Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here is a thread to discuss the most recent attempt at spring football. This time, they have the actual nostalgic names!

You can look up the info wherever. Season is proposed to start in April. Go Gamblers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Can someone Photoshop Rob Lowe with this usfl hat

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rebrand of The Spring League?

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

You can look up the info wherever.

Fine, I will!

https://www.usfl2.com/

The teams are:

New Jersey Generals
Michigan Panthers
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

With a name like "Maulers," it might be time to root for a football team in Pittsburgh!

All games are going to be played at the University of Alabama at Birmingham stadium. What the gently caress.

This looks so halfcocked, there is no way this succeeds. Edit: they are supposed to start in April and the teams don't even have players/rosters yet. It's not even clear how they are going to go about filling out the actual rosters.

MarquisDeCarabas fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 15, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how come chicago hasn't gotten a team with any of the phoney baloney spring football boondoggles, i want a hat for a team that will certainly be defunct in a month that says like Chicago Rabies.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Fine, I will!

https://www.usfl2.com/

All games are going to be played at the University of Alabama at Birmingham stadium. What the gently caress.

I want to point this out, because it's easy to overlook. They are planing to do a bubble season with ALL GAMES being played in Birmmingham. Every. Single. Game. I mean if that's the plan, why give them names with locations in them?!?!? The Birmingham Iron of the AAFL did alright attendance wise, getting 15K+ fans more often then not, but I can't imagine anyone in Alabama being excited to see the NEW JERSEY Generals or the PHILADELPHIA Stars. Plus that field is going to be a mess, 8 teams, 4 games a weekend.

This whole thing is either a con or it's going to be a bigger mess then the AAFL

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's actually two stadia, Legion Field and Protective Stadium.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

This looks so halfcocked, there is no way this succeeds. Edit: they are supposed to start in April and the teams don't even have players/rosters yet. It's not even clear how they are going to go about filling out the actual rosters.

...and learning playbooks, and practicing, and...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

New Jersey Generals
Michigan Panthers
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

Interesting that Houston is the westernmost team. I guess it will cut on travel costs.

syzpid posted:

I want to point this out, because it's easy to overlook. They are planing to do a bubble season with ALL GAMES being played in Birmmingham. Every. Single. Game. I mean if that's the plan, why give them names with locations in them?!?!? The Birmingham Iron of the AAFL did alright attendance wise, getting 15K+ fans more often then not, but I can't imagine anyone in Alabama being excited to see the NEW JERSEY Generals or the PHILADELPHIA Stars. Plus that field is going to be a mess, 8 teams, 4 games a weekend.

This whole thing is either a con or it's going to be a bigger mess then the AAFL

Huh. They better make some money from licensing it to TV that's all I can say

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Gonna have a hard time cheering for the Bandits.

https://twitter.com/USFLBandits/status/1479171694975614976?s=20

Other coaches are Kevin Sumlin, Mike Riley, and whatever a Bart Andrus is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I just want Kevin Sumlin to be okay

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Houston has a team and an NFL team, but austin has 0? Good job dumb asses

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Go Generals

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the AAF and XFL helped me appreciate RBs who take less than 5 years to get back to the line of scrimmage and WRs who can occasionally catch a football

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1486774050613600264

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Probably a smart move. There's going to be almost no time to train or get these guys ready for the season. Much like the original XFL. So the games going to be played like something out of the 60s and 70s, perfect for a coach whose gameplan is stuck there too.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

where marvin.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Cavauro posted:

where marvin.

At Arizona State as a special advisor to Herm Edwards.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

:mad:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have Marvin Lewis do commentary like he did for the AAF.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
isn't the xfl coming back too or something. why are they doing two at once

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Play posted:

isn't the xfl coming back too or something. why are they doing two at once

because both of them will last through like 60% of a season

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I tried to articulate words here but it's mostly just :psyduck: over everything. It's being run like a startup that has a tech stack but no product that people want.

The whole thing's going to live or die from gambling money, isn't it.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

really missed spring football last year

go breakers?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tom Brady, retired NFL fraud, is probably going to sign with one of these teams because we live in Hell.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tom Brady, retired NFL fraud, is probably going to sign with one of these teams because we live in Hell.

Tom Bandit Ball

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Actually a Jeff Fisher-Tom Brady team up would unironically own.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Actually a Jeff Fisher-Tom Brady team up would unironically own.

Tom Brady winning a championship with Jeff Fisher as his coach, in literally any context, would be his all time accomplishment.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If Fisher wins the first five games and then the league folds I'd argue that still counts as a .500

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Does Vegas have betting odds on whether or not this league starts?

What about finishing all scheduled games?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
gently caress yeah it's time for the USFL draft

Pullin' hard for the MICHIGAN PANTHERS and COACH JEFF FISHER

WE GOT THE #1 PICK, BAYBAY

edit: Shea Patterson? Jesus Christ

surf rock fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 23, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
On account of the fact that I was already subject to Shea Patterson’s tepid scaredy cat QB bullshit once already at Michigan, I think that i’m gonna have to skip Panthers games until he gets benched or traded or released.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finally found a draft tracker: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/usfl-draft-every-pick-of-the-draft

1. Michigan Panthers: Shea Patterson, Michigan (loving goddammit)
2. Tampa Bay Bandits: Jordan Ta’amu, Mississippi
3. Philadelphia Stars: Bryan Scott, Occidental College
4. New Jersey Generals: Ben Holmes, Tarleton State
5. Houston Gamblers: Clayton Thorson, Northwestern
6. Birmingham Stallions: Alex McGough, Florida International
7. Pittsburgh Maulers: Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
8. New Orleans Breakers: Kyle Sloter, Northern Colorado

Inspirational

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/USFLPanthers/status/1496283189542891527?t=vS74piAXp_dRcqEDUtD2vA&s=19

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

surf rock posted:

Finally found a draft tracker: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/usfl/usfl-draft-every-pick-of-the-draft

7. Pittsburgh Maulers: Kyle Lauletta, Richmond

Inspirational

Didn't he do something really stupid before the Giants finally released him? Not that his career stat line is anything, 0 for 5, 1 INT for a 0.0 QB rating. Might as well get the best QB you can find from a 2nd division school and give him a shot at this point.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

surf rock posted:

8. New Orleans Breakers: Kyle Sloter, Northern Colorado

Inspirational

Kyle Sloter was supposed to be the chosen one. Sad to see him fall so far in the draft.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I keep googling these guys to see if they are familiar to me at all, and I want to know who is the maniac that is not only watching the USFL Draft, but is then running to Wikipedia to update the teams of everyone who is drafted?!?!?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

As someone who almost solely watches the NFL, it's insane how few of these players I know. I'd heard of half the QBs in the first round, and then over the next five rounds, I knew only one player (Isaiah Battle, lol).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

clayton thorson, motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Somewhere I have a Tampa Bay Bandits team photo poster I got from a Tampa area Subway in 1985. Does it still apply as prior fandom for this Bandits?