Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
As you may know if you read my post history, my mom died last weekend. She choked to death and it really sucks! It sucks! The holidays suck. This is a megathread for posting if you are sad about your family being dead on the holidays or else just sad about the holidays. Wish me luck for drinking a big fat beer on christmas morning as my toddler son opens some lovely presents while he looks for his doting grandmother who isn't there.

P.S. In-laws are dysfunctional and they suck, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Sorry for your loss OP ):

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
my wife's last grandparent just died, like right now, back in the old country. 10 years of missing funerals. i gotta go upstairs

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, dead parents suck, and most of us don't even get to be Batman about it.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Is there an application process to join the dead parent society

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5RZ8k6iQik
replace gradma with mom

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
I'm gonna miss her for sure.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Is there an application process to join the dead parent society

they accepted me and i didn't even put in for an application

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I lost my brother just yesterday morning. He was the coolest guy I know. He's 9 years older than me and I always looked up to him.

He was on and off drugs since his early or mid teens but he always wanted to live a fast life. He died at age 38 which is longer than I thought he'd live. He OD'ed several times, got into so many car accidents that should've killed him several times over. He was air lifted 3 times. One of the heart to hearts we started having was when he was in the hospital room, my parents just left so that we could talk. We cried together and he told me he never wanted to put me through this again. I believe him even now, having died from a OD.

He didn't want to do it.

We went down to Trenton, where his body was just moved from. It was a legitimate crackhouse, something you'd see on the wire. The smell of dirty litter times 100 smacked your face as you walked in to be greeted by his 'friend' and dealer, some random old cracked out black dude and a few hobbling heroin addicted prostitutes. One of them was convinced he loved her. I know my brother and that he was just using her for heroin. My mom was pissed.

She was yelling at them, asking why he is hanging out with "people like you". I thought they'd freak out but they instead made excuses that they were admittedly not looking great but 'on the right path'. They were all high on heroin. I know what it looks like. My whole family does.

We took his things out of the room. He died on the bed I was putting things on, I saw stains which were from I assume his vomit. He was found face down. I hate that he died here.

He has a picture of his sister Mandy, she died in 2010 from heroin (I say his sister as we are half brothers though I don't consider us this). Her death pained him his whole life. He had this picture everywhere. From when he stayed with us, to florida, north carolina, wherever it took him to 'get away' which lead him to more drugs. He died with this picture facing the bed. I took it and put it with his things. I hate that he is putting me through this now. It would kill him to know how much pain I feel for him. He loved me with everything he had. I'm so sorry that he's gone.

My brother was big on motocross, cars, he was essentially a kid his whole life. Very immature but an extremely kind and generous person. He never had a dollar to his name but if he found one he'd give you it if you needed it. The stories I have (and I aim to get many more) make him seem like a folk lore legend of northern New Jersey but he really did all these insanely cool things.

He lied a lot when he was using. All addicts do. I did get to see glimmers of my real brother for spurts of months when he was better but I only started to get to know him in my early 20s (now I'm 30).

I absolutely adore my brother. He lived fast. He had a totally different life than I did. Even now with everything, I still look up to him. He's still the coolest person I've ever known. Handsome and extremely charismatic, he has known more people that died that I ever known at all. From illegal street races to drugs to murder.

I loving love my brother. I hate so much that he's gone. I'm mad at him but that wont last. I just loving love my brother. I miss him.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

thabk you i now finally understand "crinnge"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My half-brother's half-sister's mom died last Tuesday. Pneumonia at 70.
My sister's best friend died last Thursday. Massive heart attack at 45, dropped dead at her own Christmas party.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Slumpy posted:

I lost my brother just yesterday morning. He was the coolest guy I know. He's 9 years older than me and I always looked up to him.

He was on and off drugs since his early or mid teens but he always wanted to live a fast life. He died at age 38 which is longer than I thought he'd live. He OD'ed several times, got into so many car accidents that should've killed him several times over. He was air lifted 3 times. One of the heart to hearts we started having was when he was in the hospital room, my parents just left so that we could talk. We cried together and he told me he never wanted to put me through this again. I believe him even now, having died from a OD.

He didn't want to do it.

We went down to Trenton, where his body was just moved from. It was a legitimate crackhouse, something you'd see on the wire. The smell of dirty litter times 100 smacked your face as you walked in to be greeted by his 'friend' and dealer, some random old cracked out black dude and a few hobbling heroin addicted prostitutes. One of them was convinced he loved her. I know my brother and that he was just using her for heroin. My mom was pissed.

She was yelling at them, asking why he is hanging out with "people like you". I thought they'd freak out but they instead made excuses that they were admittedly not looking great but 'on the right path'. They were all high on heroin. I know what it looks like. My whole family does.

We took his things out of the room. He died on the bed I was putting things on, I saw stains which were from I assume his vomit. He was found face down. I hate that he died here.

He has a picture of his sister Mandy, she died in 2010 from heroin (I say his sister as we are half brothers though I don't consider us this). Her death pained him his whole life. He had this picture everywhere. From when he stayed with us, to florida, north carolina, wherever it took him to 'get away' which lead him to more drugs. He died with this picture facing the bed. I took it and put it with his things. I hate that he is putting me through this now. It would kill him to know how much pain I feel for him. He loved me with everything he had. I'm so sorry that he's gone.

My brother was big on motocross, cars, he was essentially a kid his whole life. Very immature but an extremely kind and generous person. He never had a dollar to his name but if he found one he'd give you it if you needed it. The stories I have (and I aim to get many more) make him seem like a folk lore legend of northern New Jersey but he really did all these insanely cool things.

He lied a lot when he was using. All addicts do. I did get to see glimmers of my real brother for spurts of months when he was better but I only started to get to know him in my early 20s (now I'm 30).

I absolutely adore my brother. He lived fast. He had a totally different life than I did. Even now with everything, I still look up to him. He's still the coolest person I've ever known. Handsome and extremely charismatic, he has known more people that died that I ever known at all. From illegal street races to drugs to murder.

I loving love my brother. I hate so much that he's gone. I'm mad at him but that wont last. I just loving love my brother. I miss him.

holy poo poo im so sorry Slumpy that is beyond hosed up no one should have to go through that experience

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sid Vicious posted:

thabk you i now finally understand "crinnge"

always here to help sid

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Slumpy posted:

He didn't want to do it.

RIP

my 19 year old cousin did that this august in North Bergen. i've relapsed in Trenton. it is a bad place

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

My half-brother's half-sister's mom died last Tuesday. Pneumonia at 70.

and I thought my family was wild.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

holy poo poo im so sorry Slumpy that is beyond hosed up no one should have to go through that experience

Thanks. My girlfriend came with me. I was ashamed that she had to see the conditions he died in but she was aware of his past and the struggles we all went through with his addiction. She was and is still a great help. I just got done telling her about my thoughts on my brother and all the poo poo he did, bad and good.

I'm not going to be good for a long while, his death has started me wishing for an after life just so I can feel like he's alright. Even if there isn't, at least he doesn't have to lie to us anymore. To feel like he's disappointing us.

I was the last one to see him alive, only 2 weeks ago. He helped me fix my car and we went shooting together. He said he had a blast. I got him some food from my favorite Indian spot and I'm now so glad he liked it. I'm glad we had that day together.

His last text to me was on Thursday to tell me he was doing alright. It wasn't true. I'm not mad about it. I guess I sort of am but he hated disappointing me. Ultimately again I still am not disappointed with him despite everything. I should be but I still see him as this paul bunyan figure, someone who shouldn't exist in real life. He was the closest thing you could get to being a rock star while also having several negative balances across all your accounts.

We told each other that we loved one another all the time. I at least have that. I broke into his phone and now I have all of his pictures, videos, everything he had saved online (bad and good).

He was such a cool loving guy. God I miss him. Thanks again Sid.

kntfkr posted:

RIP

my 19 year old cousin did that this august in North Bergen. i've relapsed in Trenton. it is a bad place

Hell on earth. I'm not kidding.

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2021

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
My mother was an opera singer, and when I was a kid she would rehearse in the basement and rattle the house. Later in life she became a social worker and then a therapist for the VA. She really never did anything that anyone could misconstrue as bad.

She had a real drinking problem, though. She was an anti-depressants and she liked to drink. In March I gave her an ultimatum, that she had to quit drinking or I wouldn't let her see my 2 year old son or the new baby that was coming. And just like that she quit. She quit smoking too, ostensibly to have more time with them.

Then on 12/3 she was off work because she got her covid booster and called in sick. My stepdad too so they were off together and to celebrate she was frying some steaks around 3 pm. She never ate red meat. They sat down on the couch together and she talked about how she was "really right" with god. Then she went outside to pound some peppercorns in a cloth with a hammer (she was weird). She went back into the kitchen and my stepdad didn't hear from her for a while so he went in to check on her and noticed the burner on the stove was off and steak wasn't all the way done. He called to her and she stumbled out of the bathroom which is adjacent to the kitchen, bringing her hands to about breast level, then fell to the right, striking her head on the window sill and landing between two potted plants. She was already turning blue.

He called 911 who ascertained he had a dog there and despite him saying he needed to perform CPR told him to put the dog in a room or else they would call off the 911 call. So he did. He says he heard her breathing a little bit and so that might be why it took so long but it took them 25 minutes (so I'm told) to get there. And then they put an oxygen mask on her without clearing her throat. I dunno the whole thing is so hosed who even knows? There's more but from here it gets into heresay. She's dead and suing them or getting mad at them or my stepdad for what they didn't do doesn't bring her back. Ho ho ho happy holidays!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Slumpy posted:

Thanks. My girlfriend came with me. I was ashamed that she had to see the conditions he died in but she was aware of his past and the struggles we all went through with his addiction. She was and is still a great help. I just got done telling her about my thoughts on my brother and all the poo poo he did, bad and good.

I'm not going to be good for a long while, his death has started me wishing for an after life just so I can feel like he's alright. Even if there isn't, at least he doesn't have to lie to us anymore. To feel like he's disappointing us.

I was the last one to see him alive, only 2 weeks ago. He helped me fix my car and we went shooting together. He said he had a blast. I got him some food from my favorite Indian spot and I'm now so glad he liked it. I'm glad we had that day together.

His last text to me was on Thursday to tell me he was doing alright. It wasn't true. I'm not mad about it. I guess I sort of am but he hated disappointing me. Ultimately again I still am not disappointed with him despite everything. I should be but I still see him as this paul bunyan figure, someone who shouldn't exist in real life. He was the closest thing you could get to being a rock star while also having several negative balances across all your accounts.

We told each other that we loved one another all the time. I at least have that. I broke into his phone and now I have all of his pictures, videos, everything he had saved online (bad and good).

He was such a cool loving guy. God I miss him. Thanks again Sid.

that really sucks dude. Stay strong

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!
Yeah sucks. My dad died in his sleep in 2008 this week. He either died in his sleep of natural causes or killed himself. He was 62.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that really sucks dude. Stay strong

Thanks, I'm a teacher and if I can get through this week then I have 2 weeks to lay in bed and grieve. I get 2 days a year in case someone dies for grievance so if we have a funeral I'm gonna have to use sick days. Then if my son or wife dies I guess I have to use sick days to mourn them too. But I'm an ESL teacher so my job's easier than a classroom teacher so I really can't complain and I mean that. These days don't roll over. Man, somethingawful is a great place to learn about how the U.S. is really hosed up as I'm learning with that sticked thread about the cancer patient who is fighting with the insurance companies.

I think all these fat cats are gonna get a lump of coal this year!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Indiana posted:

Yeah sucks. My dad died in his sleep in 2008 this week. He either died in his sleep of natural causes or killed himself. He was 62.

I would say I'm sorry but now I realize it won't make you feel any better. I hope you and I can both find peace if you haven't already found it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
my mom died a year and a half ago, although it was a long wasting disease and she spent the better part of a decade dying. towards the end she said that if she had to do it all over again she would have stopped the meds years ago. she fought and suffered so much for our sake and it sucked having to stand by and watch and not be able to do anything to fix it. I'm glad her pain is over now but I still miss her.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
My dad died when I was 16 and my mom has never really recovered, or even admitted that her issues come from a ton of depression. OP sorry to hear about this, but your certainly not alone and idk how old you are or whatever but i'd encorage you to seek out whatever help you need. You'll be alright, and you have alot to keep goign for i'm sure. poo poo sucks but try not to let it color everything, you don't want to fall into a hole.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
It's always horrible when we lose some one we love. My dad is on his last legs and I'm not really sure how to handle it. It loving sucks

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I'm sorry for the people suffering in this thread. My dad died about 5 years ago and it was a rough time. Still is sometimes. It never got better but it's different now. Holidays can be especially weird. I'm driving up to my stepmother's and thinking "Oh, he won't be there. I forgot." It's a pretty strange thing when someone who has always just been there isn't anymore.

Best thing I was told was whatever you're feeling right now is the right thing. If you're sad, if you're happy, if you're angry, if you are crying or you can't cry, if you feel nothing at all, it's OK. It's what you're supposed to be feeling right now. Don't judge it, you're going through what you have to for you. Try to be there for others who are hurting, and try to let them be there for you.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

and I thought my family was wild.

Mom's ex gave up on wife 4, lol.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
my mom accused my wife of being infertile this thanksgiving because we got the covid shot

she's not dead, but between that and the qanon screeds she's increasingly dead to me and it's weird to live in a world where you never want to see your mom again

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's always horrible when we lose some one we love. My dad is on his last legs and I'm not really sure how to handle it. It loving sucks

What timing. This is always a lovely part but for what its worth an internet stranger is pulling for you.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

All my family that I care about and/or talk to are alive, but I've tried to mentally prepare myself for when they do die. Especially when I was living overseas for years at a time, I was always in the back of my mind imagining getting an email titled "Your dad passed away" or something. Luckily that never happened.

The good news, if there is any, is that I'll probably get a nice bit of money from it since my father at least lived like a monk due to his terribly poor childhood (conditions that he then subsequently subjected my brother and I to). I'll probably inherit their fairly nice house too that they bought 30 years ago which is now in a highly desired area, so I can rent that out for $3000 a month (not including repair money to be set aside) or something and basically retire on that income alone. That, or I'll just sell the house and move back overseas where things are cheaper, pay off a smaller house in a more sane country that my wife is from, and then again basically just retire. Thanks, Ghost Dad.

That said I'd pass on all of that if it meant I could be with my mom and/or dad for another day.

I've had friends whose parents died years ago, and one piece of "advice" that stuck with me is "it sucks, but it can literally only happen once". One of my good friends' dads is going through some serious health problems. He lost a ton of weight and apparently lies in bed all day. I think he must have cancer and their family is keeping it pretty close to the vest. Sucks too because he's a good guy and I dread having to go to the funeral and wake.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 14, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Slumpy posted:

if i loved dope and not speed, i probably would have died on south broad street last year. america's hosed up.

was your brother ever in the rooms? like sporadically, or at times?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Mom's ex gave up on wife 4, lol.

quitter

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Very sorry about this OP. At least Nooner won't be trying anymore to bang her.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

AcidRonin posted:

What timing. This is always a lovely part but for what its worth an internet stranger is pulling for you.

means a lot. Thank you

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nooner posted:

Sorry for your loss OP ):

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

kntfkr posted:

was your brother ever in the rooms? like sporadically, or at times?

not sure what you mean sorry

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Slumpy posted:

AA/NA here around NJ

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Slumpy posted:

I think that means the "padded rooms" aka he was taken away to a rehab center or a mental health center, either with or against his will.

edit: well nevermind I guess lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
nah sorry. in the rooms is just aa speak for meetings

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Im prolly gonna kill myself when my dad dies lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

runnypoops posted:

Im prolly gonna kill myself when my dad dies lol

not a cool thing to joke about dude