Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I didn't vote in the GOTY this year but FFXIV Endwalker would have been my GOTY choice easily.

It's like when Return of the King came out and it won all the Oscars. When was the last time a video game, or any media property, had a 10+ year story arc that is capped off in a satisfying way?

Gimme dat probe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lazy Fair posted:

Thanks for taking the time to do this, it's really fun!

There are a ton of criticisms I could voice about FFXIV, it's very much NOT a perfect game... but they've been releasing 3-4 new major episodes of this game every year like clockwork for almost a decade and they just kept getting better and better building on each other all the way to the grand finale. No other individual game, no matter how good, can honestly compare to the culmination of all that... and even individually it's been a respectable contender for GOTY almost every year since like Heavenward in 2015.

It's an astonishing feat with very few if any parallels in gaming, and by it's nature no other video game will be able to repeat any time soon.

It's something I've been thinking about lately. Are there any entertainment series, be it games or television that last 10 years and tell a long running cohesive story like this? I really can't think of any. I don't count book series just because they're very "singular creative," if that makes sense.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Rarity posted:

Off by 1 but ok

Hey now! I thought FF6 was good. If you never grew up on the pre-PS FF games, I can understand it feeling different, but I love FF6.

xoFcitcrA posted:

FF7 is like Halo or Resident Evil. They were only *okay* at best, even by the standards at the time. But they had the hype. They had the right timing. They are the ones who are remembered.

Realtalk though, I 100% agree with you. I started with FF8, so I'm the real weirdo here, but when playing FF7 after playing FF8/FF9, I found myself very often frustrated, confused, and bored by many aspects of the game. I can appreciate what it did to revolutionize and energize the genre, but boyyyy would I rather play basically any other FF game.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 9, 2022

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Stux posted:

the ones who walk away from omelas

lol

Incidentally this can be very closely related to one of the story arcs in FFXIV