Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Professor Beetus posted:

As someone whose trying to make it to zones 5 and 6 without spoilers due to how I see goons hyping it up, can anyone tell me without spoilers why it's so :holkyfuck: for people? I feel like based on the goon reactions so far I'm going to go into it with the same kinds of unrealistic expectations that Marvel fans have going into the Spider-Man.

You are gonna know the absolute nanosecond what zone five is the moment there’s even a small whiff of a hint for it. And you’ll know because your face will go :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

koshmar posted:

MSQ LVL 83 spoliers Lord Quintus was a coward and it's weird that there's a Garlemand version of Q-Anon

The adjective you used to qualify them is exactly what I yelled at my screen the moment their intentions were revealed.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just got done with the 87 dungeon and I'm really disappointed at the story's direction: The moment I met Meteion and she revealed she could feel and transmit emotions, I thought "this better not lead to her finding out life is sad, and so she gets sad and wants other to be sad." Then low and behold, she does. It feels really contrived. Not that Aether isn't itself problematic, just that this feels tacked on top of everything and comes out of left field as an easy way out for the writers probably having written themselves in a corner in regards to what started the apocalypse. For a small moment there I thought Meteion had witnessed some sort of cosmic horror at the end of the universe, warping her consciousness, (not saying it would have been better, but it was the impression I got from the cutscene when she receives the info) but no, it's just "things die and it's sad." I'm not done with the story, so mayhap they'll be taking this in another direction, but for now I'm really annoyed. The memory wipe, too, feels like a massive cope out.

They had been doing such a great job up until Elpis I think. Right now I just feel like I'm playing through someone's fanfiction of FF14. People have been clamoring they stick the landing perfectly, so I'm hoping there's something else that hasn't been revealed/told yet that will either give a better context to this, or simply change direction toward something better thought out.

At least Argos is a good boi

Popoto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 12, 2021

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Valentin posted:

these are the same thing.

like I get what you're saying and agree it could've been conveyed better but if we could find intelligent life incredibly quickly but immediately found that we were the only living beings left because the rest had killed themselves in a relentless pattern of self-destruction then for a lot of people that would be a cosmic, consciousness-warping horror, especially if the self-destruction had happened hundreds of times.

But that’s not a cosmic horror for me. It’s just life. Things die out. It’s normal. We’re all gonna die here too. Humanities days are counted, whether it’s a century or a millennia more. The explanation rings hollow for me. I get that many might find the natural order horrific, including the writers most likely for making Meteion the big bad that way (as it seems for now), but that’s where I get pulled out of my immersion.

It feels a bit rushed, and not as thought out as the story in ShB. In any case, I’ll be back once I finish the expansion with my thoughts on the whole thing, including the previous expansions. Maybe things will fit better once I have the whole picture.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

raverrn posted:

Hey Squeenix what this poo poo where are my bits that do a cool Nu Gundam wing when docked?

I was loving promised.

foiled by depth perception again!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Crossposted from the other ff14 thread:

Popoto posted:

I’m about to enter zone 6, and so far I would rate my FFXIV list as follow, from best to worst :
    Shadowbringers
    Endwalker
    Heavensward
    Stormblood
    A Realm Reborn

I wouldn’t be surprised if Endwalker might end up between Heavensward and Stormblood depending on how the next zone goes.

There was no way for this to compete with the perfection of ShB. That one was too much of a perfect storm of production circumstances to reproduce.

I’m excited for the end, but so far not necessarily because of the big plot points.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Finished EW today. I’ll collect my thoughts and write something comprehensive tomorrow. Suffice to say: I did not like it much compared to the other expansions. Right now it’s neck and neck with SB for me, which was my least favorite.

If I had to resume it in one phrase, I would say: Endwalker ramps off to a banger of a start, before continuing to a strong middle and stumbles towards the end. There’s quite a few pacing problems, to the point I would say only zone two felt devoid of them. Zone 1 in particular I thought could gently caress off. Anyway, proper wall of spoiler thoughts to come tomorrow.

Can’t wait to go back to the true end game gameplay of glaming it up and leveling other jobs while chilling in Limsa.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

super sweet best pal posted:

They should make all items fit in the armoire, they take up too much space.

i agree

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Traditionally, the X.3 patch is when the game starts pivoting their stories for the X.0 content, yeah? I'm expecting the story have us resolve a lot of the VOID world situation with a pivot to a new foreshadowed place. Looking forward to it. I've always found the X.1 and X.2 patches a bit lackluster, but so far have been really enjoying the last two.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Thundarr posted:

They've indicated that, with the end of the original main story with 6.0, the plot schedule moving forward won't necessarily follow the same pattern as it did in previous patches. So we don't really know yet! I don't think they're going to be wrapping up the Void stuff in 6.3, at least. Too much ground to cover.

I'm down for that. They for sure have a lot of opportunities to have us visit the other shards as I think they are still a small handful that are still out there right? The current possible directions are anything from the void, to any of the other unknown shards, to the southern continent. Is that it? (Of course there could just be something else entirely, but I'm just going from what I remember OTOH from the lore.)

We are hanging out with dragons, and the southern continent is like dragonland yeah? Or was? Some lore nerd correct me please.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

RME posted:

It’ll be cool when zero turns into zeromus and then we fight and kill her

Yeah it's either that or a part of her was taken/pushed out, given a twisted form in the shape of zeromus.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Done with 6.3 MSQ. I found it really meh :/ like… nothing happened? I guess if the goal is to bore us a bit so that when the actual new plot points starts we’ll be in for a treat?

Buuz was good though. Anyhow, time to go back to glam making until 6.4!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't think they're going to kill Zero but I do think we're going to have to fight her at the end of this arc

I mean ff4 + zero->zeromus makes it pretty certain

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
just logged back in for the return campaign, and upon seeing the messy bags, promptly closed the game. I'm really itching at the idea of selling/deleting everything that's not specifically equipped/gear-setted on my character. its either that or restarting on a new character

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
gonna donate vendor everything in the doman enclave i think. clean slate. you're all right.

e: maybe not the fantasia though. ill do ONE exception

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gato posted:

Just wanted to say thanks to the Eurogoons for good times, I've barely played in months so I decided to finally bite the bullet, pack up my estate and get ready to unsub. Might jump back in again depending on Dawntrail reception but I know the signs of MMO burnout and the post-EW content felt like going through the motions and where better to leave things than the expansion with End in the title?

Take a break, and come back if DT is bonkers amazing. Otherwise no harm in filling your time with better worthwhile stories.

Took a break for a year, and it felt really good. A game shouldn’t be a job.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What ever happened to the idea that since dawn trail is a new story, there would be a way to skip to it directly with a new character? Haven’t followed much if that ever got off the ground.

IMO my big worry with DT is that “here are some new horizons!!!1!” Feels very bland when simply presented like that. The trailer has, for me, given me the opposite effect of what a trailer should do, since it doesn’t really say anything, especially compared to all previous trailers and expansion.

But considering the strength of all the post ARR storylines, I feel confident despite what the trailer displayed. I’m just hoping we also get some new non scions party. The more we can leave these characters with the past storyline, the better.

E: I’m only at 6.3 so I got no clue if that’s what happens.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 7, 2024

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Thinking about it a bit more, I’m hoping we discover not just a new world, but a new cast of delightful characters. I would allow cameos from the old cast here and there when we sometimes check back on them at home base or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Kheldarn posted:

I think they should remove Soul Stones to add more slots for the Glamour Desser. They're really only required for the ARR Base Jobs. Just set a Job Unlocked flag.

Patch x.1
* soul stones are removed and are now a toggle shown in the character screen

patch x.2
* fixed characters permanently losing their access to a class when removing certain items slots from the glamour dresser (the new slot that was added still referenced some old code)