Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
10. DEATH STRANDING

I have a lot of appreciation for this game on some weird conceptual level where I just can't believe how much effort an entire studio of game developers went through to simulate a balance system, a weather system, a pee system... it's a game about delivering packages and dodging invisible ghosts. It can be a very tedious experience, but hot drat, they had a vision and they stuck to it.

Something I keep hearing when people praise this game is that they enjoy the moments where they get an upgrade that lets them skip part of the gameplay. I don't know if this makes a very strong case for the strand-type genre. I admire Death Stranding, and for a while I really enjoyed trekking through the countryside, it's chill, but it also tires me out quickly. Now I haven't touched this thing in months, because if I do I know that I will either be bored or stressed, so I keep putting it off like a chore. Eventually I'll watch a playthrough to see somebody else suffer through this absurd masterpiece. Then I can fast-forward through the delivery parts.

9. BPM: Bullets per Minute

I love making music, so rhythm games are extremely my poo poo, and seeing the genre incorporated into a roguelike FPS certainly caught my eye. How it works is, there's a beat, and you shoot on beat, you dodge on beat, you reload on beat. Simple, until you realize that every gun comes with a different pattern, and projectiles keep raining on you from everywhere. Also the floor is lava. Good luck.

It's extremely punchy and slick and playing through it makes you feel like a badass valkyrie metal percussionist and/or sausage-fingered idiot.

8. Fights in Tight Spaces

John Wick Simulator. It's John Wick the card game, which really makes you feel like John Wick. Draw a card, Mr. Wick, you are John Wick and you kill people. With your John Wick moves.

7. Wildermyth

The general consensus on this game seems to be that the concept is amazing but the execution is a bit awkward and I agree with this. It tries to emulate procedurally generated pen and paper campaigns - events and characters are stitched together randomly while the main campaigns still have a hardcoded overall arc. In its best moments this leads to some very memorable situations, like when my 60 year old granny rogue oneshot the chapter boss machine god by jamming a dagger in its back. In its worst moments the game can feel like you're playing AI dungeon.

Combat and strategy map are XCOM-like. It's servicable, although the leveling system is also semi-randomized, and some skill choices might not pop up before you're well into your third campaign. If you recruit too many heroes it quickly dilutes the experience. I think it would be a better game if it focused more on telling stories on a smaller scope. It tries to do too many things at once. But it's still a neat little experience, very evocative of old folk tales and ancient myths, and I will certainly carry some of those memories with me for a while.

One really cool feature is that you get to keep your characters and reuse them as legacy characters in later campaigns. I have a guy called Even Grip, he's a crowman with a diamond eyepatch and a crossbow and if that doesn't sound cool to you, then we simply cannot be friends.

6. Persona 5

I feel like I had an on-off relationship with this game for half my life. The problem is that there's so much stuff to get into, that everytime I fall off for a week I don't dare to crawl back lest it punish me for my lack of commitment. Also it's one of those games that make you feel like you're close to the end and then keeps going for another 30 hours. Did I mention that I hate turn-based JRPGs? Because I do.

Entenzahn, why are you playing this then? Why is it on your list, EntenDUMB, if you hate it so much? Hm??? For the story, dear reader! For those sweet moments when my party rushes into battle as Last Surprise is playing. The soundtrack slaps, the game is hype, even the gameplay is fine for what it is, I don't hate it, it's just that the dungeons go on too long for my taste. I always saw them as an investment I had to make, to progress through the plot and the relationship arcs. I guess you're supposed to map out all the ways to fuse the optimal Gigatron 9000 Personaman, but I never did that. Instead I meticulously planned out my daily meeting schedule so I could max out as many relationships as possible. Because I know I will not sit through another 500 hours of this to see three new cutscenes. Especially if I can't date Yusuke. gently caress you.

5. Pyre

I played this because I wanted to finish all the other Supergiant Games games before getting into Hades. I didn't think I would like this at all. I am a stupid man with a tiny brain. All I can say is, if this looks like a flash version of NBA2k2 to you, don't make the same mistake I did. There are some surprising meta-gameplay elements, and the various different characteristics of your players make it super fun to screw around with different tactics and dunk on some rainworms or whatever. The setting is unique, the characers are complex and interesting etc etc Supergiant Games good music.

4. Hades

This game feels like the best parts of all previous Supergiant Games titles rolled into one. The combat, the weapons, the powers, the story, the characters - the whole gang is here, and they're about to wreck your face, you better believe it buddy.

I guess the open secret to this game's success is how death is never a punishment. It's baked into the story and gameplay formula and absolutely needs to happen to make progress. It's how you get new stuff. I'm usually too impatient for roguelikes, but the dungeon is relatively short, and you can get wacky boon combos right from the start. You died? Good job! Now you get to be Captain America. Are you a bad enough dude to die again and become The Hulk?

3. Phasmophobia

I'm the kind of guy who will put on a horror game and hide in the youtube comments section. I love the idea of horror, but there's something about the visual aspect where my baby brain will shut down if I expose it directly. A friend of mine suggested we play Phasmophobia, and I don't know how she got the idea, since she is also a coward. So it took some convincing (I had to get drunk), but now I'm glad I took her up on it.

It's not the most intricate game, the gameplay gets simple quick, or at least it did back when we played it. But there's something about the atmosphere that makes it special. That oppressive hum when you cross the threshold into a haunted house; the crackle of your walkie-talkie as a team member starts freaking out on the other end of the map; the knowledge that, any moment, the lights can flicker and your radio will die and you will be hunted, and you will be on your own. The game builds tension, fuels your paranoia, and then the bubble pops and some rotten fucker with a meat cleaver chases after you, and you run and hide, and you die, or you git gut and become a ghost hunting badass.

The real reason this game ranks so high for me is that it has served me as an entry drug into the horror genre.

2. It Takes Two

I don't think any other game has given me this much pure, unbridled joy in a long time. It's chock-full of ideas, and every level feels like a new kind of minigame. Jump 'n Runs with puzzle elements tend to bore me quickly, but this one constantly changes up the mechanics, like there's seriously always some dumbass surprise around the corner. It's extremely creative. You get the feeling they just had fun coming up with ideas and then worked their asses off to make sure the presentation does them justice.

One moment you travel through magical painted vistas, then an anthromorphic book pops up to aggressively hump the air in your general direction, then you're doing sick railgrinds while you fire your machine gun at the level boss. I don't even want to talk too much about what's in this game, because the less of it you expect, the better it will be for you. Me and my friend we legit had to pause after some segments to take a breather and appreciate how sicko mode the game had made us feel. Simply amazing.

1. RimWorld

I didn't have a lot of time for myself ever since I went back to uni. Only in summer, and with covid cases finally on the downturn, I had an opportunity to once again go on those long walks, meet my friends after work, maybe decorate my new apartment. You know where this is going, I closed the blinds and spent an entire month of my life playing RimWorld.

I can never tell my friends of the things that I do in this game. I like to consider myself a fairly normal human being, but when the game boots up I turn into the kind of guy who will take on a group of refugees, line them up against the wall, disarm them, separate them by their stats, send the bad ones away to hunt thrumbos bare-handed and arrest the good ones to brainwash them into joining my communist techno cult. I revel in the misery of my enemies, and everyone who is not with me is against me. Being bad never felt this good. It's the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper 2.

RimWorld gives you a lot of freedom, and if the base game doesn't let you do it, the Steam workshop will. Want to command a robot army? Become an oil tycoon? Enrich uranium and build a nuclear arsenal to bomb the planet back into the stone age? Yup, there's a mod for that. With all the options you keep unlocking, there's always reason a to optimize "just one more thing before bed". Rebuild it. Make it bigger. Make it nicer. Remake it again, but out of gold. Your prison needs more room - time to hollow out another mountain. The old prison can be used to make space heroin. No other game this year has managed to get me addicted the same way RimWorld has.

Entenzahn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
i hope someone at goty inc loses their job over this FIASCO

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I think this year I have been looking forward to this thread more than Christmas and also I can't believe Wildermyth broke the top 75, super curious to see where it ended up

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I love my dumb little psychopath simulator

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
nice.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Finally Anodyne 2 returns with a vengeance after being CHEATE§D out of its chart spot last year

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
More like it takes 52

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Rarity posted:

It Takes (Fifty) Two

owned

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
If I ever finish this game it will only be for Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
i demand a recount

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
if only i had saved up my nice

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
A friend of mine talked me out of the new Pokemon Snap and now I feel stupid. I loved the first one, will definitely pick it up ASAP.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
A PS5 game??? Might as well be an EGS exclusive

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
after mail in votes it turns out bloodborne wins fourth year in a row after all

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
turns out the real timeloop was the discussion about which game is a timeloop all along

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I don't think I even realized this game came out until December.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
disco elysium? i barely know him

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
geoff kayleigh will not like this. mountain dew

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
year of no games

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I have already bought/wishlisted a ton of games from this thread. Thanks everyone for the lists and thanks Rarity and VG. This thread is the reason I keep playing games with video capture enabled.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

*in richard cheese voice* dome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Jay Rust posted:

If anyone wants to take the time to repost their 2020 list and talk about whether they’d change any of it, a year later, I would eagerly read your thoughts

My old list was

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
9. Frog Detective 1+2
8. The Last of Us
7. SYNTHETIK
6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
5. Grim Dawn
4. Outer Wilds
3. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
2. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
1. Control

In hindsight I placed Control and Paper Mario too high. I found the RPG system and battles in Paper Mario extremely boring so I never finished it. Control starts out super creepy and mysterious but quickly turns from David Lynch to Christopher Nolan. Still really good, but I was hoping it was going to be a little more scary instead of just strange.

Monster Hunter's gameplay stood the test of time and Anodyne 2 is super good in its own right so either of them should have been GOTY. Synthetik is tight and should have swapped places with Paper Mario at least.

If anything this massive BLUNDER has taught me to never again rank a #1 game that I haven't finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

TheWorldsaStage posted:

You probably already know but Remedy's next game (Alan Wake 2) is full on survival horror, so more creepiness to come. Also I see your a fellow Edith Finch fan, hi!

Hi! I had no idea they were making one but I also didn't know Psychonauts 2 existed until a couple weeks ago so, lol. Excited to hear it