Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zenos sucks but is also cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If it's like most of the other promotions they've done, there will be an alternate way to get the emote later that's at least a little less obnoxious.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Please enjoy playing Endwalker in blissful ignorance right up to the point where you go :monocle:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Popoto posted:

You are gonna know the absolute nanosecond what zone five is the moment there’s even a small whiff of a hint for it. And you’ll know because your face will go :aaaaa:

Actually in my case, when I got there I was sure this was going to be a solo duty or something and I did a :monocle: for real when the zone title popped up and I realized the crazy bastards had made an entire area out of it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I wait an hour and a half to get to under 1000 in the queue. Then it disconnects, but when I try to reconnect the data center doesn't respond. The second try works but by then I'd lost my spot.

That's just... really lovely. :( I can deal with 3001 errors not letting me queue at all but kicking me out of line because of connection issues on their end, while I can't even use my TV for hours because I have to act fast if I get disconnected again, sucks.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp. That would have been a nice chunk of cash to start the expansion with.

The ex trials are both cool but the spinning map mechanic still breaks my brain even when I know exactly what it's going to do.

And I forget if it was this way in ShB too, but gatherer leves boost you *insanely* fast. Like three to four leves will level you up, and since there aren't even HQ gathers any more they're even easier than they used to be.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The opening act of the Endwalker is definitely not strong enough to be an entire expansion on its own, and would either feel badly padded or would have needed a completely different setup pre-EW to work that way. (83 trial spoilers) and as hype as we've been to fight Zodiark since ARR, the events of Shadowbringers made it clear that killing Big Z is an incredibly terrible idea and could not have worked as an ending. Which is why Dan forced our hand.

I'm really enjoying the quieter version of Flow the more I hear it. It's just so comfy.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Waiting on the all-summoner gimmick run of the first level 90 alliance raid. Overdwellers bow down (because nobody will be able to see the mechanics)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just rez whatever fool fell down if you aren't busy making the tank not die. Or let the rdm do it. No need for macros.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I've not even seen the Chi fate yet because people on my server keep killing it at weird times of day.

I was somehow able to jump through instance congestion to get a gold win on the guy in Thavnair though. Maybe he has mechanics but he went down so fast he only got to do like three things.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I absolutely loved the part where all your friends come into your room with a bunch of food and your WoL and all their friends are talking and eating. I loved the little bit with Graha and Alisae with their burgers

This was an exceptionally good cutscene. That, the dinner with the rest of the Scions, and the hug were highlights of the expansion imo. Just wonderful humanizing moments to help keep you grounded between dealing with cosmic conflicts.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I would be happy if the 6.x patches were nothing more high stakes than a romp around the world, looking for shiny new dresses to wear, strange new gods to kill, and even bigger fish to catch.

There will probably be some big fancy story hook, but there's a lot of potential places one could lead to.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Staggy posted:

My favourite line in the expansion comes in the cutscene after the final dungeon/before the final trial.

Zenos rocks up, takes one look at the Endsinger, and goes "But why does it still live? Surely it is no match for you."

That one line, to me, says more about that idiot's opinion of you than almost anything else in the entire game.

I took that line as partially sincere and partially an attempt at a friendly jab, showing that Zenos has actually exhibited a tiny little bit of growth. It was a really good line regardless.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

jimmydalad posted:

So I understand why they are releasing the Island Sanctuary. After all the poo poo he's been through, my WOL really wants a place to just gently caress off and not be disturbed for once.

That's kind of my plan. Just retire to the farm until the plot starts again, then they can summon me forth like I'm Fantasy Cincinnatus or something.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

z6 shout chat is a non stop trash fire. Tying a cool mount to a world FATE with a random 36-72 hour cooldown with heavily congested servers full of gamers was a mistake.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onean posted:

It's funny you say that, because in this case everyone fucks up the unobvious mechanics the first time they see them except Y'shtola. She shouts she can see the aether and adjusts.

Also the trusts assign themselves spread positions but don't tell you, so Urianger managed to murder me by chasing me with his AoE. Luckily when you do the fight with trusts it gives you a few freebie stacks where the healers are allowed to rez you before the fight resets. Unless you touch the edge, anyway.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Probably a dumb question, but since shield healing is the thing I've done the least: there's no point trying to keep E.Diagnosis up on the tank at all times right? Just when they're gathering trash or for a tank buster if Haima isn't available for some reason?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devor posted:

I just did the quest that gives you a Chocobo battle buddy pet, wasn't expecting that!

Are these basically mercenaries from Everquest? Is there any point in not using them for farting around in PvE where they're usable?

If I'm a DPS class (Dragoon) is any of the single player content balanced around him needing to be a healer/tank, or can I just make him a damaging dude to speed things up?

You never *need* a chocobo out for single player overworld stuff but it helps, especially after you train them up with a few healer levels and they can Choco Cure you. And there's really no reason not to have your bird buddy out in places they can be out.

Their tanking ability is pretty trash, and only useful for sometimes interrupting an attack with a stun. Even as a healer you can easily steal hate off a chocobo tank.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 14, 2021

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Devor posted:

So it's not a class-either-or thing with Chocobos, you can splash some healing, some damage?

Yep. And eventually you can max them out in all three roles, and they can use all the abilities from each. Though some people argue that you shouldn't get that last healer level due to the AoE heal being a hps loss while solo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TGLT posted:

While I haven't done any extreme shield healing yet, I think that's the idea yeah. In boss fights you wanna primarily rely on your various gall heals, like Kerachole, with zoe + E.Diagnosis when it's up or when you need to provide room for the regen effects to work. I've seen some people say Haima + E.Diagnosis shields stack, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be they keep the Haima buff so that'll kick in for you when the first E.Diagnosis shield breaks.

I think E.Diagnosis is better for single hit tankbusters while Haima works better if it's going to be a multi-hit. Same with E.Prognosis and panhaima for raid-wides.

Thanks, that's more or less what I thought!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

Have you done all the shared fate farming? I'm getting a shitload of levels out of these and I haven't even finished one zone to 60 yet.

Are the gem shops complete on their inventory? Or do they add more later? I know ShB had way more to buy than you'd earn capping all the zones

iirc in Shadowbringers some things were added to the gem shops over the course of the 5.x patches.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, the various shields stack. We can stack Haima and Panhaima too, doing so saved my bacon once in T2Ex when we went in to a repeated stack aoe with 4 people alive and I managed to come out the other end alive with LB3 available.

Good to know that "PUSH EVERY BUTTON" is a valid strat in oh poo poo situations, as opposed to half your stuff stepping on the toes of the other half.

I'm also positive there's some actual use for the Rescue + Icarus position swap, but I couldn't say what it is. The funny applications for it are much more apparent.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Friendly advice to people just now getting to 89-90 in the story:

When you get to the final zone, turn off shout chat entirely if you care even a little bit about story or ambiance. All the people with terminal gamer brains waiting on a world FATE may sour the experience for your otherwise.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Warrior is absolutely beastly right now with both self sustain and burst damage on demand, and their level 90 is one of the most satisfying buttons in the game to push. Be a warrior, you won't regret it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Insert Gary Oldman EVVVERRRRYYONE gif here

Except Alexander. The guy couldn't take 5 minutes of his infinite time loop to hop over and help?

I mean, Alexander has effectively removed itself from play more totally than anybody other than the Ascians that got auracite'd. It'd be kinda weird if it just kinda woke up on its own now. Roundrox's crew does drop off some presents if you've completed the Alex raids though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nibble posted:

(Final trial spoilers)
Zenos arrives. You start to summon your trial-mates. The screen fades in, you're hurtling through space. You're hype as gently caress because you know this is it, this is The End.

Then the music kicks in, and the first thing you hear is loving BEEF SOFT TACOS.

The Worm's Tail at 150%, into the Final Fantasy Overture, into Ultima while keeping the same key and instrumentation, is just magnificently hype. Especially as a direct follow up to Zenos rushing the stage. If there's anything that makes Endcaller less than perfect as a final boss theme for 2.0-6.0 it's that it doesn't have any more Worm's Tail after the opening.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Do any of the role quests actually lean into what role they're supposed to be about? I found that the tank one didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the tank role at all and felt more like a healer role quest until the final solo duty (which, admittedly, was pretty fun I thought).

The melee role quests are less about being a puncher specifically and more about being a squad commander I guess?

I've only done a few of the healer quests but the theme seems to be providing therapy to somebody who's needed it for a long time.

Tank wasn't really about being a tank at all, yeah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

theironjef posted:

The Tank role quest series was aggressively boring, but I didn't have high hopes since it was working with Kan-E-Sanna and the Padjal. The most interesting that's ever happened with those dorks is wondering if A-Ruhn-Senna has weird eyes under his stupid bangs.

Seriously does Kan-E-Senna ever do anything but pray to trees, get real tired of praying to trees, then get the soul power to pray to trees even harder?

Sometimes she gets drunk on bean beer.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The most deadly boss in EW is the croc-man hunt in z5. Been a long time since I've seen an entire hunt train get obliterated by an A rank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also worth noting since it can be hard to tell from a screenshot, but the lamps glow a bit. It's a very pink barding!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My queue was only 1300 instead of 3200. The planet is healing.

Infidel Castro posted:

Sounds like the Gorilla in Raktika

No comparison, especially since I can't even remember what the gorilla does so it can't have been so bad.

(are hunt target mechanics spoilers? whatever, feel free not to click if you like being surprised) The one in z5 does a spin move, but every time it turns 90 degrees it does a gently caress Everybody to the Right Punch or a gently caress Everybody to the Left Punch, alternating with each turn. Not too awful to avoid if you know what is about to happen. Very few people there did.

The two A ranks in Labrynthos are decent runners up for Meanest EW A Rank but this dude just had a hilarious amount of blood on his hands in seconds.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We will never escape the ghost of 1.0.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What mechanic am i missing in the last tank role quest? How do i prevent that final wipe mechanic?

Are you using Interject to interrupt the flashing cast bar?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Algid posted:

The hints outside the log are giant glowing orbs you stand on to /lookout.

Unfortunately, as obvious as they are when you see them, it's incredibly hard to just stumble across all of them without needing to use an outside guide.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

iirc there's a trophy for getting them all, but nothing special in game which is kind of a shame.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The 85 dungeon sage weapon looks pretty cool but it it's bold enough that it may be hard to work into an existing glamour.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah the Cryptlurker ones work well with my glam.

I also like the ones from Dohn Mheg, and there's a crafted set with some purple effects that look good. Can't remember the name.

I think it's the 81 crafted wings. They're kind of a nice understated look with purple gems.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sage is cool and fun, though I'll probably never get the absolute maximum output from it since I'm not exactly a "think three steps ahead" kind of gamer. Luckily the prep work for most content is pretty straightforward and extremely effective. One thing to watch out for is getting too used to Kerachole having a regen, since when you sync down it'll stop doing that.

I have to admit I'm kind of curious how the "don't you dare ever dps as a healer" genre of tank players will react to sage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kazy posted:

I just like the Gundam wings. :v:

Also, give us a Sage mount that'll let us fly using the Nouliths. Perma-holos.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lili_mdoki/status/1468876727648944134?t=9yzZsUC9rOV71DILEGKNqw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pyro Jack posted:

Got ROG to 30 and unlocked NIN and did Satasha as an ARC so I could use Roulettes with it. I certainly did not expect that I ran into probably the most weirdest tank I've encountered.

Basically, the tank didn't respond in chat, moved in an incredibly janky manner, only use the single target attacks and even then, if it wasn't actually standing around while the rest of the party did the actual fighting. The only explanation was that it was a bot or something which is a rare thing to see considering it had an actual (but silly) name instead of a string of random letters and the fact that it showed up on a Duty at all. Anyway, the rest of the party (including me) voted the tank out and got another one that was an actual player and knew how to Tank. We've pretty much breezed past through Satasha with ease thanks to him.

Could be a bot, but also occasionally it's somebody's five year old that they dropped into a dungeon to keep the kid occupied while they take a smoke break.