Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'm in a server with someone who just logged in and dinged 90 so something's fucky. I still get the "A technical issue has occured" even if I close and re-launch the launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rebooted, was able to log in. Perhaps it was ghosts?

Well, get into the queue anyway, which is 'only' 642 :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Post-game rewards question: Argos seems to haul rear end across Mor Dhona. Is he bugged or something? Did they increase flight speed in the old world ARR zones?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I did my first dungeon as Sage! It was horrible, and I don't know how these buttons work, is there a rotation guide floating around? I figured it can't be that much more complex than AST. Perhaps I was wrong.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If we go to the New World I would expect visual/design similarity to Native American cultures but past that, who knows. I suspect Koji Fox can at least keep them from committing any massive story-level fuckups.

I also would not be surprised if we do not go there for that very reason though. :v: Meracydia seems to have been more foreshadowed anyway, and while it's sort of "Africa/Australia" based purely on location I believe the established inhabitants were Sephirot's summoners and dragons, neither of whom map much to RL cultures.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I mean I have the complaint that (spoilers for all EW) all the plot is motivated by people being stupid, whether Hermes or Meteion or Venat or space civilizations but something tells me that's not what they meant
Seems like a strange complaint. I mean, they do make bad decisions, arguably, seen from an objective and external viewpoint, but they make them for comprehensible reasons. Venat is probably the 'least' comprehensible and that's more because of an abstract cutscene confusing people, I expect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Re: the 87 spoilers above I hope they can spare a few hundred yen to buy colors other than "mud" for the place if we're gonna be doing world fight stuff there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hellioning posted:

He used his carbuncles to power his bits actually.

So either his carbuncle is dead or it is now a gun.
The ghost Lalah with the fin funnels, but it's the Carb

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

General Products Tanking Tip for the Holiday Season: You should also try using Arms' Length on the big pulls. Unless that doesn't work any more.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

I like the Scions' quaint old outfits, except for the twins, who never should have been dressed alike
Isn't that literally because they couldn't afford, at the time, to budget a second model for Alisaie?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drat that rules.

Is there a basic overview for SMN? I was thinking of levelling it and realized I literally did not play it throughout all of Shadowbringers. It's good now? Titan's rear end?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Begemot posted:

It's okay, damage is a little low compared to the old version, but it's also much easier to play.

Basically you go between two phases, one where you summon different flavors of carbuncle (and later on, small primals) to get special instant-cast spells. Every 60 seconds you can use aethercharge (and later, summoning demi-Bahamut and Phoenix) which gives you stronger normal spells to cast (or more instant-cast spells with the demi-egis, plus nukes and heals).

You basically just switch between different spells to spam, most of them instant-cast. The egi summons gets more involved, but not until like level 86.

cheetah7071 posted:

just hit a training dummy for a bit and you'll grasp it immediately. I dunno what it plays like at very low levels, but at least from level 50+, it's

aethercharge/dreadwyrm trance/summon bahamut/summon phoenix (these are all the same button) to enter a phase where ruin is good. Then you get charges to enter garuda/titan/ifrit phases (colored carbuncles at low levels, then egis, then at level 90 the real thing). There's another button, gemshine I think, which is better than ruin during this phase, and you get a limited number of uses per primal before it kicks you out, at which point you summon the next primal. Somewhere in the 80s, the deathflare button starts doing something in ifrit/garuda/titan, so press it too. Use ruin as filler after the primal phases end but before the 60s cooldown on summon bahamut or whatever is back up.
Thanks holmes, I did a little savage in Omega before life meant I couldn't play with my old team and I was pretty good, but I knew it was completely different now (no dots?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dear Fellow Goons, is it actually possible to set your retainer to be a class such as Astrologian or Reaper, or is this actually impossible? I have a copy of modern vocation but this is three times now that I think I've just reset the retainer's job and it's very frustrating. The guides do not make sense to me.

Can someone outline the exact steps I need to take to get a retainer to take on a class job? And if it's impossible to do for the post-ARR jobs, just say so because all the guidance seems to suggest you can, except that when I try to follow it I just wipe the job progress, whatever it was.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

They need to be above level 50 for HW and StB jobs. Above level 60 for Shadowbringers jobs. Dunno about EW jobs.
Ah I see, I just shot my bolt too soon on this one, I thought you could do it at 30 for AST since that's when you can grab AST

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

In addition to this, they can't also already have a job. Which is annoying, my combat retainer still isn't 90 after I reset them to make them a reaper. Taking that nerd longer to hit 90 than it took me to get everything to 90. But then I am not really doing... anything at all to expedite that process since I don't want to babysit a retainer.
So you were able to successfully get a retainer onto Reaper?

If I understand it, the sequence of events is

1. Grind it up to 50/60/(70? 80?) in some job or other - will Miner work?
2. Use the change job interface -- this part I am a little unclear about because I stripped off all the gear and clicked "change class" but did not see an option to change to a job, though it's possible I had no copy of Modern Vocate when I tried this
3. select new job, re-dress the retainer

I did have the retainer up to like in the 60s once when I tried step 2, but I don't remember if I had Modern Vocations on hand or not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Has to be a combat class to level 70 for reaper. I don't remember the exact process for it because I did it a couple of months ago but I had to reset from sam down to a base class (I picked rogue) and then relevel that to 70 to make it a reaper. There should be an assign the retainer a job button somewhere, maybe under change class. I should also note that when you change the job, it resets the retainer back to level 1 so I had to level my dumb reaper nerd from 1 to... 88 or 89 I think they are now.
OK so I gotta do it on SMN but that's doable. I probably hosed it up the first time I tried... thank you goon sire, five golden mogs 4 u

e: Christ I'm an idiot! I must have put the retainer to SMN successfully once already! I guess I'm why the market board strategy is bad.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Are there any nonPVP-related rewards, like xp and such, if you do this thing with a class under 90? You guys are making it sound like TF2 but - and I underline this - in FFXIV, and with somewhat fewer people using voicechat to say memes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I feel like perhaps doing CC with AST is not the best use of my time. But the allure of levelling while I play...

Of my other classes, I have BLM, SMN and DNC below 90 yet still high enough that I kind of remember how to play them. Are any of them OP? I also have WHM of course, but that's its own thing, from what I can tell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ultra quick Garo mount question: Do the necessary match victories require it to be in ranked CC, or can it be unranked CC?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I have heard rumors that Eureka is now approachable solo... is this true? Even if there is no fate train or I want to try to do it in little chunks instead of being On The Train for six hours?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does the demolition timer apply to apartments?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Well, consider me sold. The fact that paid outfits are not piece-meal means I'll never get one.
This isn't entirely true, but if you mean in the sense that outfits aren't sold chunk by chunk.

Most outfits come with a couple of pieces and they're usually simpler/all covering for the 'NPC's distinct costume' outfits. There are also things like demon wings and horns, fairy wings, butler/maid, etc. which tend to have three or four pieces, which you can use to mix and match.

That said, everything other than a few really specific looks is present in the models available through gameplay. Even the 2B outfit that makes your rear end bigger is a free drop (if in the paid parts of the game.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Xun posted:

Honestly, I rarely ever see any of the paid outfits out in the wild. There are a ton of awesome pieces already in the game so I feel like most players just don't bother with the paid ones.

Also as a matter of personal taste I think most of them look way out of place or only good for cosplaying NPCs
I have a couple of them but it's like a yukata and I think whatever set has the cheongsam in it, and that's just 'OK, I wanted a cheongsam.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

It does kinda feel like a pro wrestling angle- “I just need to keep fighting you in specific, I’ll even help you get rid of this other idiot so we can do this.”
I think some of the idea here is Zenos embraces, for want of a better term, positive nihilism - he has realized, truly and profoundly, what he wants, and he responds to Alisaie's challenge with self-reflection and a determined and deliberate choice. Now he himself wants to have another climax super-stylish battle with you, the Warrior of Light, and not anything else. So he immediately takes the route that facilitates him achieving that goal in the most straightforward and reasonable way. Which turns out to be profoundly helpful instead of interfering, if with a cost AFTER you've saved the cosmos. Literally nothing else matters to him. But he's doing the same kind of thing you're doing - in the face of despair, you and the other Scions are basically like, 'nah, I still find meaning.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine they would get a C&D on the billboard and if this was a first attempt the FC or its lead or whoever might get contacted. I don't think they're going to organize a text tools witch hunt or anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Control Volume posted:

You're laughing. These poor ERPers are going to get pwned by a powerful corporation and you're laughing
I think of it as seizing the means of reproduction from the fat-catgirl housing combines

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vitamean posted:

gotta use that gil for something

alternate puritanical response: how do you know what a reasonable price for ERP is?
Asked OP's mom

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So speaking of mi'qote trafficking, what's the news about the data center visiting? I'm not surprised it was a poo poo show, but is it a case of "we're going to gradually turn it back on" or is it hosed up hardcore?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mikemil828 posted:

Apparently 15,000 people per minute for some reason were trying this out at 3 in the morning. They said they were “gradually open this feature as we monitor the situation.”
Is it still turned off then or are the spigots open, just very small?

And yeah they should know drat well they're going to get fifteen thousand weirdos trying to slam-jam literally anything that happens when they come up, at this point

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Someone ask that tweeter if the person was named 'Raven' because I think this may be a glorious conquest of my alt-FC who I intend to go hang out with on my main if DC travel unfucks itself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In terms of legal poo poo, their biggest issue was probably putting the Official Game Logo and also the datamined/modded model on the drat thing.

In terms of weirdness, doing this on some arbitrary highway billboard in Houston, Austin, and somewhere in Cali is somehow weirder than doing it in Times Square or Vegas or some poo poo where it would just be a high roller vanity message, like no doubt many others.

e: Looking at the Times Square thing, the Inanis ad was also less than $700 for 24 1-minute showings apparently. That's remarkably cheap. We could put up an ad there! You'd only need 80 new regs to make your nut.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 7, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think a few people felt real deeply betrayed by the themes and story beats in Endwalker and I also think those people have at this point moved on to their future endeavors, in which the Warrior of Light Federation wish them well.

This cycle will probably repeat itself in FFXIV 7.0: Pay Pig Panic, in which the game goes full tilt Manderville.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I tried out data center travel, seemed to work fine at least at this hour.

Are there secret protocols for joining Goons as a foreigner?

Can you do maps on other people's servers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Is Gridania the drop-off point for all DC travel, or is it based on your starting city (I started Archer)?
I ended up in Ul'dah so I'm pretty sure it just uses your starting city, possibly as a way to more or less balance the load.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You got to put in time in grade, holmes, maybe after 10 years they can start talking about Major.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zomborgon posted:

Our entire military "career," such as it is, is pretty weird. It's nominally an experimental squad, hence why we get to be promoted well above our actual command size, and all the personnel are raw recruits trained internally for special operations.

If anything it seems like someone's pet project that's ready to lead a coup.
It does feel vaguely vestigial, like a lot of things from ARR that were sort of vaguely like Warcraft, except of course they didn't go anywhere near hard enough to build up tribal identities, and had three to begin with anyway. Now there's like ten polities the WoL could probably settle in and be hailed as a welcome guest and honorary assistant mayor.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine the island sanctuary is going to do the same trick the inn room does, where technically there's only one instance of it, or I guess like 2 or 3 if it's crowded.

I guess that might be harder to do since it sounds like it will be possible to set things up there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

SettingSun posted:

The previews of the island sanctuary make it sound like a solo version of a Eureka map with Harvest Moon mechanics. They also explicitly pointed out that the gardening done there is not at all like estate gardening.
What the hell would Hand/Land Eureka even look like...

Wrangling???

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I figure if you are still not hitting your cooldowns reliably, out of ignorance or choice paralysis, you will be better served hitting them suboptimally than letting them sit on your bar.

Once you are hitting them reliably then you start worrying about how to time them optimally. (Intro level: Don't blow them at the tail end of a pack!)

THEN - then you start worrying about lining up with other people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"Ryne! The slurp juices!"