Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Congrats to Endwalker fans! I'm glad you all liked your new expansion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last thing I did was try to use this data to generate automated recommendations for games you should play. Since final scores are a combination of how often a game appeared in lists and how highly it ranked in those lists, there's tons of games that did very well with everyone who played them, but weren't played by as many people as the final top ten. So what I did, was check which "underdogs" consistently ranked higher than the highly placed games, but ended up lower in the charts due to not receiving as many votes. Ideally, these are "hidden gems" for the people who played the game that placed higher--games they probably didn't play, but which, if they had, they probably would have ranked higher. You can be the judge of how well this actually accomplishes that. In the list below, the precentage indicates how often the underdog beat the more highly ranked game when they both appeared on the same list.

Here's an abridged version of the list so it fits well in a post:

If you liked Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker, consider playing:
Blue Reflection: Second Light (67%)

If you liked Metroid Dread, consider playing:
Outer Wilds (100%)
Hades (88%)
Disco Elysium (80%)

If you liked Disco Elysium, consider playing:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (67%)
Returnal (67%)

If you liked Psychonauts 2, consider playing:
Shin Megami Tensei V (83%)
Outer Wilds (75%)
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (71%)

If you liked Hades, consider playing:
Outer Wilds (100%)
Prey (100%)
Deltarune (75%)

If you liked Monster Hunter Rise, consider playing:
Bowser's Fury (80%)
Hitman 3 (75%)
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (75%)

If you liked The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, consider playing:
Lost Judgment (100%)
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (100%)
Shin Megami Tensei V (78%)

If you liked Shin Megami Tensei V, consider playing:
Persona 5 Strikers (75%)
Cruelty Squad (67%)
Deltarune (60%)

If you liked 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, consider playing:
Nier Replicant (67%)

If you liked Resident Evil Village, consider playing:
Ghosts of Tsushima (100%)
Deathloop (80%)
Hitman 3 (75%)

You can find the full list here:
https://pastebin.com/Lkw1M2XF

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 9, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

No statistically significant difference between the percentage of XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes compared to the percentages of non-XIV voters who cast the full 10 votes.

interesting you had to change what i asked to come up with data to prove your bias. says it all really and proves that i was right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

What's this? Everyone who played Endwalker should play Blue Reflection Second Light?

Dang. That's what the data says though!!!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
poo reflection: second shite

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Fun times as always, thank you to the hosts and participants.

I can’t help but feel like I let down Griftlands. Maybe we all let down Griftlands.

This is definitely one of the games I wanted to dig into but fell by the wayside, because I had played so much of it last year.

Early access... The blessing and the curse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

interesting you had to change what i asked to come up with data to prove your bias. says it all really and proves that i was right

Recommend me a book stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

grundrisse

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not going to refute Stux's assertions because there's nothing wrong with voter outreach and Shadowbringers and Endwalker both own

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Stux I may not always like your posts but your avatar is perfect for your posting style. Never change it please.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

grundrisse

Nice but I was thinking more along the lines of fiction

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the ones who walk away from omelas

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

K thx. I'm familiar with le Guin but I havent read this story yet

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Reflecting on my 2020 list, I would put the Guardian crossword above Spelunky 2. Thank you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my goty list is a personal snapshot of my feelings at a specific moment in time. My 2021 list will always be correct, for 2021, no matter how I feel about these games in 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its stupid as gently caress that cybershadow was unranked considering how many of you love to get good...or was that all talk? Sad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

my goty list is a personal snapshot of my feelings at a specific moment in time. My 2021 list will always be correct, for 2021, no matter how I feel about these games in 2022

A snapshot mid-to-late december 2021 maybe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

A snapshot mid-to-late december 2021 maybe

I made an effort to try to remember how I felt about the games as I was playing them but yeah some amount of that is unavoidable

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
This year I started writing my list months in advance. Why? Because two of the items on it provoked very strong feelings from me and I wanted to see if I still felt that way by the time December rolled around. Yep, I sure did.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
writing your blurb as you finish each game is an incredible tactic. I think I will do that this year

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 9, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i just kinda winged it but i'm still happy with my list. i kinda wish i stuck Fuga as my #10 because that game needed more love despite the flaws i mentioned. the most broken characters are a pair of corgi twins. not a lot of games can boast that feature

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rarity posted:

Off by 1 but ok

Hey now! I thought FF6 was good. If you never grew up on the pre-PS FF games, I can understand it feeling different, but I love FF6.

xoFcitcrA posted:

FF7 is like Halo or Resident Evil. They were only *okay* at best, even by the standards at the time. But they had the hype. They had the right timing. They are the ones who are remembered.

Realtalk though, I 100% agree with you. I started with FF8, so I'm the real weirdo here, but when playing FF7 after playing FF8/FF9, I found myself very often frustrated, confused, and bored by many aspects of the game. I can appreciate what it did to revolutionize and energize the genre, but boyyyy would I rather play basically any other FF game.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 9, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad more people gave YLAD a shot and only regret that I didn't finish my 2020 list earlier in the month.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stux posted:

the ones who walk away from omelas

lol

Incidentally this can be very closely related to one of the story arcs in FFXIV

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think this year I'm gonna use Backloggd to keep better track of my games so that 11.5 months from now I can just push a button and paste something in here, I went back and plotted my 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

lol

Incidentally this can be very closely related to one of the story arcs in FFXIV

this is why the harry potter comaprison isnt a joke

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i realize stux is doing a bit and does not mean it in this way but it is hard for me not to feel slightly uncomfortable with the bit due to how much i mentally associate the harry potter franchise with intense and violent transphobia. however i agree even as a huge fan of ff14 that some people are weirdly pushy about it. farewell.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hol up guys lemme post a picture of my new library, it's got all the books

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TGLT posted:

hol up guys lemme post a picture of my new library, it's got all the books

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Online-Reborn-Unofficial/dp/1984092774

only 800 dollars

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Do you want to dominate the game and your opponents?
Do you struggle with making resources and cash?
Do you want the best items?
Would you like to know how to download and install the game?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do you want to dominate the game and your opponents?
Do you struggle with making resources and cash?
Do you want the best items?
Would you like to know how to download and install the game?

What You'll Discover Inside:

- How to Download & Install the Game.
- Professional Tips and Strategies.
- Cheats and Hacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

feel like if you have the third one you dont need the second one

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
professional tip: just buy gil

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The last thing I did was try to use this data to generate automated recommendations for games you should play. Since final scores are a combination of how often a game appeared in lists and how highly it ranked in those lists, there's tons of games that did very well with everyone who played them, but weren't played by as many people as the final top ten. So what I did, was check which "underdogs" consistently ranked higher than the highly placed games, but ended up lower in the charts due to not receiving as many votes. Ideally, these are "hidden gems" for the people who played the game that placed higher--games they probably didn't play, but which, if they had, they probably would have ranked higher. You can be the judge of how wel this actually accomplishes that. In the list below, the precentage indicates how often the underdog beat the more highly ranked game when they both appeared on the same list.

Here's an abridged version of the list so it fits well in a post:

If you liked Metroid Dread, consider playing:
Outer Wilds (100%)
Hades (88%)
Disco Elysium (80%)

If you liked Disco Elysium, consider playing:
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (67%)
Returnal (67%)

If you liked Psychonauts 2, consider playing:
Shin Megami Tensei V (83%)
Outer Wilds (75%)
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (71%)

If you liked Hades, consider playing:
Outer Wilds (100%)
Prey (100%)
Deltarune (75%)

If you liked Monster Hunter Rise, consider playing:
Bowser's Fury (80%)
Hitman 3 (75%)
Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (75%)

If you liked The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, consider playing:
Lost Judgment (100%)
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (100%)
Shin Megami Tensei V (78%)

If you liked Shin Megami Tensei V, consider playing:
Persona 5 Strikers (75%)
Cruelty Squad (67%)
Deltarune (60%)

If you liked 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, consider playing:
Nier Replicant (67%)

If you liked Resident Evil Village, consider playing:
Ghosts of Tsushima (100%)
Deathloop (80%)
Hitman 3 (75%)

You can find the full list here:
https://pastebin.com/Lkw1M2XF

dang, i wanted to play blue reflection 2 but the data is telling me to play disco elysium. oh well

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gamestop had a deal on 13 sentinels for 19 bucks so I took that dive. Excited considering the praise it gets, and Cheetoh's percentages say I'll probably like it too!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Gamestop had a deal on 13 sentinels for 19 bucks so I took that dive. Excited considering the praise it gets, and Cheetoh's percentages say I'll probably like it too!

This is a very good deal!!! For some reason it costs 100 Australian dollars here, although I got it at $45. Bizarrely expensive game.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
mods change my name to cheetoh7071

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

mods change my name to cheetoh7071

I've just realised the o in your username is capitalised why did nobody tell me :cripes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s not an o, it’s a big fat zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
This thread is about to be Nice