself.

I haven't run the EW leveling dungeons enough to get strong opinions on them but enjoy the 87 dungeon a lot, visually. And the final boss of the 82 dungeon is full of a lot of scrambling ddr dodges, it's great.

Trials: Titania, because apparently I crave violence. The 83 normal trial is coming up very close, however. I can parse the rotating arena gimmick pretty easily and it's funny waiting to see which randos will realize I know what's up and follow my lead

Numbers: Gubal Hard and it's a drat shame you don't see it very often since it's completely optional. Wall pulls are easy for a tank to manage and there's possibly the most satisfying magic dps LB target pack in the game after the second boss. Kugane Castle is a close second for being the training ground for a gold saucer GATE. The fact that you almost never get these two is a big part of why I don't bother with Numbers.

Though, Swallow's Compass is also very cool and I wish I got to see more of it to have a former opinion of it. Again, optional and, thus, very rare.

Ally Rou: Orbonne, no question. There's a few newbie traps and gotchas, and one bad team can devastate the entire raid at TG Cid, but you're never wanting for something to do and the mechanics are all very easy to remember if you just run through it a couple of times. Puppet's Bunker is a close second, with both a very fun ring-arena boss and a boss that gives you a "delete other team" button if you're feeling spicy, but the corridor bullet hell section drags on too long and I prefer Ultima's weird gimmicks and final exam phase to it.

MSQ Rou: lol

Normals: lmao

Guildhest: please stop hitting the turtle

Frontlines: I should give it a try when onsal hakair is on, I've never played that. Otherwise, no comment.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lugubrious posted:

Castrum also allows two assholes to camp on the loaded cannons on the Livia-in-armor fight without using them, making the fight take forever while everyone else yells at them to stop in chat. Found that out a few days ago.

At least griefing is reportable

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't go into the Uldah adventurer's guild on Balmung

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's better not to stress out over it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G'raha in EW is just happy he gets to be there and, honestly, so am I

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's a puppy who happens to be a cat

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

escape mechanism posted:

I can see that about Il Mheg, but Mor Dhona is such a nightmare of bad crystal textures and confusing navigation it's hard to see it in Lakeland

It's more obvious in the 1.0 cinematic, when the area around Lake Silvertear was lush and healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6yutR3AG0

Lakeland being lush but purple is a bit of a synthesis of the eastern and western halves of current Mor Dhona.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

People talk about these starting cutscenes from new-basic FF14 being important later, is that really true or is it just like "hey I remember that" callbacks?

because these 10 minute cutscenes in limsa lominsa are really dragging.

It's mostly the latter, though a few of those cutscenes get recontextualized in a genuinely interesting way. But those are, like, three expacs in. And the important ones I'm pretty sure were unskippable to begin with. You're probably fine with skipping any pre-50 ARR cutscene that doesn't interest you in the first minute, any lost information is something you can pretty quickly gather from context later. Stuff genuinely becomes long-term important after the level 50 8-player dungeons with unskippable cutscenes, even if it doesn't look like it, as that's where the writers had time to actually sit down and plot things out rather than trying to help rush ARR out the door.

There's a thread for new players that's probably a better place to ask newbie questions, as sometimes this thread isn't afraid to toss around unmarked spoilers for stuff outside of the most current expac.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Expert Roulette, amusingly, tends to be anything but difficult.

Clarste posted:

You should always be going for it anyway. Worst case scenario is that you die and learn your healer is bad so you can stop doing it for the rest of the dungeon.

I had to point out to a Sage why they shouldn't wear glam-only statless gear.

The fact that they were a Sage is less important than the fact that they had a Returner icon and thus probably hadn't come back to the game in years.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like raiders who skipped cutscenes were more common in ARR and, you know what, fair

E:

Macaluso posted:

Another person I commissioned to draw my WoL has finished :toot:

:3: This might be my favorite one yet

that's some good commish yo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I posted an essay about FFXIV over in this year's GOTY thread. It's a bit of a doozy but I had a lot to say.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

Sharlay housing looks so much nicer than ishgard. I honestly don't get the hype over ishgard housing, it's all grey stone. Kugane and even all three starter zones are more interesting

It's because people loved Heavensward op

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Insert name here posted:

My favourite part of the RPR quests was:
Drusilla: Yo watch it my gramps got himself possessed by his voidsent and now there's nothing left of him
WoL: That's rad! *learns Enshroud*

:thatsrad:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DPS running ahead of me was what taught me, as a newbie tank, that oh I can pull more than one pack at a time.

Going in with an open mind and a willingness to adapt works better in the long run than being stubborn and petty.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Never gonna let thancred live that one down hun

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually it's Emet and yeah it owns

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait??? What? But… do I wanna ask or should I wait and see

Definitely the latter

Runa