Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I haven't been doing the new stuff yet but in general the older stuff seems a bit easier after the squish. I'm seeing bosses die earlier than I ever used to last patch. I don't know if it's the squish, job changes, or reapers and sages being OP at lower levels.

Also I can't decide on a job to play through EW yet. I'll probably go with SMN though PLD, NIN, AST, and MCH are close behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Begemot posted:

Weirdly, I've noticed that alliance raids are harder, while 4-man dungeons are easier. I ran Void Ark earlier, and saw phases of those bosses I've never seen before.

I guess you could chalk that up to the high population of reapers who have no idea what they're doing, though :v:

Actually now that you mention it, I got in an Orbonne Monastery two nights ago and it took forever. I just chalked it up to the alliance not knowing the mechanics but it did seem to take extra long for some of the raid bosses to die. I wonder why that seems to take longer but leveling dungeon bosses seem to die easier?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just as an FYI and I know this has been mentioned before, but the Grand Company seals can now be spent on lockboxes to get random minions and mounts from either ARR+heavensward or stormblood for 20k seals a piece. To me at least it makes it worth rolling greed on a lot of stuff I was previously ignoring to hand in for seals.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been 1 on the queue for like 15 minutes now which seems weird.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

hazardousmouse posted:

Would the moogles shoot the lasers out their eyes, mouth, or rear end?

Yes

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

FWIW My bud who is super into the game and raiding and all of that stuff was telling me last week that DRK is still good and is the top damage dealing tank or something like that. I still haven't leveled mine yet so I should get on that sometime (but drat if WAR isn't super fun right now).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just had a LDR where I was tanking with my WAR and at the end the healer said 'BTW you do heal a bit excessively. It's mindful of you, but you could have gone a bit lighter on that :D'.

So in summary, WAR rocks.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some random job thoughts without paying any attention to DPS in raids or whatever:

SMN - Really love what they've done with this. Great effects and I'm having a blast playing it. I know it's considered 'easy' but I'm ok with that. I like that jobs are being designed for differing tastes and skill levels.

PLD - This is not unique to this job, but I feel like PLD really suffers by it's gimmick of being a holy magic caster being high level. I just kind of hate playing it in lower level content. The self sustain from holy spells feels like a great upgrade as does holy sheltron which is now amazing.

WAR - I just love most everything about this job now. The QoL changes were even better than I had hoped and Bloodwhetting has possibly become my new favorite all around ability for anyone. My only minor quibble is with orogeny being somewhat 'meh' in practice along with its weird 'my axe disappears and I punch everyone around me' animation. I just love the weight and feel of this class.

NIN - NIN has always been one of my favorite jobs so I'm biased, but something about it isn't quite clicking for me right now. I still love it at its core, but somehow the job just feels far more... disjointed than others. It's almost as if a lot of the abilities are just sort of tacked on things to make them relevant (like mug for instance). Hurajin is super convenient so I like it... but to me it seems like a band-aid for them just making Huton permanent or something. The whole 'switch to armor crush to extend but lose 20 potency' thing just doesn't really seem that interesting a mechanic to me anymore. Phantom Kamaitachi is really neat in theory, but it's something that is only useable once while bunshin is active at most every 90 seconds and so feels underwhelming to me compared to the cools toys other jobs are getting. I feel like NIN could be improved by having less done during trick attack and more done outside of trick attack, but that's probably a bit controversial with longtime NIN players who like that kind of gameplay. Also they added 3 buttons and took away 2 so I'm having difficulty fitting it in my old control scheme.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Can anybody hook me up with an updated level 70ish BLM rotation guide (single and AE)? I dont have any meters running or anything but I'm pretty sure I just did an embarassing amount of damage in the last doma castle instance I ran. I was level 68 trying to do something like:

single: B3->B4->T3->F4->F4->F4->F1->F4 until I run out then start over

not sure when to use firestarter and thunder procs? save triplecast or use asap?

AE: B3->T4->Freeze->F2 until I'm low then flare I guess?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

P-Mack posted:

That's basically it, use procs and instant casts for movement and to avoid clipping. Generally better to cast thunder between the two ice casts since if it's the last cast you might not get a mana tick before fire phase. Doesn't really matter.

New AOE rotation is B2-Freeze-F2x3-Flarex2. Do Thunder4 and Foul as ice filler or whenever you want, just keep the dot up and don't waste procs, use sharpcast on cooldown. It's much easier in EW.

Use Triplecast to get more uptime, blast packs while running to a pull, and never miss a gcd during bosses.

Advanced tech- use Triplecast, Swiftcast, Manafont, and an ether to cast 4 flares in 4 GCDs.

Thanks for this!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A tank that actually uses arms length is usually a good one.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chillgamesh posted:

Superbolide is great, it just got buffed in EW to last 10 seconds instead of 8 too. Just let your HP drop and then hit it at like 40-20%.

I remember healing a bardam's mettle once and the GNB was like 'Ok I am going to use superbolide on the first pull'. I thought, 'ok cool that was nice of him to give me a heads up'.

Then he pulls a ton of mobs and hits the button while still at 75% health. :ughh:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just wait until they increase trust xp like they did in shb.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanfy posted:

If you haven't done 'em, the Endwalker role quests for Healers are in large part about Fordola (and in a similar vein the Physical Ranged DPS ones touch upon the aftermath of the Yotsuyu situation in Doma).

Also summoner job quests I think?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bozja lockboxes were kind to me tonight with 2 pure white dyes and the mount. Got BLM to 76 and I am really enjoying it despite (or maybe because of) how difficult it is compared to SMN. The extra charge of triple cast, new AE rotation, and auto-enochian make a huge difference.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I really like BLM but certain fights make me want to immediately switch jobs. A good example is the last boss of the 81 dungeon. There is just so much movement that I hardly feel like I can do anything once my triplecast charges are gone.

For a lot of bosses in general it feels like 'hey you get to go through most of one rotation before all hell breaks loose'. Of course I'm learning and generally kind of bad, but I'm not sure what I can do besides scathe (lol) when fights call for non-stop movement at which time my dps craters.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm feeling super lazy today and have been considering buying the level jump for the RDM even though I'm enjoying many other jobs at the moment (so I probably won't).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Grayshift posted:

Quick thoughts on some various EW job changes.

Black Mage: A -> A (ShB -> EW)
Black Mage was already a brilliantly fun and rewarding rotation, and to their credit they decided not to mess with a good thing. Paradox and Amplifier are honestly kind of underwhelming, but the duration timers on buffs/Thunder really make the class a lot kinder. The real winner is the second charge of Triplecast, but I'm concerned seeing the kind of mobility they gave SMN (the 2nd boss of the level 90 MSQ dungeon comes to mind too) that constant movement is going to be a theme this expansion and even double Triplecast won't be enough.

Summoner: F -> C-
I did not click with ShB SMN at all. Nu-SMN is brilliantly flashy, ridiculously mobile and... where are all my buttons? This can't be the optimal rotation, right, it plays like a job synced below 60. It is? Oh. SMN could probably have stood to have more distinction between the Egi phases, or a DoT from the beforetimes or something. Job design feels like it needed another refinement pass to make it feel more rewarding to play right instead of just handing you Demis/Egis on a minute timer.

Yeah I was a little surprised at how they basically turned SMN into a physical ranged dealer with all of the instants. I love the flavor of the class and the animations are amazing, but I agree that it needs some spice and I kind of started to lose interest around 88-89. In general I think it's a good idea for them to have a wide variety of jobs as far as how frantic or chill they are, but the difference between high movement fights playing a SMN vs a BLM is crazy. Love the extra triplecast charge but crazy movement fights just feel super frustrating as BLM after the charges are gone and the SMN has no problems at all. If the trend is for greater movement (seems that way if you go through the leveling dungeons and look at stuff like bozja CEs) it may be a real problem that an extra charge of triplecast can't overcome.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NIN was always my favorite job but it seems kind of jumbled at the moment so I haven't even gotten it to 90 yet.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Clarste posted:

I also prefer upgrades to old abilities to new ones. Even ignoring the pain of adding new buttons to my bars, it just feels better to get better at the stuff I'm already doing. That's just me though.

Yeah I love the level 76 trait that upgrades Kassatsu to give you Goka Mekkyaku or Hyosho Ranryu. It didn't add any buttons but feels really fun and satisfying.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there a good listing of jobs most affected by ping issues? From the thread it sounds like MNK, GNB, MCH, maybe NIN.... and which others?

I admit I really like MCH...except for the hypercharge heat blast burst part since I don't particularly like the heat blast animation. I was kind of hoping for an upgraded version of heat blast / auto crossbow in EW. I'm also a little surprised they didn't switch over to a 'charge' based system like they did for WAR.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Finally finished the story and overall I loved it and it did a great job of wrapping things up. It's funny, I distinctly remember playing through the MSQ in ARR early on and thinking 'who are these people with their seemingly auto-generated names and why should I care about any of them'. I never would have guessed that years later I'd be playing through an epic story and actually caring for these characters enough to feel sentimental towards them and actually anxious about their fate (no crying for me though).

I then did the 90 tank role quest and.... well....meh. I've heard the others are better but it pales in comparison to the ShB role quest.

90 tank role spoiler:
So basically the elementals are dicks that ruined that kids life because he made an honest mistake and we are supposed to be really thankful for them despite this.... ok. Sure there was a little bit more characterization of Kan-e-senna but they could of at least given that dude with her a name. The uplifting moment when the citizens came to help kind of came out of nowhere and didn't really feel earned (and why would the elementals give a poo poo what a bunch of dirt farmers thought?). Also that final fight didn't really make any sense and somehow I passed it when it felt like the monster was wailing on her half the time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Harrow posted:

mfw

yeah he's generic but he's my WoL, even if his dumb hair clips with every cool coat

I finally gave my midlander male a haircut for this expansion to stop clipping into everything. I thought about using my fantasia, but I'm just so used to seeing my derpy face that it wouldn't seem right.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I found out tonight a WAR can pretty easily solo the 83 dungeon final boss, but it takes a long long time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've found a mechanic that somehow I keep getting worse at it every time I do it.

Level 90 dungeon spoiler

'Prance' ability of the final boss of the Dead Ends dungeon. I'm not quite sure why, but it seems like each time I get that instance in exdr I do worse at it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Vermain posted:

The boss will always do either a perfect diamond pattern, or a zigzagging Z-shaped pattern. For the former, simply run to the last spot he's going to land at and then run to where he started the pattern once that circle pops. For the latter, run to the last spot he's going to land at and then run into the second spot he landed at once its circle clears.

FuturePastNow posted:

The jumps themselves don't do any damage so you can just run straight for where the last jump will land, wait a second and run back to where the first one was after its aoe explodes

It's just a weird mental hangup I've had lately. I understand and yet still manage to screw it up somehow despite doing it fine the first several times I did it. Thanks for the tips though. I'm probably overthinking it and moving too early or something.

Badger of Basra posted:

for me this is (87 spoiler) when Hermes does his quadruple winds

Oh yeah this is a tricky one too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I mean, WAR is awesome but I don't exactly feel like PLD or GNB are struggling at all in dungeons either (though admittedly I have never parsed them for direct comparisons). DRK seems to struggle a bit with huge trash pulls but seems fine with bosses. Maybe WAR just has the best kit to compensate for everyone not having great gear yet?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah there's a post on reddit, apparently they're gonna push a balance pass before 6.1 and buff SAM, BLM, MNK, and DNC in it (lol mch)

What's wrong with MCH? I'm going to be leveling it to 90 for my physical ranged soon.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh ok, well MCH sounds like something that can be fixed with a few potency adjustments so I'm sure they'll get around to it sooner or later. I like a lot about MCH except for the hypercharge / heat blast spam part of it. I realize it's one of the key mechanics, but it just doesn't feel good to me (maybe it's just the swinging my gun like a sword heat blast animation).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Begemot posted:

I've been defensive of dark knight in this thread, but I ran into a situation tonight where any other tank probably would've been better.

I ran Tower of Zot as a monk, just wanted to get over the finish line to 84. The tank was an 83 DRK, other DPS was a synced RPR, and the healer was an 83 WHM. The healer had just started healing again and said he was rusty... we wiped to the first trash pull, the first boss two times, the second boss once, and the last boss three times before I left. After a couple incidents where the tank and healer died, leaving me to tank with breath of earth, they started single pulling. At one point the tank advised the healer to use lucid dreaming, and to stop using cure 3 so much.

I know the final boss is hectic, but the healer couldn't survive past 75% of it's HP, the first big AOE phase. I felt bad for leaving but it was just unbearable :negative:

I feel like the 3rd level 81 dungeon boss is harder than anything up until maybe the last boss of the 87 instance (maybe last boss of the 85 instance before you understand the key mechanic). That Blizzard is tough to dodge even once you understand the fight.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

hexwren posted:

re: bozja, I feel like I should go back there at some point, but...

I got there late by only finishing SHB after bozja hit, and so every time I tried to get into a party to do anything (necessary, I am Bad At Game) the party would inevitably break up after five or ten minutes as everyone left for Castrum, or the party would truck out into the later zones where I could not go, and I'd go back to base for another ten or twenty minutes until the next instanced encounter to link up with a party and repeat the process all over again.

everyone I tried to explain this to fell all over themselves to explain to me how easy the bozja grind was (most of the time their explanations were predicated on "running castrum," "being in later zones," or "having a party for a few hours," which, see above)

I can't remember the last time I went into bozja, and I've been stuck at rep level seven since dinosaurs roamed the earth

i also have extreme elixir syndrome about the items, especially since I have no idea which of any of them are worth using, but that's probably to be addressed after the whole "maybe get to level ten" thing

Everyone is leveling so it's actually hard to get people to do Castrum, or at least it was a couple weeks ago. Pre EW I used to get frustrated at everything shutting down whenever Castrum came up too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ok so I recently made 90 on BLM and do I just use Paradox to replace F1, or is there some other place to work it into the rotation? I'm not quite sure how to take full advantage of it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nice. I didn't realize in ice it was an instant. Thanks

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I love BLM but it is a definitely not a straightforward job. I'll be curious how they are going to adjust it in 6.08.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

HackensackBackpack posted:

I study creation magic
I love my classes
Got a crazy healer
Who wears dark glasses
Things are going great and they’re only getting better

I’m doin all right
Gettin upgrades
But this raid is so bright
I gotta wear shades

:discourse:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I got NIN to 90 and I am definitely a bit disappointed in Raiju. Is there even a point of putting fleeting raiju on your hotbar? It seems like the only difference is forked is a gap closer and fleeting is melee, but forked will work fine in melee range as well.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ahh ok, well that's interesting but still a little disappointing. I'll hotkey them both for now but I'm gonna have to give something the boot (probably bloodbath).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So now that I've played NIN at level 90 for a bit my thoughts are that I still love this class, but it has become a bit too cluttered and I feel like I'm doing a crapload of work to attempt to compete against many other DPS jobs. Most jobs are like 'hit button, get buff' but NIN is all like 'do mudras to land Suiton on target, hit Meisui to absorb Suiton to raise ninki gauge (make sure not to waste if gauge is already over 50!) to buff Bhavacakra, and then hit Bhavacakra which now has an extra 100 potency. Like, that's not BAD or anything, but it is an awful lot of work to go through for an extra 100 potency. It's the same kind of thing with the new Hollow Nozuchi ability that effectively adds an extra 50 potency to many AE attacks (specials and one half of the 2 part AE combo) but requires everything to stay stacked in it (please increase Doton size yoship).

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing a very busy and challenging job at times, but looking at FF logs it doesn't really seem like the payoff is there. I know NIN was sort of called out as a job that 'needs a bit of adjustment so I guess we'll see, but I feel as a job it may be next in line for some sort of revamp.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Macaluso posted:

The thing that DOES feel really clunky though are Grim Swathe and Guilloitne. I hate that they require you to have an enemy targeted to be able to use it. Why doesn't it just do the attack in front of you and whatever it hits, it hits? I mean the tooltip literally says "all enemies in a cone before you" which to me would imply just whatever is on front of you. But the fact that you have to target something means a lot of times I'll be going to do those attacks and nothing will happen because the enemy that's targeted is like slightly to the side of me or something.

I think this is every cone attack. It's been a WAR complaint forever.