Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farg posted:

eyyy I'm endwalkin' here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm mostly just still adjusting to drowning in Esprit all the time.

yea DNC is my side job so I've been toying with it now that I'm done with the MSQ and all. It feels a lot better in ways I can't describe but boy is it weird to have tons of Espirit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordiceius posted:

The biggest failings of Endwalker are( general story, not really spoilers) Nero has no lines and we don’t get the Cid/Nero on-screen kiss.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

No one is going to remember that this happened within a month. Just like with Raubahn EX

yea this sucks rear end right now, nobody's saying you're not allowed to go 'this fuckin sucks', but these things never last and are never longterm memories as long as the game itself is good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thinking about the people who got past only to get stuck in the void cuz they left Susano's arena while sitting down or whatever.

also yea SB's launch was way worse, like 'multiple points will make this game literally unplayable, RIP' worse, at least once you defeat the queue primal you're pretty much safe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wizardofloneliness posted:

This is seriously the funniest thing. No, it’s not that they were genetically engineered to be used as slave labor or some other awful experiment, it was just loving cool to be huge. If anything tells you the Allagans were hosed up, it’s this.

it's literally one of my favorite lore things. Such a great, dumb, thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Furnaceface posted:

e: ^^^ A very well timed post made while I was typing mine.

Man the story this time around is giving me emotional whiplash.

Going from cute rabbits to Urianger having one of the saddest (but also best) moments so far just wrecked me last night.

kinda general spoiler but mostly moon stuff Urianger's arc this expansion being 'I don't regret my choices, I feel I did the best I could, but being 'the shady guy who always kinda betrays his friends' loving sucks even if you guys forgive me and understand why I do it' was not what I expected but boy was it good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? No, you haven't, gently caress off we're full!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ironslave posted:

This is true, but it would be a hell of a coincidence to find every single one of those 108 dead or dying. It's also suggested but not stated that Midgardsormr settled on Etheirys because it was the only planet he found that wasn't dead or dying.

continued spoilers from this.

DOES he explicitly say that? He says Etheriys was 'a lone light of hope' or something...Could that just mean he understood the whole aether shell protecting it thing, or that hydaelyn herself signaled to him that it was safe? I think it's fair to say Meteion did a good deal of damage to the universe but wouldn't really fit the message of the expansion if literally every star but ours is dead.

Also 'spoiler' for the end of the studium quests

Plus we know that at the very least the Sharlayans would very much like to begin exploring the stars and carrying a message of hope so it'd be a bit of poor storytelling if the resolution to that down the line was 'ope, we're alone actually'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HackensackBackpack posted:

So were you Inuyasha Flameweaver or...?

everyone knows Imp's Pinball Greg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tabletops posted:

is there much point to leveling crafting stuff besides just making the numbers bigger on your class page?

money, and being able to craft your own gear, also housing/cosmetic stuff.

Plus the guild stories/facet/studium stuff is actually pretty fun and we're at a point where you can easily just buy your way to success through the slow low levels

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

Also the crafting beast tribes have consistently been the best ones.

oh yea this too, if you craft your reward is getting to hang out with airship piloting lizards, moogles, namazu, dwarfs, and almost certainly the moon-bunnies eventually so really it's just a list of winners.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I have Walked the End, and never have I seen a story that has so many good moments yet is so relentlessly determined to piss it away. What a loving mess of an expansion, and I can't believe this is the same team that did Shadowbringers.

really? Every moment was pissed away?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if anything Hythlodaeus is the malewife in the situation for both the incredibly grumpy tsundere Emet-Selch and the heroic adventurer Azem. The calming presence that supports them both and encourages them to be better people and listens to their pain and frustration with undying devotion.

yea if anyone in that throuple is staying at home baking cookies and tending to everyone's emotional needs it's Hythlo, Azem's out trying to punch compassion into people and Emet's trying to explain that responding to some evil warlord's monologue with 'bruh' isn't becoming of an ancient one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly if you were looking for Israel Analogies (TM) in Etheirys Ul'dah is right there with its dysfunctional pseudoparliament, mixture of stereotypically European and Middle Eastern cultural trappings, awkward origins and burgeoning mercantile capitalism.

Or Ala Mhigo with its bellicose history and recent occupation, militarily suppressed religion and central trade location, combined with a diaspora that nonetheless are grappling with their nation's uglier bits of history.

these are really dumb comparisons too, the Ala Mhigo one is downright offensive and the Ul'dah one makes zero sense and is way more in line with actual insane antisemetic imagery if you're trying to say the country run by a syndicate of merchants in the shadows is 'more like Israel' than another...

like this whole thing is stupid but if you're going to get all unironically upset at an obvious shitpost maybe don't make it more racist somehow

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetrauben posted:

It's considerably less antisemitic than "the country literally driven by a monstrous cult of evil bodysnatching wizards who are basically The Reason For All The World's Problems & driven by a fairly thin victimization narrative that's centuries old is totally Modern Israel You Guys."

And no, actually, Ala Mhigo's got a lot in common with how modern Israel sees itself. Ul'dah, too. The Syndicate in particular - not in form but in its sheer dysfunction - has a lot in common with how badly run the Knesset is.

Israel is not an occupied nation, I mean it is but not in the sense you're saying, I don't even think the insane Likud crowd genuinely 'sees themselves' as an occupied people, I'm truly begging you to shut up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Worsts for me:

Expert: Genuinely none, I guess if this is a 'gun to your head you gotta lose one' Dead Ends is the most easily hosed up if you're not paying attention on the second boss but god how can you hate it when it's such a perfect 'end of story' dungeon for EW?

Leveling: Copperbell, more like Copper Hell am I right folks? But yea as boring as others like it are Copperbell has the unforgivable sin to me of multiple bosses where you just stand around watching poo poo happen. Worse, the poo poo isn't even fun to watch. Terrible, easily the worst dungeon in the game.

Numbers: Tough one, easily the most love or hate chunk for me...I think for the one that makes me most actively go 'ugh, that one, poo poo' I have to agree with Pharos Sirius, not a bad dungeon but it's just so...awkward, it's the least fun to do because you simultaneously don't have to really worry much about it but also can't no-brains it and watch Netflix.

Trials: gently caress Steps. Great storytelling trial, great experience the first time, but man is it just a slog now.

Alliance Raid: Another tough one. I think Weeping City is the one I've personally had the most wipes on due to people not remembering poo poo, so that gets the vote by virtue of pure 'you annoyed me most recently'. Labyrinth is a close second just because of how many times people ignored the chat saying '4 have to be on each pad'...

Normal Raid: A2, trash spam bad. Tbh as much as I like Alexander as a thing it's easily the weakest raid series by far and its age shows when next to some really amazing ones we've gotten now. RIP Alexander, you had a fun story and are a cool primal.

MSQ: Castrum, duh, you have to actually look at things happening and can't just watch Netflix. Also yea Livia is juuuust annoying enough to cause possible actual problems for the group if you've all shut your brains off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jetrauben posted:

Alexander's problem might just be that the actual bosses lack a lot of narrative context almost all of the time? Like mostly they're just interchangeable robots without a good set of cohesive framing devices that give each encounter a theme?

Alexander himself is great, and Brute Justice is at least fun?

yea the setpieces just kinda...run together. Brute Justice owns and obviously Alexander Himself is cool, but yea aside from them, Cruise Chaser, and that big nasty slag monster, everyone else is just 'big bipedal robot or a goblin who makes themself big' that don't seem to have much to do with things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

super sweet best pal posted:

I think trash raids need to come back. Ever since Stormblood the raids have been nothing more than glorified Trials.

we are mortal foes, because you said that like it's a bad thing :argh:

but yea tbh despite actively wanting 'glorified trials' more I wouldn't mind a trash raid or two to spice things up and I bet they can do it more fun now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've played since 1.0 and have literally never done a guildheist, they're not real, you can't convince me they are.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I should probably go through EW on at least one other character that has some different jobs leveled to 80, my main's a sage with a splash of dancer so I'm mainly trying to decide if I wanna do it again as a Gunbreaker or Ninja...or maybe Black Mage. How do those guys feel now that we've had a chance to play them in full context of raids and all?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vermain posted:

IIRC, the Autumn War was still within a living generation of Ala Mhigan history, so broad distrust over the willingness for Gridania to let bygones be bygones wouldn't be amiss.

yea That's why the moment when Lyse shows up to offer help to Gridania is so important, it's symbolizing that the new, free, Ala Mhigo won't be what it was and a desire to rebuild relations and all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
plus the gatherers have a small chance of bringing genuinely good poo poo that sells well like currently the crab minion for level 81 explorations and all so it's never a bad idea to have them at least doing something

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

It's worth noting that the yields on crafting material ventures, especially for lower-level stuff, got buffs with the removal of HQ materials. The new potions require lavender from level 80 nodes? My level 90 botanist retainer gets them 50 at a time now. Nice way to stock up while I'm doing roulettes or whatever.

oh poo poo I didn't know that, that's very useful

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's super bannable, not 'oh tee hee don't mention you're using this gpose mod kay?' but like 'oh you're doing an actual cheat'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stev posted:

Estinien really emulates the real player dynamic in his trust implementation. During my first run of the Hydaelyn trial he had a stack marker on him - the team all moved into position only for him to Dragonfire Dive away to one of the crystal adds at the last moment - killing him instantly.

Which I've done myself several times. It was just fun seeing a bot make the same mistake.

I respect him

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Charles "Entertainingway" Cheese

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FF14 is a good game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saint Freak posted:

They have the facing arrow under them like any other enemy.

gently caress you

I'm sure you're right but I need to be mad at someone other than myself for not noticing this for all this time so gently caress you for being right :argh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TGLT posted:

I found the fastest way to sell those was to just open them and sell off the individual parts people want. Sometimes people just want hoodies.

yea hats and hoodies sell faster than boxes in my DC at least, people want specific things for their casual glam that are hard to substitute more than they want the full set

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

I've gradually come to the conclusion that the only truly meaningful difference between jobs in FF14 is whether they make heavy use of cast times. All other jobs ultimately just feel like different algorithms applied to series of button presses.

Regarding leveling crafting, isn't it the case now that the Ixal quests are no longer necessary (or optimal at least) for leveling 1-50? That's kind of a shame, since I would wager that like 1/3 of my total FF14 playtime is doing those quests, and the area and music in which those quests take place is burned into my mind more than any other FF14 thing short of MSQ roulette content.

FF14 needs to bring back Ninja as tank with Utsusemi

While I never played end-game FF11 myself, my friend did, so I learned that apparently it was a meta to always have Ninja as a subclass so you could use Utsusemi to tank.

yea Ninja was really unique and cool in 11, I like 14's a lot but nothing really ever felt like using an army of shadow clones to soak damage and all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bleck posted:

I'm not too in the know, what's wrong with DRK?

it's fine, it has the best consistent DPS right now and all the tools work perfectly well, but the issue is A) it's big 'oh poo poo' button is maybe one of the worst I've ever seen in an MMO that actively is unusable in a dungeon with a low heals healer like Sage and B) all three other tanks got huge boosts while DRK's rotation remains really simple and dull compared to how it used to be so it's mainly a case of being the neglected kid rather than actively sucking

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I would like whoever designed Living Dead to turn locations on, though, I just wanna talk as a Sage main

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
me, a simple Sage having used a single cooldown a second ago watching my DRK tank in a dungeon hit Living Dead: guess we wipe in ten seconds

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thundarr posted:

I've played online games for way too long, and absolutely know that sort of player who sprinkles in the occasional meme thinking it balances out the fact that they're being a raging psycho.

yea that 100% read as 'ha ha I'm being cute and jokey (but really if you do this you're banned)'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

my queen

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

just unlocked the 89 trial - very surprised (and pleased) to see it's Trust-supported, but slightly annoyed by the plot lead-up to it, specifically the trope of proving oneself in deadly combat with a close ally. that one always gives me a big ol' eyeroll, even when it seems completely justifiable in the plot

not that that matters at all, mind you :black101:

don't read until after, but I am curious if it being a genuine 'I'm fading and my time has come to an end, I want you to kill me so you can show you're worthy of protecting things without me' thing made it better for you. I also hate the 'prove your worth to me by fighting me with your real sword and super magics!' trope but I really liked the angle of 'no but for real killing me proves you're able' sincerity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ok, so flare and freeze are only for aoe. Wait, how can you do two flares in a row? Doesn’t flare take all your MP, and you can’t use flare if you have 0 mp?

Umbral Hearts reduce the cost by 1/3rd, once you unlock those you can flare spam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MechaX posted:

You might be able to still use an Elixir/Ether to squeeze in a fourth Flare if you really, really want to, but it's not necessary by any means

yea I'm sure there's some super sweaty window to fit in a fourth sometimes but your ideal BLM moment is 99.99999% of the time lining up triple cast/manafont to be able to machine gun out three Flares reliably. If you're doing that congrats you're BLMin