Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

soggybagel posted:

To me it does make sense (if you're trying to be cheap) to have all the games in one location. Anecdotally I had heard too there was a big fear that there could be a hypothetical Covid spike back when they were planning the league so better to have everyone in a vague bubble location...again this was months ago. But of course it does make any location based thing like "I'm rooting for Houston" a bit moot.

Good news! There will be a Covid spike and just no one will give a poo poo because everyone has decided it's over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

General Dog posted:

Why do they keep trying this

At least with gambling legalised in so many more place it makes a little more sense than past attempts. But I don't see that being enough to make this stick anymore than the last 20 failed spring leagues

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well they landed on a name for this dumb thing

https://twitter.com/USFLBreakers/status/1514959513413206017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That screams 90s edginess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao literally duffman

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’m a breakers fan!!!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

That screams 90s edginess.

Yeah, I'm a Breakers fan now

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/USFLStars/status/1514957171888427010?t=rC8zlmVKETFPsXmf8ObzGQ&s=19

BLOB

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It must be hell to be Blob. Just "do you know Gritty?" All day every day.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Blob fucks.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Maybe but I'm not sure consensually

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

It must be hell to be Blob. Just "do you know Gritty?" All day every day.

Yeah but Gritty owns

pasaluki posted:

Maybe but I'm not sure consensually

Blob is the Dennis Reynolds of the Philly mascots.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Blob is the Frank Stallone to Gritty’s Sylvester.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just hope when this league eventually folds in a month that Blob lives on, just showing up to random sporting events and birthday parties throughout the city

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

General Dog posted:

Blob is the Frank Stallone to Gritty’s Sylvester.

:hmmyes:

Why am I excited for this weekend

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"Being on the blob" is British slang for menstruating.

Just what came to mind

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
For some degenerate reason I tuned into 3 different football leagues yesterday and the USFL game was by far the fastest/felt most like real football.

I also watched some Fan Controlled Football which had T.O. on commentary not understanding the gimmick and declaring how he'd beat anyone on the field at any position (I think he may have played a few snaps in an earlier game). Felt like watching a college intramural game

Lastly watched some Womens Football League between the Slam and the Vixen. Only saw one drive - the Slam late in the 4th down by 30 points lol. Their QB's throwing motion looked like a siege weapon

Believe the USFL game was the only broadcast that had any attendance

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

beggar posted:

For some degenerate reason I tuned into 3 different football leagues yesterday and the USFL game was by far the fastest/felt most like real football.

I also watched some Fan Controlled Football which had T.O. on commentary not understanding the gimmick and declaring how he'd beat anyone on the field at any position (I think he may have played a few snaps in an earlier game). Felt like watching a college intramural game

Lastly watched some Womens Football League between the Slam and the Vixen. Only saw one drive - the Slam late in the 4th down by 30 points lol. Their QB's throwing motion looked like a siege weapon

Believe the USFL game was the only broadcast that had any attendance

I've been to a few women's football games over the years. They can be fun because if a team has 1 or 2 players that are really talented they can just take over the game. A few years ago I watched an RB named Spring Gamble run over 2-3 players on nearly every one of her runs. Just an absolute beast the whole game. I think part of the problem is that the coaches are usually men, and considering it's semi-pro, the QBs just don't have the arm strength or mechanics to push the ball downfield most of the time. But instead of screens, slants and short passes they still have their players trying to throw the ball downfield, so you end up with these receivers 15 yards downfield and trying to come back for a pass that's only making it 10 yards out.

WNFC ( I was at one of their games yesterday) claimed that they had 200K viewers of their streams yesterday which crashed their streaming site.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Second ever game missed opening kickoff because of a weather delay, so they're going to show yesterday's game I guess?

They have a triple-header today so...did they sell three sets of tickets or is it one ticket for all-you-can-stand football?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

oldskool posted:

Second ever game missed opening kickoff because of a weather delay, so they're going to show yesterday's game I guess?

They have a triple-header today so...did they sell three sets of tickets or is it one ticket for all-you-can-stand football?

Someone said earlier in the thread that they are playing at two different fields in Birmingham. So it's probably game 1 Field A, game 2 Field B while Field A is cleaned up for game 3.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

syzpid posted:

Someone said earlier in the thread that they are playing at two different fields in Birmingham. So it's probably game 1 Field A, game 2 Field B while Field A is cleaned up for game 3.

They're all at Protective Stadium. I believe the deal was today you could buy a ticket and be able to attend all 3 games. I'm sure the attendance to this first game was going to be super low and add in lovely weather and I imagine it's going to be way emptier today than it was last night.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my guy clayton looks like a dog poo poo

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Gee golly gosh how could anyone have anticipated that Shea Patterson would suck at football

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I watched a couple of quarters of the New Jersey game and it seemed pretty competitive and fun. If that's the actual standard of play, and not just a happy accident, it is certainly good enough for spring football.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/1515921487793995776?t=6tdx458jeUxvKIB68_GhBg&s=19

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

syzpid posted:

I've been to a few women's football games over the years. They can be fun because if a team has 1 or 2 players that are really talented they can just take over the game. A few years ago I watched an RB named Spring Gamble run over 2-3 players on nearly every one of her runs. Just an absolute beast the whole game. I think part of the problem is that the coaches are usually men, and considering it's semi-pro, the QBs just don't have the arm strength or mechanics to push the ball downfield most of the time. But instead of screens, slants and short passes they still have their players trying to throw the ball downfield, so you end up with these receivers 15 yards downfield and trying to come back for a pass that's only making it 10 yards out.

WNFC ( I was at one of their games yesterday) claimed that they had 200K viewers of their streams yesterday which crashed their streaming site.

This made me curious so I looked up some games on youtube. I think I saw a grand total of 1 pass attempted. If you're big into :schotty: this seems like the league for you.

There also seemed to an injury on literally every play. Which I suppose isn't surprising for "reasonably in shape amateurs" vs the insane physical freaks pumped full of drugs we're used to watching.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

They cut him for being disrespectful because he didn’t want to eat chicken salad? That’s the dumbest poo poo i think I’ve ever heard

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

They cut him for being disrespectful because he didn’t want to eat chicken salad? That’s the dumbest poo poo i think I’ve ever heard

This is the sort of stupidity you can only get in the USFL.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

syzpid posted:

All of the games are at Protective Stadium, which is the brand-new downtown stadium. Week (I think) 7's games are at Legion Field (an almost 100-year old ruin of a stadium) because Protective is holding a Garth Brooks concert that weekend, and Week 10 is also at Legion Field because Protective is getting set up to host the opening ceremony of the World Games, the dollar-store Olympics that Birmingham is hosting this summer.

The USFL playoffs (should they get that far) will be played at Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton, OH.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/USFLMaulers/status/1516176030205194253?t=CETGjZemehACC6G1-bzSoA&s=19

https://twitter.com/i_BSmith4/status/1516176664975323137?t=oqinnpNvFcOJ7L7WXA5x4Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/i_BSmith4/status/1516191122246160385?t=yUjeQT3SXycbE_A0wcCLIQ&s=19

:munch:

shyduck fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 19, 2022

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Reality show football

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oliver Twist poo poo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Whatever it takes to make that poo poo entertaining keep it coming.

There are people who actually enjoy professional wrestling so hell, some manufactured B league football drama would not be above society

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That actually sounds like a viable TV show

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would rather a professional sports franchise not fire a player and drag his character to jump ratings on a reality show.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That's also what appears to be the shittiest team in the league who just got blown out and only scored three points

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

"we captured hundreds of hours of footage for our reality show, but we couldn't find a single second of corroborating evidence to show, and nobody was willing to say on the record that anything happened. but despite us showing footage saying one thing happened, actually three things totally happened and also he came back crawling on his hands and knees begging for a second chance"
lmao

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Can these teams add free agents during the season? Cause I feel like there are significant numbers of guys out there that might be interested but maybe weren't available or didn't originally submit to the draft (or whatever that process entailed).

Looking at the pay structure every player is paid the same except for bonuses for wins and a championship. So I'm not really sure how free agency works but maybe you could cut one player and add another.

quote:

Unlike the NFL, each USFL player is compensated the same amount. According to USFL News, each player on an active roster is paid $4,500 per game, which ends up being $45,000 for the season if a player remains on the active roster for the entire 10-game regular season. Players on the practice squad earn $1,500 per week, a $15,000 payout if a player remains on the practice squad for the entire regular season. Players were also given $600 per week during their team's four-week training camp.

Now here's where it gets interesting. For each win, players receive an additional $850. A member of the USFL's championship team will receive $10,000. So while the base salary is $45,000, a player could earn nearly $70,000 if his team is able to go undefeated while being a mainstay on the roster.

600 per week during training camp is pretty brutal lol. Yeah they were given room and board but that doesn't mean they don't have to pay rent somewhere else, they probably do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

All games are going to be played at the University of Alabama at Birmingham stadium. What the gently caress.

I missed that this was starting and surely it's been noted several times, but reading a recap of the first week I'm like...unless you have a lot more grounds crew and money than I believe you do you cannot do this with men playing football. Every week.

That poo poo's hard enough to keep going in city leagues with 6-8 year olds. I guess there are only 4 games a week so that helps some, but still that seems like a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I missed that this was starting and surely it's been noted several times, but reading a recap of the first week I'm like...unless you have a lot more grounds crew and money than I believe you do you cannot do this with men playing football. Every week.

That poo poo's hard enough to keep going in city leagues with 6-8 year olds. I guess there are only 4 games a week so that helps some, but still that seems like a nightmare.

It actually saves a shitload of money to do it all in one place, which is the main reason why they're doing it that way. Instead of paying eight sets of ground crews and all other employees you just pay one larger group. All the teams share one set of facilities, they basically have rented out one entire hotel which I'm sure they saved a lot of money on compared to travel and hotel costs if teams are moving all around.

I don't think in person tickets are seen as a large or even crucial form of revenue. It's all about the contracts with NBC, Fox, etc. which will have to keep them afloat. And should be enough to do so provided they have enough money finish out the season.

Here's what wikipedia says of their funding:

quote:

Fox Sports owns the league and has reportedly committed $150 million–$200 million over three years to its operations, with plans to attract an additional $250 million from investors. For the 2022 season, tickets would be sold at $10 per person, with children aged 15 and under free.

Fox certainly doesn't lack money to fund it if it shows any signs of being successful. Which I honestly thing it will, I feel like football fans have been wanting a spring league for a long long time and it was just lack of financing and lovely luck that prevented the previous couple from succeeding.

If you just mean the grass itself, yeah that may be tough but teams practice daily on a certain field and they're able to keep it going.