Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Leal posted:

Hey so uh, to any red mages doing the 89 trial... maybe don't use disengagement. Especially if you're doing it with trusts, as hitting the edge will completely reset the fight

Now that Displacement and Engagement are the same potency and unlock at the same level I'm never ever going to use Displacement again, style be damned.

Also, hello main FFXIV thread! I'm caught up to content so I finally feel comfortable here! Hope everyone's been having as good a time as I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For favorite dungeon: It's hard to choose between the 87 and the 90 ones. I like the "extra lore" dungeons though, so maybe The Dead Ends pulls ahead, cause not only does it show you what all these alien civilizations were up to (and that meant lots of new assets) but you get to read even more about them and there's lots of weird cool hidden details if you look deeper at it all.

For general area: Probably a bit trite but Ultima Thule just for that music. If not that, then Thavnair for its vibe. I didn't really look up much about this expansion before it came out so I wasn't expecting to go to fantasy India but I'm very glad I did.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I queue for every roulette except Main Scenario. Even without lowering my ilevel I get Crystal Tower more than anything else. Sure maybe someone else could find that boring but I'm The Patient Gamer so I'll put up with just about anything.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I will say Guildhest Roulette is hype for getting past the 10-15 level hump :)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Italics is my mechanical favorite of the alliance raid sets.

loving Italics as an autocorrupt name

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hi, I'm new to MMOs and Bard was my first class and currently only class at 90. I started playing this year so I can't speak to any older versions of the class, but I personally think that it's much, much better than it was before. I like AOE being a real thing rather than janky DOT application that made me want to just spam Quick Nock and nothing else. I like the songs lasting longer and I like the buffs affecting myself now. The DOTs not applying to the songs anymore might seem weird but mechanically it's only an advantage. You get procs in AOE situations, and procs when bosses are in phase transitions, so I'll take a loss of "synergy" for an advantage like that.

Now, just because I think it's better doesn't mean I'm right. Well, I'm right to myself, but I can also understand where the complaints are coming from. I think that the changes make the class more fun to play. Maybe it's "weaker", but as long as it's able to be in a party that can beat hard content doesn't that not really matter? I dunno. I'm only offering my own perspective. Sometimes I regret picking up a class that really needs you to be hitting buttons frequently as all get-out, but it's helped me learn how to play this game more effectively.

Long story short, I'm having fun.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

it was super weird to me they never added a Bane skill for bard, especially after they added Shadowbite, an AoE attack that did more damage to targets with dots

As a note I'm pretty sure old Shadowbite only cared if the initial target had dots and did that amount of scaling damage to anyone around them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Did you delete all their HMs?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

good news: i narrowed down what final 3 triple triad npcs i have to beat in order to get the 107 unique npcs achievement

bad news: i have to do all of ixal, vath, and vanu vanu dailies

you will learn to love the buggos and birbs and other birbs

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I will be an Au Ra Male and I'm not going to let anyone make me feel bad for it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I want to do Eureka but purely for content unlocks, and I'm hoping I can get some like-minded friends together for it down the line. It's one of those things where the mood needs to strike just right.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Nope, I only fat finger them and feel bad about it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

I haven’t really paid any attention to how much EXP the 50-80 roulette gives for leveling, is it worthwhile?

It's fourth-best, I think (ignoring Main Scenario), after leveling, alliance, and trial.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Apologies for disregarding Frontlines, I just loathe PvP in any shape or form it takes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Awesome! posted:

i believe it is /hotbar copy job bar# job bar#

where first set is what you are copying from and 2nd set is what you are copying to

replace with /chotbar for controller, that's important

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Huh, I didn't realize it was a curable doom in that way. I usually get got by that attack because it's really hard to tell if a butterfly is facing you or not :eng99:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

...I should probably turn on whatever setting makes ground rings appear on enemies you aren't targeting.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Arist posted:

This game kind of has a problem with the Doom status in particular. Depending on where you are, you need to figure out which of three different ways to clear it is necessary: step on a glowing platform (Sunken Temple of Qarn, World of Darkness), heal to full (Wanderer's Palace (Hard), 90 MSQ dungeon), or just Esuna it (Dun Scaith). It's not too hard to figure out once you understand it (if it's not Esuna-vulnerable and there's no platforms to cleanse it, heal to full), but it's pretty strange.

My impression was that sometimes Doom just isn't curable and it's a penalty for failing the mechanic but I guess if that were the case it would probably just not mince words and kill you outright huh.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

For prance I try to find the third jump, wait there at the border of the first jump for it to explode, and then head into the first jump's new safe zone while trying to skirt the border of the second jump.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The trick is to find the exact right time to cast Cure III right after a Stack Marker hit resolves or something. If I do it too late everyone runs away before I can cast it and I feel like a giant dunce

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

derra posted:

Why aren't Holy / Holyga fast casts? This is so dumb.

Also mad about this.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Aren't all of the weapons doors? I feel like every oversoul they did was a "reset the limit gauge" situation. Also if you got past the button mashing in Seat of Sacrifice you could start the fight from after it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Lyyyyyse, Lyyyyyse, she's better than bad, she's good!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Interesting conversation.

As a healer I think I panic a bit when I see tank HP dropping quickly. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but as a White Mage I tend to throw out whatever oGCDs I have access to whenever I feel like they wouldn't get the tank to full HP. Why save them? I also don't tend to use Benediction, though. I'm still dropping out of that "use it or lose it" mindset when it comes to seriously big cooldowns like that. It kept me from using Presence of Mind before its adjustment, too, though I still sometimes forget. I think the point I'm trying to make is that playing it safe in dungeons is okay, because who knows how good your allies are going to be?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I know that Presence of Mind is for DPS. What I do in dungeon pulls starting out is usually, when the person starts their pull, use Regen and Benison on them, then slam Aeros/Dias at the mobs as we're running to the next one. When the packs merge, use Dia one last time, do Assize, Swiftcast, and then Holy. Then re-establish Regen for my next GCD while they're still stunned, along with throwing down one of Asylum or the Wings ability, and then holy spam till I need to heal. It's the "need to heal" part that kind of kills me because Holy is a full 2.50 cast and you can't avoid clipping if you need to do something else.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I mean, if they've already hit the mobs and gained their emnity, Regen isn't hurting anyone, right? In my experience I haven't been slapped by mobs all that often doing this method. And if it does happen it's basically taken care of by Assize anyway.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

You could try the birdhead gear that I use with my suzaku weapon. Level 86 buyable for gil helmet for casters.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I was lucky and had a friend that was basically obsessed with PotD and he kind of dragged me kicking and screaming down to floor 50.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

honestly the emote image of playdead is worth much more than the actual act of using it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I wonder if trusts would allow you to do dungeons as a Blue Mage... that could be a good solution for those who don't want to gather the resources to solo them, along with those who get anxious about using PF for it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Gobbeldygook posted:

??? mighty guard, basic instinct, pom cure, aetherial manipulation, gobskin, sonic boom, and almost every dungeon boss is GG synced. every new attack spell you learn makes the next dungeon/trial a little easier.

I'm not saying it's not easy if you want to put in the effort, I'm saying that people do not want to put in the effort. I've played with BLUs gathering spells from trials and raids, I know.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Aurum Vale I heard is pretty fast to BLU through, but I can't speak from experience. I'll probably re-sub and mess around with it when I know the actual date of 6.1's launch.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Missile is probably one of the more annoying ones to get because people don't bother doing Hildibrand to unlock Battle at the Big Keep (for shame!) and the only other source is one of the Omega Raids - a 20 level difference, and much more of a threatening fight to boot.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

If you really are speaking earnestly and not being a troll, then I will simply say that I don't get what's so bad about job quests? They tell unique stories, they have compelling characters, and they let you do something without relying on other people being around. Like someone else said, they are Content. And also, if you don't like the job, then why level it? For the achievement reward? Titles? You clearly have other tanks at 90 so it's not for the sake of role quests, which was the only reason I touched GNB despite tanking being my least favorite thing to do. And you aren't doing it because it's something you want to learn for raids, either. What's up?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The only times I've ever done Praetorium or CM since the first time I did them was when friends of mine were also doing it for the first time. I want to play the game, so I never do MSQ roulette. Though I am looking forward to seeing how it changes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

And yet it doesn't unlock until you've gotten WHM as an option.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm Oschon, and I'm fine with it not really mattering unless you want to spice up the lore.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Wait GARO is PvP only? Well, guess I'm not getting it then

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I have basically never ever liked a competitive game, overall. Sometimes I can have fun with it like in Splatoon's early days or such but I'm here primarily to cooperate with players rather than compete with them. No matter how low the stakes or how easy it would be to get something. It's not why I play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

more Glamour PLATES this patch, more Glamour Dresser space later.