Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://twitter.com/larsiusprime/status/1459207090023669764?s=20

This is news to me. Axie infinity runs on a "private blockchain"? Then what's the point of using a blockchain at all? They could have just made a normal-rear end videogame with a centralized database and it would have worked the same, other than its ability to attract leagues of credulous speculators to buy all its poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Deltasquid posted:

So, looking at NFT's from an intellectual property law perspective, one could argue that NFT's are a way to prove ownership of intellectual property over an artwork.

For example, let's say you're a digital artist selling smut commissions online. Under a lot of legal systems, the artist keeps the intellectual property rights (eg they can stop unauthorized third parties from altering the image, profiting off of it, resharing it etC. without their permission) but you can legally "sell" the intellectual property rights (for example, the person commissioning the art piece) so they can use it for whatever they feel like (eg, using it on their company website, for advertising, etc.) One of the issues in litigation is the burden of proof: it's not too problematic in fight between parties A and B themselves (the purchaser can point to the contract by which they bought the IP) but things get messier when, for example, the original artist (or an agent claiming to represent them) tries to get a third party (eg a hosting website) to remove content that was allegedly uploaded without permission. The third party has no real way of knowing who sold their IP to whom.

My understanding is that NFT's could be used as a public registry to prove that ownership has been transferred from party A to party B, so that when party B goes to court they can point at an NFT (similar to how you can go to a notary and prove, on the basis of a public registry, that you own a piece of real estate or a security on some assets or whatever)

However my understanding is also that, in practice, the NFTs you can buy online are not actually sold alongside the intellectual property rights, so the artist keeps the rights to do as they please with the image?

I feel like theoretically NFTs linked to images could be used in an interesting way (increase legal certainty in fringe cases which might be useful like with copyright litigation and proving who is owner of an image) but techbros aren't actually doing that?

The problem with using NFTs on the ~decentralized trustless blockchain~ for things like legal ownership and contractual agreements is that those things can change.

What if I an artist, create some promotional work for a company and sign a contract assigning my copyright to them, but keep the NFT?
What if I give you a 5-year copyright license to play my music in your TV show, but then 5 years later when the license expires you don't send the token back?
What if I send you an NFT but never actually sign the legal contract assigning copyright?

In real life, registries and documents can go out of date all the time, but we can still fix and update them after the fact. But the whole main feature of NFTs (and blockchain stuff in general) is that you can't do anything without the NFT owners' private cryptographic keys, meaning the records can never be fixed. If someone stubbornly holds onto an NFT representing a copyright that they don't legally have any right to anymore.... you can't do anything about it.
So you still need some actual centralized public record that courts and lawyers can actually modify to represent the real owner, outside of all the NFT stuff. But once you have that you have no more need for the NFTs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Really what happens is Western cryptobros "invest" in three of a million samey Unique Digital Pokemans, then they hire Philipino sweatshop workers for a few bucks per day (higher than the minimum wage there!) to play with them and earn ingame currency on their "investment".
The game has an official feature to let someone else play with your axies while you take 30% of their income or whatever.
Then you use that ingame currency to create more pokemans which you can then trade/sell to other players for realmoney, or lease them out to more sweatshop workers to grind ranked for you.
There is no actual cashflow beyond new players "buying in" to the game, and the min-wage "scholar" workers cashing out their axiecoins for realmoney to buy food/rent, so once the game stops growing and attracting new rubes to inject money, it will lose the 98% of its playerbase who are only there for the money.

As far as I can tell, nobody actually plays it for fun.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 4, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If the "on-chain equivalent" play-to-earn game is just as fun as the one I paid $60 for, where is the money coming from?
If it's actually fun, who is paying me to play this game instead of playing it themselves? How does the money that leaves the system through "earnings" get back in?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Installing crypto miners on users' machines is so 2015
You'd get literal pennies per month per player nowadays, there are way too many actual cryptobro-owned warehouses full of gpus running 24/7 as your competition.

It'd be more profitable to just have pop-up ads in game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

Maybe in this contrived scenario, Blizzard does want interoperability, but not with any specific game - they've made the items NFTs as sort of an open-ended invitation to other developers to add support for them, in the hopes that it will make those NFTs more attractive to buyers. Eventually those NFTs could be supported by enough games that they're useful to have even if you never play Diablo 4, or even if Blizzard completely closes down and shuts off their servers. Perhaps they're part of a larger pool of NFTs that are expected to do something in a lot of games, with enough developers seeing this as a trendy thing that they add support for them ("Come play our game, we support all your NFTs!")

(I think this is a dumb gimmick that will probably never happen and isn't worth the many downsides including literally destroying the planet, but it does seem like functionality that a blockchain technically "helps" with.)

They could also just add a public inventory api, so other games/software could query blizz's servers to see what's in your diablo inventory without needing a blockchain.
In fact Bungie already does this with Destiny 2 -- there are third-party websites like Destiny Item Manager use Bungie's api to display your inventory and even move stuff around or equip it.

Right at this very moment you could create a lovely web game that gives you +25 to damage if your Destiny character has a matching-element shotgun equipped. But nobody wants to do that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The luddites should have smashed capitalists instead of smashing machines.
In a sane world inventing a machine that means you don't have to work anymore would be a good thing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Another important detail: the currency you earn by paying is called Small Love Potions. The only use of SLP is spending a chunk to breed two of your pokemans together and create a new one. Selling that new axie to a new prospective player / whip-cracker is the only way new realmoney actually enters the system. So the price of the SLP that these Pinoy goldfarmers are paid in can only stay stable if there are constant new realmoney buy-ins from new players -- exponential growth.

Much like an IRL ponzi scheme, old investors are only paid with the money from new investors buying in, so the second it stops growing exponentially the profits dry up and it collapses.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The game is Axie Infinity. And you can actually start 'playing' for free if you find one of those $450 dweebs to sponsor you by loaning you their pokemans (in exchange for half of the money you earn).

So the people who spend money don't even play pokemon, they just become a videogame sweatshop operator cracking a whip at an army of third world gamers to get their ranked matches in for the day, then taking a cut of those people's earnings in hopes of paying back their initial investment.

Playing as a full time job gets you a bit less than the Filipino minimum wage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Also if you think it's just a one-time environmental cost to create them, you are mistaken. The ethereum/etc networks which they need to exist consume massive amounts of electricity just to continue not collapsing, and the second they stop consuming that electricity your nft no longer works and can't be bought or sold. Even if you buy and hold your monkey jpeg and never ever trade it, you still need the network running full tilt 24/7 just for it to stay online so that you can trade it later.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FishMcCool posted:

Poor cryptobros, forced to try and get back their toys through a centralised government-backed law-enforcement body. The INDIGNITY! :negative:

They're not toys, mom! They're capital investments! I need those to run my minimum-wage pinoy goldfarmer sweatshops!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

organburner posted:

Yeah afaik most of these people aren't actually people who play games or care about games.

At least that's the way it seems, I've yet to see an NFT game that could stand on its own, they all seem to live and die on the NFT hype.

there's an nft game by twitch-gamer-turned-cult-leader Athene:
https://clashofstreamers.com/

Or specifically it was developed by people working for free in his "religious compound" in germany
but most of the people involved had actually touched videogames before!
it's still terrible

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

organburner posted:

Wait aren't assassins creed games single player?
You're buying an NFT for a single player game?
Like at least if you buy a CS knife you can kind of show it off so even if I think that's dumb this is even more dumberer.

They already sell real money skins for single player games, NFTs aren't that far off.
For example, Immortals: Fenyx Rising has a massive cash shop full of cosmetics and mount skins and its own otherwise-useless cash shop currency you have to convert realdollars into.
(You can't even spend the lovely cash shop currency on buying the expansion packs, those are real money only.)

you would need to spend 85 dollars to get all the skin packs in this tab, plus there are a bunch of weapon and mount skins too

this is a full price game that costs $60

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Somfin posted:

Anything they have, from appearance to utility, is purely there to increase the value when they sell (or, more likely, are used as collateral to get loans). No-one wants to actually own them.

That's not true, some nfts are designed for people to actually own them (because they give access to a ponzi-like income stream fueled by other people buying more nfts or nft derivatives). This is how axie infinity worked for example.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What an awful article.
Summary: "huh, sales and revenue are shrinking for everything besides FF14. Now I will list some random blockchain plans squenix has and make no attempt to tie them to the title or to write a conclusion."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sandweed posted:

Isn't this what Ubisoft is doing? I haven't heard about their NFT stuff in long long while.

ubisoft did it once for ghost recon wildlands, saw like less than $500 worth of sales total, and then quietly pretended it didn't exist

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what a wonderful chart
https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1635746780842164224?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Hides web3 under the hood" makes it sound like they want to make an actual real normal rear end square enix game and then just introduce nft bullshit into the cash shop, so they can scam normal consumers and not just crypto bros.
Unlike say most of the poo poo on Elixir's own website which the typical "web3 game" barely-a-game BS where you need to link your crypto wallet before you can even play the tutorial.