Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Clearly god is smiting them for the 35% of their communities that got vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

high MRMS rotation is a warning from god about being gender fluid

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
The Amazon facility in my town got tore in half and that's the only damage we got. God says gently caress Bezos.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

My neighbor thinks the government is controlling weather with something called HAARP. I can’t wait to hear his take on this.

Is your neighbor a former governor? A Navy SEAL?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Bad Purchase posted:

high MRMS rotation is a warning from god about being gender fluid

imagine a tornado sucking out all your gender fluids

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Bending over and firing out machine gun turds at the tornado to get sucked up and swirl around shredding and spreading the poo poo wherever the tornado goes

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

imagine a tornado sucking out all your gender fluids

haha, oh no, haha. could you describe it? haha

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Clearly god is smiting them for the 35% of their communities that got vaccinated.

The vaccinated made particularly destructive debris given the plutonium in their vaccimplants. :rip:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this poo poo is crazy. ive been reading and watching videos about tornados for most of life but ive never seen anything like this scale of destruction in the footage. its really horrifying

i mean i know there were large outbreaks in the past where more people were killed like the one in 1920, but that was in an era before radar and the kinds of warning systems that exist now. im not sure they even had sirens back then.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They're covidnados now

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Mooey Cow posted:

I'd never let a piece of swirling air suck me off!

more for me! i wonder if there are people that got sucked 30k feet in the air or what. that's insane. wonder where they will land.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
CAT5 tornado sucked me off?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

tornadoes have terrible eyesight so if you remain perfectly still it wont notice you

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they should build homes that have wheels so when the tornado comes you can just move out of the way

id call them mobile homes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They should build underground or dirigible homes instead

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

EorayMel posted:

Bending over and firing out machine gun turds at the tornado to get sucked up and swirl around shredding and spreading the poo poo wherever the tornado goes

The oil companies really ought to be selling how climate change is good because it allows for more opportunities to pinch a loaf and have it lofted over 30,000 feet into the air.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

God gives His biggest tornadoes to His toughest warriors.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Listen pal I gotta start seeing some excerpts from the voting registry before i can decide if this massive loss of life and property was a tragedy :colbert:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
thoughts n prayers

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

Yaldabaoth posted:

Trying to inhabit the great plains was a mistake.

yeah, except this wasn’t the plains, it’s the mid-south. which didn’t used to be a tornado hotspot, but climate change has pushed tornado alley east over the past 50 or so years. the plains had a historically low number of tornadoes this past season.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

yeah, except this wasn’t the plains, it’s the mid-south. which didn’t used to be a tornado hotspot, but climate change has pushed tornado alley east over the past 50 or so years. the plains had a historically low number of tornadoes this past season.

also it seems like they are more likely to occur at night in that region which makes them much deadlier

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Listen man, if God didn't want humanity to destroy all life on Earth by climate change then why are the oil companies making so much money?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I like that bit in Twister when they’re at the drive-in watching The Shining and the screen gets torn apart by a tornado right as Jack utters, “Here’s Johnny!”

Welp, there’s my tornado story. Thanks for reading!

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we had p bad wind and rain here in east TN but it wasnt so bad.. the mountains keep us p much safe from the worst weather that comes through. it is nasty af out tho rn.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

its very windy today and the temperarure went from minus 1 celcius yesterday to 13 celcius today really weird

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Da MF Succ Zone

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
super windy here too but its like 60 outside which is just fuckin ridiculous

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

So far...

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1469718044981309446

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

also it seems like they are more likely to occur at night in that region which makes them much deadlier

I had mentioned something similar to my wife as the sirens were going off at 9pm last night. I couldn't give two shits about the storm cause it was dark and I needed to go to sleep, but a few months ago during a day storm I watched the wind do things to trees I'd never really seen before.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The vaxxed are shedding proteins which the air eats to get swole..... thisll just keep happening....

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

growing up in tornado alley we had tornados like every year... the last ten years I don't think we've had a single one that was as bad as those when I was a kid 30 years ago.

regardless you need reinforced basements or storm shelters to limit loss of life in this scenarios... and tornado insurance for the structural damage.

I wonder if these new areas getting hit have made the necessary changes?

Just kidding I know they haven't. Enjoy that climate change.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wendigee posted:

growing up in tornado alley we had tornados like every year... the last ten years I don't think we've had a single one that was as bad as those when I was a kid 30 years ago.

regardless you need reinforced basements or storm shelters to limit loss of life in this scenarios... and tornado insurance for the structural damage.

I wonder if these new areas getting hit have made the necessary changes?

Just kidding I know they haven't. Enjoy that climate change.

eek :yikes:

Cosmic Thing fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 11, 2021

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Vakal posted:

But what did it look like after the tornadoes went through?

https://goo.gl/maps/qaWHc3XhtbyNZeSb7

Just scroll through the "historic downtown" in reverse.

Empty storefronts, deserted sidewalks with no souls in sight. A few gap toothed strips of tired-looking old pre-war brick buildings, a memory of better times. A fine building that might have been a bank or department store, now (until a few hours ago) a cheap rent-to-own appliance place. A gaudy and desperate "God bless america" flag painting.

The "historic downtown" was already a faded grandparents' recollection before the monstrous calamity visited upon this town. Mean household income $30K. Lots of fair sized houses for sale in that price range. This was not a wealthy town. It's going to be difficult times for the people sticking around and trying to rebuild. How many had tornado insurance coverage?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

frumpykvetchbot posted:

How many had tornado insurance coverage?
I mean effectively zero right? Thats not a priority if you don't usually see tornados and especially if you're very poor.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Why would God do this to these red state yokels?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Malcolm Excellent posted:

John Calvin was right, wealth is the true indicator of whether or not God has blessed you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Malcolm Excellent posted:

the lord works in mysterious ways when things we don't like happen, but it's direct evidence of divine intervention when it's something we wanted to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

here's a site showing the number of tornados in kentucky since 1950 and it makes the geographic climate shift really obvious

like, there have always been some tornados in the region but back in the 50's and 60's it was like 2-5 per year, maybe 10 in a particularly bad year.

then in the 70's there are a few outliers like one year there were over 50, but still mostly between 5-20 with quite a lot of variation.

then it really picks up at the turn of the century and its been consistently in the double digits (and over 20 per year almost every year) since 2002.

https://data.courier-journal.com/tornado-archive/

(edit: the site has clearly not been updated with last nights storm)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 11, 2021