Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The games have 8-bit graphics at 12FPS because the rest of your 3080 is mining.

e: Having read that Twitter thread I have no idea what this dude is on about. That's.... Not how companies or anything works?

Honestly I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Someone will build middleware that makes it easy to turn a game’s unused cpu/gpu budget into a crypto mining operation. You’ll earn, the game dev will earn, whales will shove real money into the system, etc. the top 0.001% of players will earn enough crypto to draw in the masses who think they’re gonna strike it rich. The game dev can insert themselves with mining fees and transaction fees and so on and profit the whole way.

I am so, so deeply unhappy with this oncoming trend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

quote:

Republic Realm, to its credit, doesn’t seem to really care. “There’s plenty of people that also think bitcoin’s a scam,” CEO Janine Yorio told Motherboard last month. “Meanwhile, the crypto investors are driving around in Lamborghinis and living their best lives.”

that's exactly how the scam works, actually.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Somehow blockchain is going to be the reason that companies want to do this and all of the legal reasons they had in the past around software/asset licensing, losing trademark protection, damaging their intellectual property, etc are totally irrelevant in this cryptobro future. Any game company worth their salt is definitely going to want to hand off their product to a DAO who may use it to compete against whatever new properties the studio may come up with in the same space, like you know sequels and stuff.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, they could charge a subscription for access to the blockchain, I don't know how this works.

Ship it! :trustme:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here is someone who believes that the Gamestop NFT Marketplace will soon be earning Gamestop millions of dollars per hour because things like real estate deeds and car titles are going to be sold on a failed video game retailer's NFT Marketplace for some reason.

hey at least the guy had a good username/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A lot of NFT talk in gaming is about ownership, something that is mind-blowingly already done. If you look back at Star Wars Galaxies, a weird janky crafting MMO from 2003 I'm pretty certain that items crafted by players (which was nearly all items) had the character's name who made it on it. If not, I'm sure there are other MMO's that have done that since. Also, MMO's have been doing "this gear is tradeable unless you put it on" forms of ownership since vanilla WoW if not earlier in EQ. It genuinely floors me that there are people out there trying to sell NFTs in gaming as though these are new concepts that we just now have the technology or systems to handle.

IIRC, Raph Koster mentioned in the post-mortem at GDC that the crafting system exploded their databases. Presumably a MMO made today could handle an order of magnitude (or two?) more crap in the DB, but it only need just that... a database. Blockchain not necessary lol.