Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's not real grass either.

On top of that gate receipts really don't matter at all. Obviously the optics of an empty stadium are ripe to be mocked, but tickets are 10 dollars and its all GA. They could have zero people attend all year. It's literally all about hitting a minimum threshold of ratings across the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I’m still bummed the AAF turned out to be an elaborate grift to get a gambling app built and never actually had enough money to succeed. It seemed to have some decent momentum (for a spring league) and I actually found the games watchable. Plus it fulfilled our dreams of finally getting to see Hackenberg play professional football, and he was just as dreadful as we knew he would be.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Birmingham itself absolutely does not lack for places to practice football in a semi-professional environment.

Just in the first episode of the "United by Football" show, I saw them practicing at Miles College, Legion Field, Samford University's practice facility, and at Protective Stadium itself. All of those (with the possible exception of Samford, I couldn't tell) were FieldTurf fields, so no wear on the grass.

I'm sure they're going to use Birmingham Southern's field, and probably UAB's facility as well. There are multiple -high schools- in the Birmingham area with relatively new FieldTurf fields they could use.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

Fox certainly doesn't lack money to fund it if it shows any signs of being successful. Which I honestly thing it will, I feel like football fans have been wanting a spring league for a long long time and it was just lack of financing and lovely luck that prevented the previous couple from succeeding.

Didn't Donald Trump personally ruin one of the incarnations of the USFL? Like, the most successful incarnation with Herschel Walker?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

PostNouveau posted:

Didn't Donald Trump personally ruin one of the incarnations of the USFL? Like, the most successful incarnation with Herschel Walker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxMCLHXkVc

Yeah

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yep. Same person who basically salted the earth for spring football is red state Messiah. Nothing is sacred to them....

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The ESPN app has the xfl but doesn't have the USFL.

I didn't even realize they had started this week until I saw something about it online yesterday.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The athletic posted:

Saturday night’s USFL reboot premiere simulcast on Fox and NBC averaged 3.06 million viewers for New Jersey-Birmingham.

On Easter Sunday, the hour-delayed Houston-Michigan game kicked off just before 1 p.m. and averaged 2.15 million viewers on NBC, while the 5 p.m. Philadelphia-New Orleans game averaged 771,000 viewers on USA Network.

...if the day-delayed Monday evening game averaged 500,000 viewers on FS1, it would be a major victory because it would mean viewers are willing to seek out the new league on TV.

That's good!

The athletic after getting the numbers posted:

The USFL game played at 7p.m. ET Monday on FS1 after being bumped from its Sunday night slot because of bad weather, averaged just 268,000 viewers...

... by contrast, TNT's NBA playoff pregame show starting at the same time averaged 779,000 viewers.

welp

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

oldskool posted:

That's good!

welp

Does anyone know what FS1's average ratings are? It looks like they normally float around 300K? Comparing TNT to FS1 doesn't really seem fair when it comes to reach.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I would assume ratings will decline a bit and then mostly level out in week three or four once people watching for the novelty stop and you are just getting real football fans who just want to watch any kind of football. The product in terms of production was pretty good, a few flubs here and there but the gimmicks of having almost everyone including coaches miced up, drone shots, some kind of remote reffing (I didn't see the details) and helmet cams are all pretty unique. Even if the helmet cams made me feel quite ill and didn't work as well as I might've thought.

To me those ratings look pretty strong, especially for the first games that were on time and during peak viewing hours. And again, being supported by Fox is huge, Fox airs shows that get way less ratings than that and has plenty of money to throw around if it even seems remotely possible that it could be a success.

They are also basically paying the players poverty wages and taking advantage of the idea that this could be their pathway to the NFL (maybe some will fill out rosters here and there but the vast majority have no chance unfortunately), so that definitely helps the bottom line.

I actually thought the AAF was the best and most entertaining of all three of these leagues so far. They had the best quarterbacks, several of whom are now backups in the NFL, and the play was exciting. Too bad the entire thing was financially rotten and possibly corrupt. Then the XFL was okay but got murked by covid, you couldn't really expect anything different to happen in that case.

USFL seems to have the best chance by far of all of them to succeed. I do hope the play improves though, most of the quarterbacks were pretty terrible in their first outing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fitting there'd be no gdt when theres an actual good game happening lol

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I thought about making one, but couldn't think of a title lol

It has been a good game, tho!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Case Cookus played the majority of a football game but nobody saw it because it was on Peacock

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I think we're getting to the point we do in all these leagues, that the coach no longer trusts any of the QBs so it's ground and pound time baby.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

Case Cookus played the majority of a football game but nobody saw it because it was on Peacock

OTOH Peacock has Columbo episodes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OTOH Peacock has Columbo episodes.

So does every free streaming service like Tubi

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
MacGruber is legitimately very good as a tv series. Go watch it!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Extremely USFL headline
https://www.cbs42.com/sports/usfl/i...e-in-his-mouth/

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its not often you see a football game played on the east coast kick off at 10:20 PM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

e: wrong thread

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
In some Fan Controlled Football news TO is traded in a league that redrafts every week:

And how can we commemorate this? You guessed it!

quote:

The Knight’s owners are clearly excited about adding a Hall of Fame WR to their roster as they prepare to avenge their only loss of the season this weekend. As a team powered by fans who hold one of the unique FCF Ballerz Collective Knights NFTs, they have already welcome TO to their community by incorporating unique Knights Baller #4312 as part of his signing bonus for joining the squad. While the open mint for the Knights Ballerz has sold out, fans wanting to call plays for TO this season can join the party by buying one on OpenSea and then registering in the FCF App for their team.

Also there is a team named Bored Ape FC.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Is it too late to rename the commanders that?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Terrell Owens' football career will outlive .nfts.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Anyone even watching this weekend?

I was amused because they said while the other team running a QB platoon has designed the offense differently to play towards each QBs strengths, they said Skip Holtz (Birmingham) is running the same offense for both QBs he's platooning with no changes.

Edit: Also it does seem that they get a pretty decent crowd in the building when Birmingham plays. At least compared to what I've seen.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 15, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

syzpid posted:

I was amused because they said while the other team running a QB platoon has designed the offense differently to play towards each QBs strengths, they said Skip Holtz (Birmingham) is running the same offense for both QBs he's platooning with no changes.

Edit: Also it does seem that they get a pretty decent crowd in the building when Birmingham plays. At least compared to what I've seen.

yeah im watchin

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

syzpid posted:

It looks like the crowd is down today probably partly because it started during church hours (who the gently caress is scheduling this?)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Raku posted:

It looks like the crowd is down today probably partly because it started during church hours (who the gently caress is scheduling this?)

They had a later game last week and it didn't exactly seem any more packed than it was today.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Unless something happens in the next 36 hours, this USFL will have played more games than the XFL did in 2020.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

To be fair XFL 2.0 got nuked by Covid after like week 2. I mean failure is the overwhelmingly most likely outcome for any of these leagues but they really never even had a chance.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Remember when the AAF just ran out of money

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

AAF was the only alternative league that captured my heart. don't know why. i don't even remember if that incredibly violent qb hit came from the aaf. BUt it may as well have. That's the bottom line

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I feel like this really sells short how wild the ride was with the AAF, even if "ran out of money" was the proximate cause of death. They could make another season of Ballers except it's the AAF and it would be good TV.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Orlando Apollos was the first team in Florida I liked and rooted for so of course they bit the dust.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pasaluki posted:

Orlando Apollos was the first team in Florida I liked and rooted for so of course they bit the dust.

they were the only moral Florida team because of the Spurdog

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

a neat cape posted:

They didn't just run out of money, they never had any money. Their main investor was Reggie Fowler, who is infamous for trying to buy the Vikings as a general partner before he refused to provide any financial details. So he became a limited partner of Wilf, mostly so he wouldn't lose his 20 million deposit. The AAF knew that he was shady, and it only came out after the league shut down that he was even involved. They purposely tried to keep other investors from finding out that Fowler was involved. Fowler pulled out after the first week of the season, which was why they sold to Dundon, who eventually shut down the league because apparently all he wanted was the gambling app they had created.

Fowler is going to jail for a bunch of shady crypto dealings, and oh yea having counterfeit money in his office.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lachlan Mudroch says that Fox Corporation will sell individual teams to investors in "five to seven years", which makes sense - if the USFL lasts that long, it's worth something.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Edward Mass posted:

Lachlan Mudroch says that Fox Corporation will sell individual teams to investors in "five to seven years", which makes sense - if the USFL lasts that long, it's worth something.

I think the USFL does two seasons (this one and next) and it folds. They're super stressed internally about the XFL.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

First overall pick in the draft Shea Patterson
https://twitter.com/USFLPanthers/status/1529637291035004928

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

As soon as they picked him I knew they were going to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

soggybagel posted:

It's not real grass either.

On top of that gate receipts really don't matter at all. Obviously the optics of an empty stadium are ripe to be mocked, but tickets are 10 dollars and its all GA. They could have zero people attend all year. It's literally all about hitting a minimum threshold of ratings across the year.

Yeah, I read an interview months ago in the lead up to launch that USFL 2.0 is a straight up content play. Attendance would be a nice bonus, but they don't really care about that part. The vibe here in Birmingham though has been a lot of, "let's see if this thing even makes it to its own playoffs."

Since the World Games are starting in Birmingham fairly soon, the top-4 teams in USFL will relocate to Canton Ohio for a couple of weeks to do the playoffs and championship. Barring the current bottom-4 teams actually finding a pulse, that should be 1. Birmingham, 2. New Orleans, 3. New Jersey and either Philadelphia/Tampa Bay at #4.