Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This NFT thing reminds me of emu ranching in the 90s. Huge money was moved selling them for breading but no one actually ate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I kind of liked Snow Crash but I swear to God I want to go back in time and strangle Stephenson in his crib for coining metaverse.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

It wasn’t just the meat but also the Fat which was supposed to be big money. The problem was the cost of the feed to feed the fuckin things and also the fact that no one was actually killing them so there ended up being loads of people with fat birds that no one could do anything with.

You had to keep feeding them a lot to keep that fat on them.

In the end the fat is worth a poo poo load but the meat is worthless.

Yeah it was still going then.

My dad ended up making money off the emu deal but it was a long hosed up road to get there.

Emu fat is actually valuable now but there aren’t many people producing it at this point.

I had an emu burger at the county fair once. It wasn't bad. Didn't taste like chicken but wasn't bad.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

Emu is red meat which is kinda unique. It’s also really lean and super easy to over cook.

I’ve had enough to last me a lifetime and I’ll never eat it again. I don’t care how healthy it is.

It’s really good for pet food though which is what ended up happening with most of it.

I'm surprised they aren't pushing it again as some kind of compromise between eating cows and insects.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I just saw they are opening an NFT restaurant in New York which sounds like the stupidest God damned thing ever.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Coeurl Marx posted:

Way back in the thread but what the gently caress. I remember we had one around here when I was young, they sold emu jerky and had their bigass eggs on display. I had no idea it was some crazy fad, I thought it was just the product of a local crazy or something. The last I ever remember hearing about it, some of the Emus had broken out and were continually outsmarting local cops lmao.

Thanks for the insight on some very weird childhood memories.

I'm kind of surprised they arn't trying to bring it back. Emu meat seems like a nice compromise between the high carbon footprint of beef and eating God damned bugs.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not easy to cook though. It really won’t ever catch on.

Is it harder to cook than bugs?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Less Fat Luke posted:

A story in two parts:

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513594380942073861

https://twitter.com/Pierce_Brown/status/1513934960855379968

I love seeing people back down on their scam launches after their own fans bully them, usually in less than 24 hours.

Who in the Nine Hells is this guy?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Less Fat Luke posted:

An author who wrote a fairly popular young adult series of books named Red Rising.

So he wants teenagers to buy NFTs?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Arrrthritis posted:

I love how this is a solution to a problem nobody had and creates several more problems in the process.

I guess that describes blockchain in general tho

The only thing blockchain solves problems for is anarcho-capitalism and that because it's a non-viable political system.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
https://kotaku.com/nft-market-collapse-square-enix-ubisoft-sega-konami-sca-1848878945

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is kind of like a guy trying to sell soda on the Titanic after the iceberg hit.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What the gently caress does Web3 even mean? I don't think I've heard anyone define it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I looked it up and it's literally just blockchain. I constantly see these cryptobros talking about how companies are adapting blockchain for data storage or something but I can never find any examples.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So, the president of El Salvador invested heavily in Bitcoin and now the country might have to default. Think they will parade his corpse through the streets?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Now that I think about it, dropping all the cryptobros on an island and forcing them to fight to the death is a good idea.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Oh God, it's at a NFT gaming convention.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Popete posted:

So I looked up this convention and :lol:

But you have to meet the criteria to be selected to this exclusive event!

For something that's supposed to empower the gaming masses it sure seems picky on who gets to see it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
A man that suggests in game crafting taking hours is broken on the inside.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Samovar posted:

These people have no loving clue how loving goddamn crazy they sound. Nothing. Not ONE thing in that sounded fun.

Ever seen the Stimpire copypasta in the Star Citizen thread? It's like that only someone saying how hype it sounds.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looked up to see what dude knows and it's, surprise surprise, web development. His LinkedIn public profile is kind of dumb but he very clearly has no idea what he's talking about obviously.

He has a site claiming to have invested millions of dollars but I would be willing to bet he's counting funny money and not actual fiat currency.

I dare anyone to listen to his podcast and remain sane.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kikas posted:

Look, there is only one thing you need to check if a scummy practice like NTFs is commercially viable for games: Is EA doing it?

The answer, for now, is a big fat "no". So if the biggest microtransaction giant on the market is not interested in the "hot new technology" it seems it's not the hot.

I never thought about it that way. You have places like Square Enix and Ubisoft trying blockchain but the microtransaction king isn't bothering with it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Axie Infinity now says it was never about the money.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just realized episodes of Teen Titans Go! exhibited a better understanding of economics than cryptobros.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Web3 console. 8K/120 FPS with ray tracing. Totally going to happen and not drug fueled hubris.
https://twitter.com/Polium__/status/1543288314433867777?s=20&t=f0JoXFuIdFNuArTMafX07Q

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I went to their website, and they have a connect button that doesn't do a God damned thing.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
They have four loving people working on this.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Slope broke his rule about not covering something till it's done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7zNIjOM54

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I love how cryptobros think people just don't understand NFTs so if they talk about it for a couple more hours they will win people over.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember the Polium multi blockchain console a few pages back? They deleted their Twitter account.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Deffon posted:

It still exists, they just removed the underscores from their twitter handle:
https://twitter.com/Polium

I find that even stupider.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I find it hilarious in multiple ways that the official game website linked from that article looks like this now.

It now links to a Facebook page. What in the Nine Hells is going on?

Lammasu fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 19, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Feldegast42 posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that my inner child makes me wonder if I'm somehow missing something with crypto. Even the people that defined my childhood are running straight into the buzzsaw with this poo poo and I just cannot understand it.

Its the biggest pyramid / Ponzi scheme of all time.

People that see themselves as innovators want to keep innovating even if it's something stupid.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Another NFT game company went bankrupt because they invested in Luna.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

Here’s a good one from another thread.

lol

Wait, I thought that Xbox had a policy of not releasing AO games? GOD drat IT! I better be getting my weird rear end hentai VAs.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So NFT trading has fallen 97% since January. Yet they keep pushing this stuff.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Metaverse project Decentaland had 38 active users.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Why are they still doing this? Gamers didn't want NFTs, only speculators did, and most of them got out when the market collapsed.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Anticheese posted:

Corporate projects take forever to happen, and this probably got started during the hype

Can't they just cancel it? I mean Discovery canceled the Batgirl and Scooby Doo movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Year in Review