Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Das Boo posted:

Please, please don't celebrate the deaths of poors, regardless of their politics.

Punch up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

One side wants you to be a slave or dead and the other one too but with decorum

Get the gently caress out, traitor.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Well now we're running into the thing. Crime is a social problem and the solutions to it have to be implemented on a social level. It's not cool to demonize the poors because they commit more crime statistically. They can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps because that's impossible.

On the individual level, I can absolutely celebrate the deaths of people who've done me harm. If a guy viciously assaults me or whatever, I will absolutely dance a loving jig if he get's run over by a tornado or a semi or whatever. On an individual person to person level I absolutely don't give a poo poo that they're poor or whatever, only that they hurt me. And that's fine.
That's how you solve the paradox of social determinism vs personal responsibility. You can hold individuals accountable while also supporting measures to make things better on a social level.

In this situation you've got a bunch of poors who are generally being real dumb assholes, and in many cases causing real harm. I guess it's not really cool to celebrate a tornado that tore a strip through a county because it's mostly dumb poors, but if any of those specific individuals has done harm to you and got sucked off the face of the earth, I'd say go for it. A bit of the confounding factor is how obnoxious these particular brand of poors are at staying that way and supporting their own subjugation. It's hard to fix that problem on a social level and alleviate poverty and ignorance when they're brainwashed to be against any social level fixes to anything ever.
It's slightly more than just a poverty thing. I'd bet a good portion of the conservatives in kansas or kentucky or whatever would do more than just celebrate my death, they'd push for it, along with many of my friends and family because I'm not the right ethnicity or have the right political views. They're supporting people who do have actual power to bring us closer to that, and who also want it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Therefore the death penalty in KY would be a good thing because based on provided statistics it would mostly be killing conservatives, right.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I might've been born in KY, but I grew up in Bangladesh. Bengali conservativism would be enough to make my hillbilly neighbors back home blush. I still hated seeing the vast majority of the population victimized by the elite, who profited entirely off the backs of the poor while spitting on them for being laborers. Those people are bombarded with shackles from the moment they're born and I'm not about to begrudge someone too afraid of social exile to act. Let those of us with the privilege of saying "gently caress you, gently caress off." be the ones to say it and not shame the factory workers who are dead because they were scared of losing their jobs and not being able to feed their families.

Half the people I knew in my hometown are dead from fentanyl because they were too poor to escape. I got out because my family was privileged enough to have a college education and find work elsewhere.

I lost another two friends back there this year and am still upset, apologies for my meltdowniness.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

People can simultaneously be victims of society and also pieces of poo poo.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Seeing as these posts are here, are tornado updates in the D&D US politics thread now?

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Das Boo posted:

Please, please don't celebrate the deaths of poors, regardless of their politics.

Unless it was self-inflicted by rampant stupidity.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vernii posted:

People can simultaneously be victims of society and also pieces of poo poo.

They're pieces of poo poo if they don't focus their anger and resentment at the people who actually hurt them, or if they simply want to burn everything to the ground without any plan to rebuild society afterwards.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Das Boo posted:

I might've been born in KY, but I grew up in Bangladesh. Bengali conservativism would be enough to make my hillbilly neighbors back home blush. I still hated seeing the vast majority of the population victimized by the elite, who profited entirely off the backs of the poor while spitting on them for being laborers. Those people are bombarded with shackles from the moment they're born and I'm not about to begrudge someone too afraid of social exile to act. Let those of us with the privilege of saying "gently caress you, gently caress off." be the ones to say it and not shame the factory workers who are dead because they were scared of losing their jobs and not being able to feed their families.

Half the people I knew in my hometown are dead from fentanyl because they were too poor to escape. I got out because my family was privileged enough to have a college education and find work elsewhere.

I lost another two friends back there this year and am still upset, apologies for my meltdowniness.

Okay but KY citizens have been voting deep red for fifty loving years and have nothing but abject poverty, poo poo schools, poo poo education, poo poo jobs, no retirement, and poo poo wages to show for it. At some point you have to put the blame on the rubes.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Blooster posted:

Okay but KY citizens have been voting deep red for fifty loving years and have nothing but abject poverty, poo poo schools, poo poo education, poo poo jobs, no retirement, and poo poo wages to show for it. At some point you have to put the blame on the rubes.

they just need a chance! and also to remove the 13% of their population that isn't white (what the actual gently caress how can this be real lol) because they don't deserve help like, I, an out of work coal miner, do.

Dads Dip Cup
Aug 13, 2009

Grimey Drawer
well... I don't know. I'm still undecided. I think I'm just going to continue to watch the debates and see what both sides are bringing to the table before deciding the appropriate way to feel towards the people who were killed or otherwise had their lives ruined by the tornadoes

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i think their lives were ruined by republican governments and climate changing energy production... which they voted for over 50 years?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Why draw the line at Republican government when Illinois has been doing a lovely job of loving its citizens with a Democrat in since 1985?

I'm saying the line we need to draw isn't Democrat/Republican, it's rich/poor. That has always been the line, for every human civilization that ever existed, forever. I would feel much less empathetic if the tornado had torn through Congress.

I mean, I'd still feel lovely because people died, but I feel loving awful for all the families who don't have a drat house now and no way to recover.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Das Boo posted:

Why draw the line at Republican government when Illinois has been doing a lovely job of loving its citizens with a Democrat in since 1985?

Illinois once had a state holiday for L Ron Hubbard. They've had no real credibility since that hasn't relied on sports or food.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Illinois is also a fairly prosperous state to live in compared to deep red shitholes and people there usually don't vote in such a way to intentionally gently caress over their fellow man.

Also I don't blame the republican government. They flat out tell these hicks how they're going to gently caress them and they keep voting them in. gently caress em.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Blooster posted:

Illinois is also a fairly prosperous state to live in compared to deep red shitholes and people there usually don't vote in such a way to intentionally gently caress over their fellow man.

and yet the same storm hosed up the lives of a lot of people in illinois. thats where the amazon warehouse was. it wasnt kentucky republicans who refused to let those workers leave, it was corporate america and a sick value system that can be found in every state

its actually possible to feel sympathy for people in a poo poo situation even if its in some way their fault. humans have been led and used against their own interests by power structures for millenia

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 17, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois once had a state holiday for L Ron Hubbard. They've had no real credibility since that hasn't relied on sports or food.

That owns there needs to be more state holidays based of non Christian religions :)

All faiths are equal in raising up the human spirit

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Fair point, rescinded.

But yeah, I'll campaign for the self-harming uneducated over the self-serving legacies any day of the week. About the only way I wouldn't feel bad in some way is if the tornado took out a KKK rally, but the world isn't cool like that.

Was this the sentiment on SA during Katrina? gently caress 'em, they're red?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sa during Katrina was a libertarian gamer shithole lmao what do you think?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Was this the sentiment on SA during Katrina? gently caress 'em, they're red?

no there was a big donation drive for the victims and then paypal blocked the payment because they thought it was a scam or something and there was a big drama about it and i dont remember what happened after that. but no, that was not the attitude.

also new orleans is not red. louisana is, but most of the focus was on the city, which has been democrat run for a very long time

in non-political tornado news, this is loving nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtD8C8ZaOt4

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 17, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Do you guys think that Amazon is really just an elaborate way for Bezos to indulge his snuff fetish?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Earwicker posted:

and yet the same storm hosed up the lives of a lot of people in illinois. thats where the amazon warehouse was. it wasnt kentucky republicans who refused to let those workers leave, it was corporate america and a sick value system that can be found in every state

its actually possible to feel sympathy for people in a poo poo situation even if its in some way their fault. humans have been led and used against their own interests by power structures for millenia

Yeah I know, Kentucky deserved it, Illinois didn't

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Blooster posted:

Yeah I know, Kentucky deserved it, Illinois didn't

Illinois is only democrat because of Chicago. Take the Chicago area out of Illinois and it's as red state as Arkansas.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois is only democrat because of Chicago. Take the Chicago area out of Illinois and it's as red state as Arkansas.

That's literally every state in the country including New York, California, and Vermont.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Earwicker posted:

also new orleans is not red. louisana is, but most of the focus was on the city, which has been democrat run for a very long time

It just strikes me as a terribly backwards to have one's empathy hang on the political alignment of one representative of a city, let alone an entire state. Millions of individuals can't be expressed by a political color.

I was also under the impression that "Better to let 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man die" was a progressive ideal, but poo poo. We got folks happy for the deaths of people they don't even know the names of, let alone their character. Just that they lived in Bad Place and so Are Bad.

Not implying these are your sentiments, by the way. The contempt for human life in this thread is bumming me the hell out.

Blooster posted:

That's literally every state in the country including New York, California, and Vermont.

So wait, are you saying major cities aren't racist as goddamn hell because they're blue or...?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

quote:

KY: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Dems1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
KY: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Dem5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Dems6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Dem9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
KY: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Dem10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
KY: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Dems11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
KY: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Dem19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Dem20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!""
"KY: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Dems1-20 piss in the well**
Dem21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well.""

216A
May 27, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Blooster posted:

You obviously have no idea about KY electoral politics of the last 50 years. There have been two Republican governors in the last fifty years, both one term.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

216A posted:

You obviously have no idea about KY electoral politics of the last 50 years. There have been two Republican governors in the last fifty years, both one term.

Lol, also this.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Seeing as these posts are here, are tornado updates in the D&D US politics thread now?

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Earwicker posted:

no there was a big donation drive for the victims and then paypal blocked the payment because they thought it was a scam or something and there was a big drama about it and i dont remember what happened after that. but no, that was not the attitude.

how about tornadon't

they should ban those things

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Blooster posted:

Also I don't blame the republican government. They flat out tell these hicks how they're going to gently caress them and they keep voting them in. gently caress em.

The state lost 80,000 people in 2020 it's 6th straight year of population loss. You are completely out of your mind.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

seems windy

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Illinois is a goddamn paradise compared to so much of the country. Not saying there are not incredibly sad and run-down parts (Danville immediately comes to mind) but there are several areas not near Chicago that are prosperous and safe and not even destroyed by local Republican politics

I admit I know basically nothing of the state in the parts South of St. Louis, though. There probably be dragons there

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just remembering David Letterman gave Kankakee, IL two gazebos because it was rated the worst place to live at the time, around '98, I think.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

Illinois is a goddamn paradise compared to so much of the country. Not saying there are not incredibly sad and run-down parts (Danville immediately comes to mind) but there are several areas not near Chicago that are prosperous and safe and not even destroyed by local Republican politics

I admit I know basically nothing of the state in the parts South of St. Louis, though. There probably be dragons there

illinois follows the same basic pattern as the rest of the country - rural areas and suburbs are red, urban areas and college towns are blue. so the difference between a "blue state" like illinois and a "red state" like kentucky is that illinois contains a much larger city and also has a couple big college town.

kentucky is more rural, but if you look at the largest city in the state, the vast majority of mayors have been democrats. a majority of governors of kentucky have also been democrats.

ive been all over kentucky and illinois and there is not some radical difference between the places like one is a paradise and the other is a hellhole, both states have good parts and bad parts and the way people are talking about how they have sympathy for people in one state but not the other - even jokingly - is a really hosed up sign of where the country is right now.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 17, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i’ve heard they call water fountains ‘bubblers’ in Kentucky, therefore, i have decreed that they all deserve to die, no sympathy required or given. in this essay i will-

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

216A posted:

also this is really hilarious lmao

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Das Boo posted:

So wait, are you saying major cities aren't racist as goddamn hell because they're blue or...?

Sure major cities are racist. But the people voting in those states aren't biting their nose offs to spite their faces.

216A posted:

2016 presidential election results in KY:

And of course I don't think innocent people should die because of how their moron neighbors vote. I'm just being an rear end in a top hat.

KY definitely deserves their poo poo jobs, poo poo wages, poo poo doctors, and poo poo teen pregnancy rate though. You'd just think they'd learn eventually. "We're gonna vote Mitch McConnell in again for the 30th time....this time he'll make things better I am sure of it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just remembering David Letterman gave Kankakee, IL two gazebos because it was rated the worst place to live at the time, around '98, I think.

Wtf I do remember this and I haven't thought about it in 20+ years.

Remember how he had a catchphrase in the mid to late 90s that was "Something from the meat case, Linda?" Which was some random thing he overheard on vacation and fell in love with?