Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A lot of people in these areas are poor as hell and victims of the opioid epidemic, so I'm gonna go ahead and feel bad that they're dead regardless of political affiliation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Liberals want them dead for being conservative, conservatives want them dead for being poor.
Another day in Appalachia.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

External Organs posted:

Eastern Kentucky isn't Appalachia :colbert:

(This is a joke about the Appalachian regional commission map)

I'm from Eastern KY. I gotchu, babe. :wink:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Have there been any substantial studies on the political affiliations of prison inmates? I think I figured out how to get liberals to support the death penalty and I need to sell my strategy to a conservative congressman.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Fattest PI posted:

I hate to be the one to break it to you but prisons are overwhelmingly filled with minorities, due to a wide variety of reasons ranging from outright incentives to target and put them there, to plain old systemic racism built into the fundamental core of the country. Prison is one of the many tools that has been wielded specifically to disenfranchise "certain demographics", because america is a hellcountry that incentivizes jailing and stripping voting rights off people who wouldn't vote for you.

Minorities in america tend not to vote republican that much overall, aside from weird little demographic pockets, like the cuban republicans.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/12/815097758/new-survey-finds-unexpected-political-opinions-among-incarcerated-people

quote:

LEWIS: There are several key things, one being that people in prison are not a monolith. And so often the conversation around felony disenfranchisement is framed as a partisan issue. And so conservative media and Republicans often say, oh, this will definitely support the Democrats. But we found that that doesn't seem to be the case. You know, people are - identified as Democrats, people identified as Republicans and, again, as independents. And so folks in prison are not a monolith by any means.

CHANG: How did that break down, roughly, the partisan makeup of the people who responded?

LEWIS: What we found was that the party affiliations tracked very, very closely to race. And so by and large, black respondents identified as Democrats or independents, and white respondents identified as Republicans or independents. And both groups - for both groups, independents were overrepresented or sort of more represented than in the general public.

So if we assume white = conservative in KY,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...C9C9b5FBUmFm6Au

76% of the prison population in KY is white! Nevermind that they're overwhelmingly poor and opiod-addicted! Death penalty's back on the table, boys!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Please, please don't celebrate the deaths of poors, regardless of their politics.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Therefore the death penalty in KY would be a good thing because based on provided statistics it would mostly be killing conservatives, right.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I might've been born in KY, but I grew up in Bangladesh. Bengali conservativism would be enough to make my hillbilly neighbors back home blush. I still hated seeing the vast majority of the population victimized by the elite, who profited entirely off the backs of the poor while spitting on them for being laborers. Those people are bombarded with shackles from the moment they're born and I'm not about to begrudge someone too afraid of social exile to act. Let those of us with the privilege of saying "gently caress you, gently caress off." be the ones to say it and not shame the factory workers who are dead because they were scared of losing their jobs and not being able to feed their families.

Half the people I knew in my hometown are dead from fentanyl because they were too poor to escape. I got out because my family was privileged enough to have a college education and find work elsewhere.

I lost another two friends back there this year and am still upset, apologies for my meltdowniness.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Why draw the line at Republican government when Illinois has been doing a lovely job of loving its citizens with a Democrat in since 1985?

I'm saying the line we need to draw isn't Democrat/Republican, it's rich/poor. That has always been the line, for every human civilization that ever existed, forever. I would feel much less empathetic if the tornado had torn through Congress.

I mean, I'd still feel lovely because people died, but I feel loving awful for all the families who don't have a drat house now and no way to recover.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Illinois once had a state holiday for L Ron Hubbard. They've had no real credibility since that hasn't relied on sports or food.

Fair point, rescinded.

But yeah, I'll campaign for the self-harming uneducated over the self-serving legacies any day of the week. About the only way I wouldn't feel bad in some way is if the tornado took out a KKK rally, but the world isn't cool like that.

Was this the sentiment on SA during Katrina? gently caress 'em, they're red?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Earwicker posted:

also new orleans is not red. louisana is, but most of the focus was on the city, which has been democrat run for a very long time

It just strikes me as a terribly backwards to have one's empathy hang on the political alignment of one representative of a city, let alone an entire state. Millions of individuals can't be expressed by a political color.

I was also under the impression that "Better to let 100 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man die" was a progressive ideal, but poo poo. We got folks happy for the deaths of people they don't even know the names of, let alone their character. Just that they lived in Bad Place and so Are Bad.

Not implying these are your sentiments, by the way. The contempt for human life in this thread is bumming me the hell out.

Blooster posted:

That's literally every state in the country including New York, California, and Vermont.

So wait, are you saying major cities aren't racist as goddamn hell because they're blue or...?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

216A posted:

You obviously have no idea about KY electoral politics of the last 50 years. There have been two Republican governors in the last fifty years, both one term.

Lol, also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tornado-victims-include-members-kentucky-family-81815910

quote:

Jacob and Emma Gingerich lived with their five children in a trailer near Mayfield, Kentucky, that had no electricity or running water in accordance with their Amish tenets, The Washington Post reported. The trailer was ripped apart by a tornado that killed the couple, who were both 31, and two of their children, 7-year-old Marilyn and 4-year-old Daniel.

quote:

Huda Alubahi grabbed her two young sons and sheltered in a closet as the tornado bore down on their home in Mayfield, Kentucky.

Shortly after closing the closet door, the house collapsed around them, she told CBS news in an interview. Alubahi was smashed in the face with a sink, unable to move her head and trapped by the debris, she said.

Her 1-year-old son began to cry, but she heard nothing from her 3-year-old son, Jhal’lil. It took several people to pull the mother and children from the rubble, and it was only when she was in the hospital that Alubahi learned Jhal’lil had died in her arms.

quote:

Timothy Venetta remembers 13-year-old Nyssa Brown as a little girl who used to ride her four-wheeler through his backyard. Authorities on Thursday found the Kentucky teenager's body in a wooded area near her subdivision. She was the seventh member of her family to die in the tornado that hit Bowling Green last week.

quote:

Douglas Koon, his wife, Jackie, and their three children huddled in his mother-in-law’s bathroom in Dawson Springs, Kentucky, as the storms approached. The tornado hit the house directly, flinging the family around and tossing in the air a bathtub that was shielding two of his sons. The couple put their infant daughter, Oaklynn, in a car seat to protect her, and she appeared to be OK on Saturday.

But by Sunday, the baby was having seizures, and doctors noticed a brain bleed after she was taken to the hospital. They believed she had a stroke, Koon said in a Facebook post.

Early Monday morning, the family posted that the infant had died.

quote:

Annistyn Rackley was an outgoing and energetic 9-year-old who loved swimming, dancing and cheerleading, according to her great-aunt Sandra Hooker.

The two had become close over the past four years: Hooker offered the girl support during doctor’s visits and blood draws required by a rare liver condition that still didn’t keep the southeastern Missouri girl from participating in activities.

Annistyn, her parents and her two younger sisters took shelter Friday night in a windowless bathroom in their new home west of Caruthersville, Missouri. To prove they’d gotten to the family’s “safe space,” the girls’ mom texted Hooker a photo of the three in and next to the bathtub — all of them smiling, 9-year-old Annistyn holding her favorite doll.

Fifteen minutes later, Sandra Hooker said, a tornado splintered the home, carrying the family members dozens of yards through the air into a field where first responders found them in mud. Annistyn died, and the others were injured.

Wow, all these people deserved to die for living in a red state, boy howdy. Best cull those kids before they become voters, yup, yup.

If you don't feel just a little bad for these people after doing the most basic gesture of humanizing them, learning their names, then I honestly hope you can find a good therapist because no one deserves to suffer that degree of emotional muteness.