Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Thank you for all of the work Rarity!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

VideoGames posted:

[*]EA’s Vice President of Branding Elle McCarthy declares the term ‘gamer’ to be dead which means it is factually inaccurate to call me a gamer thank you very much :colbert:

I didn't know you had an issue being called a gamer VG, but I guess I'll refrain from referring to you as such. It's a shame Rarity didn't post this.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

There is a reason I said "post" and not "write" :eng101:

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m going to be honest, Gilmore Girls Fire Emblem is the most interesting game nominated so far

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm working on it!

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Endorph posted:

that is also a very reductive description of ff14 dungeons but i also dont know why every thread where someone mentions theyre kinda interested in ff14 but dont really wanna play an mmo turns into a bunch of people giving conflicting and often reductive explanations of why they should play it despite not wanting to. i love ff14 but this behavior is mildly cultish. chill out.

When someone says they're kind of interested in something but have reservations, it seems like they might be inviting people to try to sway them, maybe?

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
While reviewing what I played in 2021, I noticed two trends emerge. The first was a return to playing games with friends. Prior to this year, I had abandoned multiplayer games after disliking the person I became when playing competitive games. However, after the year one of the pandemic, my mental health was reaching a low point, especially with the political landscape leading up to the end of 2020. Thankfully, my interest in Destiny 2 and some friendships with goons allowed us to begin scheduling weekly sessions of playing multiplayer games, starting with Destiny 2, but quickly expanding to numerous other games. I would have never predicted a scenario that saw me spending approx. 200 hours playing fighting games in 2021.
The second trend I identified in what I spent time playing was an opportunity to escape. The single player experiences listed had immersive worlds that allowed me to feel like I was living in a different place. While many are still narrative heavy, it’s obvious that the games I chose were devoted to having a world that could distract me from 2021.

The games I played this year
Bloodborne, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Deathloop, Deep Rock Galactic, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, Doom Eternal, Fate/Grand Order, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker, Forza Horizon 5, Guilty Gear Strive, Hades, Hitman III, Lost Judgment, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Melty Blood Type Lumina, Monster Hunter Rise, NBA 2k21, Quake, Red Dead Redemption 2, Satisfactory, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Street Fighter V, Super Metroid, Superliminal, Tekken 7, Umurangi Generation, Valheim, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Yakuza 3, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Honorable Mentions (because I can't count and had 12 write-ups

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
This was the first game I played on the PlayStation 5. It looked absolutely gorgeous, and it was the right length for a game that mostly emulates the first one. While the first game is one of the few games I’ve gotten a Platinum trophy for, I uninstalled this one the moment I finished. I don’t think the game is bad at all, but it also made me recognize (along with the speed in which I dropped Assassin’s Creed Valhalla) that I may be losing interest in most 3rd person action-adventure games.

Deathloop
Arkane Studios really doesn’t miss, even if upon reflection of Deathloop, I don’t find it as strong as I did while I was playing it. The sense of mystery and the slow drip of better understanding what’s going on were elevated by the voice acting of the primary characters. It made restarting a run a lot of fun, hoping to hear a little more banter between Clint and Julia. Unfortunately, they give you very little reason to go back into the world once you’ve finished the game.

Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, LANCER, Blades in the Dark
TTRPGs are cool, and I'm very glad I get to do it twice a week. It has been a long journey over two years as I've recognized the confidence I've gained in playing and on some level becoming a character I've created. I genuinely care for my primary Blades in the Dark character I think? My son, Yanny

Fate/Grand Order
Yo, Gacha's are bad, wholesale, but this one is a good Gacha.

My top ten games of the year

10 - Deep Rock Galactic
I don’t know if I’ve played a game with a better cooperative experience. The aesthetics and world building were a blast to discover. The different scenarios kept each run fresh, and the different classes synergize well with each other. While there are numerous progression trees to juggle, none of it feels like it’s constructed to keep us playing so much, as fun new things to discover. Dropping in with a full crew is a lot of fun, and was the perfect opportunity for me to help relearn how to effectively communicate towards a single goal. I hope to play more of this in 2022.

9 - Bloodborne
I had started, but abandoned this game when I first attempted it on release. It’s a spooky game, which I don’t normally love. However, I started playing this at the beginning of 2021 at the same time as another goon, and it was a lot of fun to discuss our progress, and have discussions about what exactly is going on in the world. The interconnected world captured everything that I loved about Dark Souls, and the world building seemed easier to understand. I still think Sekiro is the best game FROM has released, but this is probably second.

8 - Lost Judgment
I never want to leave the Japan that Ryo Ga Gotoku has built. Walking around Yokohama evokes the idealized memories I have of walking around the city I live in, Chicago. I love the background noise of a busy city, the casual walking between destinations, and discovering the various weird denizens. The city feels lived in and real, and I feel blessed for being able to revisit it every year.
Lost Judgment also introduces the school setting, which pushes me even further into an idealized world. The high school drama, relatively low stakes, and the constant tension of being a teenager while you’re trying to figure out who you might become is really engaging for me (and LJ does a great job of making teenagers the actual worst).

7 - Forza Horizon 5
Here is a fun fact about me, I love driving on long car trips. Forza Horizon 5 allows me to go on a nice, long car trip, but very fast. Playground Games version of Mexico is an absolute thrill to cruise around, and the various activities are pretty fun too. Forza Horizon 5 delicately balances between arcade and sim racing game, and the vibe is right. I will play this game for six hours and just burn through a podcast and it will feel like I’ve been playing for an hour.

6 - Satisfactory
This is one of my most played games of all time. I really like the factory builders because they use a similar part of my brain that my day job uses, but without the added anxiety. I adore how enabled the developers have allowed the community to get creative, and while I’ll never have a jaw dropping factory build, it’s a lot of fun to think about these problems in a three dimensional space. Similar to Forza Horizon 5, this game will suck hours out of my life, and allows me to listen to podcasts in a way that I cannot normally.

5 - Hitman III
The revived Hitman games are just fun. The density of each level has found me spending 2-3 hours on one assassination attempt, just seeing what I can discover. The narrative bread crumbs are a great way for understanding what’s happening in a level, and the added challenges are so satisfying to attempt. Going for some of the harder challenges creates a thrilling tension, and every run gives me the opportunity to learn something. I am glad the developers had the chance to continue producing this series.

4 - Death Stranding Director’s Cut
This was one of my top games of 2019, and I had an even better experience with it in 2020. The story is weaved together and becomes relatable in a very unexpected way, but there isn’t a better game out there that is as considerate about how the mechanics of the game integrate into the story. This game is one of the most unique experiences someone can have, and I hope everyone has a chance to play it.

3 - Monster Hunter Rise
Just capturing monsters with my friends. I got to give my palamute one eye and name him Majima. He’s a good pup. My palico looks like Sonic. I am terrible at this game, but my pals always kept me encouraged to keep playing and made sure I knew it wasn’t a big deal when I was carted. I am looking forward to double dipping on this for PC and seeing how beautiful this game can look.

2 - Endwalker
The King. This game should be #1 on this list, but it isn't for reasons I’ll try to explain for the next game. The places the story goes overwhelmed me in a way similar to Outer Wilds did, but more importantly, the game never makes me feel rushed to finish content. Entering Eorzea is always a pleasant experience because I never feel like I’m missing out. I can choose to level another job, go fishing, unlock some trial or raid I haven’t done, or just hang out and chat for a bit.

1- Guilty Gear Strive
This game is my number one game of 2021 because of the friends I made along the way. It represents the plethora of fighting games we jumped into over 2021, and the regular time we spent playing together. It represents the challenge and learning of something new I got to experience. I love chasing that feeling, and Strive allowed me to feel this, and gave me an opportunity to improve at a steady pace. It gave me the language to jump into the classics of the genre, understand them, and have a blast playing them. It was a lot of fun seeing progress, gaining edges against each other, watching salt get thrown, laughing at each other, and supporting each other as we dug into the characters we were interested in.
I think it is safe to say that we have all experienced difficulties adapting over the last two years, despite our various levels of regular social encounters, but the consistent sessions we spent fighting each other in Strive, Tekken, Street Fighter, Fightcade, and more helped me get through this year . I’ve gotten a lot more guarded with others over the past 5-6 years, and it’s been really great to find something and find people that I can relax with. Hope we get to do more in 2022.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Next weekend is very exciting. We get GotY results, and the next day AGDQ starts.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

VideoGames posted:

If I even think about that track from Outer Wilds, I start crying. That was the tune from this whole year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_wIb_n4ZU

:same:

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I heard the countdown will have kirby as the protagonist of each game during the reveals

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Good Luck to everyone's favs.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Ban me please. Forever if required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

Guess I need to quote it. Pull the trigger, tia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)