Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There can be a ton of organizational inertia once a project or department has spun up, especially if a director's job or prestige depends on its continued existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sandweed posted:

Isn't this what Ubisoft is doing? I haven't heard about their NFT stuff in long long while.

ubisoft did it once for ghost recon wildlands, saw like less than $500 worth of sales total, and then quietly pretended it didn't exist

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I can't help but wonder how much of it is an attempt to save face. Because the alternative is someone saying "yeah, we sold off Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and a bunch of other poo poo for pennies on the dollar so we could plow it into this thing that, haha whoops, is a lovely boondoggle that customers loathe," and I think that's a severe enough admission that you wouldn't get to keep your golden parachute.

Yeah this isn’t just a company spokesperson who is trying to make the company look as good as possible. This is the CEO, the guy whose job is to set the overall direction of the company. He is personally responsible for making sure that things like “we sold our most beloved franchises in order to invest all possible resources into a technological fad right before its catastrophic collapse” don’t happen, and it is very much in his best interest to make it seem as though that is not what happened.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The best thing about NFTs mixed with techbro C-level executives is that not only do NFTs fail, but they actively drive current customers away! Like many gamers will actually never buy anything from your company again, because of a loathing of crypto/NFTs as an ecosystem.

NFTs are bad, but the whole entity needs to die in a fire. Not one caused by tinderbox vegetation, either :argh:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

The best thing about NFTs mixed with techbro C-level executives is that not only do NFTs fail, but they actively drive current customers away! Like many gamers will actually never buy anything from your company again, because of a loathing of crypto/NFTs as an ecosystem.

NFTs are bad, but the whole entity needs to die in a fire. Not one caused by tinderbox vegetation, either :argh:

I mean possibly, but the real answer here is that the majority of people for any big company with large games covering a huge number of people will either not know it even happened, not understand it, or not care.

There are more people that hate NFTs and would possibly boycott a company's products than your standard vocal minority, but it's still got to be a vocal minority. Your baseline consumer is ignorant of things like this, unfortunately. Beyond that, I imagine there's a large portion of those people in that angry group that will either forget that a company is attempting to use NFTs or don't know if they've stopped or not.

Regardless, it looks like almost every company has backpedaled hard on them and decided to not get into them "without further research" and, on top of that, NFTs as a whole are almost loving dead and even crypto is on its death bed so thankfully this trend should resolve itself "soon."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Speaking of Square Enix, they recently discontinued support for not one, not two, but three different games after about a year of service. Everyone who spent money on these games, be it the initial purchase price or the microtransactions, is now totally in the lurch, their money wasted. Square Enix’s customers are expected to pony up for the promise of long-term support, you see, but Square Enix itself feels no obligation to uphold their end of that bargain if it turns out they failed to create an especially successful product.

All that being said, can’t wait for the new blockchain thing! I’m hyped to buy an NFT that represents an in-game item that will totally, absolutely, definitely exist for more than 12 months.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What IP's do they even have left that anyone cares about that isn't Final Fantasy?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nier and related games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Popete posted:

What IP's do they even have left that anyone cares about that isn't Final Fantasy?

Japan really likes Dragon Quest.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

ultrafilter posted:

Nier and related games.

Giant android asses as NFTs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ultrafilter posted:

Nier and related games.

Square Enix is really determined to run that poo poo into the ground. So many Nier crossovers with other games. it even got a lovely mobile game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandweed posted:

Isn't this what Ubisoft is doing? I haven't heard about their NFT stuff in long long while.

UBISoft and EA Games were quietly trying to test the waters, and then very quietly dropped it altogether. Square is the only major publisher trying to get into the Web3 scam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Square Enix is really determined to run that poo poo into the ground. So many Nier crossovers with other games. it even got a lovely mobile game.

Oh no, a mobile game. Truly, a mark of shame against any IP, especially a Japanese one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ariong posted:

Speaking of Square Enix, they recently discontinued support for not one, not two, but three different games after about a year of service. Everyone who spent money on these games, be it the initial purchase price or the microtransactions, is now totally in the lurch, their money wasted. Square Enix’s customers are expected to pony up for the promise of long-term support, you see, but Square Enix itself feels no obligation to uphold their end of that bargain if it turns out they failed to create an especially successful product.

All that being said, can’t wait for the new blockchain thing! I’m hyped to buy an NFT that represents an in-game item that will totally, absolutely, definitely exist for more than 12 months.

Not defending Square here but this is now common. In our digital nightmare future games are being delisted constantly. Most of them can be played if you at least purchased them but several are not so lucky. I know Ubi was briefly going to completely kill a few titles and/or their DLC but delayed that due to backlash.

It's an absolute insane loving nightmare we're now living in. Epic, with absolutely no warning, pulled their ancient Unreal games from sale on Steam overnight due to them no longer wanting to support the old MP systems. This includes the singleplayer games because they had MP components.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Square is basically an elaborate rube goldberg machine for transferring ffxiv money to an incinerator

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
They announced SYMBIOGENESIS in November so they clearly didn't get the memo after the market largely died

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ariong posted:

Speaking of Square Enix, they recently discontinued support for not one, not two, but three different games after about a year of service.

Gonna guess those are all mobile titles? Which ones were they?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Saoshyant posted:

The third might be, but the other two were Babylon's Fall and Chocobo GP. Launch to death under a year, BF was sub-6 months if I recall.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Two of them were Chocobo Racing, and Babylon's Fall. Both were actually good games, but they weren't marketed correctly at all, and the focus on them for Square was their cash shops. Babylon's Fall is actually a really good game, but it released right alongside Elden Ring, and with a huge loving pay to win cash shop, so less than like 20,000 people bought it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

One of them is Babylon's Fall and another is the FF7 Battle Royale, the latter of which is mobile exclusive but probably shouldn't have been if they wanted anyone to know about it.

e: I think Chocobo GP got announced around or even in the same nintendo direct as the MK8DX DLC, so it had a one-two punch of getting overshadowed by a bigger IP and then revealing itself to have a crappy cash shop and battlepass system compared to MK8's huge amount of stuff without all that.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 3, 2023

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh gently caress, I legit forgot First Soldier existed.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I saw some people like it, but all of them had a setup that let them play it with a better display and controls which just underlines the fundamental issue.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dang, those are all bad games. BF had negative reviews all across the board even. And two of the three being actual retail titles, while also having cash shops to avoid the awful grinding mechanics is just the sort of thing modern Square Enix would do.

Except, I'm sorry, the attempt at making a Final Fantasy VII Fortnite no one wanted may take the cake. Because of course they would try to chase that get rich scheme waaaay too late.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds. Go all in on NFTs next, yes!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Shine on, you crazy diamonds. Go all in on NFTs next, yes!

At least i'll save some money if they do this. :/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drakenel posted:

while telling any braindead investor that asks about it that it's 'still in development'. (And then never finish it.)

Is this really something Square Enix is capable of though?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Excited for when the square execs say "we need a killer app to make NFTs work, and the best way to do that will be to attach them to a must buy title" and then ff7 remake part 2 requires nft purchases to progress

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Babylon's Fall is not a good game at all, like aside from some setting trappings it's just bad all around and the culmination of everything Platinum wanted to do starting with Scalebound lol

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh no, a mobile game. Truly, a mark of shame against any IP, especially a Japanese one.

Just because its common doesn't change the fact that its a lovely cash grab lol.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Unity just released a bunch of "verified" solutions for blockchain:

"Decentralized technologies for gaming"
https://assetstore.unity.com/decentralization

I have to say, I can't see anyone talking about this on my Unity discord, the forums, or on r/Unity3D.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's been like one or two people in the Naninovel discord wanting to do something NFT with it but both sounded like ideas guys, naturally

More recently it's been "I made an entire VN with AI" and "I've been wanting to do infinite seinfeld since 2018 actually"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah I feel like a new tech gimmick has arrived and a bunch of those "idea guys" that were really into nfts in gaming have just moved on to the next thing. I'm sure there's still people out there wanting to grift or make something of it but I feel like its time as 'the next big thing' has passed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

small butter posted:

Unity just released a bunch of "verified" solutions for blockchain:

"Decentralized technologies for gaming"
https://assetstore.unity.com/decentralization

I have to say, I can't see anyone talking about this on my Unity discord, the forums, or on r/Unity3D.

Unity merged with ironSource (a company that finds innovative ways to insert ads into every-loving-thing) last year for pretty much the explicit purpose of doing this, and filling Unity with a bunch of other trash-tier ways for devs to monetize their games:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/07/unity-and-ironsources-4-4b-merger-is-now-complete/

Meanwhile its CEO made statements about how monetization should be the main focus of any game dev and said indie devs who don't put monetization first are "some of the biggest loving idiots."
https://www.thegamer.com/unity-ceo-game-dev-monetization-fcking-idiots/

I would not at all be surprised if future versions of Unity do something like charge the devs nickle-and-diming fees in several obtuse ways which the dev can sidestep by paying a yearly premium or by clicking an "enable ad-supported" toggle that makes the players watch ads regularly with all of the revenue going to Unity to cover the fees.

(Much like every "disruptive" software company that grows big, as soon as they "disrupted", got the market share and pushed several competitors out of business, they panicked because there was no more market share to gain and began tanking their product for the sake of their investors' returns - and they will probably be wildly successful because they do not have much competition anymore)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 2, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That's kinda reaching when it's just a bunch of NFT poo poo in the third-party store getting a highlight page.

Unreal has NFT poo poo in their third-party store too. No special highlight page or verified tags -- though it doesn't look like Unreal does verified tags to begin with. So despite how Epic was kinda "pfft :jerkbag:" about NFTs in public commentary, they have zero opposition to making a buck off the poo poo being supported in their ecosystem.

IMO it's mostly funny that Unity is rolling out a pro-NFT ad 6 months late. Very Unity.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I feel like a new tech gimmick has arrived and a bunch of those "idea guys" that were really into nfts in gaming have just moved on to the next thing. I'm sure there's still people out there wanting to grift or make something of it but I feel like its time as 'the next big thing' has passed.

Just think... procedurally generated AI level design.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Clarste posted:

Just think... procedurally generated AI level design.

What's the difference between this and the way seeds of roguelites work? Is there any?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, instead of giving it handcrafted rules to follow, you'd just feed it a bunch of existing level designs and it learns from that, I suppose? And then it makes an exact copy of SotN by accident.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah but this time the castle's upside down! Wait...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DerekSmartymans posted:

A place I used to buy physical items from sent out a "We're doing NFTs of our stuff!" email and I emailed back explaining why I was never buying anything from them ever again. Apparently I wasn't the only one because the announcement never even hit their website. I still don't buy from them anymore though, they were dumb enough to let it get that far so I no longer trust them with my credit card info.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The one legitimate use of AI game design is making a game where everyone has hosed up hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lammasu posted:

The one legitimate use of AI game design is making a game where everyone has hosed up hands.

But didn't original Final Fantasy VII already do this?