Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker posted:

here's a site showing the number of tornados in kentucky since 1950 and it makes the geographic climate shift really obvious

like, there have always been some tornados in the region but back in the 50's and 60's it was like 2-5 per year, maybe 10 in a particularly bad year.

then in the 70's there are a few outliers like one year there were over 50, but still mostly between 5-20 with quite a lot of variation.

then it really picks up at the turn of the century and its been consistently in the double digits (and over 20 per year almost every year) since 2002.

https://data.courier-journal.com/tornado-archive/

you have to be careful with this type of counting because they didn't have the same ability to detect tornadoes with radar during all 70 years in that table. noaa has the same issue with seasonal tropical cyclone records. a lot of storms we detect now would've gone unnoticed or unrecorded in the past. there are ways to model and try to correct the data (noaa does this, and probably some weather groups do it for tornadoes too, but i'm not familiar with that).

there's no question that climate change is bringing weather disasters to new areas or increasing the frequency they occur, of course. we're still hosed, but you can't tell exactly how big of a loving it is from raw data sets like this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EorayMel posted:

I was thinking about if moridin was still on the forums he would immediately bitch about how the people affected by the tornado would steal more of his hard earned tax dollars(from committing fraud against Amazon) because they were in The Wrong State(s) itt but you out moridin'd moridin so congratz I guess :confuoot:

Moridin sucked if it's who I'm remembering but stealing from amazon doesn't seem like a strike against him tbh

e: im also not reading all that crap tho

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 11, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Fran軋is.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Moridin sucked if it's who I'm remembering but stealing from amazon doesn't seem like a strike against him tbh

e: im also not reading all that crap tho

Using that to try to appear as a modern day robin hood and being shocked nobody is impressed and then doubling down about how he then stole from a pizza shop is very much a strike against him IMO

Also tornados are dumb and bad and I should fight and kill all the tornados IRL

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Earwicker posted:

here's a site showing the number of tornados in kentucky since 1950 and it makes the geographic climate shift really obvious

like, there have always been some tornados in the region but back in the 50's and 60's it was like 2-5 per year, maybe 10 in a particularly bad year.

then in the 70's there are a few outliers like one year there were over 50, but still mostly between 5-20 with quite a lot of variation.

then it really picks up at the turn of the century and its been consistently in the double digits (and over 20 per year almost every year) since 2002.

https://data.courier-journal.com/tornado-archive/

(edit: the site has clearly not been updated with last nights storm)

EDIT: beaten

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 11, 2021

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
A good president would have nuked the tornados

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well maybe they should have taken one of the tornado vaccines being offered. Taking the tornado vaccine doesn't guarantee you'll not catch a tornado but does decrease the chance of it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 11, 2021

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Raged posted:

A good president would have nuked the tornados

This reminds me of that period right after WW2 where America was all "OK, we invented these highly destructive weapons to defeat the japanese. What else can we use them for?"

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I was really scared of tornados as a little kid. Hell, I'm scared of them now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sweet thursday posted:

I was really scared of tornados as a little kid. Hell, I'm scared of them now.

sounds like you need some exposure therapy

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
imagine the worlds most violent super swirlie

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

you have to be careful with this type of counting because they didn't have the same ability to detect tornadoes with radar during all 70 years in that table.

that's a fair point. but even so if you go back as recently as just the 1980's there were far fewer tornados in that decade compared to the 2010's, was radar technology so bad in the 80's that most storms would have gone unnoticed?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
there is an easy solution for all of this

buy more guns

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker posted:

that's a fair point. but even so if you go back as recently as just the 1980's there were far fewer tornados in that decade compared to the 2010's, was radar technology so bad in the 80's that most storms would have gone unnoticed?

I don't know, but I do know that weather radar networks have improved significantly in my lifetime. Specifically I remember locals news starting to brag about their fancy new weather radar in the late 90s that made their forecasts and storm warnings that much better than those other guys. I would guess there were pretty steady incremental upgrades in both hardware quality (sensitivity / resolution), tower coverage, and sensor data processing over the past 50 years. I don't think you'll find that they just flipped a switch in one specific year and the tracking of tornadoes went from bad to good. Just a guess :shrug:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/JackSillin/status/1469766894861393925

So far beyond any records that it's comical.

Sure have been a lot of these record-breaking insane-o storms lately. Hmmm. :thunk:

https://twitter.com/JMichaelsNews/status/1469717521343336454

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I will stop the tornado

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
DRILL BABY DRILL

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

EorayMel posted:

Using that to try to appear as a modern day robin hood and being shocked nobody is impressed and then doubling down about how he then stole from a pizza shop is very much a strike against him IMO

Also tornados are dumb and bad and I should fight and kill all the tornados IRL

Morodin was fine
Pick was fine
Good prolific posters that create controversy and provocative posts for other to respond to

Create interesting threads

Idiots (not you specifically, I miss your darling fat yawning cat av tho)

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

They would have seen the storms and could issue tornado warnings based on them but both doppler radar and computer analysis of radar data improved a lot during the 80s, 90s and 2000s so they might now be able to say a certain radar pattern really is a tornado without needing someone to actually spot it. There may also be more people actively searching for and reporting tornadoes after the movie Twister was released.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i had my suspicions, but this makes it clear beyond any doubt that ohio was the intended target of last night's celestial fury

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

No Sharpie marker add on showing it is projected to hit North Carolina? For shame.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bad Purchase posted:

i had my suspicions, but this makes it clear beyond any doubt that ohio was the intended target of last night's celestial fury

As Token Ohio Goon ITT there was a lot of windy weather today but no noticeable damage where I am

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

So was that rain here in LA on Tuesday the precipitating storm? Did we send a weather equivalent of a cruise missile at Ohio?

So much for the tolerant left.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Spaghett posted:

So was that rain here in LA on Tuesday the precipitating storm? Did we send a weather equivalent of a cruise missile at Ohio?

So much for the tolerant left.

And yet they hit Kentucky, proving Louisiana's geographical understanding is still behind the national curve.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Hey buddy, there's more than one LA in America

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

:unsmith:

Someone some 130 miles as the crow flies away from one of the Kentucky towns the tornado hit found a photo dated 1942 on their car this morning. Internet did the rest.

https://twitter.com/katieposten/status/1469720215495794688?s=20

https://www.wdrb.com/news/new-alban...f24303f041.html

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Chief McHeath posted:

:unsmith:

Someone some 130 miles as the crow flies away from one of the Kentucky towns the tornado hit found a photo dated 1942 on their car this morning. Internet did the rest.

https://twitter.com/katieposten/status/1469720215495794688?s=20

https://www.wdrb.com/news/new-alban...f24303f041.html

Some good can come out of bad situations :unsmith:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wow, I'm really going to have to talk to these tornados

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im going to gently caress the tornado

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Chinatown posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chinatown posted:

No way

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
So was that one that lasted over 200 miles an f5?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

Morodin was fine
Pick was fine
Good prolific posters that create controversy and provocative posts for other to respond to

Create interesting threads

Idiots (not you specifically, I miss your darling fat yawning cat av tho)

Agreed. People would get inordinately mad about them, Morodin was fun to watch post.

Also? gently caress Weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDqwlAU2QYs

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Holy gently caress this thing was terrifying
https://youtube.com/shorts/yTQEg_UEiKk?feature=share

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

stand back

this might get messy

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I live in Bowling Green and it came super close to my place. I was very lucky and it doesn稚 look like anything is damaged but I need to check my roof closely tomorrow. A neighbor a few houses down had a tree fall on their house and destroy what looks like a solid third of it.

The restaurant I ate dinner at last night is now a pile of rubble and so is my favorite liquor store.

Yesterday morning, I could just feel it that it was gonna be bad. It was like 60 something degrees at 6 am. Very odd for December. Planet痴 dying Cloud.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I work in an ER and we've been on mass casualty mode since like 8 AM. Probably had 20+ EMS arrivals from the candle factory alone and there were more all day from other places that got hit. There was trauma but a lot of them were transferred to us due to chemical burns from all the industrial chemicals used to make the candles. Our decon room smelled like a candle shop all morning and we had ambulance crews lined up in the hallway it was kind of a horrifying scene. Lot of people working very hard all day.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

prtty sure jesus decides who gets hit by tornados and it has been decided for this year

[edit] im sorry to the actual person and nurse for being such a gently caress.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Earwicker posted:

Not most, but more would have gone unreported.

Urban sprawl, the advent of WSR-88D (in 1988), and more recently many more people spotting/chasing/reporting, social media, and dual-pol radar... we're absolutely reporting more tornadoes now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Tornados are terrifyingly to me just based on how much destruction they create.

Also an article on climate change and tornadoes:
https://www.nationalgeographic.org/article/tornadoes-and-global-warming-there-connection/