Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The only problem I encountered on In From the Cold is getting into the magitek reaper - one of the mobs spotted me leaving the building you get the key to the reaper from, which linked to the rest of the group, and unlike the rest of the mobs in the zone they don't leash at any distance. :mad:

Regalingualius posted:

I just finished the 83 dungeon’s Aiming set, and I think I’m in love.

How does the end of run guaranteed piece of loot work? Like, does it try to fill in whatever slots are lowest, or is it just totally random beyond being appropriate for your job?
Completely random, but it won't be anything you already have in your inventory and armory chest. So it won't try to give you multiple pairs of pants, it'll give you a missing bracelet instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
To be honest it feels to me like healer gets, if anything, more explicit non-role story recognition than tank, if only because they treat the Warrior of Light as shitkicker prime most of the time (and all jobs can DPS), but if they need someone to bear the brunt of an attack it's generally going to be an NPC. But Hollywood Derplander does get to tank frequently, that is true.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The funniest thing is when there was a bug where Grassman wouldn't stop pounding, and still kept scaling up damage.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Moonward Milpreves amuse me because they're Amano beads.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My take on Sage after a bunch of random groups is that Icarus is possibly getting them killed more than it's helping them.
No, dashing to me the moment before the big aoe mechanic hits is not going to save you! You should have been here ages ago!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I thought before the new jobs were announced for Endwalker that they'd have to get at least one (1) new Healer before they stopped making FFXIV content, but now that they've done it, I'm pretty sure they'll feel at liberty to hold off for even up to three more expansions. They might have a new one by the Actual End of the game, if only to have a "catch-up" job in the higher level range and as something of a parting gift, but I definitely am not expecting any for 7.0 or 8.0.
(At the same time, they have been trying to keep roles *somewhat* balanced in numbers, even if melee ends up with the most simply because it's got 3 sets of gear)

Regardless, my early money's on next expansion having a Scouting job and possibly a new Magical Ranged.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the current magical ranged is Blue Mage.
It’s on the list but it’s a limited job.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Does the guard at the Garlean Embassy in Kugane have anything new to say after the story's over?
Sadly, neither the Garlean nor the Thavnairian Embassy guards have updated their dialogue since Stormblood, and that carries through to post-Endwalker.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
turns out meracydia only has a scraggly port town populated solely by people who came there looking for dragons and tiamat is hiding out because she does not want to be seen by that bunch

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

One thing I will say though is that a lot of cutscenes in this expansion were not made with a bow wielder in mind.
I'll have you know that bringing a big spinning metal sphere with spiky bits and cards floating around it to a fist fight is, in fact, good and proper in XIV.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

The sound effect of the scholar action Broil IV has been adjusted.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not a numbers/balance change but since it'd come up earlier there's this bit in the "Resolved Issues" section

quote:

An issue when playing as ninja wherein execution of Hollow Nozuichi caused the status effects Forked Raiju Ready and Fleeting Raiju Ready to expire.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Did people know that Continuation means "Renzokuken"
I know this is a joke but even in the Japanese the XIV ability is "コンティニュエーション" (kontinyueeshon).
Bloodfest is Blood Soil, though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Maintenance ended early.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/e190f341997d51d255d7a50aeb37eeb1e444593b

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I did enjoy the boss designs for 2 and 3 and desire one or both as a mount.
I do believe that the P3 boss was datamined as the savage mount.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does anyone have a link to images of the raid gear set lol, I forgot I would have to roll on tokens

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

Yiazmat just feels WAAAAAY too durable and kinda random with his instakill mechanics unless I'm just too dumb to grasp them.
Yiazmat doesn't have any random instakill mechanics, and the HP bar is a bit of a fancy fabrication because after his ultimate phase the number is dropped drastically (he's got a buff that artificially inflates the number until you get past that phase).
Stone Breath is just him doing a cone from his current facing, Rake (the pinball version) shows the direction he'll be turning when bouncing off a wall, and Death Strike is just a stack marker.

The big thing that usually gets people is when the platform is divided in two for Magnetic Lysis - you get polarized to one of the colors, and if you're standing on the same color you'll be floating which will make you take more damage from Dust Storm (the standard raidwide AoE) AND get a debuff for the next Cyclone cast (the one that swirls the alliances around the arena) that causes instant death. Basically you want to keep your feet on the ground for Dust Storm casts (you can be in the wrong zone if you need to react for movement, otherwise), and ideally the tank will have Yiazmat in the middle if he's not using the pinball Rake so people can stand in their proper colors and still attack.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

acumen posted:

Wait what are you actually supposed to do vs Livia? I thought two had to just sit there and click the ammo pile things while everyone else kills adds and sits on their thumb
The Actual Flow of that fight is someone grabs initial aggro and keeps Livia still, two people get the Loaders moving, two people use the cannon on Livia, then run to the center because she aggros on whoever blasts her (her attacks do so little damage that it genuinely doesn't matter who's "tanking" her at a given moment) and you don't want her shooting the cannon and disabling them. Others keep activating the loaders when they finish their runs and keep shooting the cannon.

Adds spawn after hitting her that try and beeline the Magitek Loaders to take them out of commission, everyone else wants to murder these as soon as possible so you can avoid waiting for the Loaders to wake up.

That's really it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
When Fuga upgrades to Fuko you can just straight spin to win, only generally stopping for your standard Goken breaks since Iaijutsu still needs a target (well, and Goken and Ogi Namikiri, but you're not constantly using those).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

blatman posted:

are u making GBS threads me

are there any other dungeons with dumb ground pickups that I can skip?
It's not quite a pickup per se (though you don't ever have to read the note, you can just brute force at the end of the first segment), but you can cut minutes off a Sastasha run if everyone's on board by having the tank pull everything to the final area without anyone else generating aggro (including the healer - don't heal the tank in the process), then let the tank explode and everything leashes back to their starting positions and the healer rezzes the tank in the boss room.
Not exactly the best newbie experience but if there's no first-time bonuses you can clear it synced in under 10 minutes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SettingSun posted:

There is almost always a wipe during the last boss of lota when not enough people greed the second flare.
Or when too many people greed poorly. I've seen the entire 24-man stick it out even when the cast bar is 85% done and the boss is still at 12% life. (Me included because there's no point in dashing to the pads anymore by then.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hazardousmouse posted:

the gently caress is a siscon?

quote:

"Sister complex (Japanese: シスターコンプレックス) is a state of strong attachment and obsession to sisters. It is commonly abbreviated as "siscon" (Japanese: シスコン), and in this case, it is also used for brothers and sisters who have a strong attachment and obsession to their sisters."
There's also "brocon." It's usually just a tropey thing for super clingy family characters, rarely actually going anywhere except making the one with the complex be antagonistic towards anybody showing interest in or having interest shown from their sibling, and/or making life difficult/awkward for said sibling.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I had to heal a Dark Knight through Living Dead without Benediction the other day (they were well below the gear curve in the 89 dungeon and I'd already used it on the previous pull), it took chain Cure IIs under Temperance. Shouldn't be impossible but barrier healers tend to have a rougher time if they're about tapped on resources.

On the flipside, while I'm appreciative of tanks using their long cooldowns in trash pulls, surprise Hallowed Ground/Superbolide right as they plant with a wall pull is kind of its own frustration when I'm spamming Holy and the enemies aren't really doing anything for the first 6 seconds or so.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why did they change the name and icons of the samurai uptime buffs anyways.
Because they're granted by the AoE now, too, so they wanted to decouple them from the single-target skill names. Same deal with, like, Dragoon's Disembowel buff becoming Power Surge and Warrior's Storm's Eye becoming Surging Tempest.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Not really my favorite character but the messaging was pretty clear in that scene to me. "I'm thanking you for your actions at this moment, even if I still hate everything you've done prior to this point, haven't forgiven you, and don't like you, personally." That he doesn't say "gently caress you I didn't want to be saved by you" isn't really him handing it to ISIL.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
In a roundabout way you could say that setting up G'raha in 4.5 sets up Crystal Tower as mandatory which sets up a character. There's also the device Nero ditches - at the end it's beeping "IT'S ALL WRONGG" in Morse code (this was most likely meant to lead into the original concept for Eureka, though - if it might line up with anything else it's by happenstance). And they clearly had more plans for Zenos.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 26, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

I play a lalafell so I don't really parse anybody as being attracted to the WoL. I guess a lot of it is probably based on your own character's body language and stuff, because I read, say, Aymeric for example as having kind of a "my younger sibling has really grown up and made me proud" type relationship to the WoL. Ditto G'raha reminds me of the professional rush of working with somebody whose work you admire or who was formative to you earlier in your career-- a little overawed but trying to keep on his toes and make a good impression.
Strange but true, non-lalafell people in-universe are attracted to lalafell - one of the most explicit times is a Stormblood sidequest where you help play matchmaker for a highlander lady and her lalafellin hero, but there's the couple in the CUL HW quests, too.
Also if anything I have to be proud of l'il bro Aymeric for finally finding something constructive to do, even if he still can't help but be a weirdo. :colbert:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not like a 1:1 with Lakeland at all but it might help visualization of space to see what 1.0's Mor Dhona looked like outside of cinematics, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cl2E0tJdLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKUynGGV7Dk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c7Y1FviUxM

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hommando posted:

If I was healing that dungeon I'd always tell people to feel free to eat AOEs to maximize uptime, the bosses (mostly) don't do a lot of damage. Recently, for the first time ever I died on the second boss because the DPS was so low it did a mechanic I've never seen it do before. It spawns water spouts that can fling you out of the arena to instant death.

S.J. posted:

What? I didn't even see that on launch day. Wow.
I also saw that the other day, with, again, very low DPS. Nobody died in my run, though, it was just weird to see.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Barreft posted:

What does dripless mean? I'm 38 and not "hip" to that TikTok lingo
Drip in this context is "fashionable, stylish" regarding clothing so the post is saying Urianger has the opposite of that.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Isn't that literally because they couldn't afford, at the time, to budget a second model for Alisaie?
Alphinaud, but yes (I know, Alph became more MSQ relevant sooner, but that's literally the order they were created). They needed another unique character without having resources to model another, so they twinned Alisaie.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Leal posted:

Why be a bard when you can be a red mage?

Can also attack from range
Throw fire, wind, thunder, stone, flares and holy at your opponent
Gracefully leap off platforms and into death fields
Twirls in combat
Can resurrect the bard when they die, but won't because wasn't the summoner going to do that

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
lalastruttin' at the end of 3.3 to let the trial boss know it's fuuuuucked

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

the character designers just seem to dislike bold anime style hair colors as a design decision. even reddish/orange hair which is an actual natural color is pretty rare, i can only think of fordola and graha as far as major characters go. stuff like blue or green hair seems exclusive to otherworldly characters. (I thiiink Sadu's might be a really dark shade of blue, but still)

I finally found a story NPC who's even similar to the WoL.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
they should make all actions limited per instance in all content and if you run out you have to autoattack

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yeah I didn't like when they added the Shadowbringers mid-boss theme that was just a remix of Insatiable. Was that 5.2? Either way, it kinda drove the theme into the ground and also sapped some of the power out of Insatiable itself. I like the rock remix that they use for the Shadowbringers mid-bosses, but I don't really like it in the context where it's used.
It was at the point when they were adding Zenos to Dissidia NT (before it died) and that was one of the new songs and people thought it was cool and why isn’t this in XIV and also around the same time people were having some feedback on the midbosses in ShB using the same old midboss theme and couldn’t they shake it up by now and the two requests were combined.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The donations are nice in and of themselves and for eventually giving 40,000 gil of double-price vendoring a week, but yeah, nothing to do with Bozja.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

As Samurai, should you be trying to use Tsubame-gaeshi on Higanbana (the dot Iaijutsu)? It doesn't stack with the normal version, and if I understand correctly, juicing the normal version with Kaiten means the dot will have 45 potency anyways?
There's potentially some edge cases where you may want to dot two beefy targets because you'll get the whole minute out of both but in general you don't use Kaeshi: Higanbana much because it doesn't stack with Higanbana and Tsubame-gaeshi moves are all equivalent to a Hissatsu: Kaiten powered Iaijustu in potency.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
She didn't seem particularly more eager to me than the others, just "yo if you come across something particularly tricky I'll be glad to help out". If anything she seemed like she'd prefer to be doing more research if there are no other pressing demands for her expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Stormblood patches spoilers.
I'm kind of surprised you felt bad for Yotsuyu compared to Fordola. At any rate, I do feel like it would've been better if she died at Doma Castle as opposed to surviving with amnesia. I know what the writers were going for, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, particularly with the girl in Namai getting angry at everyone else for being fearful of Yotsuyu despite the fact that this is the same woman who inflicted all kinds of horrors on them for years. Even if she has amnesia at the moment.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but Yotsuyu is only made acting Viceroy after the failed rebellion that happened during ARR, and there's still a weird narrative time bubble where they haven't really committed to any signifcant passage of time since then. She's meant to be a relatively recent install, though. The follow-up patches in general are somewhat focused on a theme "what do you do when your side has won your rebellion; is the revolution over simply because the occupier is pushed out?" Yotsuyu is kind of necessary to continue that on the Doman side because she's the character already established with some legitimate grievances against pre-Imperial Doma (even if her response as viceroy was far beyond approaching reasonable) - everything about her life up until Zenos took an interest in her was strictly legal in Doma, and everyone in society high and low was happy to turn a blind eye to her suffering because, well, better her than them. Zenos was the first person who even asked how she felt about it all. Her existence is a complication to the newly-free Doma because she's a living reminder that things weren't all hunky-dory and perhaps society could still be improved somewhat and maybe things shouldn't simply go back to the old "normal." Tsuyu is kind of a glimpse of the life she would have wanted to have and the girl standing up for her is like the bare minimum of care anyone could have paid her before the Viceroy stint.