Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

refleks posted:

I will die on this hill.

gently caress google and gently caress android.

gently caress all big tech companies tbh.The only real positive Google has over anyone else is their funding of FOSS projects so that foundational technologies that the internet are built on (ie NTP, BIND, etc) continue getting developer time to update and keep alive. They're complete poison other than that though.

italian quid posted:

Canadian Tech always just completely loving implodes, look at Nortel.
Canadian tech takes two directions:

1. Make a revolutionary thing that changes it's industry forever and then falls behind the curve as everyone else catches up and surpasses them (ie blackberry, Nortel, Avro (I guess?), practically everything made by Bombardier)
2. Develop a new technology that gets bought by an American company or is just given to the world and is forgotten about (Ballard fuel cell, Insulin, Java, electron microscope)

italian quid posted:

VW's CEO said that it takes them 30 man hours to make an ICE car, 20 to make an EV and he thinks the EV will go down to 10 in the long term. Once VW and GM are running at scale everyone else is going to poo poo their pants and follow suit.

Lithium is the real limiting factor in mass EV production. All current and future battery technologies (that are being developed for portable applications) require lithium for the anode and the cathode and unfortunately Lithum is a rare earth metal comprising of about 0.002% of earth's crust. We won't see the real effects of this until 2030 when the ICE engine sales ban comes into place, but expect Lithium prices to skyrocket unless we find something else to make a good battery out of (or figure out a cheap and effective way to recycle Li-ion batteries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why not just keep using this thread who really cares

Are we trying to archive each season like it’s going to be studied in history?

Because if that’s the case then the world is hosed anyway leading back to my original point of who cares

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

Because if that’s the case then the world is hosed anyway leading back to my original point of who cares

Listen buddy if we don't have strictly regulated threads for each on and off season how am I going to be able to pinpoint the 50+ posts I ended with "sent from my iPhone 11 Pro" and go back and read them?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

boop the snoot posted:

Individual threads are easier to manage for the thread elder database.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

gently caress all big tech companies tbh.The only real positive Google has over anyone else is their funding of FOSS projects so that foundational technologies that the internet are built on (ie NTP, BIND, etc) continue getting developer time to update and keep alive. They're complete poison other than that though.

This is true but I still think like 80% of the reason they do this is a marketing effort that ensures people think of them as slightly less evil

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MustardFacial posted:

Individual threads are easier to manage for the thread elder database.

It's also nice for drawing in new people to our little circle of hell

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

italian quid posted:

Musk is making a lot of really stupid decisions like trying to go it alone on charging and refusing to put lidar in his cars that make sense right now but I suspect are going to terminally gently caress him 5 years down the road when everyone starts rolling out their second generation EVs with all that stuff more tightly integrated.

The Tesla tech is heavily camera based, while other companies have IP positions in lidar (like conti).

If I had enough money I would short Tesla, but the fan boys are going to keep pumping well into miss 2030s even as they get squeezed by traditional oem sales networks on the one side and Chinese start ups on the other.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xmpIR8b_TI

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CancerCakes posted:

The Tesla tech is heavily camera based, while other companies have IP positions in lidar (like conti).

If I had enough money I would short Tesla, but the fan boys are going to keep pumping well into miss 2030s even as they get squeezed by traditional oem sales networks on the one side and Chinese start ups on the other.

Musk is right that short sellers are dumb, but not because of Tesla's fundamentals being any good. He's right because the market is rigged because the SEC hasn't put his dumb rear end in jail yet.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Too bad Verstappen doesn't drive McLaren's new livery. That would make them Mad Max, shiny and chrome.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Imagine shorting a stock where the CEO has basically told the SEC to go gently caress itself and posted on Twitter where he wants the stock price to be at and just gets a tiny slap on the wrist for it lmao

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

Imagine shorting a stock where the CEO has basically told the SEC to go gently caress itself and posted on Twitter where he wants the stock price to be at and just gets a tiny slap on the wrist for it lmao

I am doing and there is cum all over my monitor

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If you have that amount of open contempt for your securities regulator I can guarantee he's just going to scream at his accounting team whenever there is a bad quarter to massage it into a good one

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Oh hell yeah, the precedent is set. I'm waiting for the inevitable twitter spat with the IRS to see how limp dicked they can be.

e: gently caress, on the back of the thread's EV chatI just bought another V8 sight unseen, i relaly need my ex back to stop me doing idiot fucker poo poo

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Theophany posted:

Oh hell yeah, the precedent is set. I'm waiting for the inevitable twitter spat with the IRS to see how limp dicked they can be.

e: gently caress, on the back of the thread's EV chatI just bought another V8 sight unseen, i relaly need my ex back to stop me doing idiot fucker poo poo

if you get her back you won’t have much idiot fucker poo poo left to do so I agree with this plan

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
People that have strong opinions about Android vs iPhone apparently never grew out of arguing about Sega vs Nintendo.

WGAF?

OTOH, my favorite F1 team is

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Lewis looking very stylish

as i walk through the paddock tryin not to look stressed
i take a look at my car and realize it's second best

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Second best would probably be an improvement

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Residency Evil posted:

People that have strong opinions about Android vs iPhone apparently never grew out of arguing about Sega vs Nintendo.

WGAF?

just fuckin lol if you're a little nintendo baby tho imo

SEGA is for cool kids :cool:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

quote:

Perez said he filmed extensively with Netflix in his native Mexico last year, but was disappointed to find that the time he devoted to the documentary was not represented in the final cut.

"Yeah, to be honest I did so much for them last year," he added. "This year, I am definitely not going to do as much. It's a lot of media [to commit to]! So if I can escape it and do less media then I will."

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/33525772/sergio-perez-f1-netflix-series-probably-gone-too-far-2021-season

NETFLIX YOU loving ASSHOLES GIVE ME THE PEREZ FOOTAGE

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

WGAF?

I think you'll find that Sega Does What NintenDON'T™

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

just fuckin lol if you're a little nintendo baby tho imo

SEGA is for cool kids :cool:

Let me just go fire up my sega

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ArmZ posted:

Checo WDC 2022

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Also Checho WDC 2022

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

just lmao if you didn't buy a Sega Dreamcast for $16 and then a 30 pack of CD-Rs when retailers wanted to get rid of that poo poo as quick as possible

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If I'm interpreting this right PLC is being renamed/replaced by the F1 Live Channel with a new commentary team of Ben Edwards, Tom Gaymor and Will Buxton. Will it still feature the multi-view? Linked story says you can 'add up to five screens' of info but not sure if that refers to limit of streams per account or what.
https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1504534509747900418

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

italian quid posted:

just lmao if you didn't buy a Sega Dreamcast for $16 and then a 30 pack of CD-Rs when retailers wanted to get rid of that poo poo as quick as possible

I did this. FYI we were not cool kids.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Red Warrior posted:

If I'm interpreting this right PLC is being renamed/replaced by the F1 Live Channel with a new commentary team of Ben Edwards, Tom Gaymor and Will Buxton. Will it still feature the multi-view? Linked story says you can 'add up to five screens' of info but not sure if that refers to limit of streams per account or what.

oh ffs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

I did this. FYI we were not cool kids.

My family was poor as poo poo growing up so I took what I could get

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Make a new thread - but only let the last 5 posters through - everyone else has to stay in this thread.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

Why would you do this

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

net work error posted:

Why would you do this

No idea. PLC had a really nice thing going with the commentary crew on there, hope this group doesn't start going too far over the top. Believe some of them are formerly from the Channel 4 UK commentary team? Have no experience with that. Other than Buxton at least. But yeah.

Edit: This article seems to confirm it's replacing PLC. Will also be the primary broadcast on F1TV, with Sky still being available should you wish to subject yourself to that, which at least makes sense that their own commentary team isn't playing second banana, but that let them have casual feel.
https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2022/03/17/ben-edwards-to-return-to-commentary-box-with-f1s-in-house-team/

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 17, 2022

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'll take Will Suxton over Crofty any day of the week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MustardFacial posted:

I'll take Will Suxton over Crofty any day of the week.

Lowering your standards like this is how we end up with people like Crofty in the first place.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

loving Ben Edwards, christ.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

Lowering your standards like this is how we end up with people like Crofty in the first place.

Rossana alongside Sam and a driver was a great lineup that actually was informative and fun to listen to.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

boop the snoot posted:

if you get her back you won’t have much idiot fucker poo poo left to do so I agree with this plan

apart from earnestly supporting ferrari in this thread against all logic, reasoning and my therapist's desperate pleas for my mental wellbeing.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

net work error posted:

Rossana alongside Sam and a driver was a great lineup that actually was informative and fun to listen to.

This. Sounds like Sam will still be playing some role although will suck if he's been demoted out the booth to just do technical bits (which he is great at, but would rather he was in the booth). And Rosanna was excellent, plus losing a woman from the team will feel like a step back.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

boop the snoot posted:

shut up crofty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I prepped for the new season by watching dumb text to speech meme videos of last season and by laughing at Drive to Survive.