Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

VideoGames posted:

I am handing out Endwalker probes for those who want them. :)

For those we can yet save

E: yes please

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

Final Fantasy VII being "insanely overrated" perplexes me.

It wasn't even my first Final Fantasy but I've found it to be the most enjoyable and engaging title, and (surprisingly) replayable. It has a phenomenal cast, story, and pacing. Since my deep dive in the series I've found the supposed "superior games" people give examples of are the real over-rated ones. IX is fun but has poor pacing. VI is plagued by having a large ensemble where hardly any characters leave a mark (outside of arguably the best villain in the series). VIII is so boring I dropped it. V has an amazing battle system that is still superior to most RPGs today, but its story is paper thin.

VII is superior to the above title in literally every aspect besides graphics and, in V's case, battle system. I'm not the least bit surprised that it took off an entire genre and arguably bought heavily Japanese styled games to the forefront in Western gaming. Yes Sony's $100 million marketing budget helped, but as it has been shown countless times, money alone doesn't guarantee an industry shattering success.

I'm the opposite. I couldn't muster the poo poo to give about anyone in VII but I adored VIII. The chibi characters always irked me for some reason too, but less so in IX :shrug:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Entenzahn posted:

My old list was

10. What Remains of Edith Finch
9. Frog Detective 1+2
8. The Last of Us
7. SYNTHETIK
6. Paper Mario: The Origami King
5. Grim Dawn
4. Outer Wilds
3. Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne
2. Anodyne 2: Return to Dust
1. Control

In hindsight I placed Control and Paper Mario too high. I found the RPG system and battles in Paper Mario extremely boring so I never finished it. Control starts out super creepy and mysterious but quickly turns from David Lynch to Christopher Nolan. Still really good, but I was hoping it was going to be a little more scary instead of just strange.

Monster Hunter's gameplay stood the test of time and Anodyne 2 is super good in its own right so either of them should have been GOTY. Synthetik is tight and should have swapped places with Paper Mario at least.

If anything this massive BLUNDER has taught me to never again rank a #1 game that I haven't finished.

You probably already know but Remedy's next game (Alan Wake 2) is full on survival horror, so more creepiness to come. Also I see your a fellow Edith Finch fan, hi!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gamestop had a deal on 13 sentinels for 19 bucks so I took that dive. Excited considering the praise it gets, and Cheetoh's percentages say I'll probably like it too!